A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Aug 5 2012, 11:52 AM   #1
D. M. Domini
Talent
Finder

Fan of: Afra Lyon, and Robinton!
Now Reading: Sabriel by Garth Nix
Default Healer Hall

I was thinking...

...is it just me, or did Master Oldive morph from being the Harper Hall's personal Healer into being the Masterhealer as the series progressed? If you look at the books in order of publication?

If I remember correctly, Master Oldive is introduced in Dragonsinger, where he treats Menolly. In the context of that book alone, it makes sense if Oldive was the Harper Hall's Healer, for him to treat her. But if the Harper Hall and the Healer Hall are more or less in the same building as later information indicates, why wouldn't a student Healer have treated Menolly instead? Surely an old scar healed wrong gained at a fishing hold would be a good learning experience for a Healer who might someday be traveling all around Pern.

The more I think about it, the more it seems Oldive was introduced specifically as a Harper Hall Healer, in which case treating Menolly was part of his job, then had his role greatly expanded in later books. I mean, there's a scene were apprentices that reported in sick must go see him...if he were Masterhealer it seems unlikely he'd handle all of them like a school nurse! But there was enough wiggle room in the way he was presented in Dragonsinger that most just chalk him treating Menolly up to, probably, Robinton pulling a bit of rank and taking extra care with his newfound Apprentice's health.

I'm not sure there's any point to this, it's just interesting how Oldive was set up one way, then appropriated for another purpose, and it's typically not one anyone mentions because unless other shifts in canon, it doesn't super-directly conflict with itself. Robinton could be pulling strings, or maybe Oldive is very "hands-on" and running the Healer Hall isn't all that strenuous. (Despite that reports of med school tell me that modern training to be a "Healer" is crazy.)

Fanfic WIPs: The Day Benden Went to War (Pern/Talent); Slosh (Pern); Weyrbred Lads (Pern); When You Fall Asleep /Between/... (Pern)

Completed Fics: Flight (Pern), Flight v2 (Pern), Golden Glow (Pern)

D. M. Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5 2012, 01:44 PM   #2
Brenda

Default Re: Healer Hall

Well, both Menolly's feet and hand were significant injuries. Not only that, but she is Master Robinton's long-lost songwriter and it is VERY IMPORTANT that her hand be fixed! I can see him talking to Oldive that first night, asking him to examine it personally as a favor.

I'll have to think about the rest of it.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5 2012, 07:27 PM   #3
FlameCat
Dragonrider
Candidate

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Grimm's Fairy Tales

That is an interesting point, however I am tempted to agree with Brenda in that Master Robinton probably exerts a great deal of influence and favours plus (and here is where my memory may be totally wrong) aren't the healers located near to Harper Hall?
FlameCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6 2012, 12:22 AM   #4
Eriflor

Robinton may have thought surgery would be needed to mend Menolly's hand, and Oldive was the only healer who did surgery by this time, so he'd be the best person to assess the damage. Off-hand, I don't recall Oldive being mentioned before DragonSinger. He was certainly MasterHealer by the time of DragonDrums, when Lord Meron called on him for help.

The Atlas of Pern indicates that the Healer Hall is an integral part of the Harper Hall complex, with Master Oldive's office within, and the infirmary just outside, the cliff itself. The Healer teaching rooms are between the Harper Hall complex and Fort Hold, completely within the cliff and connected to the Harper Hall by a back corridor.
Eriflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6 2012, 01:28 AM   #5
Almaron
Weyr Harper

Fan of: White Dragon - Yay Ruth!

An interesting concept...

The Healer Hall is indeed right next to the Harper Hall for most of the series...in fact, I think it's actually considered a part of it up until the Ninth Pass - Capiam in the Sixth Pass complains about not having separate rooms? (EDIT: Whoops, Eriflor beat me to it! That's what I get for not refreshing the page sooner...)

It wouldn't be too hard for the Masterhealer to treat people, but with so many others around, it does seem a bit like Robinton's pulling rank...or it could be that Oldive isn't the sort of person who'd fob an injured person off onto one of his associates. Another possibility is that the Masterhealer intentionally acts as the Healer for the Harper Hall in case the Masterharper or someone fairly high up in the Harper hierarchy suddenly falls ill? Or if the Masterharper needs information quickly on some sickness (not that that's ever happened four times before...).
Almaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6 2012, 12:31 PM   #6
semantre
Dragonrider
Candidate

Fan of: Pern Series
Now Reading: Whatever I can get my hands on

It may also be that there are not a lot of healers around who have much experience with the particular types of injuries Menolly suffered, and so Oldive was the best suited to the examination and care of them.
semantre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6 2012, 10:21 PM   #7
skywaterblue
Heavyworlder

Fan of: Moreta
Now Reading: Never Let Me Go

As we later learn that Harper and Healer are sharing what is presumably the former College buildings, I think it's safe to assume that the Masterharper and the Masterhealer have had cordial if not close relationships throughout Pern's history. I wouldn't be surprised to learn it was a tradition that the Masterharper can call on his services at any time - as presumably, the Masterharper is a title descended from the Principal of College, and Masterhealer, the Dean of the Medics. Hall autonomy might take a back seat to long unremembered tradition there.
skywaterblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7 2012, 10:12 AM   #8
ghost8772

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: The Dresden Files

I think I'm with the original post, initially Oldive was the hall healer, especially since up to that point we only saw that Mavi had been the main person performing healing at Half Circle, with Manora doing the same at Benden Weyr.
Later the Healer Hall level existed, starting in Moreta, and continued to expanded in later stories. It didn't conflict with earlier story since it began as more of a sketch, but the filling in of the area, as it was, changed the feel from the introduction.
I think the 'robinton pulling rank' point would have been stronger if the journeyman had told apprentices who called in sick to report to the healers instead of Oldive, but not enough information on how "sick call" was carried out.
In Dragonsinger there was another point that does help it sound like Menolly being treated directly by Oldive was unusual, when the hold girls were whispering amongst themselves at Menolly being summoned to see him after a meal.
Like I said, enough ambiguity for there to be no real conflicts in the Healer hall growing in complexity and stature within the Harper Hall, as the stories progressed.
ghost8772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7 2012, 12:16 PM   #9
Eriflor

The close connection between the Harper and Healer Halls may partly explain why harpers were expected to help with healing in Todd McCaffrey's books (e.g. Zist being called in to help deliver a baby).

Harper Hall was where future teachers studied detailed subject-matter that there wasn't time for in the basic courses given to holder children, so possibly some healer apprentices were selected from among student-teachers who showed an aptitude for botany and zoology.
Old Aug 7 2012, 12:31 PM   #10
Eriflor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost8772 View Post
I think I'm with the original post, initially Oldive was the hall healer, especially since up to that point we only saw that Mavi had been the main person performing healing at Half Circle, with Manora doing the same at Benden Weyr.

<snip>

In Dragonsinger there was another point that does help it sound like Menolly being treated directly by Oldive was unusual, when the hold girls were whispering amongst themselves at Menolly being summoned to see him after a meal.
I think the girls were just trying to make Menolly feel uncomfortable, maybe hinting that she had lice or some other nasty she'd picked up while living holdless. (Maybe fire-lizards give you cooties! She has to go!!)
Old Aug 11 2012, 05:36 PM   #11
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Dragondrums also had, Sebell was dressed as a hill cot holder, and Piemur first thought that he was looking for Oldive's office in the main part of the Harper Hall.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote