A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Mar 4 2009, 11:50 PM   #441
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Fan of: Pern, obviously.
Now Reading: That's classified.
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda View Post
Yeah, there's one set that has that bright orange-red hair. I always pictured brown hair.
I always pictured brown as well.
ElectricDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5 2009, 12:30 AM   #442
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

GHarris...I do like Tori Amos face shape and innocent look...but she is just to old for me to do a realistic portrait of Menolly from.

The red hair...is ok...but I have to agree with Brenda...I always saw it as a golden brown color. Does anyone remember if it's mentioned what color hair she had...if I know Anne, she does tell somewhere???

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5 2009, 12:39 AM   #443
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Fan of: DroP/Canth fangirl
Now Reading: Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricDragon View Post
psst...I know that. Just sharing a moment on the matter with the esteemed companion from Arizona.

OK, hush. I can never tell with you if that's supposed to be a compliment or not. . .

And on Menolly, I agree with Brenda- I always saw lots of mid-brown, curly hair(between all those fire-lizards)
Weyrlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5 2009, 07:07 AM   #444
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyrlady View Post
OK, hush. I can never tell with you if that's supposed to be a compliment or not. . .

And on Menolly, I agree with Brenda- I always saw lots of mid-brown, curly hair(between all those fire-lizards)
I'm not aware of there being any quarrel between us, so why would you assume it wasn't complimentary? I was just teasing Anareth about the obvious.
Old Mar 5 2009, 11:07 PM   #445
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Weyrlady...yes Brenda was right, it is dark brown shortish curly shorter hair. I didn't remember it being red...but its been over a year since I last read it, and there have been a lot of books in between then and now.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Mar 6 2009, 01:11 AM   #446
Brenda

I don't think the hair color was ever mentioned in the books, but we know she cut it with a belt knife while living in the cave - so I figure it's fairly short, but not too short because that would be difficult to manage. A short shoulder length, and curly because of the length; long enough by the time she got to the Harper Hall that Beauty can hide under it.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7 2009, 10:37 PM   #447
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling

You know who's someone who I've wondered about more recently. . . who would make a good Brekke?

I'm thinking she is portrayed unfairly (as well as not exactly in the most positive of lights) in Dragonquest.Personally, I've never really gotten a clear mental image of her when I read the books, and the only picture that I've ever seen of Brekke is the one in PoP. Personality-wise, she always reminded me of a friend that I had in high school who was very shy and insecure. Like my friend, I kinda hope that Brekke outgrows her inhibitions- this "class-A dependency" can't go on forever can it?

I'm a very independent person, and Brekke's clinginess (and to some degree, F'nor's enabling of it) grates on my nerves. Just my opinion, though. I think that F'nor could do better, and there's another of my opinions.

Anyway, regardless of what I think, who do y'all think would be a good Brekke?
Old Mar 7 2009, 11:31 PM   #448
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Oh lord Weyrlady...not another character to think of................

Brekke, I have always liked her. I think I am one of the fewthough. In my opinion she is fine strong woman, when left to her own comfortalbe niche in life. She was picked to be a hatching candidate, taken out of her known life and bonded with Wirenth. She adjust to her new life, only to discover that when the time comes she will have to be sexually connected to her dragons whims in mating...whether or not she wants to or with who.
That puts her at odds with her own feelings, beliefs and desires. That would just about put almost any woman I know off her feet so to speak...it would certainly drive me to the brink.
Lessa was lucky...she and Ramoth knew who they wanted, and luckily for them that was who wanted both of them as well.
Brekke, was all alone after going to the Southern contenent, and having to deal with Kylara each and everyday...but she makes another niche for herself and deals with life as it is. Lord I'm surprised that she didn't crack like an egg then with all that stress...instead she was the one that kept the weyr together...and running properly.
I admire Brekke greatly...and when I do find her face, I will most certainly want to do my own portrait of her.

NOW.........got anyone in mind......I haven't started looking for her yet...

Old Mar 8 2009, 10:07 PM   #449
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Quote:
You know who's someone who I've wondered about more recently. . . who would make a good Brekke?

I'm thinking she is portrayed unfairly (as well as not exactly in the most positive of lights) in Dragonquest.Personally, I've never really gotten a clear mental image of her when I read the books, and the only picture that I've ever seen of Brekke is the one in PoP. Personality-wise, she always reminded me of a friend that I had in high school who was very shy and insecure. Like my friend, I kinda hope that Brekke outgrows her inhibitions- this "class-A dependency" can't go on forever can it?

I'm a very independent person, and Brekke's clinginess (and to some degree, F'nor's enabling of it) grates on my nerves. Just my opinion, though. I think that F'nor could do better, and there's another of my opinions.

Anyway, regardless of what I think, who do y'all think would be a good Brekke?
Brekke...one of the characters I like the least. But plenty of potential casting choices:

Grace Park
Li Bing Bing
Zhang Ziyi
Liu Li Fei

I'd go with the latter; she's the youngest.

Last edited by ElectricDragon; Mar 8 2009 at 10:08 PM. Reason: addition.
Old Mar 8 2009, 11:00 PM   #450
GHarris

Fan of: The White Dragon
Now Reading: Skies of Pern

Quote:
Brekke...one of the characters I like the least. But plenty of potential casting choices:

Grace Park
Li Bing Bing
Zhang Ziyi
Liu Li Fei

I know that Robin Wood's painting has Brekke as being from the far east. Do the books actually describe her that way? If so, I completely missed it.

GH
GHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9 2009, 03:11 AM   #451
Brenda

Just that she has dark hair, I think it was curly around her face.
Old Mar 9 2009, 07:14 AM   #452
Emeraldrose
Holder
Drudge

Fan of: Dragonriders Series
Now Reading: The Great Hunt Robert Jordan

that's funny...for some reason I thought she was blond!!
Emeraldrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9 2009, 09:54 AM   #453
GHarris

Quote:

Grace Park
Li Bing Bing
Zhang Ziyi
Liu Li Fei

Any of those would be good if they decide to go with an asian actress.

For a western actress, Winona Ryder might be an interesting choice. It seems that she is good at playing the "needy virgin" type of role (i.e. BS's Dracula).

GH
Old Mar 9 2009, 07:04 PM   #454
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling

I don't really have time to go look this up right now, so this is coming completely out of my head!

I remember when I got PoP, the portrait of Brekke having slanted, Asian eyes came as a total surprise to me; I don't think she's described in the books. I kind of had the idea she was dark-haired (although I have no idea where that idea came from), so you may be right, Brenda!! Good a thought as aNy, I suppose. Then again maybe she's blonde; I have no clue!
Old Mar 10 2009, 08:02 PM   #455
Brenda

I remember it's in one of the early scenes with her and F'nor - it may even be our first sight of her, at Benden Weyr.
Old Mar 10 2009, 11:23 PM   #456
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

These are all the passages from Dragonquest, that remark on Brekke, her looks and personality that I could find.

Quote:
Anne McCaffrey's Dragonquest....There was, however, a sweetness about Brekke’s solemn face, unexpectedly framed with dark curly hair, that F’nor did find appealing.

he liked her self-effacing modesty

Brekke theBony, with no more roundness at the breast than a boy . Why, even Lessa looked more feminine.

She was such a serious child, too old for her years.

that boy-thing Brekke had Impressed Wirenth,

. Brekke looked so young, much too young . .
She is the same age as Lessa was when Mnementh first flew Ramoth

a very sweet person

a serene competent personality, tranquilly keeping the Weyr going,

“Useful, worthwhile, wholesome, capable, dependable, the list is categoric

such a shadow in her usuallycandid green eyes

against her soft hair

calm, serious, reliable Brekke he knew

as kind and generous, as wholesome as ever

Brekke’s broad commoner face...
These passages do tell about her eye and hair color also that she was very thin.

Old Mar 10 2009, 11:34 PM   #457
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Maybe, when Robin Wood did the portrait of *Brekke* she recieved information about her looks from Anne...perhaps thats why in that portrait of Brekke, she has slanted eyes.
I would say that from the look of Brekke's face from that portrait, she would have at least some earth orental gentic background. Perhaps she is a decendant in Wind Blossom's blood line?
Since Robin drew her that way, I think I would honor her and Anne's choice, by only consider a young girl with those similar features for the movie and for my portrait of her.

Old Mar 13 2009, 03:15 AM   #458
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling

I could be completely wrong in this (and I fully admit it), but it's going to be tough to find someone who's of Asian heritage and who's eyes' show it AND who's eyes are green. I suppose there's contacts for a reason.

And then I thought, where are we going to find an actress who's so. . . wimpy-sorry!- inhibited. . . about what is (the way that I see it!) basically part of the partnership that she has with her dragon.Welcome to the adult world, hon.
Old Mar 13 2009, 07:52 PM   #459
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

OOooooOO your tough Weyrlady... I see Brekke, as responsable, strong, honest and caring...someone who has taken care of her weyr, its people and all of the wounded that show up to be cared for. That her crafthall rearing taught her a different morality, than the weyr knows, is not her fault and IMO, she deals with it as best she can. I think it would have been better for her moral point of view, if F'nor wouldn't have made love to her...because then she really didn't want anyone else to bed her.

As far as the green eyes go...perhaps by that time on Pern, she would have a few genetic traits, left over... from several different genitic, ancestor generations. If I'm not mistakes doesn't Robin show her with not only green eyes...but red hair as well. Odd combination by our standards...but maybe not on Pern?

Old Mar 14 2009, 10:54 PM   #460
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post
OOooooOO your tough Weyrlady... I see Brekke, as responsable, strong, honest and caring...someone who has taken care of her weyr, its people and all of the wounded that show up to be cared for. That her crafthall rearing taught her a different morality, than the weyr knows, is not her fault and IMO, she deals with it as best she can. I think it would have been better for her moral point of view, if F'nor wouldn't have made love to her...because then she really didn't want anyone else to bed her.

As far as the green eyes go...perhaps by that time on Pern, she would have a few genetic traits, left over... from several different genitic, ancestor generations. If I'm not mistakes doesn't Robin show her with not only green eyes...but red hair as well. Odd combination by our standards...but maybe not on Pern?
I'm just as tough on Brekke. She hid behind her responsibilities to Weyr and patients in order to avoid the greater one: growing up and discarding her inhibitions for the good of the most important person in her life: Wirenth. Brekke refused because ultimately the most important person in her life was herself. Wirenth paid the price. Who knows, had Brekke been less inhibited and/or discarded her inhibitions, she could possibly have provoked Wirenth to rise earlier, perhaps at Southern when Prideth and Kylara weren't around.
Old Mar 15 2009, 12:15 AM   #461
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

E.D. I still see Brekke, as a person trapped by the morals of her upbringing. It's easy to say a person can change their moral values...but it's acutality a very difficult thing to do if at all.
This excerpt from Dragonquest illustrates the tone of what I mean....

Andemon asks Lessa...how is Brekke? When F’now states that Brekke won’t suicide now...Andemon answers “That would be unthinkable”
Quote Dragonquest... “Lessa caught F’nor’s eye and he remembered he was talking to a commoner.”
There was a complete difference for the *Commoner’s * way of thinking, than there was at the weyrs. Brekke was raised a commoner…and a woman…allowing herself to become as sexually free as those raised in a weyr, would be unthinkable to her.

I don’t really see where she had any real choices here. F’nor took her only real choice away when he made love to her. She would have been caught in the throws of Wirenth matting flight and been able to adjust to it with whoever mated with her then, but F’nor basically captured her heart and mind first.
I don’t really think this has anything to do with her *Growing Up*, as you suggest...it has more to do with how she was raised IMO…you just don’t change those kinds of things easily or sometimes not at all. I admired Brekke...and I'm sorry that so many others that have read about her think she was so *Wimpy* or like you suggested...cared more for herself, than her dragon. I think this is an unfair or unjust take on this character.

Old Mar 15 2009, 02:43 AM   #462
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Quote:
E.D. I still see Brekke, as a person trapped by the morals of her upbringing. It's easy to say a person can change their moral values...but it's acutality a very difficult thing to do if at all.
This excerpt from Dragonquest illustrates the tone of what I mean....

Andemon asks Lessa...how is Brekke? When F’now states that Brekke won’t suicide now...Andemon answers “That would be unthinkable”
Quote Dragonquest... “Lessa caught F’nor’s eye and he remembered he was talking to a commoner.”
There was a complete difference for the *Commoner’s * way of thinking, than there was at the weyrs. Brekke was raised a commoner…and a woman…allowing herself to become as sexually free as those raised in a weyr, would be unthinkable to her.

I don’t really see where she had any real choices here. F’nor took her only real choice away when he made love to her. She would have been caught in the throws of Wirenth matting flight and been able to adjust to it with whoever mated with her then, but F’nor basically captured her heart and mind first.
I don’t really think this has anything to do with her *Growing Up*, as you suggest...it has more to do with how she was raised IMO…you just don’t change those kinds of things easily or sometimes not at all. I admired Brekke...and I'm sorry that so many others that have read about her think she was so *Wimpy* or like you suggested...cared more for herself, than her dragon. I think this is an unfair or unjust take on this character.

•••• O- make F'nor the bad guy now! NO- I'm kidding! Please don't be offended, Lady M.****

People see a lot of things in someone like Brekke, that's part of the coolness of the character. I, personally, am more like Lessa. In DQ, she is confessing to-Robinton, I believe- all her worries, and one of the thinhgs is that she is worried over F'nor and Brekke- because as she puts it,"Brekke just lays there and does nothing. The dragons say that she's not asleep; she just does nothing" And F'nor, being F'nor, and a nice guy (too nice sometimes), coos and "Oh, you poor little thing, you've lost your dragon" pity party). And then Lessa says that she thinks that losing her dragon would of course be devastating, but not the worst thing in the world, and that she'd like to slap some sense into Brekke! And that has to be one of my favorite "Lessa-moments", because I'm cheering her on!!

OK, so here's my take on Brekke- I too have survived a life-changing experience, so I've kinda "been in her shoes" and I do know a thing or two about dealing with the depression that follows such a thing, and sometimes I'd like to. . . to toss her off the Weyr rim to make her shape up. I don't handle inaction well, and another thing that I believe there's no excuse for is self-centered behavior.

So. Yes- I'm tough on Brekke, and I think F'nor should be too.

P.S. Some drill sargeant of a Weyrwoman I'd be- I'd make her give me 10 pushups! "Oh, and F'nor? You too. Builds character."
Old Mar 15 2009, 05:51 PM   #463
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Quote:
P.S. Some drill sargeant of a Weyrwoman I'd be- I'd make her give me 10 pushups! "Oh, and F'nor? You too. Builds character."
I knew there was some reason I liked you!
Old Mar 16 2009, 01:43 AM   #464
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Quote:
I knew there was some reason I liked you!

Thanks!
Old Mar 16 2009, 01:47 AM   #465
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Weyrlady.....OH LORD...no offense of any kind, taken at all.

I love having these kinds of discussions...it gives me all kinds of extra takes on the characters. Besides you never know what you might have missed readding/seeing in one of them...that someone else has. To me if you don't have an open mind about things...why bother thinking at all...

I have been rolling...seriously...I can just see you standing on the rim...makeing both of them give you *50*...!!!

I just never saw her as a whimp...or feeling sorry for herself. Lord her dragon just died and she's in some serious trama.
When she does pop out of it...she becomes a genuine help to others with her healing skills.
If you remember Lytol was no barrel of laughs either...and his Dragon had been gone a long, long time.
I just see her as very serious, and quiet, she was always somewhat quite.

But I will always give you room on the floor, with eager and respectful ears...I really enjoy talking about the characters...especially when we can all try and put a face to them as well.

This has been the most fun I have had with Pern...other than my artwork...in ages!!!

Old Mar 16 2009, 08:34 PM   #466
Sandi

I haven't looked at this thread in some time because I honestly don't pay enough attention to TV and movie stars to make an intelligent suggestion. On the subject of Brekke's character, I feel I have to poke my nose in.

I have always been fond of Brekke and I think she's the absolute opposite of weak and wimpy. She stood by her principles and opinions under almost constant pressure to abandon nearly every value she ever had. That takes incredible strength of character. It's just so much easier to "go with the flow" and it would certainly have make Brekke's life a lot easier if she had done so. Instead, she maintained her personal integrity even when pushed to the very limits of endurance.

While at Southern she accepted the responsibility of tending all sorts of wounded riders (few wimps could stomach that!) as well as a multitude of other activities because she saw things that needed to be done and did them. She could have curled up in a ball of self-pity or turned her back on everyone and everything except her dragon. She could have become another Jora. She could even have taken her beltknife to Kylara. But she didn't do any of those things. As for the sex bit, I believe that, in spite of her misgivings, she would have put her dragon and her Weyr ahead of her personal preferences when the time came. It's what someone like her would have done. And when F'nor "took her" she was in love with him and he knew it.

As far as her physical description, I agree that it's hard to assign Asian features to a person with curly hair and green eyes. It's also worth remembering that some of the less flattering descriptions of her in Dragonquest were Kylara's opinions.

Last edited by Sandi; Mar 16 2009 at 08:42 PM. Reason: irksome dial-up difficulties
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16 2009, 09:00 PM   #467
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi View Post
I haven't looked at this thread in some time because I honestly don't pay enough attention to TV and movie stars to make an intelligent suggestion. On the subject of Brekke's character, I feel I have to poke my nose in.

I have always been fond of Brekke and I think she's the absolute opposite of weak and wimpy. She stood by her principles and opinions under almost constant pressure to abandon nearly every value she ever had. That takes incredible strength of character. It's just so much easier to "go with the flow" and it would certainly have make Brekke's life a lot easier if she had done so. Instead, she maintained her personal integrity even when pushed to the very limits of endurance.

While at Southern she accepted the responsibility of tending all sorts of wounded riders (few wimps could stomach that!) as well as a multitude of other activities because she saw things that needed to be done and did them. She could have curled up in a ball of self-pity or turned her back on everyone and everything except her dragon. She could have become another Jora. She could even have taken her beltknife to Kylara. But she didn't do any of those things. As for the sex bit, I believe that, in spite of her misgivings, she would have put her dragon and her Weyr ahead of her personal preferences when the time came. It's what someone like her would have done. And when F'nor "took her" she was in love with him and he knew it.

As far as her physical description, I agree that it's hard to assign Asian features to a person with curly hair and green eyes. It's also worth remembering that some of the less flattering descriptions of her in Dragonquest were Kylara's opinions.
Sometimes all sticking to your principles gets you is dead right. Problem: You're still dead.

In Brekke's case, I don't think anyone will dispute that she sought to stick by her principles, only that it was the wrong choice. In a relationship you often have to set aside things, even really big things, to make the relationship work. I haven't remained married 16 years by being dead right on every issue with my spouse, nor she with me.

Ultimately, Brekke was on a course to be dead right with respect to Wirenth. Don't forget that there was worry Brekke might panic during the inevitable contretemps of a the mating flight and allow Wirenth to go between. The queens battle was not the sole source of jeopardy to Wirenth. Wirenth was in jeopardy from her rider regardless. We'll never know which way Brekke would have broke in the end because the queens battle did take place. And we're all free to have our personal opinions on which way she would.

Last edited by ElectricDragon; Mar 16 2009 at 09:01 PM. Reason: dropped word
Old Mar 17 2009, 12:09 AM   #468
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Quote:
Sometimes all sticking to your principles gets you is dead right. Problem: You're still dead.

In Brekke's case, I don't think anyone will dispute that she sought to stick by her principles, only that it was the wrong choice. In a relationship you often have to set aside things, even really big things, to make the relationship work. I haven't remained married 16 years by being dead right on every issue with my spouse, nor she with me.

Ultimately, Brekke was on a course to be dead right with respect to Wirenth. Don't forget that there was worry Brekke might panic during the inevitable contretemps of a the mating flight and allow Wirenth to go between. The queens battle was not the sole source of jeopardy to Wirenth. Wirenth was in jeopardy from her rider regardless. We'll never know which way Brekke would have broke in the end because the queens battle did take place. And we're all free to have our personal opinions on which way she would.
Most of the time sticking to your principals is what makes life worth living...and has saved more lives than not. How could you live without pricipals...or self worth.

Her choice of principals was *Wrong* in your mind...not hers, or in some of us out there that don't see her as a whimp or a self indulgent person.
I have to agree with Sandi all the way...I have always seen Brekke as a very strong person...one who cared about others more than herself...especially her dragon.

I think what your meaning in marriage is compromise...no one in a marriage is ever always right...because of compromise. That's what has made my 34 year marriage a constant delight. I have my thoughts he has his...and where we meet in the middle is fantastic...the rest is sharing each others thoughts, some you agree with others you don't... so you compromise

Old Mar 17 2009, 01:17 AM   #469
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Quote:
Most of the time sticking to your principals is what makes life worth living...and has saved more lives than not. How could you live without pricipals...or self worth.

Her choice of principals was *Wrong* in your mind...not hers, or in some of us out there that don't see her as a whimp or a self indulgent person.
I have to agree with Sandi all the way...I have always seen Brekke as a very strong person...one who cared about others more than herself...especially her dragon.

I think what your meaning in marriage is compromise...no one in a marriage is ever always right...because of compromise. That's what has made my 34 year marriage a constant delight. I have my thoughts he has his...and where we meet in the middle is fantastic...the rest is sharing each others thoughts, some you agree with others you don't... so you compromise
Compromise was part of the point, yes, but not entirely. Sometimes sticking to your principles will destroy exactly that which you seek to preserve. If that's the case, you have made the wrong choice.

In Brekke's case, she had no choice. She needed to change her outlook or endanger the life of the more important person in her life and she refused. Ultimately, were Brekke's craft-bred peccadilloes worth the life of her dragon? No. But she was willing to run that risk. She was wrong.

None of which says she wasn't caring and strong in other ways, but in this particular instance she was dead wrong. That's why I find her and Kylara to be not just contrasts but fascinating parallels. For the most part Brekke is a laudable character and you're meant to like and sympathize with her, but ultimately she brought her fate on herself.
Old Mar 17 2009, 09:50 AM   #470
GHarris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi View Post
I just recently came across pictures of an actress that I had forgotten about, but looks like she could have been an inspiration for the Robin Wood portrait of Brekke. Phoebe Cates. There are certain angles from which she is photographed where she looks like she could have either asian or south pacific islander blood.

I also had an interesting thought for F'lon, F'nor, and F'lar.

F'lon - Martin Sheen
F'lar - Charlie Sheen
F'nor - Emilio Estevez (Son of Martin and half-brother of Charlie)

GH

GH
Old Mar 18 2009, 06:03 PM   #471
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Quote:
Compromise was part of the point, yes, but not entirely. Sometimes sticking to your principles will destroy exactly that which you seek to preserve. If that's the case, you have made the wrong choice.

In Brekke's case, she had no choice. She needed to change her outlook or endanger the life of the more important person in her life and she refused. Ultimately, were Brekke's craft-bred peccadilloes worth the life of her dragon? No. But she was willing to run that risk. She was wrong.

None of which says she wasn't caring and strong in other ways, but in this particular instance she was dead wrong. That's why I find her and Kylara to be not just contrasts but fascinating parallels. For the most part Brekke is a laudable character and you're meant to like and sympathize with her, but ultimately she brought her fate on herself.
See thats where we majorly disagree with your speculations...

For one thing, Brekke didn't kill her dragon...it was the second Queen, Prideth and her rider Kylara, that caused the problems.

Secondly...when the time came Brekke was completly caught up in her dragon's first lustful mating flight. She didn't stop or hinder Wirneth in any way...she couldn't stop herself from being caught up in the flight...like all the other Queen riders before her .

And lastly...You can and have only speculated at what might have happened if Wirneth would have mated earlier...but that wouldn't be part of Anne's Dragoquest...it would have been a different story altogether.

Old Mar 18 2009, 06:11 PM   #472
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

WOW GHarris...could you have possibly found a larger
photo...

IMO...sorry...I really don't see Phoebe Cates as Brekke...she is beautiful but just not the right look. Which I also have to disagree with the SHeen family as well, even though I enjoy all their acting, and they are all the right father, sons and half brothers...the looks just aren't right. For one thing their all to short... and all our weyr men [F'lon, F'lar, F'nor] were talking about all are very tall and thin.

Old Mar 18 2009, 07:53 PM   #473
Sandi

I am currently re-reading DQ and everything Lady M said is true. Brekke did everything she was supposed to do, in spite of her personal misgivings. She made Wirenth stick to blooding her kill and she was right with her when she took off. About the only way Wirenth (and her rider) could be blamed for what happened was that it is just possible that Wirenth was holding a deep resentment against Prideth because of the way Kylara constantly imposed on Brekke and she went into a rage when she saw Prideth trying to lure away the bronzes. I think that would be a pretty thin argument for blame, though, because it is established that Queens rising too close together fight. Period. I also think that some of Brekke's inhibitions could actually be blamed on Kylara as well. As the senior Weyrwoman it would be Kylara's responsibility to instruct the junior Queen riders and I hate to think what she would have said on the subject, if she bothered with that duty at all.

I'm sorry, I can't see Charlie Sheen as a dragonrider, certainly not F'lar. If we want an American TV actor, what about the guy who played the lead in J.A.G.? I'm hopeless with Hollywood names but I think somebody will remember him.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18 2009, 09:13 PM   #474
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHarris View Post

I also had an interesting thought for F'lon, F'nor, and F'lar.

F'lon - Martin Sheen
F'lar - Charlie Sheen
F'nor - Emilio Estevez (Son of Martin and half-brother of Charlie)

GH

GH
Um, I think that falls under the category of "Not just no but..."
Old Mar 19 2009, 12:00 AM   #475
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Sandi...his name is David James Elliott....shown here
http://users.tpg.com.au/besn/david_james_elliott_p2.jpg

He's not to bad at all to look at...but I don't seem to be able to find a shot of him with a serious F'lar look to him. It might have been something you could of seen when watching the show... but not found in his smiling promo shots. I will keep looking for one though as he definite has a dragonrider look to him...OH YES!!!

Old Mar 19 2009, 12:03 AM   #476
Brenda

How about this one?

(Sorry, I couldn't get the photo to link.)
Old Mar 19 2009, 10:53 AM   #477
asna
Inactive

Fan of: DF

HAw abaut Michael shanks from SG1 as F'lar? http://http://www.perfectpeople.net/...ael-shanks.htm
asna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19 2009, 07:27 PM   #478
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Ansa...I personally love Michael Shanks...just not for F'lar. I actually considered him for my Sean Connell, but he wasn't guite right for him either.

Old Mar 21 2009, 09:52 PM   #479
Emeraldrose
Holder
Drudge

Fan of: Dragonriders Series
Now Reading: The Great Hunt Robert Jordan

Re-watching this week's episode of The Mentalist and it occurred to me that Robin Tunney would make an excellent Lessa...(she plays Teresa Lisbon on the show)
She is 5'4"
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1467976192/nm0000677
Emeraldrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21 2009, 10:22 PM   #480
Brenda

Ooh, there's an interesting thought...