A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old Mar 5 2006, 09:05 AM   #1
Nefermiw
Ballybran Resident

Caterer's Assistant

Fan of: The Crystal Singer series
Now Reading: anything on my eReader
Smile Danish translations

It looks like that there only is 4 books translated into Danish:

Ildøglernes sang (Dragonsong)
Skjaldenes hal (Dragonsinger: Harper of Pern)
Dragetrommer (Dragondrums)
Drager på himlen. (Dragonflight)

In 2005 a harper hall omnibus was published under the name of all three books in it. The ISBN is 87-21-02504-5.

The books are published by Borgen and translated by Torben Nilsson (except Drager på himlen, which is translated by Helle Borgen).

I think I was about 14 years old when I found Ildøglernes sang at the library and of course I read the other 3 as quickly as I could too. Since these were the only ones translated into Danish, it "forced" me to start reading books in English.

I think one of the "problems", that has caused that no more of the books got translated, is that it is easier for Danes to read English that e.g. Germans. All television is in original language with subtitles if the program or film is targeted for people older than about 10 years old.

I think a book should be read in the original language if possible, but it was of course a good thing that there are a few Pern books translated into Danish so I could find them in the children's section of the library. Imagine if I never had found the wonderful world of pern and it's dragons.
Nefermiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5 2006, 02:11 PM   #2
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Re: Danish translations

Nefermiw, as said in chat I git a list from Anne (via her son Alec, her erstwhile business manager, in 2001) which listed also
  • Dragonquest, published 1990
  • The White Dragon, published 1993
  • The Renegades of Pern, published 1993
  • All the Weyrs of Pern, published 1993
No Danish titles mentioned but only that they were published by Borgen.

A few years ago this book (probably holding a short story?) was still listed on the McCaffrey page on the website of Borgen Verlag (can you tell me more about that book?):

“Skibet som sang”, novelle i “Parallaxis : science fiction af kvindelige amerikanske forfattere”, ved Lise Svane-Mikkelsen
April : 1986

It was listed between Drager på himlen and Ildøglernes sang

Apart from that there are also the Danish Audio Books (Harper Hall trilogy):
  • McCaffrey, Anne: Dragetrommer. - 1992. - 6 kassetter. - 3. del af: Ildøglernes sang.
  • McCaffrey, Anne: Ildøglernes sang. - 1992. - 5 kassetter. - 1. del af serie.
  • McCaffrey, Anne: Skjaldenes hal. - 1992. - Mappe 1 (kassette 1-6). - 2. del af: Ildøglernes sang.
  • McCaffrey, Anne: Skjaldenes hal. - 1992. - Mappe 2 (kassette 7). - 2. del af: Ildøglernes sang
I think the publishers name is Ebeltoft (?)

I'm searching in my data for more on the other Pern books, but as I said, they might be out of print or never published at all. In that last case however, I strongly suspect that Borgen did buy the rights to have them translated and published and that maybe Anne got paid for that.

One more thing: where the list from Anne herself says that titles were published in 1990 my original survey of the Borgen website revealed that those books were published in 1989! On the list Borgen was also mentioned for Dolphins of Pern but that entry didn't have a year mentioned.

Could you maybe mail Borgen Verlag to ask whether they planned or have published the titles that are obviously not available (any longer)?

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6 2006, 07:30 AM   #3
Nefermiw
Ballybran Resident

Caterer's Assistant

Sure, I can mail Borgen and ask them about the books.
I might not get around to doing it this week, but I'll see what I can do.

And Hans, Verlag is German.
It's called forlag in Danish. Remember to update your database with the correct spelling, so you will have an easier time doing searches and such.
Old Mar 6 2006, 07:57 AM   #4
Nefermiw
Ballybran Resident

Caterer's Assistant

Smile Re: Danish translations

About the book “Parallaxis : science fiction af kvindelige amerikanske forfattere”:

The sub-title of the book means: Science fiction by female American authers.
The book is edited by Lise Svane-Mikkelsen.
According to www.rex.kb.dk the ISBN is 87-88830-04-7, but I get nothing on that when doing a google search on it.
I've never heard about the publisher called April before.

You can buy the book used here:
http://www.antikvariat.net/search.cgi?open=PIL151075
for 85 DKK = 11,33 EUR
Not that you would be able to read very much of it.
Old Mar 6 2006, 08:01 AM   #5
Nefermiw
Ballybran Resident

Caterer's Assistant

BTW - weird that "Parallaxis:..." would have been listed at Borgen's website, since the book is listed as published by a publisher apparently called April.
Old Mar 6 2006, 03:34 PM   #6
Hans
Master Archivist

But Nef, can you find out which story by Anne is in that book? My guess would be The Ship Who Sang, but that's just a guess

For a second hand book I find the price raher steep. Are books expensive in Danmark to begin with? (as they are in The Netherlands).

And you must have guessed, though I can read (and write) more than a handful of foreign languages that I don't particularly colelct Pern books to read them Although I'll always try to read a book in its original language if possible!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Mar 6 2006, 06:12 PM   #7
Nefermiw
Ballybran Resident

Caterer's Assistant

Sorry, I forgot to translate 'Skibet som sang'. I guess I didn't notice that it was in Danish, but just read and understood it.

Yes, it means 'The ship who sang'

Taxes are higher in Denmark than in most other places. VAT is 25% on everything. I'm guessing prices are about the same as in the Netherlands. But I would also say that 85 DKK for a used book is a bit much.
Old Mar 15 2006, 07:21 AM   #8
Nefermiw
Ballybran Resident

Caterer's Assistant

I've sent an email to Borgen today, so cross your fingers and wish for a reply.
Old Mar 26 2006, 05:23 AM   #9
Hans
Master Archivist

FYI

While searching internet pages in Slovenian a list with a link to a Danish page popped up with the data on the Borgen publications:

Old Mar 26 2006, 02:47 PM   #10
Nefermiw
Ballybran Resident

Caterer's Assistant

I'm pretty sure I've seen that page before.

Did you notice that they've written Anne-Inez, and Not Anne Inez? I don't think that there is supposed to be a hyphen between her names.

I still haven't heard back from Borgen, so I think I shouldn't hold my breath waiting for a reply. An auto-reply would have been better than nothing I guess.
Old Mar 26 2006, 03:50 PM   #11
Hans
Master Archivist

about no reply and yes, you are right.
There should not be a hyphen between Anne's names.

Old Apr 30 2006, 08:09 AM   #12
Hans
Master Archivist

Never got any reply on the mail to Borgen, Nef?

I only now saw you were thinking the publisher of the anthology was called April. I think it is the month of publication, not the publisher.

Old Apr 30 2006, 01:23 PM   #13
Nefermiw
Ballybran Resident

Caterer's Assistant

Nope, I still haven't gotten a reply.

And I do think the publisher of that Parallaxis book is called April. It says so if you look it up on the library and I think I remember checking out the ISBN number.