A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Exhibit Hall

Exhibit Hall For the exhibition of artistic creations by our members, from poetry and prose to drawings, photography, and digital art.

Closed Thread

Old Jun 8 2006, 07:48 PM   #1
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)
Post Pern Portraits by resident artist Lady Maelin

MoM's very own fabulous resident journeywoman artist, Lady Maelin, has offered to do portraits of any active MoM member as Pernese characters. In order to do a portrait for you, she will need certain information along with a good picture; send this information via PM. Please refer to the list of requirements below, and post any questions you might have here -- so answers are accessible to all and Maelin can spend more time drawing and less time answering questions!
  1. Color of eyes
  2. Color and length of hair
  3. Color of firelizard and name (only one per person, please)
  4. Character name and rank/job (holder, crafter, Weyrfolk...?)
  5. Clothes: Gather finery, craft tunic, riding leathers (dragonriders only), etc.
  6. Favorite color for clothes (craft color, perhaps?)
  7. Link to a clear, close-up photo of yourself (posted online somewhere such as photobucket). No attachments please.

Keep in mind the caveats that you must be an active member of MoM, and that Lady Maelin has offered to do Pern portraits only (and following canon in terms of women dragonriders on gold and green only, men on any color dragon but gold). Active members are those that have posted in the past 30 days, have been a member for at least two months, and have a minimum post count of 30.

Maelin is working a rolling waiting list. If the list gets too long it may close temporarily, but otherwise just post to this topic to request to get on the list. Also, please make sure that all of your photos are in so that she can start right away -- if your photo and details are not in by the time Maelin is ready to start, you will be bumped one spot down the list.

Before the full portrait is posted, you may begin using your portrait as an avatar if you like. For help creating the avatar drop a PM to Cheryl with a link to the picture. I will crop and shrink a few different versions for you to choose from.

NOTICE TO MEMBERS WANTING FOR A PORTRAIT !!!
I am sorry to tell you but I will no longer be offering to do any new portraits. I have two to finish of members that were still on the list...Phoenix and Lindsey, after these two are finished I will no longer be accepting anymore request for portriats...Sorry!!!

I have enjoyed the time that I have spent creating the MoM members "PERN" portirats, but now I must move on to other projects that I have been putting off for the last year. Thank You for all your wonderful support, and lovely compliments on my work...Maelin
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.

Last edited by Cheryl; Feb 20 2007 at 07:36 PM.
Old Jul 14 2006, 07:00 PM   #2
Jax

Latent Talent

Fan of: DDawn 1st read, love all
Now Reading: MagicKingdom4salesold ArtemisF
Default Re: Pern Portraits by resident artist Lady Maelin

Would it be possible to have an updated schedule posted of the next batch? I look forward to seeing more Maelin!!
Old Jul 15 2006, 12:47 AM   #3
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Jax, Thank you for asking, at this point I have these members on the list still to do:

Shalyn... who I am working on as I write this...

Spiff...

Annareth...

Matt...

Lily...

Dragongirl...

I will be putting a new portriat up only as I finish them now, since I am all

caught up with the ones that I had already finished. I would appriciate your

patience on these, as I work on them as often as I can. As some of you

know I have had a few health conserns lately that have slowed me down a

bit. Never fear I am still happily working in my studio, trying to bringing

some people who live and work on Pern, here to visit on MoM.....Maelin

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Jul 15 2006, 05:25 AM   #4
Hans
Master Archivist

I think we all were/are impatient but we'll be good as we count ourselves lucky just to have you doing them!

And I think I can safely say I speak for all here

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Jul 15 2006, 08:01 AM   #5
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

Fan of: the Dragonriders of Pern!
Now Reading: The Elder Gods - Eddings

What Hans said!!!

"When a harper is silenced, all men should listen harder." AtWoP
Old Jul 15 2006, 12:31 PM   #6
Shalyn

Location: Loo-a-vull / Luhvuhl / Loo-ih-ville / Loo-a-ville / Looeyville / Lewisville Oh, Heck. Kentuckiana.
Fan of: Dragonflight

Easy for you to say - yours are done!

Those of us who have been (im)patiently waiting are learning just how virtuous patience is!

But I'm next.

And neener-neener to the rest of you!
Old Jul 15 2006, 12:43 PM   #7
Spaceman Spiff
Aspiring Dragon Anatomist

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Lord of the Rings

I was certainly getting curious (yes, that's the word, not impatient at all ) but thank you for putting up the list! At the rate you'd been whipping em out before, I couldn't blame you if you were taking a break, and especially if you had some health concerns! But you are one dedicated lady
Old Jul 15 2006, 12:46 PM   #8
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Thank you very much Hans, for the lovely compliments.

It has truly been wonderful getting to know the members that I have done portriats of.

I am so thankfull to Cheryl and her husband, that they were able to make this possible for all of us to enjoy. Thank you dear friend, for doing all of this for me, and the membership. You have truely made one of my grand dreams come true.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Jul 15 2006, 01:40 PM   #9
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

I am sorry, that the rest of you are having to wait what only SEEMS to be a little longer time, to get your individual portraits. I had quite a few finished before we started putting them up. So now the back log is all caugt up, and you will have to wait until I finish each individual one from now on.

Trust me though, I haven't been on a "BREAK" as some of you have been thinking. I have still been putting a portriat up every week for all of you to see, and hopefully enjoy. They just take time to do, so your patience will be very appriciated.

Now that some of you have mentioned it though, I will be taking a break, with the up and coming L.A. convention, and my eye surgery that is to take place directly afterwords.

SOOOOO THEN !!! You will just have to wait, sorry!!! as patiently as you can until I can get to your own special portriats. I know you wouldn't want me to rush through it, and for it "NOT" to be just as special as all the rest have been....

I will work as hard and as often as I can, so as to not have you wait toooooo long for your portriats. Never fear, I haven't forgotten you.......Really... I promise.

Old Jul 15 2006, 07:39 PM   #10
Jax

Latent Talent

Fan of: DDawn 1st read, love all
Now Reading: MagicKingdom4salesold ArtemisF

:hugs: Maelin
Old Jul 16 2006, 03:05 AM   #11
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Thank you Jax, I needed that ............

Old Jul 16 2006, 08:14 AM   #12
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

A side note on the gallery pages -- I won't be able to update them with the latest portraits until I have my new computer.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Old Jul 16 2006, 10:31 AM   #13
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly
Thumbs up Re: Pern Portraits by resident artist Lady Maelin

*hugs Lady Maelin* Best of luck with the eyes

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
Old Jul 16 2006, 01:00 PM   #14
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Thank you P'ter, I have had the left one done twice already, so I know what I have to go through. Hopefully this time they will get it right on the first go through, and save me a lot of pain and time away from my art desk, and the members portraits that need to be finished.

Old Jul 16 2006, 05:34 PM   #15
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

poor you! hope you get well sooner!
Old Jul 17 2006, 10:54 PM   #16
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

Eye surgery? Corrective, or something needing fixing? (I've been tempted by vision correction surgery, but I've heard you can't go back to contacts if it goes wrong and if I can't wear contacts I'd just have to skate blind. You never see a skater in glasses!)

We're patient! (Well, I'm not usually, but I can be patient here.) I couldn't imagine you were actually DOING portraits like that as fast as they were being posted.
Old Jul 18 2006, 01:35 AM   #17
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Edi, Thank you for your lovely consern, I am looking forward to getting it all done, and getting back to being able to see with both eyes. I have almost forgotten what that is like. ........

Old Jul 18 2006, 01:42 AM   #18
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Anareth, the eye surgery I am having is for Cataracts, this is the second eye, and it will be the third operation I have had.

I am very glad you are being so patient, and waiting so nicely for me to get to your portrait. I work on them everyday, and some times I can do one faster than with other one, just depends on what I am putting in them, and how much work is involved. Some of these last ones were a lot more involved than some of the first ones were. I am also trying to think of new things to put in them or show in them. So hopefully it will be worth your wait.

Old Jul 19 2006, 10:17 AM   #19
Hans
Master Archivist

I must say I'm looking forward to seeing Anareth's I'm dying to know whether she'll be in it as Healer or Weyrwoman...

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Jul 20 2006, 11:58 AM   #20
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

I guess you will just have to wait and see Hans, But I will give you a little hint... cough,

cough "HEY DOC", have I got a temperature ?!?... ...........

Old Jul 20 2006, 11:28 PM   #21
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Lol, Hans, I asked for Master Healer Eliara, the PC I play far most often. Besides, I have the caduceus as my avatar at the moment! (Though Eliara does have a little friend.)
Old Jul 21 2006, 01:42 PM   #22
Shalyn

Location: Loo-a-vull / Luhvuhl / Loo-ih-ville / Loo-a-ville / Looeyville / Lewisville Oh, Heck. Kentuckiana.
Fan of: Dragonflight

Considering how eager Eliara *was* for that little friend, I'm surprised that she stuck around! Mother/pet owner of the year she is not!
Old Jul 21 2006, 11:15 PM   #23
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Eliara's a bigger softie than she lets on...you note she's even starting to put up with Alavid's two pests, too. (And with Alavid, come to that.)
Old Jul 25 2006, 11:29 PM   #24
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

NOTICE :

As of today, I will be taking some time off, from doing the portraits. I will be resuming them on the First of September. I am sorry that I didn't get the four members that are still on the list(as mentioned below) finished before I was scheduling my break. I promise that I will do all of them as soon as possible... I am going to the L.A. World Con. and need to get a project finished before we go.

YOUR PATIENCE WILL BE GREATLY APPRICIATED ....Lady Maelin

Anareth(working on)
Matt
Lily
Dragongirl
Jube(need photo and info) but your on the list !!!
Bisbe(photo and info needed) good luck!!!

Last edited by Lady Maelin; Jul 29 2006 at 02:59 PM.
Old Jul 25 2006, 11:42 PM   #25
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Okay, I'll wait until you come back before sending my photo etc. Well, all I ask is that you please consider me on your next list. Have lots of fun at the World Con in L.A.
Old Jul 26 2006, 12:49 AM   #26
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

WorldCon? Lucky you! *counting down to her one con of the year, GenCon* Have a great time!
Old Jul 26 2006, 08:01 AM   #27
Lily

you have a wonderful time Maelin. I am so far away from all SF Cons I can only yearn and enjoy them through the re-telling of those more fortunate.
Old Jul 26 2006, 11:01 AM   #28
Hans
Master Archivist

Hey, Lily, me too. There are two yearly SF convention-like events in my country but for any good stuff I have to travel abroad. I also think, or is that just me, that the conventions (abroad) ask for memberships/entrance fees that are much too expensive (especially if you have to add cost of traveling and lodging)

I have one vastly "unfair" other advantage over you though... I'll be taking a sixteen day vacation in Ireland this year from August 5 to 21

Old Jul 26 2006, 11:37 AM   #29
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans

I have one vastly "unfair" other advantage over you though... I'll be taking a sixteen day vacation in Ireland this year from August 5 to 21

Stopping in to see THE Dragonlady, Hans?
You'll be flying right over my head, probably.
Old Jul 26 2006, 03:59 PM   #30
Hans
Master Archivist

Of course, AnnMarie I wouldn't dare not staying at Dragonhold (ever talked to Anne personally?)

Where do I wave from the plane?

Old Jul 26 2006, 09:22 PM   #31
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

I haven't even set eyes on The Lady...but my warmest greetings to her, please.

Wave as you fly over the Beds/Bucks/Herts area!
Old Jul 27 2006, 07:52 AM   #32
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

send my greetings along too! dunno if you'll fly over me! Everyuone else does though!
Old Jul 28 2006, 11:26 PM   #33
bisbe
Curlycorn

Fan of: All of them
Now Reading: the one from the library!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin
Anareth, the eye surgery I am having is for Cataracts, this is the second eye, and it will be the third operation I have had.

I am very glad you are being so patient, and waiting so nicely for me to get to your portrait. I work on them everyday, and some times I can do one faster than with other one, just depends on what I am putting in them, and how much work is involved. Some of these last ones were a lot more involved than some of the first ones were. I am also trying to think of new things to put in them or show in them. So hopefully it will be worth your wait.
Lady Maelin I pray your cataract surgery goes as good as mine did. I was in and out of the operating room within an half hour.
My dog and I hit heads and we both ended up with cataracts!
I would love to have you do my picture also. But I do have a request--Can it wait about 9 months? I am loosing weight for health reasons and I'd love it to be of the slimmer me, not of the fat me.

Betsy
aka bisbe
Old Jul 29 2006, 01:29 AM   #34
Dragongirl
.:. Baroness von Imp .:.
Weyrling

Fan of: I do not 'fan'. I obsess.
Now Reading: Lady Helen & The Dark Days Club - A.Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin
NOTICE :

As of today, I will be taking some time off, from doing the portraits. I will be resuming them on the First of September. I am sorry that I didn't get the four members that are still on the list(as mentioned below) finished before I was scheduling my break. I promise that I will do all of them as soon as possible... I am going to the L.A. World Con. and need to get a project finished before we go.

YOUR PATIENCE WILL BE GREATLY APPRICIATED ....Lady Maelin

Anareth(working on)
Matt
Lily
Dragongirl
Jube(need photo and info) but your on the list !!!
S'okay Maelin I'm a very patient person and I know you shouldn't rush an artist Hope that surgery goes well!

Oh and Hans, could you say Hi to Anne for me please?

Those who seek to create war are mongrels and fools, but the blood they spill as a result is never meaningless. - Lucrezia Noin

When someone is grieving for what they've lost, you can't really say you know how they feel, or how they should handle things. Because even if you've lost too, everyone grieves differently. Anyone who says otherwise are presumptuous idiots.-Hayley (My friend can be an astonishing wealth of wisdom)
Old Jul 29 2006, 07:33 AM   #35
Hans
Master Archivist

Of course, I'll do it gladly Dragongirl (does she know you/your real name?)

Old Jul 29 2006, 02:51 PM   #36
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisbe
Lady Maelin I pray your cataract surgery goes as good as mine did. I was in and out of the operating room within an half hour.
My dog and I hit heads and we both ended up with cataracts!
I would love to have you do my picture also. But I do have a request--Can it wait about 9 months? I am loosing weight for health reasons and I'd love it to be of the slimmer me, not of the fat me.

Betsy
aka bisbe
Betsy,

Don't worry, I can do your portrait when ever you are ready, but I will put your name up on the list, that way you will have a spot, and if you aren't ready yet, I can bump you down. OK...

Old Jul 29 2006, 03:10 PM   #37
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

For general information purposes:

I can alter, remove, or change many things that a member might not want to have in there portrait. Just let me know what it is that you don't want included, or that you would like to have changed, and I will do my best to do the portrait as you request it..... Maelin

Old Jul 29 2006, 05:03 PM   #38
Anneli
Weyrwoman

Now Reading: Dragonflight

Lady Maelin,

I hope your cataract surgery goes well, and that the pain is minimal And have a wonderful time at WorldCon, you truly deserve it
Old Jul 30 2006, 12:32 AM   #39
Dragongirl
.:. Baroness von Imp .:.
Weyrling

Fan of: I do not 'fan'. I obsess.
Now Reading: Lady Helen & The Dark Days Club - A.Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
Of course, I'll do it gladly Dragongirl (does she know you/your real name?)
Nah unfortunatley I haven't had the honour of meeting the Dragonlady...tell her Sammy, one of her younger fans says G'day!

Those who seek to create war are mongrels and fools, but the blood they spill as a result is never meaningless. - Lucrezia Noin

When someone is grieving for what they've lost, you can't really say you know how they feel, or how they should handle things. Because even if you've lost too, everyone grieves differently. Anyone who says otherwise are presumptuous idiots.-Hayley (My friend can be an astonishing wealth of wisdom)
Old Aug 1 2006, 01:30 AM   #40
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anneli
Lady Maelin,

I hope your cataract surgery goes well, and that the pain is minimal And have a wonderful time at WorldCon, you truly deserve it
Thank you dear friend, I still wish that you were going to be there with us. I will let you know all that happens and who we get to see...and send you pictures too.

The operation will go great, I can't wait to see with both eyes again. YIPPPEEE !!!

Closed Thread