A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Dec 4 2004, 08:41 PM   #1
ghyle
Hrruban
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Fan of: Pern & Freedom
Now Reading: The Umbrella Club / David Brooks
Default Literary forms

We know that the main literary form is the lyric (as text for songs, not genre of verse), judging by its emphasis in the books, but what is the likelihood of other literary forms surviving on Pern?

How likely is, for example, drama, even if lost; such could arise from the use of multi-singer recitations, with actions married to sung words, for example?

How likely is oratory, as a technique for harpers, and an aid in persuasion?

I'd like to know what you think.
ghyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4 2004, 10:38 PM   #2
AnnMarie
Dragonrider
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose
Default Re: Literary forms

I'd say Oratory survived. The Harpers, after all, were the "representatives" for people in cases before the Holders and the law.
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5 2004, 12:36 AM   #3
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

I'd agree that oratory survived, but not all Harpers probably practiced it - some really only had musical skills, while others were broader.

I feel like Anne has said somewhere that drama survived, prolly in the form of travelling troupes (perhaps tagging along w/ some trader caravans). Winters must get pretty boring, so I'd imagine that even local talent would suffice for dramatic entertainment now and then.

I rather doubt that books/fiction was around though - no one would have time or the materials for writing them. Short stories, perhaps illustrated, might be around though, mostly for entertaining kids perhaps....
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5 2004, 12:52 AM   #4
ghyle
Hrruban
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Would there be something akin o the medieval exempla? These were volumes of short tales, usually with a moral, for entertainment and learning. Thus a book of traditional and new tales could circulate in the harpers' hall, and harpers learn tales from it to teach and entertain, especially the kids.

I read somewher... can't think where now... that the harpers told tales for amusement, in relation to winter.
Old Dec 5 2004, 02:18 AM   #5
SecretFantasy85
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghyle
--SNIP--
I read somewher... can't think where now... that the harpers told tales for amusement, in relation to winter.
probably in MHoP...and I think I also saw somewhere that there were some form of clowning, which could also be scripted. But I'd think deffinately something akin to the Mother Goose tales went around, or things like 'The Boy Who Cried Wolf' and 'Little Red Riding Hood' were told by harpers for kids.
SecretFantasy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5 2004, 03:09 AM   #6
ghyle
Hrruban
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Yes, I think it was in MHoP that there was a scene with a magician, with tricks involving a tunnelsnake and a small dog.