A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café

The Library Café Come in, relax, and get to know the other members of this site. Share your hobbies and interests, along with general news of your life.

Old Mar 3 2005, 09:37 AM   #201
sassie
Inactive

Location: Bristol U.K. but normally in which book i'm reading at the time
Default Re: Getting to know you...

Hi Devvca
I've been following the saga of the returning laptop on the other boards and it's nice to see you here as well
I enjoy all the boards and find each one differs in their own little ways,
I'm now a Hellkat of Wam on the 'Pernese Friends' board and reached my 50th post on NKT in the early hours of this morning...... and I've just become a Weft here after having to be a Heavyworlder in the middle of my diet!
So be warned everyone...you can run but you can't hide!!!!
Beware of my jokes too!!!
sassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3 2005, 03:38 PM   #202
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

Fan of: the Dragonriders of Pern!
Now Reading: The Elder Gods - Eddings

Hi Devvie!

glad your lappy is fixed!

"When a harper is silenced, all men should listen harder." AtWoP
c_ris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5 2005, 02:38 PM   #203
C'milo
Inactive

Default Re: Welcome to the Meet and Greet Center!

Hmmm, You all look friendly enough, I might as well stay.
C'milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6 2005, 02:11 PM   #204
Jesserli
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferngale

I live in Beautiful Bucks County, Pennsylvania
Neat!

I'm in NJ, but I compete at horse trials at Bucks County Horse Park! Nice area.
Jesserli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7 2005, 07:59 PM   #205
Levallia
Inactive

Location: In an alternate universe that exists only in my own mind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghyle
I don't know, Levallia, intelligence from some of us is rare, especially on cold mornings before a cup of tea; I speak from personal experience.

Of course you're welcome here: you're a wonderful young lass who constantly makes this place better.

You may like to have a look at the work of J. K. Potter, for inspiration for your photography; he's brilliant!

Fare thee well, sweet maid,
your post this day has made.
Thank you Ghyle, you're so nice . And from where I come from, this is intelligent conversation. I live in the middle of nowhere and go to a tiny, run-down public school , so this is VERY intelligent conversation.

I have some really bad news though. It seems the stupid ***** principal of my high school has been following my internet use on the school computers especialy closely (he and I have NEVER gotten along, he's a dweeb and a spineless coward and I have no respect for him and he knows it and we both hate each other's guts) and he has systematicly blocked EVERYTHING I look at on the internet; video game sites, art sites, and EVERY dragonriders of pern site. So without the school computers I'll only be able to write when I'm at my grandparents' house (I don't have internet at mine). But not to worry, he will pay DEARLY . As I allways say, "Payback's a *****". Next year (when I'm about to graduate and he can't do a thing about it), I will humiliate him publicly for all the crud I've had to put up with under his negligent, discriminative (against intellectuals) administration. I won't post what though until I've done it because he may be checking this site to see what I write and try to get some forwarning. I'll be sure and tell ya'll how it goes once it's been done though; all I'll say for now is, prepare to laugh 'till it hurts .
Levallia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8 2005, 01:47 AM   #206
ghyle
Resident Poet
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Fan of: Pern & Freedom
Now Reading: The Umbrella Club / David Brooks

Levallia,

I believe the best revenge is living well. He's not worth the hassle and bother of revenge plans, simply, because he's just a little sh*t-worm with no heart, and the intelligence of a lobotomised tardigrade. Ignore the little pest.

Instead, concentrate on being happy, and enjoying your grandparents' company. Introduce them to Anne's books? Why not!

Have yourself a good old time; I shall try and remain intelligent, even if only for you. But then, that's a wonderful reason, no?
ghyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8 2005, 10:43 AM   #207
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

I wouldn't antagonise him principals are sneaky

just do well!

Old Mar 8 2005, 01:40 PM   #208
sassie
Inactive

Location: Bristol U.K. but normally in which book i'm reading at the time

There's a saying, Levallia, that revenge is a dish best eaten cold so don't give him a chance to damage your future in any way, so keep your head down until is unable to hinder you in anyway.
I'm pm'ing you something that will make you laugh and may give you some Ideas!!!!
sassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8 2005, 02:01 PM   #209
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

remember when you have some high-flying or brilliantly intellectual job he'll have to look up to you, and he'll probably say how you were his favourite pupil and how he supported you in everyway, blah, blah, blah, blah...
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8 2005, 04:18 PM   #210
ghyle
Resident Poet
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Good morning to you all! Although I had a difficult night in part (I got spooked by shadows, and thought my bedroom door was opening when it wasn't) and night-noises (as per usual), I woke nice and early and thought to say what a nice day it appears to be, at this end.
Old Mar 8 2005, 05:18 PM   #211
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

its night here! well 9:16pm
neighbour has tv on loudly next door and will do for hours!
so I'm going to have to get my headphones out.

he's got the most ANNOYING laugh!!!
Old Mar 8 2005, 11:56 PM   #212
Saphirdrache
Inactive

Fan of: Pern, Lunzie, Freedom etc
Now Reading: Uller Uprising

Ghyle! i'm so glad your day dawned with joy!

i have problems sleeping thru the nights from night noises as well. i sleep far too light and i know what a terrible hassle that can be!

May your night be peaceful and cozy,
And your dreams be kissed softly rosey.

May the nightbirds lull you to sweet dreams.
And the shadows never trouble thee.

May the breeze warmly whisper of love,
And the stars smile comforts from above.

May the morn dawn sweetly calm and bright,
And these wishes wing to you this night.

eeeeep! i am sorry about the aggravating neighbor Edith!
maybe you could treat him to a little something audible from your side? maybe get the message across that he's being too loud?

i do hope you have a better go of things! my neighbors are determined to tear up the quiet of every single saturday night late. and this ole momma bear gets pretty incensed at them for waking my girl all hours. makes me grit my teeth. :sigh: why cant people be more sensitive?
Saphirdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9 2005, 02:03 AM   #213
ghyle
Resident Poet
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

My commiserations to you both. I am fortunate that I have quiet neighbours, and that I try to be quiet too. My main worry is the night-noises, as I can't stop getting all jumpy over them. It can get distressing sometimes, and I can no longer find myself sleeping with the light on as of old; I just can't do it now.

So every night tends to get tense for me....
Old Mar 12 2005, 05:09 PM   #214
Radar
Inactive

Smile Re: Getting to know you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kater
Ooohh a fellow vertically challanged person
I'm also vertically challenged at 5' 1".

Hi from Radar. I found this thread and thought I should introduce myself. My name is Evelyn and I have two children (B-22 and G-19). I'm divorced and share my home with my Mom and son. My daughter is away at college and I'm looking forward to having her home next month. It was her first year and I don't know who it was harder on her or me.

I've been a fan of Anne's since 1977 when my Mom give me Dragonflight to read after she read it first. We quickly became fans and I started giving my Mom Anne's books as gifts. Now I'm giving her Todd's books, starting with Dragon's Kin for her birthday in May. We are looking forward to reading Dragonsblood from the public library. I like Pern of course, The Ship who Searched, Restoree, Petaybee Series, Talent Series and Tower & Hive Series, Freedom Series, Acorna Series, the rest of Brain & Brawn Ship Series, Crystal Singer Series, No One Noticed the Cat and Black Horses for the King.

Well, that's about it except for the weather here in British Columbia, Canada. It was a strange winter in that we didn't get a lot of snow or a really long spell of cold weather like we usually do. I live in the Columbia river valley at a city named after Lord Revelstoke. We are presently having spring-like weather.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13 2005, 03:01 AM   #215
ghyle
Resident Poet
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Hiya, Radar!

So glad you stopped by with this extra info; it's lovely to find out more about you.

You may be jealous of me, actually, given the niceness of where I live; I'm almost in subtropical Australia.

Have a look here: http://clubbanora.au-golf.net/

That's no more than ten minute's walk from my home, and I sometimes go there for a meal with my mum. The vegetation and greenness is typical of almost year-round. It does tend to get dry and brownish during the colder months, because the rain is concentrated from late spring to early autumn.

ciao!
Old Mar 13 2005, 06:09 AM   #216
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Welcome Radar and Happy Posting! Did your son and daughter caught the Anne virus too?

If not, maybe we can give you some tips how to convert them

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14 2005, 07:40 PM   #217
Radar
Inactive

Thanks for the welcome Hans. I remember you from the Kitchen Table.

Both children are interested. Although, one hasn't found the time to start reading Anne's great books and the other one did start the Acorna books. He is also interested in the Pern novels. Maybe during her summer break from college, I can interest my daughter in reading one of Anne's books instead of Star Trek Enterprise novels.
Old Mar 16 2005, 05:15 PM   #218
Levallia
Inactive

I'm not going to do anything too awful, just a little something to take him down a peg. Blocking this site was the last straw. Besides, it'll be lots of fun!
Old Mar 16 2005, 05:25 PM   #219
Levallia
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghyle
Instead, concentrate on being happy, and enjoying your grandparents' company. Introduce them to Anne's books? Why not!

Have yourself a good old time; I shall try and remain intelligent, even if only for you. But then, that's a wonderful reason, no?
Introduce my grandparents to Pern? I would very much like to keep my books! My grandmother would throw a fit if she knew there was anything even remotely sexual in what I was reading and make my mother get rid of all the books I own (I come from a VERY sheltering family [my mom went so far as to rip the pages on reproduction out of my horse dictionary and my brothers dog dictionary])! It is for this reason that I only asked my mom to read Dragonsong and possibly Dragonsinger, anything else and I lose my books .

PS: I don't think you have to try to remain intelligent ghyle, it seems to come naturally to you, but thanks for the thought.
Old Mar 16 2005, 06:33 PM   #220
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

Levallia, I think I missed something......

HOW old are you again????

What is your mother going to do when you get sex ed in school?
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17 2005, 04:40 AM   #221
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Poor you Levallia!
I'm lucky with my folks-they're ok with books.
the whole reproduction thing ound worse than the kid in Mum' school-they're not allowed to be taught in school, but they're all taught at home.
Old Mar 18 2005, 02:43 AM   #222
Devcca

Fan of: Eh, The White Dragon
Now Reading: *Too busy to read* Textsbks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar
I'm also vertically challenged at 5' 1".

Hi from Radar. I found this thread and thought I should introduce myself. My name is Evelyn and I have two children (B-22 and G-19). I'm divorced and share my home with my Mom and son. My daughter is away at college and I'm looking forward to having her home next month. It was her first year and I don't know who it was harder on her or me.

I've been a fan of Anne's since 1977 when my Mom give me Dragonflight to read after she read it first. We quickly became fans and I started giving my Mom Anne's books as gifts. Now I'm giving her Todd's books, starting with Dragon's Kin for her birthday in May. We are looking forward to reading Dragonsblood from the public library. I like Pern of course, The Ship who Searched, Restoree, Petaybee Series, Talent Series and Tower & Hive Series, Freedom Series, Acorna Series, the rest of Brain & Brawn Ship Series, Crystal Singer Series, No One Noticed the Cat and Black Horses for the King.

Well, that's about it except for the weather here in British Columbia, Canada. It was a strange winter in that we didn't get a lot of snow or a really long spell of cold weather like we usually do. I live in the Columbia river valley at a city named after Lord Revelstoke. We are presently having spring-like weather.
Hiya Radar!!! I'm even smaller than you 4' 11''.. and I call myself Tiny!!
Devcca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22 2005, 06:50 PM   #223
Levallia
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnMarie
Levallia, I think I missed something......

HOW old are you again????

What is your mother going to do when you get sex ed in school?
I just turned 17. I know; it's pathetic, but it's my life. Also, my mom didn't like the idea of sex ed, but preferred it to having to talk to me about 'it' herself.
Old Mar 22 2005, 08:39 PM   #224
Larra Dragonrider
I dropped. I stay.

Hello, I don’t know if anyone is on this thread anymore, but I thought I’d say hi. I don’t know if you all can tell from my posts, but I’m most likely one of the youngest people you’ll meet here on MoM, and no, I’ll not tell my age, so this will have to suffice. I started on Anne McCaffrey about a year ago, and I’m hooked. My favorite series is Pern, as you all probably can tell from my siggy. I am the oldest of three children, and I play soccer (football for some), basketball, and run track. Larra is not my real name, but I go by many; Larra, Azura, Razzi, and yes, Anne. I want to be a writer and Marine Biologist, and I study classical Latin (you’d think this would give me away, would you not? ah, but I am younger than you all think. Heh heh! ) I'm not really vertically challenged, 5'4, and I'm not sure if i will grow anymore. So… yeah. ask if you want to know anything else. The End.

P.S. Ghyle, I’m also a small, furry rodent: hamster.
Larra Dragonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23 2005, 02:11 AM   #225
ghyle
Resident Poet
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Rodents unite!

Hamsters and voles, marching foreleg in foreleg, squeaking Swinburne's sonorous songs...what a dream... what a dream... what a dream!

So glad that you could join us here, of course: you're an indispensible part of our Pern-loving family now.

But you can pm your age to me, though...

, Larra!
Old Mar 25 2005, 05:51 PM   #226
Radar
Inactive

BTW, did I tell you that I'm a golden eagle.

I guess I forgot to tell you that fact about myself.

Rodents are quite yummy!

Welcome Larra!
Old Mar 26 2005, 03:31 AM   #227
ghyle
Resident Poet
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Beware, Radar, if thou shouldst striketh at this little vole, thou shalt see the flash of red tooth and claw!

For I am but a fighting vole, capable of much grievousness if provoked, for, yea, I sticketh up for my self.

Old Mar 26 2005, 05:50 AM   #228
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

There once was a vole on the gold coast
Who was infinitely braver than most
When the eagle thought: him I'll pick
The vole lashed out electric
And the poor eagle was nothing but toast

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26 2005, 07:34 AM   #229
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

mmm... roast eagle... :homersimpsondroolingsmilie:

Old Mar 26 2005, 06:42 PM   #230
ghyle
Resident Poet
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Old Mar 27 2005, 11:54 AM   #231
Saphirdrache
Inactive

Fan of: Pern, Lunzie, Freedom etc
Now Reading: Uller Uprising

oh, i enjoyed that! LOL
Saphirdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27 2005, 10:15 PM   #232
Radar
Inactive

Post Re: Getting to know you...

Very nice, Hans! Never fear folks, this eagle prefers fish!
Old Mar 28 2005, 03:07 AM   #233
ghyle
Resident Poet
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

You deserve a anyway, Radar.
Old Mar 31 2005, 04:31 AM   #234
kireseth68
Inactive

Big Grin Re: Getting to know you...

Hi there !

My name is Kireseth (Peggy in RL) , I'm 28 ( 29 in one month ) and I live in France. I work like a librarian in a little village and study education sciences on university. I want to change job and prepare for enter a competition to be primary school teacher.
I apologize for my english, I know it's really awful But it doesn't exist a forum like that (about AMC) in France, so I'll need to exert myself a bit to understand some threads
I began to read Anne McCaffrey's books when I was teenager, and I really love her series, but Pern is my favorite. The another author I love too is Marion Zimmer Bradley. And I read different genres but fantasy is the genre I prefere.
I had all the collection of AMC books, but I lost it when I moved So I try to re-collect it, but lot of their books in french are worked out... So I encourage me to read in english (I bought Dragon's Kin but I did not receive it for the moment).
So, I'm nice to meet another AMC fans

Goodbye for now !
kireseth68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31 2005, 04:36 AM   #235
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

Welcome Kireseth/Peggy!

Your english is certainly a lot better than my french.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31 2005, 05:55 AM   #236
Kugai
Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan

Fan of: Tower and Hive Series
Now Reading: Whatever takes my fancy at the moment

Welcome aboard Kireseth/Peggy

Don't worry about your English, it's better than some of us who've spoken it all our lives :ok:

Hope you enjoy it here.

Homepage
FreeBabylon5
FreeBabylon5 Website
Kugai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31 2005, 07:14 AM   #237
kireseth68
Inactive

Thank you for your indulgence ! Hopefully I have a dictionnary...

I would like to improve my english for reading fantasy english books, because traductions (when there are... ) are really poor in french....

So, I have lot of interessant threads to read in this forum...

kireseth68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31 2005, 05:17 PM   #238
ghyle
Resident Poet
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

G'day, Kireseth!

Welcome to our merry band! You are doing well with your English; the main thing is that you can be understood by others, not that you are entirely correct. If you feel that you would like help, you can always drop me an email. I like helping people out, and I may be able to assist you as you struggle with the vagaries of what is a difficult tongue.

Your English is better than my French. I am envious that reading Mallarme is a far richer experience for you than it ever can be for me.

au revoir!
Old Mar 31 2005, 06:37 PM   #239
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

Welcome aboard Peggy! Your English is fine for someone who wasn't raised speaking it. I know NO French.

This is a great place. And if you find yourself stumbling over a post, don't hesitate to ask one of us for help!
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31 2005, 08:57 PM   #240
monkeysrule
Le RAWR.
Hatchling

Fan of: Monkeys
Now Reading: expensive textbooks!

G'day (rider of bronze Peepth) !!

My name is Monkeysrule. Real name. No, really, it is. I like monkeys (enough said...) and hate Anne McCaffrey for not putting monkeys (and chocolate!!! ) on Pern, though I forgive her because she has the best dragons in literary history in her many Pern books. Not to mention White Ruth !! I am a serious (no kidding) Pern fan(atic). I am here looking for a Pernaholics Anonymous group. Oh, and Larra Dragonrider, I am probably younger than you, but I too will leave my age for people to guess. I live on Pern(I wish!!!!).
monkeysrule is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rhodalle