A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Apr 4 2008, 11:14 AM   #121
OnyxDrake
Inactive

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: Too many books!!!
Default Re: Well. they are making the movie.

Merchandising... merchandising. Now, authors, always remember to try and retain your rights to the merchandising...
OnyxDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4 2008, 11:48 AM   #122
OnyxDrake
Inactive

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: Too many books!!!

The thing that works for Eragon AND McCaffrey and why both made good stories to read is the fact that there is a host of characters that readers can identify with. If you create a cast that catches your readers eyes, you've got it made. Everyone will pick their favourite.

I've just been looking recently at the spin-offs from J O'Barr's "The Crow". The first movie wasn't bad as it was quite close in spirit to the original graphic novel. The rest, I'm afraid, went downhill from there as being entirely derivative.

When you can no longer understand a character's motivations for his actions, then you have a problem. And sadly, in Eragon, much of the characters' motivations went out the window.

X
OnyxDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4 2008, 10:18 PM   #123
ghost8772

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: The Dresden Files

too many movies suprised the production company by becoming an instant cult classic. The Crow (with added impetus that Brandon Lee died in filming) Highlander, a few others . but when they decided to capitalize on the instant success, they really tried to kill the whole thing. some people are just born meddlers I suppose.
ghost8772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30 2008, 04:36 PM   #124
Harconnis
Inactive

Fan of: Master Robinton is my fav
Now Reading: The Lucifer Diary Lewis Walton

I guess it’s my turn to chime in. I would like to reply to some of the posts on this thread although some of them are a few years old but being a new comer I have only just read them.

First, I have observed much controversy running through every pern movie thread, to which I would like to make a blanket reply. We each have produced our own movies of pern in our minds. Being a long term pern fan myself, about 16 years, I consumed each book in the series many times. My imagination projected the world of pern in my own DD surround sound, hi-def, I-max Theater. I made my own impressions on what pern looked like, sounded like, felt like, smelled like even tasted like. Let alone casting my own images of men, women, children, firelizards and dragons, as did every one of you I am sure.

Though we all share McCaffery’s vision, if anyone of us were to produce that movie whether it be Steven Hoban who I now understand has the rights, peter Jackson, Ronald Moore or any one of us hardcore fans, were we to have all the skills and resources at our disposal, It would be an impossibility to please everyone. Because it would never be exactly the way the other had envisioned it. I for one will enjoy the movies regardless because I view any novel movie a separate work from the novel unless directed by the author for example Star Wars.

That being said, whether it be Tolkien, Paolini or McCaffery it is an author’s craft to supply sufficient descriptive information for their readers so they can build a personal and unique connection to the author’s vision, too which our beloved Anne McCaffery is a master. Likewise it is a movie director’s craft to produce their personal interpretation of the author’s vision for the viewing pleasure of others. Can't we all enjoy the inturpritation of another's inpression of pern, without being hung up on our own?

Second, the following post disgusts me, please forgive me for being a little harsh and confrontational but I just can't abide with intolerants and arrogants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
Which, Hans, is why I am completely against filmed adaptations, especially of excellent books. I would like to see the cinema people stick to original scenarii, adapted to the unique visual and auditory possibilities of the medium, instead of deforming someone else's creation. The written word and the audio-visual world fulfil different purposes after all.

Unfortunately, too many people either have no imagination of their own, are too lazy to read, or are incompetent to read intelligently. The cinema provides easily-digestible pap for such. Which, of course, is how it makes its money. Basing a film on a popular book creates its own publicity - who cares if the essential nature of the book is mangled, so long as it makes good Box Office, and therefore a whole pile of cash?

It's our own fault though. We Westerners are responsible for our rubbish culture, so long as we not only put up with it, but embrace it.
As a teen I battled dyslexia and tried many times to read Tolkien’s art but never could get into the literary mastery of them, until I saw Peter Jacksons’s Lord Of The Rings, The Fellowship Of The Ring. The movie so inspired me that I read the entire trilogy back to back before the Two Towers ever premiered and have been a Tolkien enthusiast ever since. If the motion picture industry sparks literacy in people especially young people or learning impaired people, so be it. Who are we to question the source?

There is a hindering flaw in the human psyche, one that hampers enlightenment and encumbers the progress of social accord and intellect; it is the insatiable need to be right. Imagine a world where everyone can acknowledge the paradigm or viewpoint of others, I do not mean for everyone to think the alike, diversity is the spice of life, just simply to seek first to understand then to be understood.

Last edited by Harconnis; Jun 30 2008 at 09:17 PM.
Harconnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1 2008, 10:52 AM   #125
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Look at Harry Potter, by the time each of the movies had come out, most people had read or re-read them, most would probably know it back to front by now. Plus it also had the added impetus of getting kids to read, regardless of what people had to say about the whole she-bang anyway. Same with the Narnia Chronicles, The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings, anything that gets people to read, no matter what age they are, is a good thing because it allows them to compare - was the book better then the movie or the movie better then the book or about the same??? It allows them to work out which was better for them.

I think the only book I've ever read, that went word for word in the movie was "Spaceballs", the scriptwriters must have made the script into a book and just went "Oh yeah, that'll do".

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2 2008, 10:37 AM   #126
GHarris

Fan of: The White Dragon
Now Reading: Skies of Pern

Quote:
Originally Posted by jube View Post
Look I think the only book I've ever read, that went word for word in the movie was "Spaceballs", the scriptwriters must have made the script into a book and just went "Oh yeah, that'll do".

There are many books that are done that way. The Star Wars novel (based on the movie Star War IV, A New Hope, but it was just Star Wars at the time) just basically took the script, and put it into book form. There were about two additional scenes in the book that got cut from the movie. One involved Luke going to visit his friend that had already gone to the academy and joined the rebellion.

These types of books are completely different than adapting a movie from a book.

(Successful in this case means that the producers/writers/directors did a good job of translating the literary source to the movie, while keeping most of the plot and character development intact. You could nitpick little things here and there, but on the whole, it was a good translation.)

I think that the Harry Potter movies have been mostly successful. Jaws was successful at doing this. PJ's LotR trilogy was very successful.

1. Did people enjoy the movies? Yes.
2. Could people enjoy the movies without reading the books? Yes
3. Could people that read the books still enjoy the movie? Yes
4. Were there little things here and there that people didn't like? Sure.

If you can answer "Yes" to the first 3 questions, then I consider it a successful translation. #4 is almost always going to be true, because some people have their favorite scene, phrase or minor character that gets cut or combined with others for times sake.

In a PERN movie, I could see the 2 fights that F'lar has with other Dragonriders being against the same person in the movie. Because plotwise, it is much simpler, and you don't have to introduce a new character. You'd already know that F'lar and that oldtimer have reasons to really dislike each other. Will that upset some people, you betcha. Will it upset most people that have read the PERN books? Probably not. Did some people that read the PERN books think they were the same person anyways? I know I did on my first reading of the trilogy.

But that would be much different than having the ruby ring of time travel.

GH
GHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2 2008, 03:14 PM   #127
Sandi

Most of the PTBs in the movie business are "busy" people who have other people to think and act for them. They want the shortest possible summary of any projects and they like to fit everything into niches. My biggest worry about a Pern movie is that it will be, by definition, a genre movie and we all know most movies in this particular genre are aimed at 14 year old boys.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2 2008, 09:12 PM   #128
Harconnis
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jube View Post
Look at Harry Potter, by the time each of the movies had come out, most people had read or re-read them, most would probably know it back to front by now. Plus it also had the added impetus of getting kids to read, regardless of what people had to say about the whole she-bang anyway. Same with the Narnia Chronicles, The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings, anything that gets people to read, no matter what age they are, is a good thing because it allows them to compare - was the book better then the movie or the movie better then the book or about the same??? It allows them to work out which was better for them.

I think the only book I've ever read, that went word for word in the movie was "Spaceballs", the scriptwriters must have made the script into a book and just went "Oh yeah, that'll do".
I trulyenjoyed Spaceballs but it is a parody of what became a social icon. If Star Wars (heaven forbid) had not succeeded, Spaceballs never would have either or may never been written at all. Parodies are not widely received by the masses either you love them or you hate them that’s just the nature of the genre. So in my opinion what success Spaceballs enjoyed was dew to Star Wars fandom which in itself is huge but it was never as popular with the masses as the caliber of films we have been discussing.
Old Jul 2 2008, 09:27 PM   #129
Harconnis
Inactive

GH,
Without seeming to take on Lara’s entire paradigm towards adapted films, I would like to defend the basis of it. Again I will use LOTR as an example. Although I watched PJ’s Fellowship of The Ring before reading Tolkien’s trilogy, after reading I realized that the films could never do the novels their literary justice, for starters the script for the film was revised for language in the 1990s a necessity for the success of the film and is understandable but that completely changed the literary accuracy for the film. Film simply can’t capture the literary artistry of master authors, just as novels can’t capture the visual artistry of master CGI film directors. If anyone hasn’t read the trilogy, likewise hasn’t watched the trilogy please do so. “A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still.”

Keeping in mind there will always be two opposing paradigms in life. I like to cultivate an alternative paradigm, a paradigm of the twilight neither dark nor light, a paradigm of balance, understanding and common ground. Take for instance, the way we view this discussion Instead of comparing films against novels and vice versa, try viewing them as separate forms of art, enjoying them for what they are, not what they are inspired by. We may find ourselves disagreeing less. You know the saying “never judge a book by its cover”? The same can be said here “never judge a film by its novel” or “never judge a novel by its film,” it’s Just a thought.
Old Jul 2 2008, 10:31 PM   #130
Harconnis
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi View Post
Most of the PTBs in the movie business are "busy" people who have other people to think and act for them. They want the shortest possible summary of any projects and they like to fit everything into niches. My biggest worry about a Pern movie is that it will be, by definition, a genre movie and we all know most movies in this particular genre are aimed at 14 year old boys.
Do you mean the genre of Scifi/fantasy? If so then I think most of us are 14 year old boys. If your worried anout the romance in the pern novels, its not a realy heavy aspect anyway...uhh... forgot about the mating flightsand Lessa and F'lar. Considering Mccaffrey targets teen readers herself, I dont think a little PG13 steam would be out of line. Actualy Sandi, can you explain your worry in more detail. maybe I am misunderstanding you.
I am very excited and do not have much concern as I have stated in above posts.

Pern has not been a real possibility until recently. The CGI industry in 2003 was finally able to create believable actors with realistic tone, texture and emotion then merge them with their real life counterparts on the blue screen, not to mention the directors and technicians skills to make on screen chemistry between them. A good example of this is the 2003 film The Incredible Hulk. Thanks to George Lucas and industrial light and magic quantum leaps were made in this industry from 1977 - 2008 and now with over three decades of experience the CGI film industry is ready for the mind of Anne Mccaffery and the world we all know as Pern.
Old Jul 5 2008, 05:11 AM   #131
Harconnis
Inactive

wow I think this thread surged off track, but a verry interesting track I might add, maybe with a little help from masters Chryl or Hans we could get it moved to its own thread..........
Old Jul 8 2008, 01:00 PM   #132
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harconnis View Post
wow I think this thread surged off track, but a verry interesting track I might add, maybe with a little help from masters Chryl or Hans we could get it moved to its own thread..........
Star Wars posts moved to their own topic in the Beyond Anne forum.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8 2008, 10:45 PM   #133
Shalyn
Inactive

Location: Loo-a-vull / Luhvuhl / Loo-ih-ville / Loo-a-ville / Looeyville / Lewisville Oh, Heck. Kentuckiana.
Fan of: Dragonflight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harconnis View Post
Another off-topic...

I know it's a typo, but I just love "Chryl" as a name!
Shalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16 2008, 01:40 AM   #134
Pernaficionado
Inactive

Fan of: Dragonsong
Now Reading: brainships

I am kind of "copy and paste"-ing here with a part of Lady M's eight portrait thread. But after scanning the post and looking up Lessa's portrait, I came up with this:

Quote:
This is slightly cross topic here, but with the previous comments as a lead up I don't know where else to fit it and make as much sense.
As soon as I saw the comments about the family resemblance I looked up Lessa's portrait in the encyclopedia. There are three, by robin wood, all of which I love. and I love that it shows a progression of her features. But the very first thing that hit me about the lessa portraits was the first one, with the red background. It looks very Angelina Jolie. This I mention( and here is the cross topic issue) because i just finished perusing the posts on the possible movie. There is also a thread on your dream cast. In my initial thought on the subject, I couldn't see Jolie as Lessa. I think that is based on the types of movies she usually does though. The portrait has really made me stop and think about it again. Does anyone else see what I am talking about?
Any thoughts...?
Old Jul 16 2008, 03:17 AM   #135
Dragongirl
.:. Baroness von Imp .:.
Weyrling

Fan of: I do not 'fan'. I obsess.
Now Reading: The Book of Lost Things - John Connelly.

If Fishy Lippy becomes Lessa I'll beat the casting team over the head with frying pans and various painful apparatus.

(Sorry for anyone that LIKES her...but please, not as Lessa)

Those who seek to create war are mongrels and fools, but the blood they spill as a result is never meaningless. - Lucrezia Noin

When someone is grieving for what they've lost, you can't really say you know how they feel, or how they should handle things. Because even if you've lost too, everyone grieves differently. Anyone who says otherwise are presumptuous idiots.-Hayley (My friend can be an astonishing wealth of wisdom)
Dragongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16 2008, 06:50 AM   #136
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

I think she might make a good Lessa but she might also be a bit too tall

Anyway, you can forget about big names, and like her or not, she is a big name. For a production like Dragonriders by Copperheart there will be NO money for big names, or maybe only for one.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16 2008, 10:08 AM   #137
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

I agree with Hans, on both points here with Angelina Jolie, she is way to tall to Play Lessa...and her normal salary will probably be the budget for the whole movie...LOL. I would think that they would probably go with someone new that is smallish with dark hair...although Lessa's looks might not even come into it. Lord look what they did in one of the old movies of Wonder Woman...played by a blonde.....AAARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!
I think that we can make wish list, and hope for someone that really looks like Lessa...but in the end if the movie makers can manage to get close to the story, and have reasonable looking dragons...we will all be mostly happy.

Besides we might even get to collect all the little action figures to play with....ROTFL!!!

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16 2008, 10:12 AM   #138
Dragongirl
Weyrling

I can see my brother stealing my Lessa one. The pervert.

Those who seek to create war are mongrels and fools, but the blood they spill as a result is never meaningless. - Lucrezia Noin

When someone is grieving for what they've lost, you can't really say you know how they feel, or how they should handle things. Because even if you've lost too, everyone grieves differently. Anyone who says otherwise are presumptuous idiots.-Hayley (My friend can be an astonishing wealth of wisdom)
Old Jul 16 2008, 10:28 AM   #139
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Now, now Sammy dear...you can fight back with your flaming Dragon....LOL

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Jul 16 2008, 10:35 AM   #140
GHarris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragongirl View Post

I can see my brother stealing my Lessa one. The pervert.
Yeah, but you'd be stealing his F'lar figure. Especially if it is modelled after Hugh Jackman.

GH
Old Jul 16 2008, 09:14 PM   #141
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Fan of: Pern, obviously.
Now Reading: That's classified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernaficionado View Post
I am kind of "copy and paste"-ing here with a part of Lady M's eight portrait thread. But after scanning the post and looking up Lessa's portrait, I came up with this:

Any thoughts...?
Absolutely not. She bears no resemblance to Lessa as described in the books (nowhere near delicate enough) and is too big to boot. She's also tragically overexposed, and starting to become typecast. She keeps playing essentially the same character over and over, rather like Jack Nicholson. If I see Pern, I want to see "Lessa" not Angelina Jolie. That was the big disappointment of the first Tim Burton Batman film: Jack Nicholson didn't play The Joker. He played Jack Nicholson, the same boring role he's played for decades.

Angelina Jolie has been a good actress, and some of her best roles are probably unknown to her larger audience, but she has become dated and past her prime (in terms of her craft and how she practices it, not that she's "old"). She would also be a budget-buster. I'll reiterate my preference for giving some starving unknowns a chance. Canadian Leah Cairns tops my list for the role.

Last edited by ElectricDragon; Jul 16 2008 at 09:20 PM. Reason: addition
ElectricDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16 2008, 09:15 PM   #142
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post
Lord look what they did in one of the old movies of Wonder Woman...played by a blonde.....AAARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!
Or Electra, a voluptuous Greek woman with jet hair being played by a scrawny, blonde.

Last edited by ElectricDragon; Jul 16 2008 at 09:19 PM. Reason: deletion
Old Jul 16 2008, 09:18 PM   #143
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Quote:
If Fishy Lippy becomes Lessa I'll beat the casting team over the head with frying pans and various painful apparatus.
I'll hold 'em. You hit 'em.
Old Jul 16 2008, 09:33 PM   #144
Pernaficionado
Inactive

Fan of: Dragonsong
Now Reading: brainships

Hence why Jolie never even occurred to me in my first perusal of both relavent threads.
It just sort of hit me in the Robin Wood portrait with the red background. very "Tomb Raider"
Her height would not be an issue, Hollywood has solutions for that. Johnny Depp is only about 5'3 for example, but camera angle and positioning (and an occasional footstool) make a difference. Lord of the rings did some fancy work to make the Hobbits "Hobbit-Sized"
I agree on the points concerning budget, and her type-casting. Someone had suggested Kristin Kreuk(sp?) from Smallville and I rather like that idea. Her eyes are a pretty amazing blue violet color instead of lessa'a grey, but her whole face is dainty but with commanding prescence. The later seasons really broaden her potential and show how tough and ruthless she could be if pushed. Smallville as a series has pretty well destroyed itself and become serious garbage in terms of plot or staying with the storyline but i don't take that as a reflection of the actors.
Pernaficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16 2008, 09:42 PM   #145
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Fan of: DroP/Canth fangirl
Now Reading: Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

I have to add this- I want a F'nor figure! :-)

*big grin thinking of that* Does Canth come included, or is he extra?

Another thought: do the people who play the people of Pern in said movie necessarily have to established actors? Many of the main actors in the Harry Potter movies either were not actors but the fans of thed books, or they were actors on the stage. Another example is Orlando Bloom- prior to LOTR he was some bloke in acting school in London, and look where his career has gone (besides I hope that he'll play F'nor, but that's not the point of this thread!). So a Pern movie could theoretically help some of its' actors hit the big time. Emerging talent's a lot cheaper, too.
Weyrlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16 2008, 11:50 PM   #146
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernaficionado View Post
Hence why Jolie never even occurred to me in my first perusal of both relavent threads.
It just sort of hit me in the Robin Wood portrait with the red background. very "Tomb Raider"
Her height would not be an issue, Hollywood has solutions for that. Johnny Depp is only about 5'3 for example, but camera angle and positioning (and an occasional footstool) make a difference. Lord of the rings did some fancy work to make the Hobbits "Hobbit-Sized"
I agree on the points concerning budget, and her type-casting. Someone had suggested Kristin Kreuk(sp?) from Smallville and I rather like that idea. Her eyes are a pretty amazing blue violet color instead of lessa'a grey, but her whole face is dainty but with commanding prescence. The later seasons really broaden her potential and show how tough and ruthless she could be if pushed. Smallville as a series has pretty well destroyed itself and become serious garbage in terms of plot or staying with the storyline but i don't take that as a reflection of the actors.
Depp is 5'9".

The techniques used in LOTR vis a vis the Hobbits and Dwarves aren't exactly without cost and wouldn't likely be used just to adjust an actresses' height.

Kreuk...meh. Seems a little lacking in...edges...for Lessa. Doesn't strike me as commanding; opposite in fact. Very much comes off as "young" and I think Lessa would come off as at least "mature" from an early age. From the photos I've seen, she doesn't seem to sit up or stand up straight, and her lower face is too broad. Always pictured Lessa as ramrod-straight, with her chin up a bit, and somewhat severe. Kreuk puts me in mind of the awful Claire Forlani who doesn't seem able to raise her head or her eyes. Lessa is described as "oddly" attractive at some point so I don't see a more conventional look working for her. Lessa needs to be hard. Never saw Smallville to know if Kreuk has the chops as an actor, so I won't comment on that. She's actually one of the few candidate actresses shorter than Cairns, but it's not that big of a difference.
Old Jul 16 2008, 11:51 PM   #147
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyrlady View Post
I have to add this- I want a F'nor figure! :-)

*big grin thinking of that* Does Canth come included, or is he extra?

Another thought: do the people who play the people of Pern in said movie necessarily have to established actors? Many of the main actors in the Harry Potter movies either were not actors but the fans of thed books, or they were actors on the stage. Another example is Orlando Bloom- prior to LOTR he was some bloke in acting school in London, and look where his career has gone (besides I hope that he'll play F'nor, but that's not the point of this thread!). So a Pern movie could theoretically help some of its' actors hit the big time. Emerging talent's a lot cheaper, too.
Concur on emerging talent.

Didn't initially think Bloom a possible fit for F'nor, but looking at the Kingdom of Heaven photos, I get it.

Last edited by ElectricDragon; Jul 16 2008 at 11:53 PM. Reason: change
Old Jul 17 2008, 01:21 AM   #148
Dragongirl
Weyrling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricDragon View Post
Kreuk...meh. Seems a little lacking in...edges...for Lessa. Doesn't strike me as commanding; opposite in fact. Very much comes off as "young" and I think Lessa would come off as at least "mature" from an early age. From the photos I've seen, she doesn't seem to sit up or stand up straight, and her lower face is too broad. Always pictured Lessa as ramrod-straight, with her chin up a bit, and somewhat severe. Kreuk puts me in mind of the awful Claire Forlani who doesn't seem able to raise her head or her eyes. Lessa is described as "oddly" attractive at some point so I don't see a more conventional look working for her. Lessa needs to be hard. Never saw Smallville to know if Kreuk has the chops as an actor, so I won't comment on that. She's actually one of the few candidate actresses shorter than Cairns, but it's not that big of a difference.
Lessa needs to be someone, as you said, with her "chin up". I've never imagined her as anything but having an air of defiance about her. And more than once in the books her presence has been described as "vivid", "graceful but authoritive" and so on. So no, I really don't see Kreuk as Lessa. I mean, I see Lessa as someone that, even if she's embarrassed and blushing, she'd still have the chin up and staring you in the eye.

(Great image to imagine, no?)

Quote:
I'll hold 'em. You hit 'em.
Deal. I'll even let you use the uber frying pan on them a couple of times.

Quote:
Concur on emerging talent.

Didn't initially think Bloom a possible fit for F'nor, but looking at the Kingdom of Heaven photos, I get it.
Orlando would make a damn good F'lessan, I've always thought. (Never mind that the movie they're apparently shooting is Dragonflight; I'm just saying)

Last edited by Dragongirl; Jul 17 2008 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Blame my insomnia. I can't spell the damn name properly.
Old Jul 17 2008, 09:56 AM   #149
GHarris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Anyway, you can forget about big names, and like her or not, she is a big name. For a production like Dragonriders by Copperheart there will be NO money for big names, or maybe only for one.
And if there is a big name, it should be for a part that holds all 3 books together.

And that person should be a fan of the series.

And that person should be the right look and age of their character.

So my suggestion:

Master Harper Robinton - Pierce Brosnan

GH
Old Jul 17 2008, 10:52 AM   #150
Dragongirl
Weyrling

I like Brosnan, but his movie deal would probably cost two Pern movie budgets.

Old Jul 17 2008, 11:04 AM   #151
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

I would say that if there's going to be a big name star for the movie...then the lead character that should be picked to carry it, should be the main character of Dragonflight...and that would be Lessa.
Even though she isn't a huge name now...I could see the movie doing rather well with Wynona Rider as Lessa...she has shown all of Lessa's qualities at one point or the other in several of her films. She's also has a tiny look to her in her films, and her face is nye on to perfect for the whole look...throw a long wig on her and you've got a perfect go for Lessa...IMO !!!

OOOoooooOOO, I never thought about Orlando Bloom for Flessan...but he would be great in that part.

Old Jul 17 2008, 10:54 PM   #152
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Quote:
Deal. I'll even let you use the uber frying pan on them a couple of times.
No need. I wouldn't be so kind to them. I'd shoot them with the Existential Blue Crayon Gun.
Old Jul 18 2008, 12:16 AM   #153
Dragongirl
Weyrling

Oh, that's harsh. Ouch.

(Frying pan brings about a slower death though, or that's what I think)

Old Jul 18 2008, 02:15 AM   #154
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Quote:
Oh, that's harsh. Ouch.

(Frying pan brings about a slower death though, or that's what I think)
Ah, but the EBCG fires a round of such an exquisitely melancholy shade that will cause a depression in even the densest of armor, thus permitting penetration.

I figure the typical casting director's skull is about as hard as armor plate...
Old Aug 11 2008, 12:42 PM   #155
Harconnis
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
I think she might make a good Lessa but she might also be a bit too tall

I too agree with Hans, Jolie and or Brosnan would be too much but a couple of Broadway actors would give the film the professional feel that would not break to budget. I could think of any number of them that would bring the right kind of flair to pern
Old Aug 12 2008, 08:52 PM   #156
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Sammy...I just re-read this post of yours...and I don't think I have ever read a better or more correct discription of Lessa....

Quote:
Lessa needs to be someone, as you said, with her "chin up". I've never imagined her as anything but having an air of defiance about her. And more than once in the books her presence has been described as "vivid", "graceful but authoritive" and so on. So no, I really don't see Kreuk as Lessa. I mean, I see Lessa as someone that, even if she's embarrassed and blushing, she'd still have the chin up and staring you in the eye.

(Great image to imagine, no?)
And YES it IS a great image to imagine

Old Aug 14 2008, 11:08 PM   #157
Kath713
Inactive

I was thinking about what would make a great teaser trailer for the movie and an image from the Troy trailer came to my mind. When the shot of one ship drew out to reveal hundreds of greek ships heading toward Troy.

I would like to see....

Landscape shot over Pern. Beautiful landscape with mountains and pern vegetation, maybe even a distant flock of wherries. Sky blue and clear.

Then a silvery mist begins to roll in. The audience begins to get glimpses of the silvery threads falling to the ground. Silent. Slight gleam from the sun. Almost pretty. Not seeming to be threatening, just rolling into the pastoral scene.

Then the camera angle lowers, and the threads begin to hit the foliage. Suddenly, the true vicious nature of thread is displayed as threads begin to hiss and eat away at the beauty. The only noise is the horrible hiss of the thread.

((I would imagine those unaware of Pern books may be like "Huh?"))

Then flame fills the screen. Noise like a flame thrower. The thread falls away into ash. You hear another noise, not quiet a growl, not quite a roar, but definitely an animal... and something BIG.....

The camera pulls back to reveal the source of the flame. A dragon, huge and bronze, with only the most fleeing glimpse of his rider....

Until the camera pulls back futher, revealing the true size of the dragon in comparison to its vaguely visible rider, who we can just see making hand gestures, dressed in dark brown riding gear.... just a glimpse....

The dragon flies on. Camera follows, pulling back more, revealing more and more and MORE fighting, flaming dragons, attacking the thread while the Red Star pulses ominously in the background....

Then cut to black.... for a moment.... until the title fades onto the screen....

Dragonflight
Dragonriders of Pern

Again, I think people unfamiliar with Pern will just be like "WTF? That looks kind of cool"

While us true fans begin wetting our pants (not literally, but I know I'm going to be freaking out when the teaser/trailer arrives)

It would give us a look at the dragons without ruining their big reveal in the movie. People will already know there are going to be dragons in the movie, but won't be able to fully realize what the dragons are about until the movie because of the telepathy with riders, etc. There's gotta be some dragons in the teasers/trailers. A teaser like this would lead into a more secretive and subtle full trailer.

Oh I hope this movie turns out at lease a LITTLE like what I visualize in my mind. Lol
Kath713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16 2008, 12:16 PM   #158
Dragon Man
Inactive

Fan of: The Dragonriders of pern
Now Reading: changes frequently

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi View Post
i'm a 14 year old boy
Dragon Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17 2008, 06:30 PM   #159
ghost8772

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath713 View Post
I was thinking about what would make a great teaser trailer for the movie and an image from the Troy trailer came to my mind. When the shot of one ship drew out to reveal hundreds of greek ships heading toward Troy.

I would like to see....

Landscape shot over Pern. Beautiful landscape with mountains and pern vegetation, maybe even a distant flock of wherries. Sky blue and clear.

Then a silvery mist begins to roll in. The audience begins to get glimpses of the silvery threads falling to the ground. Silent. Slight gleam from the sun. Almost pretty. Not seeming to be threatening, just rolling into the pastoral scene.

Then the camera angle lowers, and the threads begin to hit the foliage. Suddenly, the true vicious nature of thread is displayed as threads begin to hiss and eat away at the beauty. The only noise is the horrible hiss of the thread.

((I would imagine those unaware of Pern books may be like "Huh?"))

Then flame fills the screen. Noise like a flame thrower. The thread falls away into ash. You hear another noise, not quiet a growl, not quite a roar, but definitely an animal... and something BIG.....

The camera pulls back to reveal the source of the flame. A dragon, huge and bronze, with only the most fleeing glimpse of his rider....

Until the camera pulls back futher, revealing the true size of the dragon in comparison to its vaguely visible rider, who we can just see making hand gestures, dressed in dark brown riding gear.... just a glimpse....

The dragon flies on. Camera follows, pulling back more, revealing more and more and MORE fighting, flaming dragons, attacking the thread while the Red Star pulses ominously in the background....

Then cut to black.... for a moment.... until the title fades onto the screen....

Dragonflight
Dragonriders of Pern

Again, I think people unfamiliar with Pern will just be like "WTF? That looks kind of cool"

While us true fans begin wetting our pants (not literally, but I know I'm going to be freaking out when the teaser/trailer arrives)

It would give us a look at the dragons without ruining their big reveal in the movie. People will already know there are going to be dragons in the movie, but won't be able to fully realize what the dragons are about until the movie because of the telepathy with riders, etc. There's gotta be some dragons in the teasers/trailers. A teaser like this would lead into a more secretive and subtle full trailer.

Oh I hope this movie turns out at lease a LITTLE like what I visualize in my mind. Lol
Like the imagery, but the dragonriders are supposed to try and keep thread from hitting ground. I figure the teaser would likely follow hollywood equations for drawing maximum crowd. Flashes of action, F'lar and Fax's fight, airborne flaming dragon, Ramoth winging towards the injured blue (could be taken as the big gold dragon attacking the little blue one AGAIN) with lots of adventure music punctuating shifts of scene.
Old Aug 17 2008, 06:39 PM   #160
ghost8772

Quote:
Or Electra, a voluptuous Greek woman with jet hair being played by a scrawny, blonde.
Marvel movies seem to skip being in keeping with the comics they adapt from. The Elektra reference is as bad as Wolverine supposed to be about 5 foot tall (a meter 6) Hugh Jackman doesn't fit that number at all. Though not as big as Kingpin was depicted in every comic title as caucasian. picking at nits is fun and all, but some things can be overlooked if the storyline/action is good. adrenaline overrides cognition.