A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room > Collector's Marketplace

Collector's Marketplace Have some books you'd like to sell, trade, or give away? Looking for a particular item? Post about it here! Please read the forum guidelines first.

Old Jan 1 2010, 03:32 PM   #1
Nina
Talent

Finder

Fan of: The Talent series
Now Reading: almost a book a day
Gold Dragonsong, Dragonsinger, Dragondrums HC

My son is interested in getting hold of Dragonsong, Dragonsinger, and Dragondrums in English as separate hardcover books in very good condition or new. Do they exist at all? I have been searching ebay and abebooks without result. Can you help?

If not, can you help locate the homepage of an online seller who would ship to Denmark of the new paperbacks like this one?

I hope to get some for his birthday on April 6.

Thank you in advance for your help

The Rowan is my favourite!

"The name rowan is believed to derive from the Norse runa - "a charm". It was often planted outside houses to ward off witches. On May Day a spray of rowan leaves was hung over doors to repel evil, and wells dressed with rowan to keep witches away. The rowan, or mountain ash, is found commonly in Scotland, sometimes clinging to a rock face."
Nina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1 2010, 04:08 PM   #2
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Re: Dragonsong, Dragonsinger, Dragondrums HC

Nina, they exist in the original Atheneum hardcovers and there's also a US bookclub trilogy with the three books in one hardcover volume.

I personally have none of these for sale at the moment. I do have the trilogy but that one is spoken for by Samsara. Maybe somebody else can help you out but the volumes are reglarly offered for sale on eBay too. First editions, or lower edition numbers for that matter, can be expensive, but I've see very affordable copies too.

The picture you posted is the latest Simon and Schuster edition but those are trade paperbacks, not hardcovers.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1 2010, 05:12 PM   #3
~(_'>

I expect postage to Denmark would cost as much as the books. That said, I can get you a set. They have the previous owner's bookplate in them.
~(_'> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2 2010, 04:12 AM   #4
Hans
Master Archivist

Julie, compared to postage from Europe to the US the US rate isn't all that bad, even if the Americans think it is

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Jan 2 2010, 08:50 AM   #5
Nina
Talent

Finder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~(_'> View Post
I expect postage to Denmark would cost as much as the books. That said, I can get you a set. They have the previous owner's bookplate in them.
I am curious as to what you mean. Can you get the hardcover books separately? What do you mean that they have the previous owner's bookplate in them? Has the previous owner actually written in the books? If so, I do not think that my son is interested, as he wish for new or next to new and definitely not the three books in one hardcover volume. He is quite the collector type I am afraid (taking after his parents, I guess).

Hans, I have only seen Dragonsinger on ebay and it costs $300 alone

"The name rowan is believed to derive from the Norse runa - "a charm". It was often planted outside houses to ward off witches. On May Day a spray of rowan leaves was hung over doors to repel evil, and wells dressed with rowan to keep witches away. The rowan, or mountain ash, is found commonly in Scotland, sometimes clinging to a rock face."
Old Jan 2 2010, 09:01 AM   #6
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

New hardcovers of the Harper Hall books do not exist. The only ones that were made are decades old. The first edition/first printings by Atheneum are quite expensive as you've seen. Later printings can be had for much less, but generally they will show their age; near-new copies will also be pricey.

In short, what your son hopes to find doesn't exist as such; he'll have to compromise in some direction.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2 2010, 09:04 AM   #7
Hans
Master Archivist

Nina, you might not have your eBay search set for worldwide...

There's a nifty set of all three books on offer for only $49,95. That's a steal, especially with current exchange rates! Postage is relatively high, yes, at $26 but altogether not a bad price at all! Really.

Click this:
http://cgi.ebay.nl/Anne-McCaffrey-3-...item5187e970c5

It'll give you euros but if you copy the object number and paste that in your Danishe language eBay (IF set on worldwide) then you'll get it in your own language and currency

Old Jan 2 2010, 12:23 PM   #8
Nina
Talent

Finder

Hans, thank you !!!!!!!!

I just went and bought the books!!

Curious I have set the search to international trading, but these did not show up ? Maybe it just does not show the ones not in English?

I am very grateful, Hans

Old Jan 2 2010, 03:24 PM   #9
Hans
Master Archivist

You are very welcome, Nina. I'm glad I could be of service and you (and your son) got a great deal with these three books.

I don't know why they didn't turned up despite your setting being on world wide, ah well, not important anymore. Uhm, does your search include "Buy it now" or only auctions?

Old Jan 2 2010, 11:36 PM   #10
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

It may also be the spelling or how one (seller/buyer) writes the title of the book/author or the seller has put it into mystery instead of fantasy or a variety of other reasons, into the search engine. I've found a few oddballs by doing some variations of spelling, looking on other ebay sites etc. I wonder if perhaps listing all the ebay sites may help us all out, with looking for different things around the world.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3 2010, 03:43 AM   #11
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

My main "Anne McCaffrey" search is set to all countries and all categories, which throws up all sorts of oddments. I also search under MacCaffrey, MacCaffery & McCaffery (& Todd McCaffrey/Todd Johnson)

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3 2010, 03:43 AM   #12
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl View Post
New hardcovers of the Harper Hall books do not exist. The only ones that were made are decades old. The first edition/first printings by Atheneum are quite expensive as you've seen. Later printings can be had for much less, but generally they will show their age; near-new copies will also be pricey.

In short, what your son hopes to find doesn't exist as such; he'll have to compromise in some direction.
I do have them in Paperback, one need some tape on the spine but, the rest are OK, I got them second hand and lots of reading. As for sending well money is tight right now. Ginny
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3 2010, 04:30 AM   #13
Hans
Master Archivist

Never mind, Ginny. She was after hardcovers and already bought them.

Old Jan 21 2010, 01:16 PM   #14
Nina
Talent

Finder

I got the books today! They have never been opened or read, and if one of the papercovers were not a bit creased at the edge, I would believe that they had not been touched by a human hand They are so fine!

Three other books by the same seller arrived too and in very good condition even with the author's signature, Charles Stross.

Old Jan 22 2010, 03:32 AM   #15
Hans
Master Archivist

Well, congratulations. If they look that good it was a super deal!