A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café > Café Archives

Old Oct 18 2005, 05:32 PM   #1
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman
Default cold callers

I had a cold call at 4ish.
My mobile rang and I answered it even if it said witheld number (last witheld number was work asking if I wanted to go to christmas party).
there was a call centre woman on the other end asking if I wanted to change my mobile policy to theirs (would like to name it but I don't know what Cheryl would say)
as she spoke I said no thanks I didn't want to change as I was happy with my current policy.
She said she hadn't said anything yet.
I said I didn't want to change.
She said that I was very rude and hung up!

Me rude? What about her?

AND archery was cancelled-mumps apparently! that makes 1 out of 3 so far!
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18 2005, 06:01 PM   #2
Lily

Default Re: cold callers

Wow! I thought those guys had to be polite regardless
Also, that they should not be the first to hang up
Old Oct 18 2005, 06:29 PM   #3
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

You're free to name the company Edith.

Being rude to a hoped-for customer is a very odd sales technique!
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18 2005, 07:01 PM   #4
ghyle
Hrruban
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Fan of: Pern & Freedom
Now Reading: The Umbrella Club / David Brooks

I keep getting idiots who keep pesetering me even when I tell them I'm not interested, agaian and again and again.

And some people won't take an eventual "F*** off!" for an answer, I'm afraid!
ghyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19 2005, 04:05 AM   #5
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

the company was 3 mobiles- a network that doesn't cover where I live!
oh and by the look of the automated email aren't interested if you're nota customer!
Lily-I thought they were meant to be polite, most are if you tell them straight off that you're not interested!
Old Oct 19 2005, 07:31 AM   #6
Shani
Inactive

Goodness how very rude, ok you aren't interested which is one thing. Now you will tell all your friends and family about the very rude call you got from this person making it unlikely they will deal with this company either...
Not very bright that lot...
Shani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19 2005, 07:49 AM   #7
AnnMarie
Dragonrider
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

3 Mobiles.....Will have to keep that in mind, and spead the word. (Don't you love word of mouth? Can make or break a company!)
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19 2005, 08:05 AM   #8
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

So will I- well I told someone who'll probably spread it!
gotta phone up orange to see how 3 got my number now!
most likely I forgot to tick the box on one of these forms you have to fill out when you fill in questionaires or register new programs etc!
Old Oct 19 2005, 12:05 PM   #9
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

Luckily here companies have to have an opt-in box to tick. Those telesales people can be really annoying. You should try and contact their call-center if you can, and complain of your treatment. And tell them that you're spreading the word to make sure none of your friends sign up either.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19 2005, 12:43 PM   #10
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

most of the time here now its opt-in but there's still a lot of opt out versions.
I tried contacting 3-not much luck.
Old Oct 19 2005, 03:46 PM   #11
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

::shakes head;: Good grief. At least the last one I dealt with was only annoying - apparently he didn't know the meaning of the word No. In several languages...

I don't answer if my caller ID says Unavailable or lists a 1-800 number. See how they like THAT! Certainly not going to get out of bed for them...

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20 2005, 10:38 AM   #12
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

Fan of: the Dragonriders of Pern!
Now Reading: The Elder Gods - Eddings

I have got calls like that before. I just "I'm not interested, thank you" and hang up.

"When a harper is silenced, all men should listen harder." AtWoP
c_ris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20 2005, 06:58 PM   #13
ghyle
Hrruban
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

I've been receiving several--three so far--from the same company. They all start the same, mentioning who they are, and asking whether my phone bills are above, or below, sixty bucks. Last two times I lied, said no, and they hung up. The first time I didn't, and couldn't get rid of the bugger.

Thing is, I still feel guilty about lying to them, in order to get some peace....
Old Oct 21 2005, 02:45 AM   #14
Kesal
Inactive

We get alot of them here...particularly from call centres based in India. If you want to opt out of having a company call you, you have to contact each company yourself. So opting out from having one company call you wont stop another.
They generally call at times when I'm not home, unless it's a Saturday. While I was waiting for the McCaffrey Quest questions to come up a couple of weeks ago I received no less than 7 calls for surveys, sales or charities asking for money.
I've had someone from one charity say to me "I hardly think someone who lives in YOUR area could not afford to donate $20 to a charity." I told her that not all people in my area were rich, I am a public servant and pay rent. And that I receive up to 10 calls a week either being asked to buy or sell raffle tickets and/or make donations to charities, on op of being solicited in the street. I also told her I would never make a charity donation over the phone for security reasons, and that if I could afford it, I'd rather research the charities working in the fields I would like to support and approach them.
Just as I prefer to do my own research when deciding on a telecommunications deal etc.
Usually my fiance gets most of these calls. Many of the charities use the tactic of talking to him, and telling him I have sold tickets for them before. So he agrees to have them sent. Usually, I have bought a single ticket and sent the rest of the book back because noone where I work is interested.

Somehow, one company knew that my monthly bill was generally a certain amount. I was very angry about this - they were able to quote exact amounts! Unfortunately for them, they didn't realise that the amount also included my pay tv bill...and that those bills probably only included 1 or 2 local calls a month. they were very astounded to find out that most of their data was wrong since it wasn't necessarily just a person's phone costs on the bill.

We generally leave the phone unplugged unless we're expecting a call. Our families know to call our mobiles.
Kesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21 2005, 04:12 AM   #15
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Are you sure you can't get something to stop them, I'm sure my parents do here!

It sounds like a stupid amount of calls!

We get indian call centres here too, the people seem to be really nice though they never get my Mum's name right!
"Hello! Are you Mrs Rogg-ers?"
to which my reply is that I'm not and she's busy!

Do you get the ones when they ring up a group of people at once and put the 1st one to answer the phne through?
Old Oct 21 2005, 09:22 AM   #16
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

I'm so glad the US started a national Do Not Call list, because we've gotten very very few sales calls since that went into effect over a year ago. It doesn't block charity calls, but does sales calls unless you've "established a relationship" with a company.

We also can always say on any particular call that we wish to be put on the company's Do Not Call list and they have to comply. You can tell there's a protocol they have to follow when someone asks that, as they immediately stop the sales pitch and tell you how long it will take for that request to be processed (often 6 weeks, which I think is pretty ridiculous, but it's better than staying on the list!).

I've never had a charity argue with me about my ability to give, and that'd be a sure-fire way to tick me off and get me to never ever give to them.

I used to be very polite and wait for my chance to say I wasn't interested, and repeat that if necessary and wait for the caller to end the call. I'm still not rude, but I've realized it's silly to be guilty about ending an unwanted call, so (before the national do not call list started), I would wait briefly for a chance to say I wasn't interested and would then cut in if I didn't get; wait for some sort of acknowledgement and see if they would accept it and hang up, but if they launched back into a spiel I would simply hang up. There's no reason to waste my time (or theirs on a fruitless call), and no reason to feel guilty for hanging up!
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21 2005, 11:00 AM   #17
Kater
Menetteth's Rider
Weyrling

Fan of: Pern, Tower, and Pegasus
Now Reading: Watchers by Dean Koontz

Usually I wait to see how they pronounce my last name (Roshon) and go from there. If they butcher it real badly I say they're not home and may I take a message!! Most of the charities I give to are understanding that I haven't been in work for a couple of years and am a full time student. I tell them that if they can call me back next year I should be able to give. Only had one get rude and hang up on me.

Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore

Last edited by Kater; Oct 22 2005 at 01:30 PM.
Kater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21 2005, 03:45 PM   #18
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

7? Ouch. I think we only get about 1 a day, usually in the morning.
The ones I got at school tended to be the 'free credit card' variety, taking advantage of students, rather than charities.

Tresa

Old Oct 22 2005, 08:19 PM   #19
Shazza
Inactive

Wish they would bring in the "Do not call" lists here. In one day recently I got 3 telemarketers and one door to door girl. The door to door girl was the final one of the day and I just looked at her and said "not interested". She stared at me and started to tell me about saving money and I looked her in the eye and said "I've had 3 telemarketers today and I have had enough. I just don't CARE." She kinda skulked away. Not my finest moment but there just comes a point where enough is enough.
Shazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22 2005, 11:19 PM   #20
Cherlyn
Crafter

Fan of: P.E.R.N.
Now Reading: 'Winds of Fate'by Mercedes Lackey

Dad had a call the other day from the American Cancer Society asking for Mrs. Ridley to collect donations in the neighborhood and he informed them she had passed away in 2000 from breast cancer and they never helped her because no cancer clinic would help her since she was bedridden and unable to care for herself due to MS.
I also hate it when I order something over the phone for dad (he has only one good ear and usually can't hear them and he has little patience with anyone over the phone) I always have to decline applications for credit cards, magazines, cost reduction clubs where you pay a monthly fee, and other litlle goodies to run up the bill.

If they don't take 'NO' for an answer, blow a whistle in the receiver! It also works for those who ring up your phone and then just breathe and don't say anything!
Cherlyn (Cheryl #2 - "The Okie One") aka The Cheesaholic, Chocoholic Packrat and seeker of anti-ques and junque...
Click:. . .F.R.O.G. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .@<. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
"I just got back from the hospital. I had a speed reading accident; I hit a bookmark." ~ Unknown
Cherlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23 2005, 03:24 AM   #21
ghyle
Hrruban
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Another tip for heavy breathers: hand the phone to your talking parrot. Hours of fun. Especially if it says, "Give me a kiss."
Old Oct 23 2005, 04:25 AM   #22
AnnMarie
Dragonrider
Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghyle
Another tip for heavy breathers: hand the phone to your talking parrot. Hours of fun. Especially if it says, "Give me a kiss."
Nope, my favorite for obscene callers or repete offenders....an air horn. You know, those canned air things they use at high school soccer games? Then you can tell the police to check anyone who appears temporarily deaf.
Old Oct 23 2005, 03:52 PM   #23
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Wonder how that last sort would react to a police-siren whistle in the phone! ROFLOL. I can do a pretty good imitation... <EG>

Old Oct 23 2005, 08:24 PM   #24
Kugai
Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan

Fan of: Tower and Hive Series
Now Reading: Whatever takes my fancy at the moment

Being a former Telemarketer, and Team Supervisor, I can yell you if I had heard of one of my Team doing that, I certainly would have 'Talked' to them about it! Such things were something I, as a good Supervisor would not tolerate!!

Homepage
FreeBabylon5
FreeBabylon5 Website
Kugai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24 2005, 02:24 AM   #25
Shazza
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnMarie
Nope, my favorite for obscene callers or repete offenders....an air horn. You know, those canned air things they use at high school soccer games? Then you can tell the police to check anyone who appears temporarily deaf.

One day after a particularly long session of obscene phonecalls I got desperate. No whistle or anything else like that I spotted the smoke detector. They have test buttons. :devil:
Shazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24 2005, 06:10 AM   #26
AnnMarie
Dragonrider
Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazza
One day after a particularly long session of obscene phonecalls I got desperate. No whistle or anything else like that I spotted the smoke detector. They have test buttons. :devil:
Oh yes! That works!

We are such nasty people when angered, aren't we?
Old Oct 24 2005, 12:07 PM   #27
Kater
Menetteth's Rider
Weyrling

My sister used to blow as hard as she could her flute and make a horrible skreetch! My father's way of dealing with heavy breathers was to breath right back at them. One guy laughed so hard he couldn't hang up the phone!!

Old Oct 25 2005, 11:34 AM   #28
Elisabetha
Inactive

Reading all this makes me glad I have a mobile phone and no other. I have so far not gotten any of those calls on my mobile. We do get a lot of door by door people here. Usually with the most unusable things you can imagine. If they won't take no for an answer, I just close the door.

Elisabetha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25 2005, 04:31 PM   #29
Lily

They havent started on mobile phones have they!!

We dont even have a directory for mobile phone numbers in New Zealand
So many of them are owned by kids cant see that being worth while for telemarketers/cold callers
Old Oct 25 2005, 04:39 PM   #30
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

the 3 call was only the 2nd one I've had in 5 years of owning a mobile phone on my own. the other one wasfrom my network asking v politely if i had considered a contract phone (not totally useless tho i'm still on pay as u go as it gives me an idea on how much a week it cost!)
Old Oct 25 2005, 06:25 PM   #31
Kesal
Inactive

I get SMS from my mobile phone company about special deals etc, they'll even SMS rather than call if you're late paying your bill!

I'd rather the SMS than the call, because if you're around people at the time it isn't as embarrassing as having to explain in other people's hearing why you haven't paid. (I have several services with one phone co - used to get one bill with all the services on it, but for a while now they seperated the internet billing from everything else...I tend to forget which one I've paid and pay one but not the other...wish they'd change it back to a single bill!)
Old Oct 26 2005, 04:11 AM   #32
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

can you ask to do that again? or use something like direct debit?

oooh had an email from 3...

v sorry, but we don't call people ourselves we use an outside call centre. please call the call centre! (how?)

at least they replied!
Old Oct 26 2005, 05:22 AM   #33
Kesal
Inactive

I have asked, but it's something to do with a new computer system. Things is, the bills look the same!

I thought about the direct debit, but my partner doesn't always put his share for the bills in at the right time, so there's not always enough for a direct debit. We can do it with the smaller bills, but not the bigger ones.
Old Oct 26 2005, 09:30 AM   #34
Kater
Menetteth's Rider
Weyrling

When a neighbor of mine used to get people at her door who wouldn't go away or she didn't want to deal with she would very politely say, "I'm sorry but we have hard wood floors." and then close the door on them. You could see them stand there for a minute looking very and then they would walk away.

Old Oct 26 2005, 02:27 PM   #35
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

ooh... that reminds me of something I heard once.
I went with my gran to pick my great gran (Nain (welsh for granny)) up from a friends house (this is a few years back as Nain died when I ws in year 11 ish) and this friend said that when she got telemarketing calls she used to say that she was going to ask her husband...

then went and made a cup of tea!
Old Oct 26 2005, 03:36 PM   #36
Elisabetha
Inactive

LOL Edith, I like that one

Elisabetha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26 2005, 05:23 PM   #37
ghyle
Hrruban
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Should I try the same tack for nuisance calls?--"I'm sorry, I'll have to ask my husband. I'll ring back." Then hang up....
Old Oct 26 2005, 06:18 PM   #38
Kater
Menetteth's Rider
Weyrling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghyle
Should I try the same tack for nuisance calls?--"I'm sorry, I'll have to ask my husband. I'll ring back." Then hang up....
It would certianly give them something to think about ghyle!!

Old Oct 28 2005, 09:22 PM   #39
geishagirl
Inactive

I hate those people who call you up and you keep asking "what?? What??"
Because they have these horrendous accents only come to find out they are telemarketers. What a waste of breath!
geishagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28 2005, 11:20 PM   #40
ghyle
Hrruban
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

In which case, Geisha, you could always reply (in an impeccable accent) "I'm sorry, but I do not speak a word of English. Good day!" then hang up.

I got one, again for a phone company, and I hung up on them, yesterday.