A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café

The Library Café Come in, relax, and get to know the other members of this site. Share your hobbies and interests, along with general news of your life.

Old Nov 8 2013, 12:04 PM   #1
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly
Default Wake Up MoM!

Is there anything we can do to rekindle interest in the site? Our active members list is dropping off fast.

It's years since we did anything in the book discussion forum (come back Edith).

It's also a long time since we had any collecting highlights to drool over.

And, we haven't had a quiz for quite a while.

At present most activity seems to be Kugai and me playing word games which can't really hold the attention of any new comers.

Who's got any good ideas? What can we do to resuscitate this place?

Or isn't it worth bothering?

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8 2013, 12:53 PM   #2
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat
Default Re: Wake Up MoM!

I mostly post in the what is happening thread. I don't really know what to say to your question. My collecting has branched out to Terry Pratchett.

I've thought a bit more. Perhaps some new threads in the Cafe area. Maybe one that deals with special events where people live (pictures would be great). How about a "show us your pets" thread, including photos and funny stories about them?

I think book discussion may be tapped out? Topics were going through re-runs when I first discovered the KT, years ago.

If I come up with anything more I'll add it. Good for you for bringing this up!

Last edited by Priscilla; Nov 8 2013 at 01:18 PM.
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8 2013, 04:45 PM   #3
Anneli
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Dragonflight

I don't know, P'ter I visit regularly to catch up with who's doing what (and with whom ), but I've never been one for playing in the word games, and like Priscilla said, it gets to the point that after 15 years of posting and discussing, there rarely seems to be anything new to say about Anne's Worlds MOM is like a comfy pair of slippers for me, not necessarily the most exciting place to visit, but absolutely indispensable .
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8 2013, 06:08 PM   #4
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

I come by at least once a day, don't always post. Not sure what to do about it being slow.

Maybe we could have an on line gather and invite some of the ones who have quit visiting.

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8 2013, 11:13 PM   #5
Kugai
Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan

Fan of: Tower and Hive Series
Now Reading: Whatever takes my fancy at the moment

I'm here daily, but as P'ter says, the most activity I do here is the Wordgames in F&G. I'm always looking to see if there's new Threads, and if they interest me I'll Post in 'em.

Like I mentioned on AMCF, I'm more active on one or two other sites, mostly on QC Forum where I've become a Global Moderator. I'll still come here, and I hope that it does eventually pick up.

Homepage
FreeBabylon5
FreeBabylon5 Website
Kugai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9 2013, 06:57 AM   #6
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

I think this is the first time I've come here in months that there was something new to read in three threads in the Cafe. Maybe new threads help? I've also been guilty of not posting just because I had posted a day or less ago in the same thread. If there's something to be said, just say it!
Old Nov 9 2013, 08:40 AM   #7
Kater
Menetteth's Rider
Weyrling

Fan of: Pern, Tower, and Pegasus
Now Reading: Watchers by Dean Koontz

I haven't posted in awhile because life offline has been really bad of late. I still check in but haven't felt like I've wanted to drag others down. Things are starting to look up so I'll probably start posting again.

Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore
Kater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12 2013, 05:54 PM   #8
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

I get caught up in other things and forget to visit. Then when I do sometimes I just don't know what to say. Don't really have any interesting stories to share and I guess I'm just too private to share whatever random thing happens in my life. ::shrug::

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13 2013, 07:56 AM   #9
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Definitely awake here! It was about 25 F this morning! That'll wake you up.
Old Nov 15 2013, 10:12 AM   #10
Hans
Master Archivist

Well, I'm back I'm like Anneli. I don't feel the urge or need to discuss anything very much, not even DRoP. The fun has gone out of this somewhat over time but especially after Anne's death; that patticular anniversary comes up soon

But I do want to keep in touch with the real regulars and die hards, so I do visit about every other day.

I have never been much of a games person, besides, there are so many places to do that and there's only one MoM!

As for rekindling the McCaffrey Fire... I'm afraid the bigger public lost intrest in her some time ago. I;ve seen the number of her books in bookstores go down and down. I hate it but can't deny it. She'll always be remembered as one of the big names but attention for her work is definitely dwindling and Todd branching out doesn't help Pern or Anne's legacy. Now I don't know how things are in the USA. I'm talking Europe and European bookshops here. I don't even think the last few of Todd's titles were translated... Sad, but what can one do?

Following that there will be less and less attention for related websites. I know that's tru for my website and I only receive but a few questions and inquiries a month. So it will be the same for in here. There's the old core and a new visitor now and then but given the circumstances I don't think there will be many more of the kind of fans like the old KT and MoM core that even took on travels, even transatlantic travels, to meet each other. Maybe we'll meet (Worldcon 2014 being a good chance) and maybe we'll meet during our (holiday) travels but I am afraid Anne McCaffrey fandom will never be the same again and will never recover from the loss of its writer and main focus having passed away.

But you ARE remembered, dear Annie, every single day!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15 2013, 10:56 AM   #11
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Do you think there will ever be a movie?

Old Nov 15 2013, 11:24 AM   #12
Hans
Master Archivist

No, Michelle, I've given up the hope for that. You see, DRoP isn't that widely known anymore and I feel that the big companies will only furnish money for the movie if they will be able to make millions out of the merchandise and I honestly don't think they will be able to do that.

IIRC the earlier Dragonriders movie was pulled by Anne because they wanted to murder the story and because of problems around merchandising, when DRoP was still very popular. The TV story went through the drain for the same reason (oiginal story mangling) and Anne put here hopes on this Canadian venture because they would make the movie true to the story. Well, we haven't heard from them in a long while and that isn't because they can't make a great movie. I guess it's because nobody wants to put up the vast amount of money needed to make such a technically difficult product. You need people and businesses of Star Wars and LoTR fame to make a good DRoP movie. So I don't think it will ever materialise. Now I would gladly be proven wrong, of course

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Nov 15 2013, 11:29 AM   #13
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawra View Post
Do you think there will ever be a movie?
I very much doubt it at this point. There simply isn't enough interest in her work at the moment.

Sadly, the dwindling trend of activity is noticeable on all boards I visit, with one major exception (gateworld). People hang out on FB and instacrap instead.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15 2013, 11:32 AM   #14
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by granath View Post
Sadly, the dwindling trend of activity is noticeable on all boards I visit, with one major exception (gateworld). People hang out on FB and instacrap instead.
FB? That's faecesbook, isn't it?

Old Nov 15 2013, 12:23 PM   #15
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Well, I keep in touch with a few people on Facebook who no longer do websites (for the same reason I mostly don't). Yes it has snagged a lot of traffic from websites which I guess is unfortunate. But, no one is forcing anybody to do either/or. It may be POO to some people but like I said it's another way to keep in touch. I also occasionally snail mail my friends, even though that is almost a lost art!
Old Nov 15 2013, 01:30 PM   #16
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
FB? That's faecesbook, isn't it?
Yes!
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15 2013, 05:33 PM   #17
kevia
Ballybran Resident

Tuner

Fan of: Nimisha's Ship
Now Reading: Crystal Line

I'm active on a couple of other forums, and I agree. Forum traffic is down, and it doesn't matter the focus of the forum. And I think Facebook is a lot of the reason. I do use it, as it lets me see pics of my grandkids and keep up with a lot of family and friends. But it isn't a forum like MOM. I miss what the forums used to be, and FB just can't make up for that.
Old Nov 15 2013, 05:39 PM   #18
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

No disagreement here. Just, if people wanted to do both they could. Unfortunately as Hans said, since Anne is no longer with us there is far less interest in fan sites. I would be sad if it was gone, like the final chapter had been read and the book closed, not to be re-opened.
Old Nov 21 2013, 08:42 AM   #19
Samsara
Inactive

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Restoree

Sadly this is the reason I stopped coming here. Unfortunately for me I found this site way to late.

My love for Anne and her work especially DRoP will never fade, and I am still avidly collecting Pern - you should see what I got over the last year or so...

But I have no one to talk to about it anymore, as like many of you have said - for those of you who have been here forever there is nothing else to say.

Bummer for me because I could still gladly talk about her and Pern till the ... dragons come home!

xx
Samsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21 2013, 11:55 AM   #20
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

We always like talking about her. If you want to talk come start a thread.

Old Nov 21 2013, 01:15 PM   #21
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Some of us just like talking FULL STOP (or even non-stop)

Yes start a thread or three. The more visitors see SOMETHING going on the more they'll be temped to join.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

Old Nov 22 2013, 05:16 AM   #22
Kat
Journeywoman archivist

Fan of: DRoP
Now Reading: Sky Dragons

Definitely!!

I'm always glad to see /talk about others treasures!

I don't collect alot but I'm reminding every day of my love for DroP when I walk into my dining room.
Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23 2013, 01:00 AM   #23
D. M. Domini
Talent
Finder

Fan of: Afra Lyon, and Robinton!
Now Reading: Sabriel by Garth Nix

I remember the New Kitchen Table, and the WB/TV show fiasco, and how the boards were hopping back then. I was 17 or 18 back then, 2000 or 2001. It's been very strange to watch the fandom die, to watch fewer and fewer fans come about, and also realize I'm no longer a "kid" on the forum, but 30.

Without new things to discuss, I feel like I'd be just rehashing old stuff if I made new threads. (I don't talk about Todd's work because I just don't want to be so negative, and I know I will be if I say anything, or try to read it in order to be able to say something.)

I think only the fact that fanfic based on AMC worlds was suppressed for many years is why I continue making fanfic with a fandom this dead. If this was an active fandom, and hadn't had those rules in place during a time when they had been respected (nowdays no such rules would ever be respected on the net!) the things I've been working on would have long ago been explored by hundreds of other people, and there would be little left to explore.

I guess I am glad I did get to experience some portion of "active fandom" for AMC. I missed the Marion Zimmer Bradley boat entirely. I regret that. It would have been fun to gnaw over the Comyn and laran things. Maybe someday I'll do a Talent/Darkover crossover. Or Pern/Darkover crossover. I'd have to re-read all the MZB books to do it, though.

Ok, meandering disconnected nostalgia wave is over. For now.

Fanfic WIPs: The Day Benden Went to War (Pern/Talent); Slosh (Pern); Weyrbred Lads (Pern); When You Fall Asleep /Between/... (Pern)

Completed Fics: Flight (Pern), Flight v2 (Pern), Golden Glow (Pern)

D. M. Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23 2013, 08:02 AM   #24
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

I missed a whole lot of fandom in general. I guess now the "raison d'etre" (if my French hasn't completely failed me I think that's 'reason for being' ) for this and other sites is mostly to stay in touch with people, to share our current lives, to reminisce and to continue to enjoy each other's company? I think Anne would enjoy the fact that her personality and writing were so strong and loved that even her passing would not be the end of places where her fans gathered, even if we don't discuss her books much any more. Surely, she's always in the back of our minds when we come here.
Old Nov 23 2013, 08:58 AM   #25
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

She is on my mind when I am on one of the sites

Old Nov 23 2013, 04:56 PM   #26
Anneli
Weyrwoman

Now Reading: Dragonflight

Hear, hear, here Very well said, Priscilla, that's the main point IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla View Post
I think Anne would enjoy the fact that her personality and writing were so strong and loved that even her passing would not be the end of places where her fans gathered, even if we don't discuss her books much any more. Surely, she's always in the back of our minds when we come here.
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25 2013, 01:20 PM   #27
kindan

Fan of: Crystal Singer
Now Reading: David Drake - With the Lightning

I'd be up for a book club-esque discussion of some of the books! Seflishly, I still haven't read the Talent series or the Freedom series so would love to start there :3
Old Nov 25 2013, 03:38 PM   #28
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

I've never been much for discussing books but if someone starts something I might add two cents. . . I really liked the Talent series.
Old Nov 29 2013, 05:18 PM   #29
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Fan of: Crystal Singer series
Now Reading: Spirit Dances by CE Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. M. Domini View Post

I guess I am glad I did get to experience some portion of "active fandom" for AMC. I missed the Marion Zimmer Bradley boat entirely. I regret that. It would have been fun to gnaw over the Comyn and laran things. Maybe someday I'll do a Talent/Darkover crossover. Or Pern/Darkover crossover. I'd have to re-read all the MZB books to do it, though.
I miss it too, I'm currently reading Darkover and would love to discuss it with someone. I'm in the early stages -- Heirs of Darkover book.

Also, I would be willing to discuss Anne's literature because I missed most of the book discussions in early 2000's due to toddlers and exhaustion at times.

I, too, miss the busyness of the board and am glad it is still here. The Old KT board brought many wonderful people into my life. I'm on Facebook with most but it is not the same conversations as was found on the board so I would do my best to support a revitalization.

Crystal Singer introduce me to Anne but I think the Talent series is my favorite.
Old Nov 29 2013, 10:47 PM   #30
Lily

No reason why we should not discuss other SF writers surely?
In the appropriate forum of course
Old Nov 29 2013, 10:54 PM   #31
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing

Unfortunately, 2 of my OTHER favorite authors are also deceased, before our beloved Anne.

It has been put forth over at the NKT that perhaps we should condense the site now that she's gone between and save the site some money. Would I be out of order to suggest the same for discussion here? The last thing I want to do is offend.
Old Nov 30 2013, 12:36 AM   #32
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Would condensing the fora actually save any money? Does it depend on size? Or is it a flat fee for the site itself?

And it would be Kendal and Cheryl who saved the money (as far as I know).

C. S. Lewis

Old Nov 30 2013, 12:53 AM   #33
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Fan of: Crystal Singer series
Now Reading: Spirit Dances by CE Murphy

I hope we are able to revitalize the site.
Old Nov 30 2013, 08:15 AM   #34
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

I agree with Lily. No reason why new discussion can't be started about favorite authors, living or dead.
Old Dec 1 2013, 10:25 AM   #35
Hans
Master Archivist

It's a flat fee that only has to be paid once, so condensing wouldn't help. And I'm sure Cheryl and Kendall wouldn't do it to save server space, the database isn't that big

That been said, we could lose the foreign fora and maybe a few others because they are so inactive. I am loasth to close or delete them though, because it doesn't cost anything to keep them open and I like them being there for just the odd post.

Old Dec 1 2013, 10:30 AM   #36
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

At a very small South African site I belong to we came to the same conclusion. We used to have nearly as many categories as here. Many of them were lumped together into one place that I think ended up being called "everything else is now here!" Nothing is really gone, just when we visit the site now, only the few areas we still use are readily visible.
Old Dec 1 2013, 10:33 AM   #37
Hans
Master Archivist

The price for the VBulletin Board is one that only has to be paid once. AMCF has to pay for hsting and since Cheryl and Kendall host MoM on their own server(s) cost in that aspect and space is not an issue.
I could delete some of the lesser used fora, like the foreign ones and some of the lesser frequented ones, but I am loasth to do that since I like having them there for just the odd post, and it costs nothing to have them there. So condensin wouldn't mean anything to us.

We would welcome more discussion about SF, fantasy and other writers and books; we always did. What we do not want in here is the general discussion about politics, religion, news, etc. that seems to fill (or seemed to fill) a good chunk of the AMCF lounge. We never had that kind of lounge, not for over nine years and we like it that way.

Old Dec 1 2013, 10:40 AM   #38
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing

That's why I asked; so I could find out. Thanks!
Old Dec 1 2013, 01:54 PM   #39
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

A nice quiet place this. Civil, that's one word I'd use. Also, respect - for the owner, the hosts and each other. I'll keep posting as long as the door is open!
Old Dec 1 2013, 03:57 PM   #40
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Hans and Co: is there any chance of more Collector's Highlights?

C. S. Lewis