A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café > Café Archives
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Dec 2 2008, 11:13 PM   #41
kevia
Ballybran Resident

Tuner

Fan of: Nimisha's Ship
Now Reading: Crystal Line
Default Re: Off to Belgium

Hope your samples made it safely. I know it is a working trip, but I hope you get some opportunities for fun stuff, too.
Old Dec 3 2008, 06:25 AM   #42
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevia View Post
Hope your samples made it safely. I know it is a working trip, but I hope you get some opportunities for fun stuff, too.
they did thanks.

I hope so too
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4 2008, 02:50 PM   #43
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Anyway, a proper update...

I have internet of sorts!
I'm sitting in what's the canteen at lunchtime in the building I'm staying in.
Unfortunately it doesn't serve food in the evenings! :irked:
It does have a wifi connection to the guest network though so I can pop online for a little bit.
I got to the station in Delft on time. Unfortunately the train was late.
That meant that I missed my connection.
So I had to wait 50 minutes for the next train to Antwerpen Central.
Anterwpen Central is spectacular! Its four storeys high and the bottom is a modern international train terminal and as you go up you reach this gorgeous glass roofed structure which takes your breath away!
Of course I had to go from the bottom floor to the top floor for my next connection.
I don't think I caught the train I was going to catch but there were plenty of trains to Gent.
I got to Gent and was met by the guy I'm working with for the next three weeks and got to the uni.
The uni is nice, very different to Delft and I'm getting used to the experimental set-up.
I'm staying in a nearby Hall of Residence, which is actually the only thing I'm unhappy with. Mostly because I have no internet in my room, but also because there is nowhere apart from Pizza Hut and the Lunch Garden to eat in this bit of Gent so I'm living on salads and things from the supermarket and coffee from the machine downstairs.
I am so looking forward to going back to Delft!

Actually this place feels so weird, at least the bit I'm staying in is, because at street level it looks and feels so much like home (as in the nearest towns to me in Mid Wales) and then I come across something that is so, so different- like the live lobsters in the supermarket!
Old Dec 4 2008, 04:02 PM   #44
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Thanks for the update. First time I hear a part of Belgium compared to Wales

Hang on in there. Can't you go into Gent in the weekend and stock up on some food. I mean if Belgium is famous for something different than chocolate and beer it's the gourmet food!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4 2008, 04:19 PM   #45
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Thanks for the update. First time I hear a part of Belgium compared to Wales

Hang on in there. Can't you go into Gent in the weekend and stock up on some food. I mean if Belgium is famous for something different than chocolate and beer it's the gourmet food!
There's a good supermarket but I've limited cooking things (thanks to a very nice PhD student in the office I'm in who gave me some of her old things)
This weekend, if the whole place isn't shut down for Sinterklaas, I'm going into town all day on Saturday and hopefully Sunday.

It's just like Wales at street level. Especially in this weather!
Old Dec 5 2008, 06:31 PM   #46
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Fan of: Skies of Pern: what else?
Now Reading: My computer screen

Edith, do you have a camera with you? I'd love too see pictures; especially the railway station with the arching roof. Then again, I know how long it takes to download photos on a slow internet connection.

Enjoy your visit to town.
Old Dec 6 2008, 12:49 AM   #47
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Edith...Well at least you don't have to be there for very long...and when you get back to Delft it will seem more like home, and you will be thankfully for all it wonderful charms.
I do hope you have a fantastic weekend...and get to see and eat lots of wonderful things.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6 2008, 04:55 AM   #48
Hans
Master Archivist

Maelin

Edith is there for longer than a weekend! She'll be there for about THREE weeks

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Dec 6 2008, 01:07 PM   #49
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenB View Post
Edith, do you have a camera with you? I'd love too see pictures; especially the railway station with the arching roof. Then again, I know how long it takes to download photos on a slow internet connection.

Enjoy your visit to town.
I have a camera. I need to take a lot of photos of thin films while I'm here.

I've also taken a lot of photos in town (for me anyway). I'll try and upload a few later.
Unfortunately I didn't have time to get photos in Antwerpen station on the way in. If I time it right I might be able to get a few on the way home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post
Edith...Well at least you don't have to be there for very long...and when you get back to Delft it will seem more like home, and you will be thankfully for all it wonderful charms.
I do hope you have a fantastic weekend...and get to see and eat lots of wonderful things.
Unfortunately, there's not much in the way of exciting food where I'm staying, but I did have a very, very, very nice mocha thing today- made with melted chocolate!

Quote:
Maelin

Edith is there for longer than a weekend! She'll be there for about THREE weeks
Three long, long weeks!
I am never complaining about DUWO again!
Old Dec 6 2008, 11:20 PM   #50
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Quote:
Edith...This weekend, if the whole place isn't shut down for Sinterklaas, I'm going into town all day on Saturday and hopefully Sunday.
Quote:
...there is nowhere apart from Pizza Hut and the Lunch Garden to eat in this bit of Gent so I'm living on salads and things from the supermarket and coffee from the machine downstairs.

Edith and Hans...I was wishing you a lovely weekend this weekend, as you said that you were going to try and go into town for both Saturday and Sunday, if it wasn't shut down.
I knew you were there for a lot more than a weekend, or you wouldn't have worried about finding some better food, than pizza and salads...and what sounded like limited access to the coffee.......

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Dec 7 2008, 10:40 AM   #51
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

It's ok Maelin.

Ooh Maelin, what's your opinion of Rubens? There's a picture in the cathedral here which I'm going to see next week I think.

I had a very nice lunch today- rabbit.
Old Dec 7 2008, 11:24 AM   #52
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

I am a rubbish photographer!

I did get this picture though from The Castle of the Counts

and one photo that now I've edited I'll post in the exhibit hall some time.
Old Dec 7 2008, 11:41 AM   #53
Hans
Master Archivist

Uhm, Edith was it really "konijn" you ate or did the menu say "waterkonijn"...

And your picture is really nice!

Old Dec 7 2008, 12:50 PM   #54
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Thanks for posting the picture. Rubbish photographer? Rubbish! Your picture looks great - nicely framed though what looks like an archer's peep hole. What are the buildings reflected in the water?

I hope the 3 weeks turn out to be really enjoyable, with many more melted chocolate experiences... Oh, and I wish you successful thin films photography (although less important than the chocolate research).
Old Dec 7 2008, 02:17 PM   #55
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Quote:
Uhm, Edith was it really "konijn" you ate or did the menu say "waterkonijn"...

And your picture is really nice!
It was konijn

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenB View Post
Thanks for posting the picture. Rubbish photographer? Rubbish! Your picture looks great - nicely framed though what looks like an archer's peep hole. What are the buildings reflected in the water?

I hope the 3 weeks turn out to be really enjoyable, with many more melted chocolate experiences... Oh, and I wish you successful thin films photography (although less important than the chocolate research).
The rest are blurred! I have really wobbly hands, especially when I'm up a tower (I really, really don't like spiral staircases as my coordination and eyesight are really bad). Though I haven't looked at today's yet. I'm not sure what the buildings are though.

I was proud (after I edited it very heavily) of this photo taken at the same place:

Unfortunately my camera threw a hissey fit so this is heavily edited to cut down the glare as most of the original was grey. It's the window in what was originally the chapel but which was turned into the holding place for prisoners waiting to see the torturer.
I found it rather a strange place. Slightly empty feeling , but then the poor tower has been through so many different reincarnations there isn't very much of it that has held the same role for very long!
Old Dec 7 2008, 04:41 PM   #56
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

I enjoyed looking at the first photo, and was amazed at the beauty of the last one.
I do hope that you enjoyed yourself this weekend, and got to something fun.

Rubens...I LOVE his work, especailly one painting in particular...

*Old woman and a boy with candles*...

http://www.mauritshuis.nl/index.aspx...ontentId=17771

It is thought that he did this painting for his one pleasure...in its extreme beauty I would believe it. He is probably more known for his beautiful nudes...but I have always enjoyed this one best. It speaks of the painting styles of Rembrant and Caravaggio...they did such incredibly beautiful pieces, focused on how light can bring a painting to life. In this one you can see the life in the woman and boy, and feel the warmth and movement of the candle. What more could you possibly want from a painting...these two people will be alive forever, immortized by a great painters love of his work.

Please let me know what you think of his work...and what piece you got to see. I would give much to be able to see one of these in person...someday.

Old Dec 7 2008, 06:00 PM   #57
Hans
Master Archivist

Ah, Peter Paul and his voluptuous nudes He shows us his time('s nudity), so well...

Right, this does it. The Mauritshuis is now definitely on the agenda when you visit Holland, Master Maelin!

Old Dec 8 2008, 03:58 PM   #58
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Hans....OoooOOOh, lets hope so...or I will have to take your American whiskey supply and go home...

Old Dec 15 2008, 06:11 AM   #59
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Update:

Well I went to the cathedral and saw the Reuben's picture. It was good, but the setting, well, I suppose I was in one of my weird moods and the whole place felt wrong (actually- by the whole place, I mean more than just the cathedral, I found the whole town a bit much on Saturday).
The town was very busy and everywhere I went I could hear raised English voices .
It's funny, there were English tourists last week, but they were very much of the "visiting this place because its interesting" type. The sheer numbers and the general type suggested shoppers this week.
All the tourists and the Christmas market (nothing nice that I could carry home on the train) meant that every cafe was full- even at 3pm so I couldn't get anything to eat (and I was starving by 2pm). In the end I decided to cut short my visit to town with a visit to the local branch of the bookshop I'd visited in Rotterdam with Hans. They only had one book by Anne there (which I already had) but I picked up three Father Brown books and a book by Laurie Lee.
I then trudged home feeling tired and extremely hungry.
On Sunday I decided not to risk the town but instead went to the Botanic Garden (which was shut- it was only open until 12 and I'd decided to do some work in the morning). So I went through the park (very nice) and decided to look at a museum in the Artists quarter of town. I didn't feel up to either fine art or modern art so I went to look for the town museum. Which I could not find. Anyway, I gave up on that and went to Saintpietersplein and visited the art centre there, which is housed in an old monastery.
There was a sort of video/audio tour where you could go around the centre, looking at all the old features with a story about a monk from the time of the French Revolution and the Napoleonic wars. Despite being a bit apprehensive, this was actually the best exhibit I'd seen in the whole city!
I haven't any photos (they're forbidden in the centre) though.
I'll try and get a few of my room and the area in which I'm staying before I go.
Old Dec 15 2008, 06:56 AM   #60
Hans
Master Archivist

Hmm, not the best of weekends obviously. And Belgium used to be so nice with shops open on a Sunday and nice bakeries where you could also sit and eat something while enjoying tea or coffee, like in a German language country konditorei. I heard English at the christmas market in Aix la Chapelle too and even saw buses in the parking lot from Lancashire but I suppose Gent and Brughes are much closer for the UK tourist who wants to visit a christmas market.

Old Dec 15 2008, 07:08 AM   #61
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

They're only allowed 6 shopping Sundays a year and this was one of them.
The bakeries were open (luckily) but not the supermarkets.

I was trying to find something like that too, especially as it approached 3pm when I didn't want a large meal as I'd then not want to eat dinner until 9pm ish. I probably should have just gone to one of the stalls but there's nowhere to sit and my co-ordination is rather bad to walk and eat!
It also doesn't help that I've found myself struggling with the accent here and feeling a little nervous to use my very poor Dutch and even more nervous to ask if anyone speaks English.

Yeah- though a lot of English towns and cities have continental Christmas markets these days.

Last Sunday was very nice and the town was quiet and I managed to get food and things without any problems.

December is really NOT a good time to visit Gent for work for so many reasons really.
Old Dec 15 2008, 08:03 AM   #62
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Sorry your weekend was mostly a bust. I hate days like that where nothing seems to go as planned.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15 2008, 02:46 PM   #63
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

I realised that I hadn't posted these:

Old Dec 15 2008, 03:00 PM   #64
Hans
Master Archivist

Verrrry nice pictures. Why does the canon have a lens fitted?

Old Dec 15 2008, 03:07 PM   #65
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Because until they plugged it it was used s either a litter bin or a shelter for anyone too drunk to get home
Old Dec 15 2008, 05:06 PM   #66
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

If that's a lens: wow what a telephoto! I'm glad I haven't got to carry THAT one around.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16 2008, 12:33 AM   #67
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Oh Edith, I am sorry about your weekend plans...I can understand not wanting to eat and walk...but I do wish that you could have found somewhere to eat a proper meal. To bad you didn't have someone there with you...a friend makes outings a lot nicer, even when they don't go as planned. Hopefully the next one will be better.

I really enjoyed the new photos...it all looks so marvelous.

Old Dec 16 2008, 03:27 AM   #68
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

The photos were taken on the first Sunday I was there which was a lovely day.
Old Dec 16 2008, 12:14 PM   #69
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Nice photos. The water looks really still and peaceful.

Best wishes for the remainder of your visit.
Old Dec 16 2008, 01:42 PM   #70
Farclas
Inactive

Nice pictures indeed. That canon looks remarkably similar to Mons Meg, the massive 1449 bombard to be found at Edinburgh Castle. Since it was forged at Mons in Belgium, it's scarcely surprising . . .

ETA - Just to clarify - the Mons Meg image is not mine; it came from this article in Wiki!

Last edited by Farclas; Dec 18 2008 at 10:55 AM.
Farclas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16 2008, 02:51 PM   #71
Hans
Master Archivist

Whoa, we had better weather than you had when making this picture!

They say canon like these were just about as dangerous for the people behind them and manning it as the people at which the ball was fired

Old Dec 17 2008, 04:39 AM   #72
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

It makes the canonballs look like Christmas Puddings.
Old Dec 17 2008, 05:19 AM   #73
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Glutton!

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17 2008, 08:17 AM   #74
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Those are some frakking huge cannon balls.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17 2008, 08:30 AM   #75
Hans
Master Archivist

Mons Meg you said, as in Megan?
Geez, never seen a lady with bigger ones!
And... three of them!

Old Dec 17 2008, 03:18 PM   #76
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

OOOOoooooooOOOOOh Hans...thats male, lower belt thinkingthere.... I would hate
to be the woman having to carry around that size
of....... cannon balls

Can't even imagine what size of *Over the shoulder......cannon ball holder it would
take either...............

Old Dec 18 2008, 10:40 AM   #77
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

You lot are shocking sometimes!

I've less than 24 hours to go now!
My samples are about ready (3 to go) and I just have to pack everything safely.

This is my room by the way. Nothing special, just uni accommodation.

Old Dec 18 2008, 10:44 AM   #78
Hans
Master Archivist

Looks spacier than what Steven had at Paranal Although his bed looked nicer

Glad you're coming "home" dear We'll see each other soon, before you are off again

Old Dec 18 2008, 10:51 AM   #79
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

The photo doesn't show the bed, sink and wardrobe.
I think it's bigger than my room in Aber was last year.
The bed is actually ok. It could be better but I'm tired enough not to worry.
I think I'm glad to be coming home too. It's funny, but it hasn't taken long for Delft to feel like home.
I'm just hoping that I can catch an early enough train to be able to pop into uni before the gate is shut.
Old Dec 18 2008, 07:42 PM   #80
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

I hope you have a safe trip home Edith.

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote