A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café > Café Archives

Old Apr 9 2007, 08:48 PM   #1
bats

Default Your first encounter with the Computer

I had opened my mouth about this Computer World the next day
my son had in his arms this On-Eye-Monster..
Gave me some hurried words about it and then he was off
Leaving me with Monster..sat for a while thinging, what have I got myself into
never had typed before,,no idea what I was doing : : ,but thanks to
Friends on The Lost Tribe,Sara Douglass and my Avon Lady I got though
The only complaint I get ,was my Friends,, miss my letters as I always did little drawings for them and made them chuckle
Would I give up my Computer ,,Horus,,just try and take him off me
I have met so many People,,who love the same books,Bowie Fans and
Boba Fett Fans
It's a great new World
Bats
bats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9 2007, 10:41 PM   #2
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)
Default Re: Your first encounter with the Computer

My first computer was some sort of Tandy made before they could do color that ran off cassette tapes. The keyboard was molded to the monitor. (Well, my parents bought it. I was like five.)
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9 2007, 11:30 PM   #3
Bob12
Heavyworlder

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern

1976 (or thereabouts), an Atari 800 with 48KB RAM, a tape drive, cartridge based software, and run through a television. It came with Star Raiders - supposedly the first fully graphics only computer game in an 8kb cartridge.
Old Apr 9 2007, 11:56 PM   #4
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

my first computer was only like 4 years ago. It was ok until it got melted. Fires are not good for computers.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10 2007, 12:48 AM   #5
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

My first was when I was in 3rd grade, it was an Apple 2+. My dad still keeps it running I think (and has a modern computer too of course), so if I ever made it back home to visit I could still play some of the classic old games on the 100+ disks we have for it.

*nostalgic trance* Mmmmm, original Mario Brothers, Lode Runner, Spy Hunter, Choplifter, Lemonade...
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10 2007, 02:55 AM   #6
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

My dad bought a second-hand IBM XT in 1984. It had a horribly noisy fan, I remember, and no graphic software at all. I didn't use it much, if at all. My first computer was a 25 MHz 386 with 4 MB (later upgraded to 8) memory and a 40 MB hard drive, running DOS 6 and Windows 3.0 (later 3.1). I got it from my parents as a high school graduation present.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10 2007, 03:05 AM   #7
ghyle
Resident Poet
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Fan of: Pern & Freedom
Now Reading: The Umbrella Club / David Brooks

My first computer was a Commodore 64. I had it for years. Then I had an Amiga 500, and sold that when I went to uni. I only got a PC when I came to the town where I currently live; this is my third PC in a decade.
ghyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10 2007, 04:08 AM   #8
Hans
Master Archivist

My first computers were a Commodore VIC20, an Atari and a Spectrum (at the same time) but mind you, I sold the stuff at the time, otherwise I could never have afforded it. This was mid seventies. Remember the first external diskdrive -- 5 1/4 inch real floppies -- I bought cost me a full thousand guilders! That was for the Commodore64 that followed the early computers, which were actually more game consoles tha computers although I did write programs in Basic for them I had a Commodore 128 for a short time after the 64 but didn't switch to the Amiga, which closed the Commodore era.

After that came a whole row of AT and XT models with green and amber monochrome monitors, starting out with a Philips with 64Kb internal and a 20Megabyte harddrive. I remember thinking if I would ever fill that disk up... With litterally thousands of text files (made on the Commodore) with historical and genealogical research I had a big problem. Friends from a technical university helped me out and built (!) a converter. Days, nah weeks... the three computers (two PC's and the Commodore) stood next to each other, the last transmitting the text line by line to one of the PC's so I could read the ASCII with the WordPerfect Executive program (that's WP 2.0!). It all looked immensely professional and much like a science fiction movie

The first notebook was a Toshiba and I just realise I'm already on my sixth notebook

And the internet... ah... fond memories there. I "joined" in 1994 after experimenting with modems and transmitting text line by line to a friend's computer in the next vilage, 2400 baud that was, state of the art!

Now there are far more computers in the house than there are people (not too hard with only the three of us) with three PC's (five if you count the two not in use), the laptop and the Apple Macintosh in a wired and wireless home network (add three printers and two scanners...). I discovered Apple through my work as Public Relations officer and am a "late convert" although not rabid and always thinking to use each machine for what it does best but I am glad that Microsoft seems to lose some of its power and monopoly.

Life will never be the same... and I have been extremely lucky to have met many wonderful friends through my internet activities; my social life has definitely grown much richer because of the internet, contrary to what some "experts" claim!

Sorry to be rambling on but this was a real trip down memory lane for me

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.

Last edited by Hans; Apr 10 2007 at 08:58 AM.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10 2007, 05:36 AM   #9
Sokar
Digital Imagineer

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: Star Wars: Legacy of the Force

The first computer I can remember us having, as a family was either the BBC Micro, or teh TI-99 from Texas Instruments.

My dad used them for work, since he's a computer programmer.... and we progressively moved up from there, for whatever his work needed.

Until about 1995, I always used to get dad's old computers, when he needed a new one.

I think my first new computer, that wasn't a hand me down was a Pentium 90.

I've moved on a bit since then, I've seen the light side.. or is it the dark.. pends on your point of view.. I've now got rid of the windows machines, and use Appple Macs.
Sokar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10 2007, 07:07 AM   #10
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

BBC micro at school- one of these days I will buy myself one!
I'm hypermobile so I got introduced to computers in order that I could keep up- writing wise- with the rest of the class- I don't know what make it was but my first computer was a "portable". I was only 8 at the time so I don't remember much about it- except that it was big and ran on dos-it wasn't new when I had it.

Though I think it was the BBC micro that I had the most computer use with in the early years- Look and Read games and word processing on a computer with a black screen and vividly coloured text!
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10 2007, 07:32 AM   #11
Rho
Renegade

Fan of: Dragonsdawn
Now Reading: The Land of Painted Caves

The first computer I can remember my dad bringing home was the ZX81. After that we got a Spectrum - it had colour! I remember playing a few games on it - Manic Miner, Jet-set Willy. They took ages to load using a cassette recorder.
Rho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10 2007, 09:20 AM   #12
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

The first computer I came in contact with was the LEO Mk 1 in 1959! A room full of hot wires and thousands of little glass tubes filled with mercury. A couple of years later I was at college with the daughter of the man who developed it, so I kept up with the Leo's Mks 2 & 3 until the business was sold to English Electric/Ferranti.

The next one (about 1966) was an IBM 360/75 mainframe owned by Sussex County Council. A real behemoth in a "snake pit". Our college maths department had access (usually at 3am) and later I worked for the council.

After that it was a Digital PDP10 at Berks County Council.

Then an IBM 286 (with 287 maths co-processor) and a clock speed of 8!

My first "personal" computor was a Sinclair ZX81 (with a 32K RAM pack stuffed into the connector).

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10 2007, 01:17 PM   #13
Allana
Greenrider 'Lana

Candidate

Fan of: Crystal, Pern, Dino P.
Now Reading: The Death of Artemio Cruz, Fuentes

I remember when my family got our first computer, Windows 95 is all I know about it. The computer I am now using is my first computer, a Toshiba notebook (Windows XP), which I have had for three years. But alas, the CD drive is broken, and I'm getting a new one this summer before college!! Yay!
Allana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10 2007, 05:37 PM   #14
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

1988 or so, probably a Mac. it was in school, I think a specific classroom. Only used it for math problems and games once i got problems right. And only like once a week or something I think. It was big, and tan.
I was between 8 and 10, as close I can remember.

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10 2007, 06:40 PM   #15
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

@ Edith what is hypermobile. Kibbie has disgraphia which makes it VERY difficult to write, or anything ese having to do with fine motor skills. Is it something like that.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

Old Apr 10 2007, 07:01 PM   #16
McClance
Dragon Ambassador

Fan of: Pern & Doona
Now Reading: Fantastic Voyage

The first computer I worked on was an Apple IIe.
Old Apr 10 2007, 07:13 PM   #17
bats

Thanks all that was great reading about your first computers
They are really like one's first car,,my first one I named ,Eros,, it was hard
with him as the Keyboard was almost worn away,as I have HUGE off-spring
boys,,and with SO [snarling Orchid] on my back about wasting money on
this THING!! but I battled though,,he is now with a Girl who's family couldn't
afford one for her,,Matt a friend cleaned it up for her.
Now I have this Black sleek one.. Horus is his name just love him
bats
bats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10 2007, 11:05 PM   #18
Sandi

My first experience with a computer was work related. The machine itself was a monster which occupies a refrigerated room with a raised floor. To enter the room we had to don white medical-type coats and wear little bootie things over our shoes. It was an amalgamated creation combining elements by IBM and a couple of others I can't remember the names of any more. We fed it data via cards punched on an amazingly noisy machine. We also had "remote" terminals that typed whole lines at a time and used tons of paper. Eventually we got LED display terminals that were like something out of science fiction to us We could actually see the numbers we keyed in (I forgot to mention the Beast only understood data reduced to "languages" such as fortran, QED and a few developed strictly for the DOD.) before they got committed to the tape reels. Looking back, it really is funny. If anyone ever saw the original version of The Itallian Job, you'd get a vague idea of the creature that plagued our very dreams.

As for home computers, my first came from Wal-Mart and had Windows 3.0 on it.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10 2007, 11:19 PM   #19
chrysalis
Muskie

Our first computer was a Tandy 100 bought in 1987, I think. No hard drive. All programs ran off 5.25" disks.

My grandfather had something older that was monochrome the keyboard was built in and it had the 5.25" disk drives. Extremely basic and huge. We had a huge dot matrix printer.

Our high school computers didn't have mice either. And we learned to program using GWBasic.
chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10 2007, 11:21 PM   #20
chrysalis
Muskie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi View Post
My first experience with a computer was work related. The machine itself was a monster which occupies a refrigerated room with a raised floor. To enter the room we had to don white medical-type coats and wear little bootie things over our shoes. It was an amalgamated creation combining elements by IBM and a couple of others I can't remember the names of any more. We fed it data via cards punched on an amazingly noisy machine. We also had "remote" terminals that typed whole lines at a time and used tons of paper. Eventually we got LED display terminals that were like something out of science fiction to us We could actually see the numbers we keyed in (I forgot to mention the Beast only understood data reduced to "languages" such as fortran, QED and a few developed strictly for the DOD.) before they got committed to the tape reels. Looking back, it really is funny. If anyone ever saw the original version of The Itallian Job, you'd get a vague idea of the creature that plagued our very dreams.

As for home computers, my first came from Wal-Mart and had Windows 3.0 on it.

I remember in the military our computers were Pre-Windows. And we used WordStar for our word processing. This was in 1990. I forget what the spreadsheet program was called. I know it wasn't Excel.
Old Apr 10 2007, 11:24 PM   #21
Sandi

I'm afraid you're way after my time. I knew The Beast in the early 70's.
Old Apr 10 2007, 11:46 PM   #22
chrysalis
Muskie

Oh yeah I almost forgot the Mac that was in our graphics communication class my senior year of high school. It had a tiny monitor (maybe 10") and when we weren't typing text on it we were playing the Daleks game.
Old Apr 11 2007, 09:57 AM   #23
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysalis View Post
I remember in the military our computers were Pre-Windows. And we used WordStar for our word processing. This was in 1990. I forget what the spreadsheet program was called. I know it wasn't Excel.
Was it Lotus-1-2-3? That was the big one pre-Windows as I recall. A more minor one (which is what we had at home) was Quattro (which was purposefully a funny countername to Lotus-1-2-3).
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11 2007, 11:18 AM   #24
Hans
Master Archivist

There was also Calc and WordPerfect had a spreadsheet in the family too... err... I can't remember the name right now.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Apr 11 2007, 02:07 PM   #25
Gwina
Talent Telempath-Healer

Fan of: white dragon, tower/hive
Now Reading: Insurgent, The Last Apprentice, Damia (again)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysalis View Post
Growing up my mom used to say she introduced my dad to computers. If that's the truth he took it and ran. I'm not sure how many he's had by now or where he started from. I remember a lot of Compaq's and Epson printers though. On the other hand my mom rebelled and used a word processing unit called a StarWriter. I finished so many assignments using that. It's kind of surprising considering how tiny the screen was. Then my dad helped me out and provided a laptop, which I distinctly remember had Lotus 1-2-3 installed. It was annoying because I kept trying to switch to Word and it would pop up every few minutes. Then again, I really shouldn't complain...
"Whatever zapped me seems to have burned off the outlived dross and stupidities any human collects along the way. I don't mind being two hundred and fifteen years old. In fact, it's fun, in a bizarre fashion."
Gwina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11 2007, 02:30 PM   #26
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Forgot to add that my first home computer was a Gateway, running Win96. We used it mostly for games and homework before we got internet access.

Old Apr 11 2007, 03:42 PM   #27
Pam
Heptite Guildmaster

Fan of: Lars Dahl

I think my first computer that I used was an Apple IIe in school, or maybe its predecessor. Our family got our first computer in 1987, a Tandy. The first computer that was all mine was a Mac when I went to college in 1995. After I got married I got the Gateway I'm using now in 2001. Yes, I need a new computer Its near the top of the list of things we need when our old house sells

The Crystal Singer Continuum

Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11 2007, 06:23 PM   #28
sjslack
JourneyWoman woodsmith

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: as usual

The only thing I remember about the first computer I recall is that it was an Apple computer, and it had a game on it called 'Granny's Garden'...and only four of us were allowed on it out of our class...This was in infant school. -Chuckles-

The first home computer was a good ol' commadore 64.
sjslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11 2007, 06:35 PM   #29
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawofone View Post
@ Edith what is hypermobile. Kibbie has disgraphia which makes it VERY difficult to write, or anything ese having to do with fine motor skills. Is it something like that.
Its similar- it's a physical thing-my joints are too loose-I went through loads of physiotherapy in primary school. It has its advantages in the lab though!
Old Apr 11 2007, 07:12 PM   #30
Sandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
There was also Calc and WordPerfect had a spreadsheet in the family too... err... I can't remember the name right now.
I still like WordPerfect a lot better than Microsoft Word. I seem to be the only one in the world who feels that way, though.
Old Apr 11 2007, 07:57 PM   #31
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Thanks Edith

Old Apr 11 2007, 08:56 PM   #32
Bob12
Heavyworlder

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern

Quote:
I still like WordPerfect a lot better than Microsoft Word. I seem to be the only one in the world who feels that way, though.
Not at all - I still prefer WordPerfect by far. I only use Word when I absolutely have to and then, not for anything more involved than a standard letter. Everything else is WordPerfect.
Old Apr 11 2007, 11:42 PM   #33
Lisa Lewis
Darbul

Fan of: Dragon Riders of Pern
Now Reading: To Light a Candle

my first experience with a computer was in high school.. we programmed in BASIC on machines that were used both for programming and printing...

When i got to college and majored in Computer Information Systems we learned languages like COBAL, FORTRAN and RPG II... we had to use a card punch machine to type in all of our programs.. and then PRAY that the cards didn't get jumbled by the computer tech that fed them into the card readers for us while we were in other classes..

i remember my senior project filled 3 card boxes labeled box 1, box 2 and box 3.. i gave them to the tech for the final run through of my program.. hoping to get a final clean printout and report.. it should've ended in a stack of paper about 1/2 inch tall.. imagine my surprise when i went to collect my project and found 4INCHES of paper.. the tech had put the boxes through the reader in the wrong order.. box 2, box 1 and then box 3!!!

the first at home computer i remember owning was in early 1984 i believe and it was a commadore 64 used to play ZORK on it.. with the 5.25" floppy.. had to graph my own maps of the different levels on graph paper so i would remember where i was in the game!
Lisa Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12 2007, 03:42 AM   #34
Hans
Master Archivist

Zork! That brings back good memories
I used to program games like that in basic! Ah... the multitude of if...then statements

Old Apr 12 2007, 06:53 AM   #35
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

I use Fortran- though it's Fortran 90! I'm not that good yet!
I really should get round to learning some sort of Basic.
Old Apr 12 2007, 04:40 PM   #36
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Quote:

You and me both, Sandi! MSWord was a terror to work with, and by the time i was ready to quit using it I'd learned to save backups every five minutes and still have another copy on floppy! Word Perfect is much better behaved, even if I do have to change file formalts to send files and it won't open my old WordPad files from the old laptop.

Old Apr 12 2007, 05:06 PM   #37
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

I can remember composing our programmes in Fortran and then sitting down with a large printed "bible" to translate the whole thing into machine code.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote