A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Apr 14 2011, 07:37 PM   #1
Tamara Henson
Inactive

Fan of: All the Weyrs of Pern
Now Reading: The Ship Who Sang by Anne McCaffrey
Default Pernese Dragons for Zoo Tycoon

Hi, I was searching the net today when I found these for the game Zoo Tycoon and wanted to share.

Pern Dragons by Dragon Riders by Guest

"Inspired by the Dragonriders series by Anne McCaffrey, this download contains three ztd files: Gold Dragon (with Bronze male and brown young), Green Dragon (with Blue male and blue-green young) and Ruth, the White Dragon."

Dragon Riders Extravaganza Buildings by Dragon Riders

These six working buildings are part of the Dragon Riders Club Extravaganza Pack. It contains a...
DR Vending Machine - Buy dragon trading cards or a toy dragon from this machine

DR First Aid Stand - Here guests can find a first aid kit, bandages and numbweed salve.

DR Bathroom - A family-sized bathroom decorated with dragons

Dragon Rider's Weyr - A dragon weyr, in the world of Pern, is the home of dragons. This is a weyr of a different sort, selling the following items: dragon harness, dragon saddle, fire extinguisher and firelizard eggs!

Dragon Riders Gift Shop - Guests can find many items for purchase at this dragon-themed gift shop, including a dragon-jewel brooch, Dragonrider books, a dragon sculpture and dragon t-shirt. Guests can also purchase a copy of the Zoo Tek Nature Encyclopedia, which lists every animal known.

Dragon Riders Cafe - Here guests can dine on traditional Pernese fare. The menu includes the famous Benden wine, hot klah, bubbly pies, redfruit and a roast wherry and tuber meal.

They are for the first Zoo Tycoon computer game (by Microsoft) and work great (I checked) and can be downloaded at http://www.zootekphoenix.com/forums/
Tamara Henson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14 2011, 08:15 PM   #2
LadyDeerskin
Inactive

Fan of: Pern,Talents,Shellpeople
Now Reading: All The Weyrs of Pern, The Skies of Pern
Default Re: Pernese Dragons for Zoo Tycoon

hey, that is REALLY cool! but do you get to ride the dragons?

in the MMORPG "Perfect World", there is a two headed brown dragon (rather small, by Pern standards) for sale as an air mount. and ...hopefully!...the American version of the game will add the black dragon from the "Tame YourDragon" http://www.ecatomb.net/flight-b.php there is a photo of it, near the bottom of the page, listed only as 'beast' atm. but it sure looks like Toothless to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Henson View Post
Hi, I was searching the net today when I found these for the game Zoo Tycoon and wanted to share.

Pern Dragons by Dragon Riders by Guest

"Inspired by the Dragonriders series by Anne McCaffrey, this download contains three ztd files: Gold Dragon (with Bronze male and brown young), Green Dragon (with Blue male and blue-green young) and Ruth, the White Dragon."

Dragon Riders Extravaganza Buildings by Dragon Riders

These six working buildings are part of the Dragon Riders Club Extravaganza Pack. It contains a...
DR Vending Machine - Buy dragon trading cards or a toy dragon from this machine

DR First Aid Stand - Here guests can find a first aid kit, bandages and numbweed salve.

DR Bathroom - A family-sized bathroom decorated with dragons

Dragon Rider's Weyr - A dragon weyr, in the world of Pern, is the home of dragons. This is a weyr of a different sort, selling the following items: dragon harness, dragon saddle, fire extinguisher and firelizard eggs!

Dragon Riders Gift Shop - Guests can find many items for purchase at this dragon-themed gift shop, including a dragon-jewel brooch, Dragonrider books, a dragon sculpture and dragon t-shirt. Guests can also purchase a copy of the Zoo Tek Nature Encyclopedia, which lists every animal known.

Dragon Riders Cafe - Here guests can dine on traditional Pernese fare. The menu includes the famous Benden wine, hot klah, bubbly pies, redfruit and a roast wherry and tuber meal.

They are for the first Zoo Tycoon computer game (by Microsoft) and work great (I checked) and can be downloaded at http://www.zootekphoenix.com/forums/
LadyDeerskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14 2011, 09:55 PM   #3
Samsara
Inactive

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Restoree

Wow! That is way cool! Thanks for posting this Tamara! I'll download it when I get home!
Samsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15 2011, 03:38 PM   #4
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

That is really funny! I didn't know that game was still around!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18 2011, 02:03 AM   #5
Tamara Henson
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
That is really funny! I didn't know that game was still around!
Yep Zoo Tycoon 1 & 2 has a big following on the internet. You can still buy the first game for about 10 dollars (Though I have seen it for as low as 5 bucks) in the USA. Blue Fang/Microsoft abandoned the property but Aurora Designs is making a new version of the second game under the name Zoo Tycoon 2: Radical Remake. They have some impressive animals for download but you still need the original game to use them.

You can't ride the zoo tycoon 1 animals, just the ones in ZT2. I have a lot of animals of my own at Zoo Tycoon Wildlife (pictures of them found here if anyone cares to look http://s1010.photobucket.com/albums/...Tycoon%20mods/).

Wish I could make a Pernese dragon but blender won't work on my computer. I could add painted wings to a lizard though. I have already made a small dragon (Spike for a My Little Pony pack) from DM's basilisk lizard model. I will load a picture here when it is finished being tested if you like. The legs are a bit thin but with the back fin modified to spikes it makes a passable dragon.
Old Apr 18 2011, 11:58 PM   #6
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Very interesting Tamara...I had no idea there was anything like this out there. Thanks for sharing!!!

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26 2011, 01:10 AM   #7
Tamara Henson
Inactive

Gold Re: Pernese Dragons for Zoo Tycoon

I finally finished the My Little Pony Dragons and here they are:

The head kind of reminds me of Michael Whelan's art and when recolored, re-sized, given wings and a change in the back-ridge it would make a passable Pernese dragon. I could even make it so it could be ridden. Legs are too lizard-like but it's the closest model I have.

So do You want me to try to create a Pernese dragon for Zoo Tycoon 2?
Old Sep 7 2011, 06:30 PM   #8
Tamara Henson
Inactive

I got a better idea. How about making a dragon out of a bird of prey and just painting on the arms, that way it can fly. I tried it out and it looks better than i thought-and you can ride it when it flies !

Here is a sneak peak at the first group done which contains a green female and white, blue, and small brown males. The next group will be large brown and bronze males and gold females. The Wyer is an idea I had for a place for the dragons to rest but it may not be in the final pack as I will need permission from the creator to download the rock nest model. If I can't get permission than it will have to look like a giant bird nest instead.

Old Sep 26 2011, 11:26 AM   #9
Platinum
Inactive

I'd download those! One day I'll be able to mesh and stuff. I'd live to stick some wings on the parasaurolophus and take off that crest and add some headknobs and eyeridges...

RR was just re-released last night and I played till 6am UK time cos I was so enamoured. There is a distinct lack of dragons though!
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3 2011, 08:55 PM   #10
Tamara Henson
Inactive

Thanks I am thinking of making an entire Pern Pack. Dragons, firelizards, wherries (wild and domestic), whers, and possibly a tunnel snake combined with firestone as a food for the dragons, a firestone mineral deposit, and klah, meatroll, and bubbly pie food carts. I want to make it for release in honor of Anne's next birthday.

I agree a parasaurolophus or similar duckbill would be perfect. I can't mesh either since Blender won't work on my computer. For the dragons I used Kangorillophant's Bearded Vulture and modified the alpha file to form bat wings and a forked tail. Kangorillophant gave designers permission to use his meshes for other projects and it was the closest in build to a dragon. Wish it had head-nobs and a neck and back ridge though.

Last edited by Tamara Henson; Oct 6 2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old Oct 13 2011, 07:10 PM   #11
Tamara Henson
Inactive

Never got an answer for the nest so I made a couch-like resting place instead. I am calling it the Wyer couch. Here are some updated pics. Working on the firelizards next. Other animals I have in mind are the wild and domestic wherry, wher, and a unnel snake. Items I have in mind are food stands for bubbly pies, meat rolls, and klah, a firestone mineral deposit, and a new green meat food (wherry meat). If anyone has more ideas please post them here.

note the comments I made in the zookeeper's notes at the top of the pics. In the Ramoth and Ruth pic the gold stood in front of the white, raised her head and roared at him. The white then got a red angry sign above his head while a big green very happy symbol appeared over the gold's. It reminded me so much of Anne's books with Ruth complaining that Ramoth likes bossing him around that I had to share it here.

I did not want to double post but speaking of Pernese dragons in games have you seen this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Yxdcov8Ol4&feature=fvst

Man I laughed out loud! Just look at the face the green makes when the second dragonet appears!

Last edited by Tamara Henson; Oct 14 2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old Oct 14 2011, 12:08 PM   #12
Hans
Master Archivist

Yeah, saw that animation ages ago and had a good laugh too but Spore is a really nifty and interesting program!

And sorry about this, but your gold at bottom right made me think of Big Bird

Well done by the way, but with a family name like yours you had to be good with creatures Are you a (distant) relative by any chance?

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Oct 14 2011, 02:15 PM   #13
Tamara Henson
Inactive

It does sort of look like big bird doesn't it? Oh well. I had to use a bird so it could fly but I'm the first to admit that it's not how I envisioned Pernese dragons, it's just the closest I could come with the available models in ZT2. Could have used a lizard but I liked this one better.

I don't know if I am related to the late Jim Henson or not. My mother always wondered. I believe a great great grandparent shared a name with one of Jim's ancestors but we had no idea if it was the same person.

O I had the funniest, yet appropriate, glich last night. A bronze dragon flew towards the fence and I thought 'he's going to fly over the fence I know it'. But instead of flying over the fence he just vanished. While I was going I suddenly get a message that one of the dragons was loose. I clicked on the message and it took me all the way across the park to the zoo entrance where there was the bronze, wandering around scarring visitors. It went between
Old Oct 15 2011, 05:45 AM   #14
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Henson View Post
It does sort of look like big bird doesn't it?
ONLY when it stand like that with the wings almost folded

And what a nice coincidence with your bronze!

Old Nov 25 2011, 05:14 PM   #15
Tamara Henson
Inactive

Well I guess this project will be a memorial instead of a birthday present for Anne

I decided to keep the bird-based dragons, both because they were already finished and because they can be ridden without any animation problems. The dinosaur-based dragon has been turned into a gift that can be bought by those who like watching the queen and bronze dragons. The other dragons all come with various sized greens and differently colored males. The gifts are a green dragon hat for the blue dragons, a Ruth backpack for the white dragons, and a Dragonquest poster for the browns.

I have also finished the firelizards (the gift is a firelizard egg) and the Southern Feline. I think I will do a turkey-based domestic wherry since the other models can not possibly be called fat.

Here is my interpretation of a Pernese Feline and some more dragon/firelizard images.

Thank You Anne for sparking my imagination, both in this project and others. May you rest in peace.
Old Apr 26 2012, 06:27 PM   #16
Tamara Henson
Inactive

I just redid the felines as the originals had a bug that prevented them from eating meat (they would only eat fish) and they were constantly killing each other. Seems it was a model problem so the new cats are based on the puma instead of the cheetah model. I completely redid the skins and they look good, hunt in groups and eat meat. I will put a picture up soon.

Now I am going to work on the wherrys. Does anyone know what color wild wherries are?
Old Jun 20 2012, 08:25 PM   #17
Tamara Henson
Inactive

Guess no body knows what color wild wherries are. Oh well I will make them a diluted brownish shade of the dragon colors.

This pack is almost done and should be finished within the month! Now is the time to mention any additions to the pack.

What I have so far- final images until release:

Pernese dragons in four installations:
Green & White, Green and Blue, Green and Brown, and Gold and Bronze.
I had to put them in four groups so that the sizes of the male and gold colors would be different from that of the greens. They will come with the wyer couch to sleep on as pictured earlier in the thread.

Note that I tried a different model that looked really good until you tried to ride it then this happened...

Man I don't think I've slept for a week!

Firelizards. All colors in one installation because I figured the size differences would be less noticeable than in the dragons. Pictured earlier in the thread.

Wher. As in the firelizards. Uses a squatter version of the dragon mesh and is covered in scales. It is also flightless, though it can glide very short distances.

Domestic Wherry: A funny, flightless giant turkey critter that guest love.

Wild wherry: a vulture-like predator similar in appearance to the one in the Dragon-lovers guide.

Pernese feline version 2: as already described, many coat colors and it roars just like the one's in Todd's books, "Merrrowwwww!"

Heardbeast and ovine live food items: these animals, based on a Scottish longhorn and sheep wander about until eaten by a predator. Dragons and felines especially love them though it's seeing the tiny firelizards kick them to death that's really entertaining.

A Small animal house containing a tunnel snake, whersport, and trundle bug!

A Pern themed restaurant serving Bendon wine, klah, meatrolls, steak, roast wherry, red-fruit, and bubbly pies.

A fire-breathing dragon fountain! Yep that's lava instead of water.

A cute flower post with blue firelizards flapping among the flowers.

And various items such as a trash can, bathroom and this pair of arches.

I was going to do a path as well but it did not come out. So what do you think and is there anything else you would like?

P.S. here is my "box" art:

Last edited by Tamara Henson; Jul 11 2012 at 04:47 PM. Reason: added box art
Old Jul 11 2012, 04:45 PM   #18
Tamara Henson
Inactive

My Dragonriders of Pern Pack is finished and ready for download at http://www.mediafire.com/?h0k02q7wn8lp387

Here is the basic description of the pack...

Quote:
The Dragonriders of Pern, Expansion Pack

Creator/Designer/Author: Laura 'Tamara' Henson

Original Creator: This pack would not have been possible without the use of meshes designed by DinosaurMan, Kangorillophant, BioHazard, and Artifex.

Language: English

Bugs/Information/Notes: This pack contains creatures and items inspired by the science fiction stories of Anne McCaffrey. It consist of nine animals, several items, and a filter.

The animals include the domestic and wild wherry (both based on a mesh by DinosaurMan. The firelizard, Pernese dragon (in four color/size combinations), and watchwher (all based on meshes by Kangorillophant). And the Pernese Feline. The items also include a small animal house displaying a trundle bug, tunnel snake, and whersport.

The items include a couch for your dragons to sleep on, fire-breathing dragon fountain (yes it spouts fire instead of water), a firelizard flowerpost (courtasy of Artifex, thank you Penguinman), Pern themed arches, a bathroom, a trashcan, and a resteraunt that serves pernese food including Bendon wine.

Live food in the form of a herdbeast (pernese cow)and ovine (sheep) are also provided to provide amusement for your carnivores. Live food is based on the food from Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis by Blue Tongue Games and imported to ZT2 by BioHazard.

Bugs: Occasionally the dragons, the firelizards and wild wherry may become eggbound. That is the animal's birth gauge is fully red but the animal wanders around aimlessly and the game tells you it is pooping. Just put the animal in a crate then release it. The animal should then lay it's eggs as normal.

The dragons have a glich that is oddly appropriate considering the source material. When approaching a fence the animal may dissapear then reappear randomly somewhere else in the park. They may even teleport into other cages to eat the occupants than quickly teleport back in their cage! I lost several guinea pigs that way until I caught the white dragon resposible.

Requirements: African Adventures :AA: is needed for all the animals exceppt the Feline and Live food which need Endangered Species :ES: Any expansion pack should allow all the other items to work.

The Mineral Chow(firestone)from Dragon Dreams and Paranoia's Blood food is not requiured but nice to have as the dragons are coded to eat them as well as meat.