A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café

The Library Café Come in, relax, and get to know the other members of this site. Share your hobbies and interests, along with general news of your life.

Old Sep 29 2012, 04:49 PM   #1
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)
Default Helllloooooo!

I've been away far too long, and really need to find a way to visit here regularly.

Our family had a really busy summer, travelling to Georgia, Vermont, Illinois, and Wisconsin--all by car! Now we're getting settled into the school year, and a variety of afterschool activities (cub scouts, soccer, gymnastics, and hip hop dancing).

Besides the kids I keep busy with photography, and am still working on my 365 project. It's been a lot of fun but I won't be sad when the year is up and I don't have the pressure to find something interesting to photograph every day. As I have time around the daily photography I work on getting my photos in to photobooks.

So what was everyone else up to over the summer?
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29 2012, 10:21 PM   #2
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow
Default Re: Helllloooooo!

Kibby went to 4-H state congress to compete in speach competion. She got a red ribbon.

In laws to her to the beach for the week.

Me I enjoyed Kibby be gone. At least for the couple of day. Then I missed her.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29 2012, 11:27 PM   #3
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Sounds like a good summer! And isn't that always the way with kids (and sometimes spouses as well). At first the peace and quiet is fabulous, and then you miss hubub and company.
Old Sep 30 2012, 01:34 AM   #4
Kugai
Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan

Fan of: Tower and Hive Series
Now Reading: Whatever takes my fancy at the moment

The Mistress of MoM returns

Homepage
FreeBabylon5
FreeBabylon5 Website
Kugai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30 2012, 07:58 AM   #5
Hans
Master Archivist

Summer was hard work for me (t's much tougher now I am the head of the dept.) but was interspersed by very muce holidays to Tuscany in Italy (May) in which we visited all the famous cities (Pisa, Florence, Lucca, Siena etc.) and a more than wonderful holiday in the French departments of Alsace, Borgundy and Champagne. Great food and wines of course and wonderful scenery.
I've been very busy with photography, despite not having a 365 project which I never would finisg, I am sure! I have a great admiration for those who will.
My son now has a steady girlfriend. A very nice and wonderful girl. Son actually turned 24 yesterday!
More later

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30 2012, 07:59 AM   #6
Hans
Master Archivist

Oh, welcome back Cheryl. Yes, so close to the first anniversary of Anne's death it would be nice if the old crowd would be active again on MoM/

I, for one, would hugely enjoy it and find it immensly comforting in addition!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Sep 30 2012, 02:09 PM   #7
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

Well I finished my PhD. At least my thesis is now at the committee and the ceremony is now booked.

I did manage to get some holiday in though. I went to Lanazrote for a week and then I went to visit my parents for a week.
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30 2012, 02:54 PM   #8
Cheryl
Master Archivist

So, does it still have to be approved of by the committee? I understand that's pretty nerve-wracking! But congrats on finishing writing it, that's an impressive feat!

I'd never heard of Lanazrote, but from what I saw googling it, it looks a fantastic place to vacation.
Old Sep 30 2012, 04:52 PM   #9
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

It has to go to the committee for checking. Then I make corrections and then I have to defend it for an hour to the committee in public.

It was nice. Stu's Mum lives there so we went for a visit.
Old Sep 30 2012, 05:53 PM   #10
Hans
Master Archivist

Congrats, Edi! That is wonderful news. Does it also mean that you will leave the country after getting it or will you continue doing research at Delft?

Any chane of being invited if the ceremony is in The Netherlands?

Old Oct 1 2012, 05:06 PM   #11
Kater
Menetteth's Rider
Weyrling

Fan of: Pern, Tower, and Pegasus
Now Reading: Watchers by Dean Koontz

Didn't do much over the summer. Just got myself geared up for this fall semester at school!! I did get a week in Mass to visit Cape Cod.

Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore
Kater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1 2012, 07:42 PM   #12
kevia
Ballybran Resident

Tuner

Fan of: Nimisha's Ship
Now Reading: Crystal Line

Well, my summer has been somewhat busy. We went to Tennessee in July and brought back this:

We spent a lot of time doing little things to it to get it ready, like adding insulation to the underbelly to help the pipes not freeze in the winter, and then last week we moved into it. Dh is scheduled to retire in March and we will start traveling.
Old Oct 2 2012, 12:56 PM   #13
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Congrats, Edi! That is wonderful news. Does it also mean that you will leave the country after getting it or will you continue doing research at Delft?

Any chane of being invited if the ceremony is in The Netherlands?
I'm sticking around for a bit longer as I'm involved in a new project.

Of course! It'll be in December though. I'll even send you a copy of my thesis when it's printed, if you like.
Old Oct 2 2012, 01:55 PM   #14
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by edith View Post
I'm sticking around for a bit longer as I'm involved in a new project.

Of course! It'll be in December though. I'll even send you a copy of my thesis when it's printed, if you like.
That would be great, Edi, even if it was only as a keepsake and that I could show it to my grandchildren, telling them that I knew that famous scientist when she was young

December is busy yes, but if I may and can attend I will.

Old Oct 2 2012, 01:56 PM   #15
Hans
Master Archivist

Kevia, that looks positively huge and wonderful. You would probably not enjoy driving that monster through Europe but for your country it is perfect! Congrats on a great purchase.

Old Oct 2 2012, 02:36 PM   #16
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevia View Post
Well, my summer has been somewhat busy. We went to Tennessee in July and brought back this:

We spent a lot of time doing little things to it to get it ready, like adding insulation to the underbelly to help the pipes not freeze in the winter, and then last week we moved into it. Dh is scheduled to retire in March and we will start traveling.
Wow Kevia, it looks enormous! Here you'd need a truck driving license to use it, and it would be practically impossible to park anywhere, including caravan parks...

Congrats on handing in your thesis, Edith! My sister did the same with hers in September, and she's also waiting for comments from her committee.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2 2012, 07:38 PM   #17
kevia
Ballybran Resident

Tuner

Fan of: Nimisha's Ship
Now Reading: Crystal Line

One of the benefits of living in such a big, sprawling country, lol. It is big. The RV is almost 40 ft long. But it is also our home, so that isn't terribly big. Still, it's enough, and the tradeoff of being able to take our home all over the country is worth it.
Old Oct 7 2012, 02:39 PM   #18
Nina
Talent

Finder

Fan of: The Talent series
Now Reading: almost a book a day

Summer, huh? When was that?

Summer seems so long ago - so much has happened!

Before the holidays my son finished High School

After the holidays my son started at the university at his dream study: BioChemistry

I myself have been working hard with a lot of big projects which were not really my job, but having taken the responsibility and finished every one of them with a good result - it earned me bonus. Bonus in my line of work is hardly ever heard off, so I was both astonished and happy for the appreciation

During the summer we had lots of family parties to attend - no time for holiday.

My niece celebrated her 25th birthday, buying a brand new car, being pregnant expecting a boy, graduating as a physiotherapist, getting a job even though pregnant and life of course

We celebrated my son's High School graduation - for a long time

My SIL and her husband celebrated their 25th wedding anniversary with a great party taking us back to the 70'ies. We wrote them a song and made a speech.

Now I am looking forward to celebrating my 10 years on my present job, and of course my 50th birthday.

I am thinking of Anne's books all the time now, since I have bought the dragon lock and bracelet (see another thread). I wear the dragon bracelet every day

The Rowan is my favourite!

"The name rowan is believed to derive from the Norse runa - "a charm". It was often planted outside houses to ward off witches. On May Day a spray of rowan leaves was hung over doors to repel evil, and wells dressed with rowan to keep witches away. The rowan, or mountain ash, is found commonly in Scotland, sometimes clinging to a rock face."
Nina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7 2012, 03:03 PM   #19
Hans
Master Archivist

Good to hear from you, Nina! And congratulations on your sons graduation and other happy family festivities and business accomplishments.

Old Oct 8 2012, 11:35 PM   #20
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Fan of: Crystal Singer series
Now Reading: Spirit Dances by CE Murphy

Congradulations all around to everyone.

My summer was spent teaching summer school, dealing with ds#2 medical procedure plus a broken elbow which healed beautifully but he is still in physical therapy for it and looking for a condo which we found but thankfully it will take awhile for the purchase to finish which just may give me enough time to pack.
We are back to school. Ds#1 is a freshman and running cross-country. Ds#2 is preparing for a winter break spent in the hospital or recovering. He'll have a second botox treatment for his stomach then once recovered go in for 5 days to have a feeding tube inserted. Even with his ability to eat without vomiting, he is not able to eat enough to grow so the feeding tube. Good news it is temporary. Once he is finish growing it is out and he'll never have to diet to stay thin. You have to look on the positive side.
Hopefully next summer, the boys and I will be able to travel a little and visit some friends.
Old Oct 9 2012, 02:26 AM   #21
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Nice to hear from you Nina. It sounds like you had a good summer.

Moonlady: your life sounds busy
Old Oct 9 2012, 10:23 AM   #22
Hans
Master Archivist

Calling Moonlady's life busy might just be the understatement of the year...

Old Oct 9 2012, 11:29 PM   #23
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Calling Moonlady's life busy might just be the understatement of the year...
Thanks Hans. I needed the

We had a bomb scare at my school yesterday. Thankfully, it was a false report but we (my student, I, the whole school) spent three plus hours on our football field while the school was checked and cleared. It has left me exhausted. As a fellow teacher said, "I don't know why I'm so tired from yesterday. We are standing all day long teaching but yesterday exhausted me."
Old Oct 10 2012, 08:15 AM   #24
Nefermiw
Ballybran Resident

Caterer's Assistant

Fan of: The Crystal Singer series
Now Reading: anything on my eReader

I haven't really been around here either (again), but really should make more of an effort to pop by every once in a while.

Daughter turned 1 year old 13th of September which meant that she is now old enough to go to preschool which makes my life so much easier. Here in Sweden they won't take children before they are 1 year old and most children are actually 1.5 when they begin at a daycare centre.

I have been looking for a job to start at for when my maternity leave ended, but didn't get any of the two I had applied for, so am now going with my back-up plan which was to study a long distance education for CNC-tecnician. This leaves me also a lot more flexible for being a mum, so it's all good.
Nefermiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10 2012, 05:16 PM   #25
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Well it sure looks like it’s a great time for me to coming home to MoM as well…
I’ve been gone way to long too. I’ve missed all my friends here so much…but life has been so incredibly hectic here in this last year…our GIRLS finally were able to moved back home to California after 6 years.. I can’t tell you all how wonderful it is to have our Daughter, her husband and family here near us again.
Our Grand-daughters are both in High School now…UGG…teenagers, Lord !!!! But they are incredibly beautiful and smart, just like their Mother is…if I don’t say so myself and I proudly do… often!!
As for me and Martin, we have spent most of the summer getting some much needed things done on our home, plus inclosing our carport and turning it into a finished garage, as well as building an indoor workshop space for all of our smaller projects. We have also taken… somewhat… regular weekend trips to the beach…as those of you who know us, we’ll remember we love doing…if only to relax from all the hard work we were doing the rest of the time.

I have loved reading through this thread…reading all about what so many of you, I have called friends, have been up to lately…

Cheryl...We have both thought of you so often…although we have been able to see on occasion, how the kids have been growing…Lord like weeds. Dear friend…you are so blessed!!! Can’t wait to see some more of your amazing *365* photos.

Maw…congrats to Kibby, with the 4H win She is a teenager, so some time off is always a welcome thing for Moms…but like you said good when their back…been there done that...Lord... lately again too!!!

Hans…dear friend… Looks like you might be getting at least part of your wish come true, for some of the old crowd to show up again here on Mom. Congrats with the promotion, don’t work to hard….but no need to read here what you and Marjon have been up to, trip and family wise…already knew it and saw it…what beautiful places you two manage to find and incredible photos you’ve been taking of them.

Edith…how proud of you, your family must be. Good Luck, but as smart as you are I don’t think you’ll need much of it.

Kater…I hope your school year goes well…say how’s your funny bone doing…still thinking up your great jokes…or has school slowed you down some?

Kevia…WOWOWOW…we had one of those rigs for about ten years, went to the beach in it as often as possible…have a great time in yours too.

Granath…but you didn’t say what you’ve been doing lately…or how you and yours are doing...well I hope?

Nina…glad to see you back here again as well…and so happy and busy sounding with your life too. I can’t think about Copenhagen without thinking about meeting you and your family…what a day that was!

Moonlady…I have to agree with Hans…you need a break…a HUGE break and a nice rest. Glad to hear that you moving into a new condo…Good Luck, and hope you get to go visiting friends soon. BOMB scare…LORD…your life needs to be made into a TV drama show…make tons of money and then retire!!!!

Nef…The baby is already a year old…time really does fly when you’re enjoying life…enjoy all you can of your daughter now, before you know it she will be all grown up and having children of her own. So happy to see you back here again too. Thought about you, when we went to the Zoo…knowing you would have loved it. Good Luck with your studies.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10 2012, 10:36 PM   #26
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Maelin!

*tacklehugs*

Ooops, sorry, didn't mean to bruise you! It's just fantastic to see you again!
Old Oct 10 2012, 10:37 PM   #27
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Thanks Lady Maelin. Would you like to write it and will share in the profit?

Enjoy your family which I'm glad to read you are doing. I'm glad they were able to move back to CA.

It is so true about how fast they grow. I have two teenage boys now.
Old Oct 11 2012, 09:49 AM   #28
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl View Post
Maelin!

*tacklehugs*

Ooops, sorry, didn't mean to bruise you! It's just fantastic to see you again!
Careful with Maelin, Master Sariel!

Old Oct 11 2012, 02:14 PM   #29
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Welcome back Maelin!
Old Oct 11 2012, 11:08 PM   #30
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Dang...so that's why I've felt kinda bruised today...Cheryl and her trademark *TackleHugs*...I'd be so very happy to have another one of them in person again dearheart...

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Oct 11 2012, 11:10 PM   #31
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Edith and Moonlady...thank you, I am so happy to see you both still here...it's really starting to look and feel like *ole home week*

Old Oct 12 2012, 02:00 PM   #32
Nina
Talent

Finder

Fan of: The Talent series
Now Reading: almost a book a day

soo good to be back and seeing familiar names

The Rowan is my favourite!

"The name rowan is believed to derive from the Norse runa - "a charm". It was often planted outside houses to ward off witches. On May Day a spray of rowan leaves was hung over doors to repel evil, and wells dressed with rowan to keep witches away. The rowan, or mountain ash, is found commonly in Scotland, sometimes clinging to a rock face."
Nina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12 2012, 02:05 PM   #33
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Glad you have returned, Lady Maelin

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

Old Oct 12 2012, 05:28 PM   #34
Kugai
Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan

Fan of: Tower and Hive Series
Now Reading: Whatever takes my fancy at the moment

hello at LM

Homepage
FreeBabylon5
FreeBabylon5 Website
Kugai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13 2012, 12:26 AM   #35
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Yes LM, it is good to see ol' friends and know they are just a keyboard away.

Now, to be able to visit in person again.
Old Oct 13 2012, 04:49 AM   #36
Kat
Journeywoman archivist

Fan of: DRoP
Now Reading: Sky Dragons

Welcome home Lady M!!
Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13 2012, 10:41 PM   #37
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

pet loving Maw...
our crazy *shake-rattle and roll* New Zeelander Kugai...
and lovely Kat...

I am sooo HAPPY to be back with all my wonderful, interesting diverse friends here on MoM...no place like it....anywhere!!!!

Old Oct 14 2012, 02:31 PM   #38
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Welcome Back Lady M.

Didn't do too much this summer, nice RV kevia, reminds me of my father RV.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14 2012, 03:03 PM   #39
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post

I am sooo HAPPY to be back with all my wonderful, interesting diverse friends here on MoM...no place like it....anywhere!!!!
So true, LM which is why we still come back here even with facebook and email.
Old Oct 14 2012, 03:41 PM   #40
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

kevia, if you make out my way, Lynchburg Va, let me know. Maybe we can get together. There are a couple of must see. Appomattox being one.

Fairy Stone State park is good as well. It is two hours from here. They have rocks cross shaped rock. The tale is they are tears cried by fairies when they heard of Jesus's deth.

The D Day Memerial is in Bedford. We have not been there yet.