A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jun 24 2008, 01:14 PM   #1
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !
Default Sorka's Eye color

HELP.....I need to know rather quickly, what the color of Sorka's eyes are...and I would appriciate any and all help that I can get...thank you.

If it isn't mentioned in the books...and so far I haven't been able to find it...I will take a consensus of what most of us think her eye color is and call it good.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24 2008, 02:03 PM   #2
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Re: Sorka's Eye color

What's the prevalent Irish eye colour?

On a hunch I'd say Sorka had blue eyes.

Edit:
Done some more research and found this in the short story "The Second Weyr":

Quote:
She looked down into Mihall Connell´s slightly mocking gray-blue eyes
Now we know that Sean had very blue eyes, so if their son has gray-blue eyes, there seems a good chance that Sorka has gray eyes. Not necessarily so, but this might be an acceptible conclusion, I think.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24 2008, 02:10 PM   #3
Pernaficionado
Inactive

Fan of: Dragonsong
Now Reading: brainships

I would go with green, she had red hair
Pernaficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24 2008, 03:01 PM   #4
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

Her hair's mentioned quite a lot - it's a 'deep burnished red', short and curly when she's an established dragonrider but longer (and presumably somewhat straighter) when she was younger.

I never came across any mention of eye colour in the UK Dragonsdawn or Chronicles, but I'd guess you could go with green, blue/green, blue, grey or any combination of the above.

Different shades of blue/grey vary a lot in families, and green isn't necessarily homozygous - a green-eyed Sorka could carry the genes for blue- or grey-eyed kids recessively.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24 2008, 03:08 PM   #5
Hans
Master Archivist

Maelin and I already did a search, Kath, and haven't been able to find her eye colour

However, I neglected to look for Red's and Mihall's eye colour.... which I now corrected (couldn't find Red's either).

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Jun 24 2008, 03:12 PM   #6
Topaz the Golden
Inactive

Fan of: all of them
Now Reading: anything I can get my hands on
2cent Re: Sorka's Eye color

green with her red hair
Topaz the Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24 2008, 04:00 PM   #7
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Maelin and I already did a search, Kath, and haven't been able to find her eye colour
Yeah, I figured you'd have done that already. I still have my notes lingering from writing Dragondays though, so it was easy to check! And I'll second you on the other Hanrahans...

Mind, as her mother was a brunette, I'd lean further towards green/hazel than pure blue, just on the basis of statistics, but really anything goes.
Old Jun 24 2008, 07:09 PM   #8
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Kath...Hazel sounds good to me to, as I gave Red Hanrahan green eyes and Sean has blue...so perhaps its time for a pair of hazel eyes.

Thank you very much for all your help....Hans, Pernafictionado, Kath and Topaz the Golden. I will go with the Hazel blue/green so everyone was right.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Jun 24 2008, 09:47 PM   #9
Sandi

I'm glad you decided on hazel as that would have been my recommendation Have to throw in a comment about Kath's comments, though. Recessives can certainly turn up and surprise you. I'd always thought brown eyes were extremely dominant but my neice who has almost black hair and very dark brown eyes married a blue-eyed blonde young man and both of their children have beautiful red hair and bright blue eyes!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24 2008, 11:24 PM   #10
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Sandi...thank you for comments and recommendation...I do think its the best choice to make with all that we know about her.

"END of Sorka eye color Suggestions "

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP

Old Jun 25 2008, 02:54 AM   #11
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi View Post
I'm glad you decided on hazel as that would have been my recommendation Have to throw in a comment about Kath's comments, though. Recessives can certainly turn up and surprise you. I'd always thought brown eyes were extremely dominant but my neice who has almost black hair and very dark brown eyes married a blue-eyed blonde young man and both of their children have beautiful red hair and bright blue eyes!
Brown eyes are generally dominant, but I wouldn't be surprised by that family at all - the brown-eyed mother would have carried the blue-eyed gene recessively. In the simplest picture (i.e. basic school biology which ignores green eyes altogether!), rather than inheriting the gene for brown eyes from both parents, she'd have had brown from one and blue from the other. With a blue-eyed husband, you'd expect a 50:50 chance that each kid would have blue eyes - and even if they didn't, they'd carry a blue-eyed gene recessively from their father to potentially pass on to the next generation.

That'll teach me not to use words like homozygous (carrying two identical alleles for a certain trait, one inherited from each parent, rather than two different alleles, one of which would be dominant over the other) again without explaining what I mean... I've just got so used to seeing it and hetereozygous on other boards, that I forgot to elaborate!
Old Jun 25 2008, 09:01 PM   #12
Shalyn
Inactive

Location: Loo-a-vull / Luhvuhl / Loo-ih-ville / Loo-a-ville / Looeyville / Lewisville Oh, Heck. Kentuckiana.
Fan of: Dragonflight

As far as I'm concerned, just about anything goes.

My mom has blue/grey eyes, dark brown hair. (Well it used to be dark brown.)
My dad - red/brown hair, hazel/green eyes.

Me - brown hair with a tad of red, hazel eyes
My brother - brown hair, brown eyes
My sister - Blonde hair, blue eyes.

But...my mom's brother was born blonde/blue, where his hair turned as dark as my mom's when he was in his 20's.

My sister's husband...brown hair, but dunno the eyes. But their kids are both blonde/blue

I say that it was a crapshoot.

And gee - I wonder which portrait Lady M is working on now...
Shalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25 2008, 09:22 PM   #13
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

It looks like brown eyes with Red Hair to me. DD On Dragon Wings
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26 2008, 12:29 AM   #14
Sandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalyn View Post
As far as I'm concerned, just about anything goes.

My mom has blue/grey eyes, dark brown hair. (Well it used to be dark brown.)
My dad - red/brown hair, hazel/green eyes.

Me - brown hair with a tad of red, hazel eyes
My brother - brown hair, brown eyes
My sister - Blonde hair, blue eyes.

But...my mom's brother was born blonde/blue, where his hair turned as dark as my mom's when he was in his 20's.

My sister's husband...brown hair, but dunno the eyes. But their kids are both blonde/blue

I say that it was a crapshoot.

I'd say you are right, especially with people in the US. I know my own family is a broad mixture and it seems to be true of most Americans. My sister and I both have dark brown eyes which we generally attribute to the fact that our mother's great=grandmother was Chocktaw. My sister and her daughter (the above mentioned niece) both have dark hair and very fair skin. My skin is darker but my hair was a much lighter shade of brown (before it became gray). Of course, our father had light eyes that seemed to varry between blue and gray and on my mother's father's side they were Irish and very fair. So........ any of us could readily have just about any coloration, really. But I feel for my niece who gets a lot of looks when she's out with her kids and some people have actually asked her who's kids they are!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26 2008, 11:13 PM   #15
kevia
Ballybran Resident

Tuner

Fan of: Nimisha's Ship
Now Reading: Crystal Line

This is an interesting subject. In my family, both my parents have dark brown hair, as do I. In my husband's family, no one has dark brown hair. Most of them have either red hair, or light brown or blond hair. Both of our sons have red hair. My dad's brother does have red hair, also, so the genes were obviously there. In my family, eyes tend to be either brown or hazel. In my dh's family they are either brown or blue. So our sons ended up with brown eyes. Not the most common combination-red hair, brown eyes- but they both have it. And, as my husband has almost no hair, now, and what he does have turned gray when the boys were pretty young, I'm always being asked where they got the red hair.
Old Jun 27 2008, 12:05 AM   #16
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Shalyn...

Old Jun 27 2008, 04:52 AM   #17
Hans
Master Archivist