A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Library Foyer > The Information Desk and Suggestion Box

The Information Desk and Suggestion Box Do you have any feedback or suggestions to share about this site? Having any troubles or just a general question about the board? Let us know!

Old Jan 22 2006, 01:08 AM   #41
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !
Default Re: Bigger Avatar ?

Anneli, I have tried to get one of them on here but it won't work. I will try again later maybe on a Pm

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22 2006, 05:44 AM   #42
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

I'll gladly host the pics and upload them for you, Lady Maelin. You know that. Just send them (to the hansvanderboom@gmail.com account by preference) and tell me where you want them

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22 2006, 01:32 PM   #43
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Hans,
Thank you for the offer, I ended up sending them to Anneli by PM, and it worked, I think. It has to others that way, so I am sure it worked for her too. There has been a few others that have wanted to see more of the work, so I put some more of the pictures into the "Bucket", like you had me set up. Now I can send them almost any where. I think that they were to big to get on the thread, and that is why it didn't work to do it here.
I wasn't sure if Cheryl wanted all of that cluttering up her site, so I just did it in the priviate mail.
I am so thankfull for all of your great help, now I have a way to show it to anyone I want to. It works so easy, I love learning all of this.

Again thank you, you are a genius of solving problems on this machine, at least for me you have been.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Jan 22 2006, 03:08 PM   #44
Hans
Master Archivist

A genius... aw

I'd like to be on the receiving end of all that you want to share with us, please. So if you have (digital) artwork I haven't seen yet please, please send it by mail?

It's YOU who'se the genius, dear Maelin

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Jan 22 2006, 06:03 PM   #45
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Hans, Ok, I have sent some to you let me know it you get it. I am still not sure that this is working all the time. Hope that you enjoy it.

Old Jan 22 2006, 06:04 PM   #46
Anneli
Weyrwoman

Now Reading: Dragonflight

Sorry, Lady Maelin, it didn't work, at least not for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin
Hans, Thank you for the offer, I ended up sending them to Anneli by PM, and it worked, I think. It has to others that way, so I am sure it worked for her too.
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22 2006, 06:19 PM   #47
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Thats ok I think that I know what I did wrong, I will try again. PM right now

Old Jan 22 2006, 06:30 PM   #48
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)
Thumbs up Re: Bigger Avatar ?

Quote:
I wasn't sure if Cheryl wanted all of that cluttering up her site, so I just did it in the priviate mail.
Your artwork is beautiful and I think there are many of us that would like to see it. You are welcome to post it here (well not here, in the Lounge is best), using the IMG command.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22 2006, 07:59 PM   #49
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Cheryl, You are so very kind to allow me to do that, I will try to keep it to a minimum. Thank you so much for the very very nice compliments for my work,
I hope to say thank you in a nicer manner very SOON, I hope that you will like it? But it will be sent PM through Hans so that I know that it will get to you.

Old Jan 22 2006, 08:14 PM   #50
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Cheryl, I am so sorry I thought that I had this in the Lounge and I put it in the wrong place, can you move it or erase it and I will go in to the other room. I knew something would go wrong, when I got the pictures in there so easy.

Old Jan 22 2006, 10:50 PM   #51
Cheryl
Master Archivist

This thread is where it should be, since it is a question pertaining to how the board works (avatars). It's the posting of your pictures that I think belongs in the Lounge, which I see you've already done! No worries, and thanks for sharing your beautiful works with everyone!
Old Jan 28 2006, 09:49 PM   #52
monkeysrule
Le RAWR.
Hatchling

Fan of: Monkeys
Now Reading: expensive textbooks!

Quote:
Ok lets see if it gets here
Woah!

Any suggestions on how to draw people? Especially the faces. How do you do lips so perfectly? They're hard!

I wish I could draw people, it would add so much to my lonely dragon drawings.

monkeysrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28 2006, 10:50 PM   #53
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Monkeysrule, Thank you for you very nice words about my art work. I have been drawing for a very long time, and I have always love to do people. All I can say is practice, practice. The best way to practice is with a mirror and yourself, when you draw yourself you never have to chase someone down and try to get them to sit still while you are trying to sort their face out. Why don't you buy yourself an inexpensive "how to draw portraits" book, and study what they say to do. Once you have it you will always have it for reference. I have bought books for reference all of my life and have almost anything that I could think of drawing, except "PERN DRAGONS". If you can draw them you are doing pretty good in my book. I draw the dragons and firelizards too, but I have to work at it. I know as I go along it will get easier, just a little practice is all it takes. "GOOD LUCK"

Old Jan 29 2006, 03:48 AM   #54
Myt
Stowaway
Senior Apprentice

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: Something, always something...

I mainly draw animals (especially dragons)
Myt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30 2006, 09:03 PM   #55
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

I'm bad with getting all those proportions right, and don't even do hands at all anymore. Though I think I'm improving with bodies after studying the Renaissance and Da Vinci in university.

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30 2006, 10:32 PM   #56
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Tresa, I use a mirror to make sure that the picture is in proportion. I hold the picture up to the mirror and see it from the different perspective. To me practice is the key to getting things to go right in your picture, I am drawing all the time on something, and practicing. Good Luck to you on your next drawing. Maybe when they the "Exibit Hall" open you will put something in there that you have done.

Old Oct 10 2008, 05:55 PM   #57
Cavatica
Selkie

Fan of: Pern, Talents
Now Reading: Just finished: House of Suns

So obviously this is a super-late bump to this thread, and I'm sorry if anyone else has asked this question before, but--

Is there any way to have avatars larger than 80 x 80? It's sort of ridiculously small. I've tried all kinds of ways to crop and resize pics I'd like to use for avatars, and it's barely worth doing.
Cavatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11 2008, 04:43 AM   #58
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

I had problems with mine too. Had to play around with it just like a few more I can think of LOL don't know when I well be able to add them. Printer/Scanner still now.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11 2008, 05:55 AM   #59
Hans
Master Archivist

Well, I don't want the avatar bigger (read wider) than the blue box it is in but I'll take this up with Cheryl after she comes back; at first glance it seems that some increase in size won't be a problem.

Old Oct 11 2008, 09:01 AM   #60
Cheryl
Master Archivist

I will think on it while here at AlbaCon, and we can have a staff discussion when I return. My first blush reaction is to keep the limit as is. It is smaller than most forums allow, and can present a challenge for cropping/resizing. But not all challenges are a bad thing, and it certainly increases the loading speed of pages.
Old Oct 11 2008, 07:13 PM   #61
Sandi

One of the many things I like about this site is the lack of "In Your Face" avatars. The increased loading speed with the smaller ones is a big plus for me too!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12 2008, 01:35 AM   #62
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post
Ok lets see if it gets here
Just curious, was it accidently deleted because I got this message?

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12 2008, 07:29 AM   #63
Hans
Master Archivist

Don't know what you mean there Jube. If you get an image like that it indicates that what it says has happened.

I happen to know that Lady Maelin recently reorganised some of her photobucket pics and folders, so I guess the pic that was orignally behind the link was moved, not removed.

I take care not to move things in the photobucket, even after discover I could have better organised things. But at sometime it is inevitable and broken links will appear. If it was an important link you should report it to the person who posted so he/she can take action if it is felt necessary.

Old Oct 12 2008, 07:08 PM   #64
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Sorry about that Jude, I don't know what you had copied in your post...I could see if I could re-load it for you. I have recently moved some of my art work, without realizing that it would break the connections here...most I replaced, but is seems that I miss yours...again I am very sorry.

Old Oct 13 2008, 07:10 AM   #65
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

O well that's okay, Lady Maelin, I was just wondering which artwork I had missed. Everyone seems to have got to it okay, barring me. I'm feeling like the odd one out YOU'RE FORGIVEN but have another go. I'm still learning too about photobucket, myself.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Oct 13 2008, 06:12 PM   #66
Cavatica
Selkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl View Post
I will think on it while here at AlbaCon, and we can have a staff discussion when I return. My first blush reaction is to keep the limit as is. It is smaller than most forums allow, and can present a challenge for cropping/resizing. But not all challenges are a bad thing, and it certainly increases the loading speed of pages.
Well, they certainly wouldn't have to be massive, or even as large as AMCF's 150 x 150. But surely 100 x 100 wouldn't tax people's connections that much more.
Old Oct 14 2008, 04:09 AM   #67
Hans
Master Archivist

Personally the only thing I severely dislike is animated avatars.

Hmm... maybe if we do not allow the GIF format.

Old Oct 14 2008, 08:51 AM   #68
Cavatica
Selkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Personally the only thing I severely dislike is animated avatars.

Hmm... maybe if we do not allow the GIF format.
I don't like animated gifs either, but if you ban them, then people can't use transparent images, either.

There aren't an unmanageable number of site members here. Just like you'd police offensive material on a case-by-case basis, you could always just prohibit animated gifs and then, if you see one, you could ask the member to swap it out.
Old Oct 14 2008, 09:28 AM   #69
Hans
Master Archivist

True, and besides, the PNG format can have transparency, too.

In the early days (also on the KT) we used to help more members with their avatars than that there were coping with it themselves

Old Oct 14 2008, 10:11 AM   #70
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Animated gifs can be separately banned from regular gifs by vB. And they are.
Old Oct 14 2008, 10:33 AM   #71
Hans
Master Archivist

Ah, never thought to check that

Thanks

Old Dec 4 2008, 02:24 PM   #72
Cavatica
Selkie

Any progress on this discussion?
Old Dec 4 2008, 02:39 PM   #73
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Oh yeah. We're going to up the size to 100x100. Soonish. Maybe within the next week now that it's on my radar again.
Old Dec 4 2008, 04:21 PM   #74
Cavatica
Selkie

Sweet. Thanks!
Old Dec 4 2008, 05:04 PM   #75
Hans
Master Archivist

I'm sorry, Cat, but you using the word 'sweet' made that Gabriella Cilmi song pop right into my head

Old Dec 4 2008, 11:18 PM   #76
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Nothing sweet about me,

HANS NOW I'VE GOT IT IN MY HEAD and I'm sweet enough as it is, providing my halo hasn't tripped me over yet.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Dec 6 2008, 06:25 AM   #77
Dernok
Eskay

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
FYI : PNG vs GIF

I just wanted to drop in a side remark that there is a patent issue with GIF while PNG is free.

A quick check showed that my information seems to be "slightly" outdated...

http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/png-gif

What i had in mind was :

http://burnallgifs.org/archives/
http://www.jamesshuggins.com/h/tek1/burn_all_gifs.htm
Dernok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7 2009, 12:07 PM   #78
Cavatica
Selkie

Ahem.

i can has bggr avatar plz?
Old Jan 7 2009, 12:09 PM   #79
Cheryl
Master Archivist

My short term memory, behold it's almost complete non-existance. But at least I have electrical power.

Thanks for the reminder, please nag again in a few days if haven't done it yet.
Old Jan 8 2009, 09:17 PM   #80
Kugai
Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan

Fan of: Tower and Hive Series
Now Reading: Whatever takes my fancy at the moment

Cool, wouldn't mind having a larger Avatar size. Hope we get it.

Homepage
FreeBabylon5
FreeBabylon5 Website
Kugai is offline   Reply With Quote