A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old May 14 2018, 03:26 PM   #1
pernever
Muskie

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: Prince Arthur: The Tudor King who never was
Default Margatta of Fort Weyr

I have been recently rereading my Pern books and have been wondering how the situation unfolded for Margatta becoming Weyrwoman after the exile to the south of Marda and T'ron did she come forward in time with them or did she impress during the ninth pass?

Also I have wondered how her relationship unfolded with N'ton and Ludeth's with Lioth was it more like Moreta and Sh'gall's or more of a romance?
pernever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2018, 03:14 PM   #2
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Re: Margatta of Fort Weyr

I don't think it is mentioned that Margatta came forward with the oldtimers. So, if it is not mentioned we should assume she was not an oldtimer?
Her dragon Ludeth is called Luduth in the UK and US editions of The Whiet Dragon. She is mentioned in Dragonquest, The White Dragond, Dragondrums and Skies of Pern.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2018, 10:29 AM   #3
Kimi
Muskie

Fan of: Dragonsong
Now Reading: Dragonsinger
Default Re: Margatta of Fort Weyr

I find the minor characters among the Oldtimers difficult to track.

First, supposedly, the entire Weyrs, with all their inhabitants, came forward. That's thousands of people, some of whom may have NOT gone forward (who knows, a kitchen drudge has a romantic attachment in a near Hold, why would they go forward -,- and who would notice, either way?). Second, couldn't a rider or inhabitant have left the Old Weyrs after coming forward, or joined one upon their reappearance?

Aside from the conflicts that arise, there's so little information about those Weyrs. Certainly not information about relationships and mobility between Weyrs, especially Benden. My biggest question has been how much inter-Weyr activity and movement there was before the exile. How about Searches? Inter-Weyr mating flights? It's a point of conflict that certain Oldtimer Weyrleaders won't allow open flights with Benden, but what about with each other? Or junior Oldtimer queens with Benden? Hard to imagine in the early, happy days, with their newfound knowledge of genetics, that would NOT have been encouraged.

And why is Orlith so much larger? We know larger is built into each successive generation until design completion, but isn't it odd that the largest dragons would clutch in the generation the Red Star is defeated? And why the heck wasn't the draconic ability to lift 'any' weight noted during Crossing? In fact, dragon fatigue is used as an excuse for some nasty hunting of domestic animals in the middle of that resource crisis. But I digress....

Anyway, since Orlith has several clutches hatch before all the conflict, and the Weyrs interact so much (and across times), it's hard to imagine there was no human movement or inter-breeding, human or dragon.

None of which answers your question! I'm just imagining the possibilities, amplified by the unusual cultural-political circumstances and draconic abilities.
Kimi is offline   Reply With Quote