A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Beyond Anne McCaffrey

Beyond Anne McCaffrey We know Anne's not the only author you read and enjoy. Come here to discuss and discover authors beyond Anne!

Old Nov 30 2009, 09:57 AM   #1
cwett
Dragonrider

Fan of: The Rowan
Now Reading: The Renegades of Pern
Thumbs up Jacqueline Carey

Has anyone else read Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel series?

It is a bit dark but I think she is great! What a wonderful world she has painted and I absolutely enjoyed the Character Development and the political aspects of the series. She doesn't really have a huge emphasis on magic, but its strewn throughout it. Though I will say it will only appeal to a select few tastes!

Kushiel's Dart is the first book... here is the description:

The land of Terre d'Ange is a place of unsurpassing beauty and grace. It is said that angels found the land and saw it was good...and the ensuing race that rose from the seed of angels and men live by one simple rule: Love as thou wilt. Phèdre nó Delaunay is a young woman who was born with a scarlet mote in her left eye. Sold into indentured servitude as a child, her bond is purchased by Anafiel Delaunay, a nobleman with very a special mission...and the first one to recognize who and what she is: one pricked by Kushiel's Dart, chosen to forever experience pain and pleasure as one. Phèdre is trained equally in the courtly arts and the talents of the bedchamber, but, above all, the ability to observe, remember, and analyze. Almost as talented a spy as she is courtesan, Phèdre stumbles upon a plot that threatens the very foundations of her homeland. Treachery sets her on her path; love and honor goad her further. And in the doing, it will take her to the edge of despair...and beyond. Hateful friend, loving enemy, beloved assassin; they can all wear the same glittering mask in this world, and Phèdre will get but one chance to save all that she holds dear. Set in a world of cunning poets, deadly courtiers, heroic traitors, and a truly Machiavellian villainess, this is a novel of grandeur, luxuriance, sacrifice, betrayal, and deeply laid conspiracies. Not since Dune has there been an epic on the scale of Kushiel's Dart -a massive tale about the violent death of an old age, and the birth of a new.
cwett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17 2009, 06:35 PM   #2
DragonDance
Inactive

Default Re: Jacqueline Carey

I own the first 6 and have read the latest hardcover. She writes in a over-wrought, purple language, but I love it because it is consistent---not just for sexy scenes---and it FITS both the character and the context of the story. There's pretty good development and while I hated the repetitious way the villainess was handled in Chosen and Avatar, I feel there is some rich world-building, character development, and style.

I love the subtle magic of the first 4 books....it starts to get less and less subtle as Imriel's story continues, and he's kinda the angsty teen archetype which many find annoying, but I can't give praises enough for the original trilogy.
DragonDance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22 2009, 06:04 AM   #3
Pezz
Inactive

Fan of: Menolly!
Now Reading: Sabriel!!

I LOVED kushiel's dart, and I think I made it halfway thru the second one? I might've made it into the third one, I can't remember which it was but I know I must've gotten tired of it or something. When I left off she was in some sort of Venice-type city.
Pezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14 2010, 01:32 PM   #4
DragonBuddy
Linyaari

Fan of: CS, Freedom, and Pern
Now Reading: Black Horses for the King

I like this series too! I am currently selling a copy of Kushiel's Dart Advanced Uncorrected Proof on ebay, if anyone wants to take a look (Item number is 290390791968). I was lucky enough to come across it at a used book store, but decided to clean out my book shelves, and since I don't think I'll reread it, I decided to sell it.

When I get a little money, I buy books; and if any is left over, I buy food and clothes.~Desiderius Erasmus
DragonBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote