A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old Jan 26 2008, 08:38 PM   #1
Nina
Talent

Finder

Fan of: The Talent series
Now Reading: almost a book a day
Eurocon 2007 book in Danish - jubiiiii

As you may know Eurocon 2007 was my first SF con. There were so many books there that it was hard to choose and buy, and I ended up with just one book for me and two for my son.

NOW I have just found two of the new Eurocon 2007 books on the library self for newly published books, so of course I had to take them home.

One is called "Fantastiske virkeligheder", fantastic realities and has introductive descriptions of four authors, Anne McCaffrey, Zoran Zivkovic, Stephen Baxter and Stanislaw Lem, and one or two short stories by each author. The book is published by the Science Fiction Circle especially for the Eurocon 2007 event.

In this book I have so enjoyed reading Anne's two short stories "The Mandaley Cure" and "Runner of Pern" in Danish.

I am sure that I will have to reread them, so I have to buy this book as well

Now I am proceeding to the other introduced authors, but I just had to share my joy with you all

The Rowan is my favourite!

"The name rowan is believed to derive from the Norse runa - "a charm". It was often planted outside houses to ward off witches. On May Day a spray of rowan leaves was hung over doors to repel evil, and wells dressed with rowan to keep witches away. The rowan, or mountain ash, is found commonly in Scotland, sometimes clinging to a rock face."
Nina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26 2008, 11:11 PM   #2
Sandi

Default Re: Eurocon 2007 book in Danish - jubiiiii

Well, of course you will have to buy it! And maybe two copies would be wise. One to keep (it's bound to become a collector's item!) and one to read as many times as you wish
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27 2008, 05:20 AM   #3
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Yes, I bought the anthology (and Dragonflight paperback and the Harper Hall trilogy n hardcover) at the convention and it even features on the homepage of my Pern Museum & Archives website as most recently pubished Pern sort story in a foreign language since September last year

What do you think of the translation, Nina? Is it good in your opinion, objectively I mean, not as an Anne Fan

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27 2008, 08:24 AM   #4
Nina
Talent

Finder

Re: Eurocon 2007 book in Danish - jubiiiii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Yes, I bought the anthology (and Dragonflight paperback and the Harper Hall trilogy n hardcover) at the convention and it even features on the homepage of my Pern Museum & Archives website as most recently pubished Pern sort story in a foreign language since September last year

What do you think of the translation, Nina? Is it good in your opinion, objectively I mean, not as an Anne Fan
Hans, you do not seem to mention the short story "The Mandaley Cure", which is also in the book. Why not?

Objectively Lea Thume has done a great job translating. I do not know her background for translating, but, being used to translating myself, I only detected a few glitches where a sentence has been translated too directly, and quite a few typographical and punctuation errors, but nothing serious to impede the reading the wonderful short stories. All in all a very good translation and a joy to read. (I am usually very critical about translations )

For my son I bought the hardcover Harper Hall trilogy in Danish, as we only had the three books in very old and worn library versions with the pages coming out from wear and tear. It has already been read twice

As a fan "Runner of Pern" is a very good short story indeed

"The name rowan is believed to derive from the Norse runa - "a charm". It was often planted outside houses to ward off witches. On May Day a spray of rowan leaves was hung over doors to repel evil, and wells dressed with rowan to keep witches away. The rowan, or mountain ash, is found commonly in Scotland, sometimes clinging to a rock face."
Old Jan 27 2008, 10:23 AM   #5
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina View Post
Hans, you do not seem to mention the short story "The Mandaley Cure", which is also in the book. Why not?
Because the subject of the newsitem is "the latest translated Pern story", that's why.
My website is primarily about Pern and Anne and only in second (third?) place about her other worlds and books, only mentioned in the section called More Mac!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Jan 27 2008, 03:13 PM   #6
Lily

Where will I find "The Mandaley Cure" ?
It's not a name that immediately comes to mind

Happy hunting, Nina!
Old Jan 27 2008, 04:26 PM   #7
Anneli
Weyrwoman

Now Reading: Dragonflight

The Mandalay Cure is one of the short stories in the anthology "The Girl Who Heard Dragons". My edition is the Corgi paperback of 1996. Hope this helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily View Post
Where will I find "The Mandaley Cure" ?
It's not a name that immediately comes to mind

Happy hunting, Nina!
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27 2008, 05:37 PM   #8
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Also note that "Mandalay Cure" is related to "Sleeping Beauty Humpty Dumpty" and "Duty Calls", also found in Girl Who Heard Dragons.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27 2008, 10:21 PM   #9
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

I know I read The Girl Who Heard Dragons, but I do not rember those stories. I'll have to see if the library has a copy.

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28 2008, 08:45 AM   #10
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Maw: remember that A Girl Who Heard Dragons exists as an anthology as well as a stand-alone.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28 2008, 09:35 AM   #11
Hans
Master Archivist

P'ter, you are correct, but to clarify...

The book with that title is an anthology and it contains one Pern short story by the same title. The story as such has never been published as a regular seperate publication (like The Dolphin's Bell and Rescue Run were) but it was published only as a highly collectible and very expensive cheap street edition (of which I think Cheryl did a Collecting Highlight once)

Old Jan 28 2008, 10:01 AM   #12
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

LOL, nothing 'cheap' about the price of those editions!!!
Old Jan 28 2008, 10:45 AM   #13
Hans
Master Archivist

True but they are very, very beautiful

and what a sad story to read about the owners of this extraordinary publishing house...

Their books were typically issued in editions of 50 to 200 copies, and sold for up to $250 each. They approached primarily only authors who they identified for excellence in writing quality.

George and Jan O'Nale were hermitic in their habits, living in a fairly unpopulated area in the Virginian countryside. They were eccentric and irascible, and were known to suddenly and arbitrarily fall into contention with individuals with which they came in contact.

In 2002, the O'Nales donated their collection of books and press materials to Tulane University, and then committed suicide in the spring of 2003, citing increasing health problems.

Some story eh?

Old Jan 28 2008, 09:46 PM   #14
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

I didn't know that Hans! That's so very sad and tragic.
Old Jan 28 2008, 10:26 PM   #15
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Nina, Glad to hear that you also bought that book *Fantastiske Virkeligheder*
I also picked that one up while we were looking at the books that the Covention organizers had out on their table. I don't know how to read Danish, but I loved the ship on the cover. Now that is *Helva's Ship*for sure. The book also contains another rare article in it about Anne, to add to my collection.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29 2008, 05:24 PM   #16
Nina
Talent

Finder

book collectors' passion

Maelin, I wish you could read Danish so you could enjoy the content too

Old Jan 30 2008, 06:27 PM   #17
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Nina...I did try to learn a little Danish, when we were headed to Copenhagen...it didn't work to well, as the first Danish words I tried to say at the airport came out badly, in front of a very disgruntled ticket sales person...who made fun of my first attempt...so I didn't try anything else while we were there. I find people who know multiple languages facinating....and would love to know another language well enough to feel comfortable with speaking it....someday maybe!!!

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Jan 31 2008, 03:54 PM   #18
Nina
Talent

Finder

Maelin, I cannot begin to count the number of times having been made fun of or frowned at when I tried out a few words in a new language. The last one was very recently when I tried a few signs in sign language, but I learn, and today I talked to the same lady again making a fool of myself but still I learned a little more. She ended up by saying "keep trying"

If I had waited until I could speak well enough I would never have learned any other language than Danish. I know by reactions and comments that I have a very funny accent when speaking French.

I wish you had tried your Danish on me

Old Jan 31 2008, 04:00 PM   #19
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

I found "mangy tack" very useful

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31 2008, 04:26 PM   #20
Nina
Talent

Finder

P'ter, you are most welcome

Old Jan 31 2008, 05:28 PM   #21
Anneli
Weyrwoman

Now Reading: Dragonflight

The same would probably carry you through in Norwegian and Swedish for good measure

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
I found "mangy tack" very useful
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1 2008, 09:19 PM   #22
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Nina, Thank you very kindly ... I do wish I would have known you when we were in the same room together, and I was taking the photos for you of your family with Anne. I would have been happy to say hello, and try out my so few words of Danish.... that I thought I knew, on you.

I do admire those people that can speak other languages than their own native one with ease.

So do I understand correctly that *Mangy Tack* is *thank you* in Danish??? I can't look it up anymore, as I lost my small pock phrase book *Say it in Danish* somewhere on the flight home...sigh!!!

Old Feb 2 2008, 11:48 AM   #23
Nina
Talent

Finder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post
So do I understand correctly that *Mangy Tack* is *thank you* in Danish??? I can't look it up anymore, as I lost my small pock phrase book *Say it in Danish* somewhere on the flight home...sigh!!!
Maelin,

"Mangy tack" is the sound version of "Mange tak" which acutally means "thank you very much". "Tak" means "thank you".

Eurocon 2007 was very exciting for me. A whole new world opening. I do wish though that I had known everyone here beforehand, other Danes as well and some more of the authors present. I felt such a novice with lots of opportunities missed due to lack of knowledge.

My son learned much as well. He attended the science lectures, and he has got very good grading since as he has used the knowledge gained any way he can, *says the proud mother*

Old Feb 2 2008, 07:00 PM   #24
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Nina, Glad to hear that your son, is doing so well...and that the science part of the convention helped him. Was this your first Science Fiction convention?

I recognise the words *Mange Tak* now...from the little pocket book that I carried with me in Copenhagen. Well at least now I will know how to say a very kindly *Thank you very much*, if I ever happen to meet you in the future....and I will mean every word of it toooooooo!!!