A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Exhibit Hall > Thematic Photography

Thematic Photography For the posting of photos that fit with a chosen weekly theme.

Old Nov 9 2009, 12:55 PM   #1
Pam
Heptite Guildmaster

Fan of: Lars Dahl
Default 24: 9 November 2009 - Frozen In Time

Isn't there a song about being frozen in time?

Anyway...

Hummingbird

(All I did to that pic was autocorrect, or something like that)

The Crystal Singer Continuum

Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9 2009, 03:12 PM   #2
blondmom989
Inactive

Default Re: 24: 9 November 2009 - Frozen In Time

I'm absolutely fascinated by this topic. Frozen in Time? Any photo is freezing something in time. I have a pic of Pam that I thought of posting. She's standing in the snow, "freezing", in her little pink snowsuit. She's about 5. Then I thought something really old like "the Great Wall", or Pompeii (that was buried not frozen but I think it qualifies). I have some nice clock pictures - time frozen by the camera. I think a clock in a snowstorm would be an outstanding example.

So a piece of whimsy frozen out of time.

Pinecone2 by blondmom989, on Flickr

And something a little more mundane, although the clock is on the Isle of Capri.

Clock, Capri, Italy by blondmom989, on Flickr

Last edited by blondmom989; Nov 6 2010 at 09:21 AM. Reason: photo problem
blondmom989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9 2009, 03:59 PM   #3
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

I find this not an easy subject...

I chose this photo of the cemetery of the Church of the Holy Rude next to Stirling Castle (which we visited with Lanen and Steven):

And this one, taken 32 years ago. These are discarded Roman amphoras, found in the catacombs of the amphitheater of Pula on the Croatian Adriatic coast. It's Roman litter so to speak, the same way you would know look at tin cans thrown away...

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.

Last edited by Hans; Nov 9 2009 at 06:10 PM.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9 2009, 06:06 PM   #4
Brenda

Here's one I took during my internship at Theodore Roosevelt National Park. It is frozen in time because it finally stopped moving long enough for me to snap the picture! I have several blurry photos in which it was NOT frozen in time!
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10 2009, 01:16 AM   #5
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

This was taken in Melbourne and is called "Frozen commuters" - there's 3 of them in a line on the corner of Bourke and Swanston Streets. I used it for a "Where in the World?"

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10 2009, 01:47 AM   #6
r2005
Crafter
Student

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: 1632 Series by Eric Flint

I forget exactly how old this church was, and I foolishly didn't get a close up picture of the plaque. I just remember that it was pretty old, but I find it interesting to see this really old church and in the background, you can see modern buildings. It's one of the charms about Quebec. There's the old city that's filled with buildings that have been there for hundreds of years, but there's a modern world surrounding it.

Old Nov 10 2009, 03:44 AM   #7
Platinum
Inactive

Willow!

A sadly missed Lily

Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10 2009, 09:04 AM   #8
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Sorry about that; there were problems with UK Photobucket this morning. The only way I could upload 1 photo was with the bulk uploader and everytime I asked to edit the thing all I got was a plain white screen.

This belonged to a great-uncle who was an amateur geologist and who dug it out and cleaned it himself.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)

Last edited by P'ter; Nov 12 2009 at 03:11 PM.
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10 2009, 10:09 AM   #9
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Lovely ammonite, Peter.

McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10 2009, 10:31 AM   #10
Hans
Master Archivist

P'ter, could you please bring back the size of your uploaded pictures to manageable proportions. 1600 pixels wide is really too big.

Set your Photobucket to a maximum upload size, please. Or resize the photo before pasting the code?

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Nov 11 2009, 06:53 PM   #11
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Fan of: Skies of Pern: what else?
Now Reading: My computer screen

Hi folks. Lanen and I had a brief interruption to our Internet while we changed broadband provider, but we're back again...

This is a picture of a dripping tap I took as an experiment:

For the other interpretation of "frozen in time", here is a photograph taken during our visit to Orkney earlier in the year. Rather than show one of the usual historical monuments, this is an unusual one. It is a bunch of bronze age stone artifacts that have been placed close to where they were found; inside a bronze age dwelling. It's very unusual to visit a site and find the artifacts still there, instead of being shipped off to a museum. But when the family who own this land found the bronze age house they decided to keep everything so that visitors could investigate and examine them. It's a trusting thing to do, but the artifacts are all still there.
Old Nov 12 2009, 01:57 AM   #12
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

OOooohhh, I love the water tap photo, StevenB. I'll have to experiment myself, except that we're on water restrictions so unsure of proceeding at this time - it'll probably wait until next year, unless we have a storm and I can try it then in the fernery.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12 2009, 04:01 AM   #13
Hans
Master Archivist

Fantastic photo of the droplet, Steven. My tap doesn't drip, maybe I can make it and emulate you
Could you divulge a little more about how you made it? On a burst setting maybe?

Good to hear you are back with hopefully a better and faster connection?

Old Nov 12 2009, 05:45 AM   #14
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

I like the old stone quern.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12 2009, 09:08 AM   #15
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Fan of: Skies of Pern: what else?
Now Reading: My computer screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Could you divulge a little more about how you made it? On a burst setting maybe?
Well, after seeing all the wonderful close-up photographs of flowers and insects that were being posted I decided to get myself a new macro lens. The picture was one of my indoor experiments with the new lens during some bad weather (when no insects or flowers were easily available). I used a fast shutter speed and focussed carefully on the tap. I didn't use a burst setting, but it did take many attempts before I got lucky and managed to photograph the tap in mid drip(*). You're right that a burst setting would have made capturing the image easier, although since it's a flash picture it depends how quickly the flash can recharge. The picture could be improved if I had used rear curtain sync on the flash (so the blur appears behind the drop instead of in front of it) and had arranged to have a more colourful and interesting background refracted in the drop. There are other similar experiments you can try such as:
  • Photographing a drop of water splashing on a surface.
  • Setting the flash to stroboscope mode so there are multiple images of the drop.
(*) P.S. I didn't fire off pictures at random. I watched as the drip grew, and it dropped at roughly regular intervals at the same size, so I tried varying the point at which I pressed the shutter and used the feedback from the digital camera screen. This would have been impossible using a film camera.

By the way Platinum, your hampster pictures look great. Was the jump picture a lucky one or did you have several attempts?

Last edited by StevenB; Nov 12 2009 at 02:02 PM.
StevenB is offline   Reply With Quote