A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Talent: Pegasus, Tower & Hive, and Barque Cats

View Poll Results: Do you have a talent?
Telepath 7 14.58%
Telekinesis 1 2.08%
Teleportation 0 0%
Empath 24 50.00%
Precoq 18 37.50%
Healer 3 6.25%
Linguist 3 6.25%
Tech wizard 3 6.25%
Enough to get by 9 18.75%
None at all 10 20.83%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 27 2007, 04:49 PM   #1
Nina
Talent

Finder

Fan of: The Talent series
Now Reading: almost a book a day
Cool Any real talents in here?

Do you have a proven talent as described in Anne McCaffrey's books?

I have some myself but not developed and nutured as in Anne's books. I would rate it from T9 to T5.

You can choose one or more options!

The Rowan is my favourite!

"The name rowan is believed to derive from the Norse runa - "a charm". It was often planted outside houses to ward off witches. On May Day a spray of rowan leaves was hung over doors to repel evil, and wells dressed with rowan to keep witches away. The rowan, or mountain ash, is found commonly in Scotland, sometimes clinging to a rock face."

Last edited by Nina; Sep 27 2007 at 05:21 PM.
Nina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27 2007, 08:33 PM   #2
Brenda

Default Re: Any real talents in here?

I'm not going to try to rate mine. Basically I have a strong connection with my sister, so that we will have the same idea at the same time and say it exactly the same moment. The strangest was when we were on a bike ride with our parents, she and Dad were about two miles ahead of Mom and me, and we BOTH got the same completely random song in our head. ("Kansas, she says, is the name of the star!" From Wizard of Oz.)

I think you'll find that most people aren't going to be comfortable putting things like that in boxes.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28 2007, 02:21 AM   #3
D. M. Domini
Talent
Finder

Fan of: Afra Lyon, and Robinton!
Now Reading: Sabriel by Garth Nix

I'm entirely unTalented, but hopefully not untalented.
D. M. Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28 2007, 04:47 AM   #4
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

I haven't felt anything for years, but I did have what I can't term anything but a precog incident once.

I and a friend were at a pizzeria that was both a takeout and sit-down restaurant. We decided to stay there, ordered our pizzas and drinks. I'm normally physically calm to the point of being phlegmatic, but this time something was wrong and I couldn't sit still. I was literally pacing up and down the place between sips of my drink, and fiddling with my purse etc. My friend wondered what was wrong and I just said that I wanted to go home and eat the pizzas there. After a few minutes of watching me being so weird, she agreed reluctantly. So we got the pizzas as take-outs, even forfeiting the take-out discount because they had already dirtied the plates. We ate the pizzas at my place, and talked. Later when she left I turned on the news and found out to my horror that about 15 minutes after we left the pizzeria, a skinhead walked in with a sawed-off shotgun and shot the place to pieces. Luckily the immigrant owner and the customers were unhurt.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28 2007, 05:55 AM   #5
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

Precog. I've known that November 26th and Thursday 26th would be meaningful for me in a bad way since I was twelve. I thought I was okay this year, because 26/11 didn't fall on a Thursday, but I ended up getting hit by it twice - the Thursday 26th in April (when we had the crucial scan), and the November 26th (original EDD) in two months time. There've been other events, too - mostly strong deja-vu, seeing things happen that I'd already seen, but I did once see an entire (fairly inconsequential) conversation between two other people. Watching it unfold two days later was very weird.

But anyway. I put it down to coincidence and a good imagination, nothing more. You don't note the ones that don't happen, after all. And if I've been plagued by coincidence, well, I guess some people just are.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28 2007, 08:16 AM   #6
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

I was slightly telepathic with my mother: I'd suddenly get the feeling that it would be good to phone her. She'd pick the phone up and say "Hi Peter, I've just been writing you a letter." It got so that she wouldn't stick a letter into an envelope and stamp it unless I hadn't phoned her within twenty-four hours.

There was a girl at college (not my girl friend) who had just had a spinal fusion operation. I always knew if she had a bad night.

I also knew the sex of both my offspring long before the hospital could tell us. I also knew the sexes of the offspring of my sisters and sisters-in-law.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28 2007, 12:48 PM   #7
Sandi

I new my child was a girl right from the start. People laughed at me until she was born. I think I had a few incidents that could have been precogs when I was younger but, except for a tenuous connection with my sister who lives several States away, I've become a complete dead-head.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29 2007, 05:35 AM   #8
Maximillian
Talent

Fan of: The Talent Series
Now Reading: The Mars Series by Kim Stanley Robinson

Often times my family will carry out entire conversations without having said a word. LoL Sometimes I have to remind my wife to talk out loud when we're in mixed company. It's quite humorous. My youngest daughter often says "Oh great, they're talking in italics again." :P

My wife is also quite proficient at touch healing. She also projects quite a calming aura. (NOTE: Except during the few times she was under the influence of Bee Pollen supplements which she had an extreme adverse reaction to which caused a volatile personality change, it was very odd and quite scary.)

My youngest son seems to be quite proficient at finding things, which has become his duty around the house whenever someone loses something. He unerringly can find it within a few minutes. My oldest son is quite an empath, to the extreme sometimes as he finds it difficult to be in large crowds, he also doesn't like casual physical contact with strangers.

My oldest daughter seems to have a rather specific talent to amplify certain hormonal states. As a father I have often had to tell her to dampen it down a bit as she tends to unconsciously project. Quite unnerving for those who aren't understanding of such phenomena.

Indeed I would say Talent seems to run consistently in our family.
Maximillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29 2007, 11:50 AM   #9
Nina
Talent

Finder

When I was a student, I used to work outside normal office hours when the switchboard was turned off and sometimes all alone in a big building. You know when you get the feeling of a person standing behind you watching without making a noise? Well, I started noticing it on and off, and I turned ever so often to see if anyone was there. Nobody ever was! One evening the feeling was accompanied by a feeling of urgency, so I called my mother, and she was very upset and relieved to get in touch with me. From then on when my mother wanted to contact me, she just thought intensely at me, and I would phone her back as I could call out but not receive calls. This was before cell phones of course. Later I was able to distinguish between different people "calling" always friends or family thinking intensely at me - not always aware of it, until they got a phone call from me. It has never developed into talking and exchanging sentences, but there is a link and sometimes images. Much the same way I sense when close friends or family members are in danger, and I start praying for them.

Once when my family was at an outing to a pebbly beach underneath a huge chalk rock face, a very popular site to visit at least once a year and for many tourists as well, I had a feeling of danger and was very uneasy and ended up herding my family on along the beach until the next staircase up, I even urged on when my husband wanted to rest, as we usually did having a picknick on the beach. He was very angry with me for rushing along. Once we reached the staircase I was calm as ever again and we went home. The next day a huge part of the chalk rock face fell to the beach and killed a lady, and it was all over the news. It turned out that because of much rain, the entire chalk rock had been undermined and broken up until finally a very large piece breaking off and falling to the beach and sea below.

When I was three months pregnant, I saw my son in a dream. From then on he got his name, and he looked exactly like my dream when he was born. Everyone teased me the rest of the pregnancy for being so sure it was a boy and having already given him his name. I was right though.

I really like reading Anne McCaffrey's talent books, because they seem authentic, and I can relate to them, besides the very good and peopleknowing storylines!

"The name rowan is believed to derive from the Norse runa - "a charm". It was often planted outside houses to ward off witches. On May Day a spray of rowan leaves was hung over doors to repel evil, and wells dressed with rowan to keep witches away. The rowan, or mountain ash, is found commonly in Scotland, sometimes clinging to a rock face."
Old Sep 29 2007, 02:26 PM   #10
Topaz the Golden

Fan of: all of them
Now Reading: anything I can get my hands on

I'm have some procoq. I can only see what happens to me like when I had to transfer in my job becasue I moved I knew where they were sending me befor they told me. I aslo knew I would meet someone special there. Then early this year I was transfered again I had already knew when I just didn't know if I got the job. Got I'm so much happier now then where I was before just miss my boyfriend so much now that I didn't see him everyday.
Topaz the Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30 2007, 04:02 PM   #11
Nina
Talent

Finder

Did I leave out some talent categories from Anne's books???

And is there a psycology talent? Or is it comprised by another category?

Old Sep 30 2007, 05:13 PM   #12
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

I am not talented, but, my 2 year old niece is. She talks to spirits. She will tell mother thing that her mother did not know. Her mother Melissa is some what precog as is my sister, Tammy. The strang thing is neither one of them got any hint about my nephew getting killed in July. They had no warning or anything. I think that is on of the things that bothers Melissa the most. She feels like she should have known.

Kibbie is very talented at coming up with excusses to get of of school work. Doese that count LOL

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30 2007, 06:43 PM   #13
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

I suppose there's all that De-ja vu I get- ever since I was a kid and it is distinct. I dream an exact (totally harmless) incident often months before. Sometimes its every day but the last one was eating wraps and dips at home and my sister was there.

1) we don't normally eat wraps
2) nor dips
3) My sister's left home.

I do get very uncomfortable at times in certain places. One shop in Aber particularly. Sometimes its a great shop (though some of the stuff there will always give me the creeps) and others, well I can't leave quickly enough. Mum feels it. Other people I know, don't.

My experiments work.

But then, I don't think its anything spcial. Just biology and care.
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1 2007, 01:15 AM   #14
Gwina
Talent Telempath-Healer

Fan of: white dragon, tower/hive
Now Reading: Insurgent, The Last Apprentice, Damia (again)

I love your story Nina and Maximillian. I had this conversation with my mother the other night. She calls it being clairscentient. That's probably a pretty accurate description. She doesn't claim to be psychic by any means. But, she really knows things about people or events. She gets what my family has termed as feelings. It's funny because they're more often than not correct (and that's a lot because she started keeping track).

I think it may have passed on to me a bit. I've always been extremely aware of what others are thinking and what they might be about to do. So much so that I get anxious a lot. Guilt trips are not good for me. I think ahead a lot, almost planning my day down to the seconds so I can be there on time, stay in the best lane of traffic (so as not to offend people who want to turn right at a red light), and manage to keep everyone happy. I know, it sounds like I have some psych issues, right? Well, I'll be proud if I do. haha. Of course, I really need to watch how I project as well. It's gotten a bit out of hand lately since I've been so busy with moving, work and school. Perhaps one day I will be able to control these little peculiarities as well.
"Whatever zapped me seems to have burned off the outlived dross and stupidities any human collects along the way. I don't mind being two hundred and fifteen years old. In fact, it's fun, in a bizarre fashion."
Gwina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1 2007, 06:12 PM   #15
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

Two possible precogs, both involving books. I knew I'd read them months or years befrore I actually did. Both happened when I was between 8 and 15, I think. I'd see a page of the book and maybe the front cover.
Both times I recognized them when I actually read them. I still know the titles too.

Recently I had a bit of a dream after reading Engaging the Enemy, but as that was more actions than words I don't think it'll have anything to do with Command Decision. Time between reading one and the next one coming out is way too narrow too.

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5 2007, 02:24 PM   #16
Topaz the Golden

Fan of: all of them
Now Reading: anything I can get my hands on

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawra View Post
I am not talented, but, my 2 year old niece is. She talks to spirits. She will tell mother thing that her mother did not know. Her mother Melissa is some what precog as is my sister, Tammy. The strang thing is neither one of them got any hint about my nephew getting killed in July. They had no warning or anything. I think that is on of the things that bothers Melissa the most. She feels like she should have known.

Kibbie is very talented at coming up with excusses to get of of school work. Doese that count LOL
DEPENDS ON IF IT CAN BE CHANGE OR NOT.

I know that with 9/11 my younger sister worked in on of the towers she slept late that day. she told me and my mother that my great grandmother told her to stay in bed. funny thing she didn't do the same for my cousin. if it's someone time to go then there is nothing that can be changed. i knew when my great grandmother was going to die, i saw death come in to her hostiptal room with a clip board and check for her name. scary part for me was death did a double take at me and pulled out an other list to check. that was 8 years ago. i know when i was just a baby i had a bad reaction to one of my shots and had a siezure( not sure of spelling) and had turned blue for a few mintues scared the hell out of my mom and dad.

Last edited by Topaz the Golden; Oct 5 2007 at 02:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Topaz the Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7 2007, 02:49 PM   #17
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Melissa is seeing a counceler who also sees spirts who also said that you will only see thing that are not suppsoe to happen. If It is someones time then it can not be changed. She also told Melissa that Jeremy was still hanging around her & had not left. I think after talking to her Melissa is feeling better.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

Old Oct 8 2007, 02:16 PM   #18
jenna
Inactive

Fan of: Dragonsinger/Dragonsong

I don't know some small tallent here perhaps T6 empath I think. nothing thats usfull but very very intune with others feelings. Large crowds are unsettling People also appear to respond when I 'broadcast' (for lack of a better term) ie calming thoughts, excitment ect.
jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9 2007, 03:19 PM   #19
Nina
Talent

Finder

I have been wondering how to describe the empath part. However, I do think that empath is my main talent. People seem to know that I can help or listen, so I must be broadcasting empathy. Ever since I was a teenager, people needing help or just directions would pick me out from a crowd of available people. In the beginning I was amazed every time, and I did not understand how it was so obvious to others that I am a helper. Even in cities unknown to me or abroad, I am picked out and approached by someone needing help or directions.

For eleven years I have volunteered as a counsellor for groups of grieving people, who have lost a dear loved one to a sometimes violent death, and in my present job I do a lot of counselling. I listen a lot, I take time to listen. I almost always know what this particular person really and truly needs and feels deep down. I just know!

I must seem easy to talk to and to confide in. A lady on a fairly empty bus just started talking to me about her critically ill husband, and not just the surface stuff like pushy nagging people do, but the deep down fears, feelings and hurts. I had not said a word or even looked at her, before she started, but somehow she knew that she could talk to me.

Receiving peoples emotions can be too heavy sometimes. In crowds I tend to get confused a lot, but I find that humming a specific note or two in long breaths makes it bearable to be surrounded by emotional and telepathic noise.

My son seems to be an empath as well. He is already helping his school friends on a deep level. Needless to say I am proud of him

Old Oct 14 2007, 01:41 PM   #20
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Fan of: Skies of Pern: what else?
Now Reading: My computer screen

Lanen has a talent for finding empty parking spaces. (She does have healing talent as well, which is a little more important.)
Old Oct 14 2007, 04:41 PM   #21
Lanen
Kaelar of Kolmar

Fan of: The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Winds of Change and Shaping

Nah, it's not really a talent - just a genetic connection with the Goddess of Parking Places. Healing, now, that's different.
Old Oct 15 2007, 07:13 PM   #22
Menderofillusions

Fan of: Freedom's, Doona, Petaybe
Now Reading: The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stien

I believe that everyone is a little talented, exspecially when we're young.
I have always had strong empathy with family members. Some strangers too. I call them spidey senses.

I used to precog all the time when I was young untill...
There was a maintanace man working in the apartments I lived in in Washington who was Autistic and the kids teased him always. Only two of us were nice to him. We moved to Arizona that summer and I had the same dream every night. I dreamed that Jim tryed to hug a blonde woman in a red suit. she started screaming so he grabed her mouth from behind and accidently broke her neck.
My mother would calm me and say that Jimmy would'nt do such a thing. After three weeks of this my mother got irritated, that her 9 yr old would wake her every night with the same silliness. Untill my aunt sent the newspaper clipping. It was per diem what I had described. Unfortunately my mother was not open minded. She slapped the crap out of me calling me the devil and not to tell her any of my evil dreams again.
Needless to say, I have blocked so much that I only get spidey senses now.
I am glad for it. To have knowlege of the future and not be able to change it is too much. Not to mention the reaction you get telling them your psychic.

Everyone has the capability to use those areas of the brain. Maybe we're not ready yet. (With great power comes great responsibilty) There are those that do not believe in the possibility... They also believe that there is no other sentiant life in the universe.
Menderofillusions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18 2007, 02:21 AM   #23
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

If by "linguist" you mean someone with a knack for languages, that's me. There's nothing particularly unusual about it. I just tend to pick up language, accents, and speech rhythms quickly.

My mother has had some funny things happen with her. In my case, unless you count some odd dreams and the odd bad feeling, no. I'm a Meyers-Briggs E type, though, and we're sorta psychic vampires, in an analogy sense (I'm not saying I actually believe we're sucking energy from people, because that's silly, but we like to do emotional dumps.)
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18 2007, 03:17 PM   #24
Shalyn

Location: Loo-a-vull / Luhvuhl / Loo-ih-ville / Loo-a-ville / Looeyville / Lewisville Oh, Heck. Kentuckiana.
Fan of: Dragonflight

I have heavy Empath and Precog, with a smattering of Telepath.

But I'm on a call right now so I'll explain later.
Shalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20 2007, 10:07 PM   #25
Cherlyn
Crafter

Fan of: P.E.R.N.
Now Reading: 'Winds of Fate'by Mercedes Lackey

Empath. I can 'feel' someone moving about and recognize their aura. I've often felt, heard, and/or caught a glimpse of my mom in Dad's house.
My parents had that raport where they could converse without speaking right over my head. It used to give me fits. I have now developed that with my hubby. We often start to talk at the same time using the same words to speak or ask about the same thing. That is what drove our coworkers buggy. Once we announced we were getting married, the response was not "You're what?!?" but "it's about time you two made up your mind!" Now we deive Boo buggy.
Sometimes I can hear someone speak Spanish and know the gist of what they are saying though I never took Spanish or any other language. I can do French and German the same way.
Cherlyn (Cheryl #2 - "The Okie One") aka The Cheesaholic, Chocoholic Packrat and seeker of anti-ques and junque...
Click:. . .F.R.O.G. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .@<. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
"I just got back from the hospital. I had a speed reading accident; I hit a bookmark." ~ Unknown
Cherlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28 2007, 03:48 PM   #26
Gwina
Talent Telempath-Healer

Fan of: white dragon, tower/hive
Now Reading: Insurgent, The Last Apprentice, Damia (again)

Just thought I'd add...I read somewhere recently that with all the earth changes (not too mention energy fluctuations) the intuitive tendency we all have will become more magnified. Hmmm...only time will tell.
"Whatever zapped me seems to have burned off the outlived dross and stupidities any human collects along the way. I don't mind being two hundred and fifteen years old. In fact, it's fun, in a bizarre fashion."
Gwina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17 2007, 11:08 PM   #27
Cynth
Rocksquat

Fan of: Planet Pirates
Now Reading: Alternative Care For Ruminants - Dr. Dettloff

I guess I should have expected there would be a thread about this subject.

As I have said a couple of times, I no longer believe in coincidences. I have experienced too many cases of interconnectedness to think anything is a coincidence anymore.

I am very empathic with similar experiences to what Nina has described, people seem to always turn to me for help no matter where I am or what the circumstances.

I can also project my emotions so strongly others can feel them, as a result I have few close friends. I am closest to my adopted sister, who is definitely psychic and has learned ways to live with me. (that doesn't sound very good does it?)

When I was young I regularly had bouts of De Ja Vu, but I went through a phase of trying to deny it and now it just happens occasionally.

Not surprising, I can also "hear" plants, but most especially mature trees.

I have never attempted to rate these "talents" on any scale. Only thing I can say is that I experience them in waves, really strong for a while and then they almost disappear, to re-appear when I am not expecting it. Which is where training would probably be beneficial.

However, I have developed something else that I don't have a name for. It's fairly new to me and so I may not be very clear in describing it, but it has puzzled me for a little while now. Maybe one of you can tell me what it's called? I would like to understand it better, if possible.

I can sense the origins of some people, especially if they have a strong Celtic background. Quite often I think I have met them before, not in this lifetime, but a long, long time ago. There's more to it than that...
For example, I met a young man very recently who I do not see clearly in front of me with my eyes...I can literally see him as a boy and as the young man he is now and as the mature man he could/will become...it's kind of like double vision. I find it very hard to talk to him because I lose sight of who, boy/youth/man, I am actually talking with.
I get creeped out by it, I think because I don't understand it and I end up walking away from him, before I finish what I am trying to communicate to him. It is becoming embarrassing.

I will appreciate any suggestions or help you can give me with this.
I'll go as far as to say that I suspect this is one of the reasons why after all these years I have finally joined MoM.
Crazy, eh?

Last edited by Cynth; Nov 17 2007 at 11:20 PM. Reason: additions
Cynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23 2007, 12:09 PM   #28
Nina
Talent

Finder

Lightbulb Re: Any real talents in here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynth View Post
I am very empathic with similar experiences to what Nina has described, people seem to always turn to me for help no matter where I am or what the circumstances.

I can sense the origins of some people, especially if they have a strong Celtic background. Quite often I think I have met them before, not in this lifetime, but a long, long time ago. There's more to it than that... For example, I met a young man very recently who I do not see clearly in front of me with my eyes...I can literally see him as a boy and as the young man he is now and as the mature man he could/will become...it's kind of like double vision. I find it very hard to talk to him because I lose sight of who, boy/youth/man, I am actually talking with. I get creeped out by it, I think because I don't understand it and I end up walking away from him, before I finish what I am trying to communicate to him. It is becoming embarrassing.

I will appreciate any suggestions or help you can give me with this.
Hi Cynth

I know what you mean, but I do not have a world for it. For me it is part of the empathy. By being able to see where people come from/the child inside, the youth, the maturity, the very old person - then you are actually able to help better. You can see what is there to build on. You see the true person inside and can give the right, true councelling/help/encouragement for the person to get back on track or on with life.

The difficulty in having a talent is to develop it and use it wisely, to get to know yourself, ponder and refine from experiences good or bad. As I believe in God myself, I pray for guidance. I pray for God to send me the right persons to guide me. I pray for God only to send me the persons whom I can help. On the more practical side I go to councelling myself to work through issues and with techniques, as I have now chosen to make it my living to talk to people and help them any way I can. Might as well as I am doing it all the time anyway LOL

Take care and enjoy the many wonderful people around you!

Old Nov 23 2007, 07:51 PM   #29
Cynth
Rocksquat

Nina - Thank you so much for your kind response.

I have gone for counseling in the past when I have had troubles and am actually going again at this time. But I have never discussed my Talent for fear of not being believed.

I can see how visualizing the "whole life" of a person like I do sometimes, could help someone who is a therapist or counselor, however, I normally do not do that kind of thing, especially not as a career choice or in day to day life and have no desire to counsel people.

Also, I find the experience very confusing, (perhaps because I am untrained???) so much so that I loose focus on whatever task I am attempting with the person.

I met the young man I mentioned over 4 months ago and have reason to work with him, once a week or sometimes more often. So far I have managed, somewhat, but I can think of 2 different times when I just couldn't continue the job and had to walk away, to the confusion of all around me. I didn't dare explain why I left.

It is not an issue most of the time because I don't have many occasions where I work directly with others, so when it happens it is usually with people in passing or not in my direct circle of close acquaintances/friends.

When it has happened with new friends, the relationship usually dissolves, sometimes in a negative way. I don't like or want that to happen.
Old Nov 23 2007, 09:06 PM   #30
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Cynth, your talent reminds of one in a set of books you might perhaps enjoy. The character, Peregrine, is an artist, who not only sees people at different stages of his life, but also in past lives (reincarnation is a central tenet of the books). He has to be trained into understanding and dealing with his gift in the first book, because it's making him suicidal.

The books are the Adept series (first book titled The Adept) by Katherine Kurtz and Deborah Turner Harris.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24 2007, 02:31 AM   #31
Cynth
Rocksquat

Thanks Cheryl - I sure can relate to that. I'll admit I was suicidal at one point in my life but am, thankfully, past that now. I have too many good things going on in my life to give up.

I will definitely look for those books next time I'm in town.

Most of my life I have tried to deny or hide my Talent. It was because of the birth of my grandson and this more recent expansion of Talent that I started looking more seriously at my past and managed to go back a long way...
My family name can be traced back to about 1000 bc. Beyond that there is very little written documentation to follow. However, I have pieced together some things from reading about Celtic lore known in the region of the origin of my family name. Knowing this history has given me a good foundation to carry on with into the future.

I feel really good about my own present time and future. Plus, I can pass all this family information on to my grandson as time goes by, because I can already see/feel Talent beginning in him. He is going to turn 5 soon. I am not 100% sure how it will manifest but I do have some insight into it. Unlike my daughters, he will be a lot stronger than I am.
Old Nov 30 2007, 02:24 PM   #32
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I have a grand niece, Madison, who I have mentioned before. She talks to spirts. She in only 3 years old. Madison's mother just found out she is pregnut again. When she told Madison Madison told her Mother that there was a brother & a sister in her tummy. Melissa went to the Dr.'s yesterday. The Dr. told Melissa that she was either going to have on realy big baby or twins. Any guesses on wich it will be.

Old Dec 1 2007, 10:07 PM   #33
Cynth
Rocksquat

Quote:
I have a grand niece, Madison, who I have mentioned before. She talks to spirts. She in only 3 years old. Madison's mother just found out she is pregnut again. When she told Madison Madison told her Mother that there was a brother & a sister in her tummy. Melissa went to the Dr.'s yesterday. The Dr. told Melissa that she was either going to have on realy big baby or twins. Any guesses on wich it will be.
Incredible! I will be very interested to here the results once she gives birth!!!
Old Dec 2 2007, 04:24 AM   #34
caro39
Darbul

Fan of: Freedom Series, Pern
Now Reading: Stephanie Plum series

As a child, I often had dreams where little snippets would come true - I'd be in a room with certain people and certain things were said, or I'd see a scene somewhere specific. This would happen several times a month, although sometimes it took months for a certain thing to happen. I remember waking up one morning and thinking about a dream I'd had and saying to myself "that could NEVER happen". It did. As an adult, this still happens but not as much, but I have found that I can sometimes tell the gender of unborn babies. I've had a few other experiences similar, but the strongest have been with babies. I knew when I was pregnant with my first child (even when the test said negative) and it about drove me crazy. When my sister told me she was pregnant, I immediately knew it was a girl. Last December I saw my pregnant sister-in-law and said "so, you're having a girl?" She looked at me very strangely and said "no, it's a boy" and I just nodded my head, all the time thinking "Nope, you're wrong, sorry." She had her daughter in April. It doesn't happen often, and it's a bit scary when it does - it's not in my head or my heart, but in my gut. Hormonal resonance? I don't know, I only know it's mostly with girls.
caro39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3 2007, 03:03 PM   #35
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

We will find out in June i\what Melissa is having. That is when she is due. She think it is going to be on her brother's (Jeremy) birthday.

Old Dec 9 2007, 12:20 PM   #36
Aristokat
Dragonrider

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: The Years of Rice and Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximillian View Post

My youngest son seems to be quite proficient at finding things, which has become his duty around the house whenever someone loses something. He unerringly can find it within a few minutes.
May I borrow him? I lost my keys a month ago!

Quote:
We will find out in June i\what Melissa is having. That is when she is due. She think it is going to be on her brother's (Jeremy) birthday.
Won't she be having a sonogram?

-
I don't think I have any particular 'Talent.'
Aristokat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14 2007, 11:56 PM   #37
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

The Dr. says she is having 1 baby, but, Madison say that Grandaddy Joe told that she was going to have a brother & a sister.
At this stage I think that it is possible for one to be behind the other & not show up on an ultrasound. Melissa is already bigger now than she was when she was 5 mon. along with Madison.

Old Dec 16 2007, 05:44 PM   #38
sjslack
JourneyWoman woodsmith

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: as usual

I don't really have any 'talent' as such, though I find sometimes I can 'lean' on people. (Which I associate more with Lessa in DRoP). Although something amusing did happen at the start of Uni...

At Uni, we have a 3-week rota for the food they serve us, although within those three weeks, the days are never the same and whatnot.

Well, I had a dream one evening about going into our communal kitchen and making something to eat. I made a Yorkshire pudding with Sausages, onions and gravy.

I went to dinner the next day and guess what they were serving? Yup, that exact same meal, which we hadn't had before, so we didn't know it'd be on the menu. I didn't know whether to find it creepy or hilarious. It isn't exactly a common meal life fish and chips or something.
sjslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16 2007, 05:59 PM   #39
Allana
Greenrider 'Lana

Candidate

Fan of: Crystal, Pern, Dino P.
Now Reading: The Death of Artemio Cruz, Fuentes

Hmm, I wish I had a useful talent. All I seem to be able to do is see myself trip over a stair three seconds before it actually happens!
Allana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17 2007, 10:55 AM   #40
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

That could be usefull. It could prevent you from tripping over the stairs!