A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Nov 26 2012, 05:53 PM   #1
J'han
Inactive

Fan of: Pern. Robinton. Volly.
Now Reading: Crystal Singer
Default Dragonriders: Comic Book

So, if this is in the wrong place, go ahead and move it. Been away for four years, so I'm a mite bit rusty.

Anyway, I recently was in a comics and games store, and I found Dragonflight. Well, part 1 of 3. In comic/trade form. I plan on hunting down the rest. ^^;

I was wondering how many of the books were made into comic/trade?
J'han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27 2012, 04:35 AM   #2
Almaron
Weyr Harper

Fan of: White Dragon - Yay Ruth!
Default Re: Dragonriders: Comic Book

I think Dragonflight was the only book that got that treatment. The only other thing like it out there would be the People of Pern book, which is a collection of headshots and paintings of various characters from the earlier books. There's also the headshots of the Weyrleaders, Lord Holders and Craftmasters just before Dragonquest that were in the board game - the pictures can be seen here; http://www.pern.nl/art_gallery/official/wood-board.html .

In some cases the characters look pretty similar across media - F'lar and Robinton are drawn fairly similarly - but in some cases they look completely different - T'ron's a good example; the game makes him old, and dark-haired with a sour expression, while the comic gives him greying brown hair, a few wrinkles and a kindly look.

You know, it's just occured to me that D'ram's shown with red hair in the board game, and IIRC, the only time any character has red hair in any of the books it's implied they're a relative of Sean and Sorka...perhaps D'ram's a distant link, or has Ruathan blood?
Almaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27 2012, 05:51 AM   #3
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

J'han. There are three volumes of the comics, all the same size and published by Eclipse. There's a UK edition omnibus with the three comics in one paperback volume and there are several collectors editions, limited and not, of the omnibus.

I did a Collecting Highlight on them, to be found here: http://forums.srellim.org/showthread.php?t=2910

There's also a comic adaptation of The Smallest Dragonboy, a collecting highlight on that booklet by Cheryl can be found here: http://forums.srellim.org/showthread.php?t=2061

Good luck with hunting for #2 and #3. It shouldn't be too hard, they are regularly found offered on eBay.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27 2012, 03:19 PM   #4
Almaron
Weyr Harper

Goodness, I didn't know about that Smallest Dragonboy one...off to Ebay then!
Old Nov 27 2012, 04:50 PM   #5
J'han
Inactive

Fan of: Pern. Robinton. Volly.
Now Reading: Crystal Singer

I'm gunna hafta read all the collecting highlights.
Been away for awhile, rejoining the verse and getting back into the swing of things.

Thank you, Hans!
J'han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27 2012, 05:00 PM   #6
Hans
Master Archivist

You're very welcome J'han.
And Almaron... what you posted has been the story of my life for many a year

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Nov 27 2012, 10:04 PM   #7
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

I did not know about the Smallest Dragon Boy one either. I have new wants.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28 2012, 12:42 AM   #8
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

Smallest Dragonboy is harder to find than the Dragonflight issues and the graphic novel. That one I haven't come by, but I have the Dragonflight ones (worth getting them for the cover art alone.)
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28 2012, 02:36 AM   #9
Almaron
Weyr Harper

Is it? Amazon had several copies selling for very cheap...just bought it, actually!
Old Dec 2 2012, 01:29 AM   #10
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Congrats Almaron...it's a lovely little book to have and add to your growing collection.

They are quite nice when they've been colored [waves at Cheryl...with a sheepish little girn]...one more thing that has to find it's way into one of our suitcases.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2 2012, 12:38 PM   #11
Hans
Master Archivist

Hmm, I should post photos of such a very special, extremely limited, coloured edition, shouldn't I?

And from another story in the book two pages, just two show you how the pages how they look uncouloured.

I'm sorry Maelin, I can't help to brag and they will know you are not the kind of artist that takes orders. In fact, folks, I didn't order this, it was a gift, so please don't all swamp Maelin with pleas for coloured versions! Sorry, but that's how it is.

My keyboard is there to keep the pages down.

Old Dec 2 2012, 11:35 PM   #12
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Hans...no worry...it was a lot of fun to do, especially for a gift or two...but they do take quite a bit of time to do.
Thats just one thing I haven't had much of in the last three years T I M E. Hopefully in this next couple of years I will be able to find some spare time and get a few l i t t l e projects going again...can't go empty handed now can I....

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Dec 5 2012, 08:03 PM   #13
skywaterblue
Heavyworlder

Fan of: Moreta
Now Reading: Never Let Me Go

My first Pern novel was actually this GN, which was inexplicably shelved for many years amongst the children's picture books in my local library.
skywaterblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5 2012, 09:03 PM   #14
Almaron
Weyr Harper

Quote:
My first Pern novel was actually this GN, which was inexplicably shelved for many years amongst the children's picture books in my local library.
Same here, although I wasn't completely hooked until I read WD a few weeks later - partly because I wasn't really sure what was going on in the DF comic in places due to the lack of the narrative text, and partly because Ruth is awesome and that sold the series to me.

It was placed in the children's section? With the mating flight and all halfway through it? Gotta love it when that happens; I once found my library had placed a graphic novel called "Laika" in the kids section - it's based on the true story of the first Russian space dog...definitely not for kiddies - and had to warn the staff they had it in the wrong section. Come to think of it, that paid off, because they saw it was a battered book when I showed it to them and they sold it to me for 20c.
Old Dec 6 2012, 04:21 PM   #15
Xenolith
Darbul

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: Destiny Disrupted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post
Hans...no worry...it was a lot of fun to do, especially for a gift or two...but they do take quite a bit of time to do.
Thats just one thing I haven't had much of in the last three years T I M E. Hopefully in this next couple of years I will be able to find some spare time and get a few l i t t l e projects going again...can't go empty handed now can I....
Those colored pages are gorgeous. I'm just VERY curious ... what kind of medium did you use to color the book? Colored pencils?
Xenolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7 2012, 07:15 PM   #16
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Hello Xenolith...Welcome to MoM

Yes... I do use colored pencils for quite a bit of my artwork over the past couple of decades ...I love how they do whatever my imagination asks them to do.

The Smallest Dragonboy story, that was a lot fun for me...like when we were all little, settling down with a box of crayons and our favorite *Color Book*...you sould give it a try.