A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old Jun 18 2007, 08:13 PM   #1
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !
Default The New York Review of Science Fiction

I found this a few weeks ago then I lost it in the book case today I refound it ...it has a tiny article in it that Anne wrote, about her writing...with a lovely dedication at the end of it. I hope that it all shows up well enough... so you can all read and enjoy it...

It didn't look like you could see it well enough to read it soooo...faithfully re-typed...

QUOTE[ Anne McCaffrey...My Favorite Story

Writer are always being asked why they wrote a particular stoy. Most of the time we may not have an obvious reason. I had to find out why I wrote "The Ship Who Sang," first published in Fantasy and Science Fiction in April 1961. But it is, and probably always will be, my favortite.
It has flaws and certainly, with mearly 30 years of publishing behind me now, I would bring stronger skills to its writing now, but then, those skills would not improve the underlying force of the yarn. Why? Because I felt the story so deeply and so keenly, with all the passion of a deep and festering grief, that that grief can still hit an unwary reader (including me) with the same force that it carried when it was first written.
Oddly enough, "Ship" was hand-written, and then typed out. I distinctly remember I was sitting in my bed (safe from my kids for the moment) as I wrote the final few pages. I had tears dripping down my cheecks onto the paper as I killed off my hero "as black space echoed back the song the ship sang." But I knew it was dramatically correct, and effective. I did not realize as I wronte that I was trying to assauage my grief over my father's death. I still am. And every time I read that story aloud, anytime a reader is moved by that last poignant phrase, the story notches up another tribute to my father.
In those early 60's, science fiction was not supposed to be emotional or emotive. There were very few stong women characters and certainly the notion of cyborges was still new and realatively unexplored. So "The Ship Who Sang"/Helva had more impact then than perhaps she does now. Yet, to judge by the fact that it is my most frequently reprinted story, appearing in secondary school texts and many anthologies, the story can obcviously still grab its audience. "The Ship WHo Sang" remains the story I am proudest of writing. Here's to you, Dad!]END QUOTE

I hope that this is all ok and leagal(HI Cheryl )...but since you all know that this is also my most favorite story of Anne's...I had to let you all read it, in the hopes that any of you members that haven't read it...will possibly give it a read...in tribute to Anne and her father.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18 2007, 09:06 PM   #2
Sandi

Default Re: The New York Review of Science Fiction

Thanks so much for sharing that! I think most of us knew she wrote that story while dealing with the loss of her father but to read that article in her words makes it so much more poignant. It made me feel sort of misty-eyed myself.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18 2007, 11:37 PM   #3
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

I agree whole heartedly with Sandi! :goes in search of a copy of this for myself!:
Old Jun 19 2007, 12:24 AM   #4
Becky
Coelura

Whew! Found it, bought it! Can't wait to get it!!!
Old Jun 19 2007, 12:31 AM   #5
Sandi

Wow Becky, that was fast!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19 2007, 12:35 AM   #6
Becky
Coelura

Yep, Sandi, gotta grab 'em when you find 'em!

And thanks to Lady Maelin for the info on this. Something that I didn't have and can't wait to read over. (even tho you did a wonderful job Maelin, but to me there's nothing like reading the original)
Old Jun 19 2007, 03:33 AM   #7
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Thanks Maelin!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19 2007, 03:42 PM   #8
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

*Looks forward to reading fully when she's not currently in a car trying to read the forum on a laptop bouncing around on her lap as hubby drives over the Appalachians*
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19 2007, 07:02 PM   #9
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Cheryl

Hans, This is the one I have been trying to find on my desk, to show you...arrggghhh!!! Finally found it..

Becky,Yes indeed, it is the best to read it off of your own copy...

Sandi, this was such a treat for me to find and get to read...and it makes all my "Sip books sing with pride and that is getting to be a very lovely chorus indeed.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote