A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Feb 5 2009, 10:07 PM   #1
Yakima
Junior Member
Darbul
 
Yakima's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Minnesota
Gender: F
Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: Writting my own!
Question ThreadFall Charts & Pern Calander

Hi, I'm new but have a question that may have already been answered somewhere here but it's been wracking my brain for the last few days.

Threadfall Charts...

How do you read them? What do the numbers mean (hours, days...)

I've taken what was in the DLGtP book and a full map of Pern I found on the internet and pieced what I think the full thing should look like. However, the numbers only seem to get to 15 (I assumed the missing areas on the original map were 1,2, and 3. I also went and read the part in DragonFlight where F'lar starts timing it to meet Threadfall in Nerat and other places. I'm not surprised that the maps don't met up because neither Nerat or Keroon or the other places mentioned are within those lines. I almost came to the conclusion that those numbers indicate a four hour Fall and they occur through an entire day (and if you use 24 hours with 1.6 hours between each one, it matches up close enough). But it's still not making sense with DF.

Yeah, I'm starting to get more confused the more I try to figure this out.

Anyway, here is the map I did. I have no idea who did the map actually (I found it on a Google search....) :P If anyone knows how this actually works, I would love it. I would love to stop guessing when Thread is falling for my stories.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...eadfallmap.gif

Also, is there an 'official' Pernese calendar or is that a mystery I just have to guess on. I made a calendar but if it's one of those things Anne never hashed out and left in the air, that's fine. I just like lots of detail.

Thanks!
Yakima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5 2009, 10:25 PM   #2
Lady Maelin
Master Artist


 
Lady Maelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: California
Gender: F
Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !
Default Re: ThreadFall Charts & Pern Calander

Welcome to MoM...Yakima...very nice map.

Try this for your map...
http://forums.srellim.org/showthread...light=Calendar

I think this is what your refering to...this is the only Pern Calendar that I know of....so far.
__________________
"To the Horsehead Nebula and back we shall make beautiful music"..."Together!"

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5 2009, 10:33 PM   #3
Yakima
Junior Member
Darbul
 
Yakima's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Minnesota
Gender: F
Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: Writting my own!
Default Re: ThreadFall Charts & Pern Calander

*grins* I kinda meant an actuall Pernese calander used by the Pernese. But thanks. I would show what I created but the image I have for it is old as I went back and revised it because I was short a day in the year... >.<

And thanks for the welcome. :P
Yakima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5 2009, 11:22 PM   #4
Lady Maelin
Master Artist


 
Lady Maelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: California
Gender: F
Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !
Default Re: ThreadFall Charts & Pern Calander

Yakima... you made up a calendar...that would be wonderful to see...even an old one. Sorry I thought you ment a real one that you could buy....if you can find one that is.
__________________
"To the Horsehead Nebula and back we shall make beautiful music"..."Together!"

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6 2009, 06:32 AM   #5
Maleus
Member
Soul-Eaters
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: France, close to Paris
Gender: M
Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: Green Mars - Kim Stanley Robinson
Default Re : ThreadFall Charts & Pern Calander

I would be quite interested in the answer to this question too! I am able to "guess" how to read Thread fall charts, but it is quite hard when it comes to precise reading. How can one foresee a fall from these? Between numbers and fall line patterns, I am lost.
Maleus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6 2009, 05:06 PM   #6
Yakima
Junior Member
Darbul
 
Yakima's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Minnesota
Gender: F
Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: Writting my own!
Default Re: ThreadFall Charts & Pern Calander

Heh, well, this is the one I just redid as I was missing a day in the previous one.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...alandernew.gif

*nods* I feel the same Maleus. And, according to DF Fall last for six hours, not four as DLGtP says, and they are 14 hours apart...so yeah...hmmm. I'm thinking I should re-read all the books (maybe in order this time 'cause I read the White Dragon first...I really need a refresher. But, I'll keep playing with numbers and such, maybe something will make sense...
Yakima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6 2009, 08:30 PM   #7
Yakima
Junior Member
Darbul
 
Yakima's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Minnesota
Gender: F
Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: Writting my own!
Default Re: ThreadFall Charts & Pern Calander

Okay, so I've snagged my old, falling apart copy of Dragon's Dawn (figured it was a good idea to ask the colonist my questions. :P I mean, they did create the charts, essentially, and had all the cool technology.) After skimming the accounts of the First Falls, I have some notes:

* The colors/numbered bands indicate a fall happening at the same time. Like I thought. :P
* Each color/number is a separate Fall. So the Red (on the map I made but find I need to revise) Band (or number 4), is a Fall. Yellow (5) is the next fall.
* There are 3 days between Falls.

I'm going to take that more complete map and see if I can get a better pattern from it. It's more complete and covers more of Pern though the Western Ring Island thing is what I need for me. :P

Any thoughts or things to add?
Yakima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7 2009, 09:08 AM   #8
ElectricDragon
Weyrlingmaster
 
ElectricDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Between
Gender: M
Fan of: Pern, obviously.
Now Reading: That's classified.
Default Re: ThreadFall Charts & Pern Calander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakima View Post
Okay, so I've snagged my old, falling apart copy of Dragon's Dawn (figured it was a good idea to ask the colonist my questions. :P I mean, they did create the charts, essentially, and had all the cool technology.) After skimming the accounts of the First Falls, I have some notes:

* The colors/numbered bands indicate a fall happening at the same time. Like I thought. :P
* Each color/number is a separate Fall. So the Red (on the map I made but find I need to revise) Band (or number 4), is a Fall. Yellow (5) is the next fall.
* There are 3 days between Falls.

I'm going to take that more complete map and see if I can get a better pattern from it. It's more complete and covers more of Pern though the Western Ring Island thing is what I need for me. :P

Any thoughts or things to add?
AoP pg 71 establishes that Thread Falls progress from both east to west and from north to south. AoP erroneously presents Falls as occurring on a true east-west axis.

DLG pg 66 establishes the path of an individual Fall as being on a northeast to southwest axis. DLP erroneously presents Falls as covering 20 degrees of longitude, when in fact they cover 20 degrees of latitude. This error is revealed by the accompanying statement that Falls cover three time zones. Time zones cover 15 degrees of longitude respectively, so an individual Fall traverses 20 degrees of latitude and 45 degrees of longitude on a northeast-southwest axis.

Falls always occur within +/- 5 degrees of latitude of the expected track (DLG pg 66). AoP pg 71 speculates that this type of variation accounts for the "erratic" Falls brought about by planetary conjunctions as seen in DQ.

[IIRC, in DF, when F'lar is doing his calculations, he figures that Thread will fall once every 16 hours at the height of Pass. Whether this figure is for Pern, the six Weyrs' AoR or even correct is unknown. F'lar also states that the interval between Falls is approximately 3 days, but varies from being longer toward the beginning and end of a Pass and shorter at the height of Pass. Again, this is all IIRC. I'll check it later if I have the time.]

The last scene of DE establishes that there are approximately 6650 Falls that the six classic Weyrs will have to attend in a Pass. We can safely assume the 2nd Pass riders are the best informed, possessing Connell's notes of the 1st Pass. This works out to Thread falling on Pern's Northern Continent on an average of once every 65 hours. The six Weyrs Area of Responsibility (AoR) covers 60 degrees of latitude (~5N to 65N) and 135 degrees of longitude (~15E to 150E placing the prime meridian west of Tillek per the AoP). This amounts to approximately one ninth of Pern's surface area. So Thread is hitting Pern somewhere about 59,850 times in a Pass.

Pern's year is 362 Pernese days or 8688 Pernese hours, making Pass a period of 18,100 days or 434,400 hours. Divided by the number of Falls, Thread hits Pern (somewhere) every 7.258 hours. Thread hits within the six Weyrs' AoR once every 65.323 hours, or 2.722 days. These are, of course, averages.

It would appear that these attacks should occur in a pattern that has a tracking rate (from north to south) of 20 degrees of latitude every 4 hours, and 45 degrees of longitude every 4 hours. So if the first Fall was to commence at 0 degrees latitude and 0 degrees longitude at 00:00, it should end at 20S, 45W, four hours later. The second fall should commence 3.2 hours later (07:12) at 36S, 81W and end at 56S, 126W. The third should commence (14:24) at 74S, 162W and end at 86N, 153E (actually two Falls, one impinging the southern hemisphere and the other the northern). The fourth should commence (21:36) at 66N, 117E in the Waste above Bitra and end at 46N, 72E in southwestern Telgar, having crossed Far Cry, Miner's Hold, Campbell's Field, Telgar Weyr and Telgar Hold, ending short of Greenfields at 01:48.

And there we get into the whole sticky mess of night Thread Falls...
ElectricDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7 2009, 12:42 PM   #9
ghost8772
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Denver, Colorado US
Gender: M
Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: The Dresden Files
Default Re: ThreadFall Charts & Pern Calander

Well, according to DF, the threadfall started out at a 78 hour cycle, 3 days off, 6 hours of fall. but worked down to 18 hours off, 6 on. There was no mention of threadfall coming back out to a 3 day gap between falls. Actually when F'lar was either showing the threadfall patterns to the newly arrived 5 weyrs, or in DQ when the patterns began shifting, IIRC, D'ram was the dragonrider who told F'lar that by the end of the pass falls were coming so regularly they just knew when one was about to happen, and where. This argues that once the falls reached their standard interval, they stayed there until the pass ended.
ghost8772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7 2009, 01:47 PM   #10
Yakima
Junior Member
Darbul
 
Yakima's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Minnesota
Gender: F
Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: Writting my own!
Default Re: ThreadFall Charts & Pern Calander

Thanks, ElectricDragon. I'm going to finish redoing the map and see if I can figure that all out. Truthfully, I'm just the kind of person that likes to know a lot and this whole Threadfall Chart thing is one of those things I really just want to figure out. :P

Oh, what does AoP stand for? I'm not use to all of the abbivations you all use. I figured out some but not all...
Yakima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7 2009, 09:38 PM   #11
ElectricDragon
Weyrlingmaster
 
ElectricDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Between
Gender: M
Fan of: Pern, obviously.
Now Reading: That's classified.
Default Re: ThreadFall Charts & Pern Calander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost8772 View Post
Well, according to DF, the threadfall started out at a 78 hour cycle, 3 days off, 6 hours of fall. but worked down to 18 hours off, 6 on. There was no mention of threadfall coming back out to a 3 day gap between falls. Actually when F'lar was either showing the threadfall patterns to the newly arrived 5 weyrs, or in DQ when the patterns began shifting, IIRC, D'ram was the dragonrider who told F'lar that by the end of the pass falls were coming so regularly they just knew when one was about to happen, and where. This argues that once the falls reached their standard interval, they stayed there until the pass ended.
Thanks for finding that. Can't tell yet if it conflicts with the rest.

I'm not sure we can read that much into D'ram's comment, with respect to specific timing. The comment implies great familiarity with the cycle and an ability to anticipate it, but says nothing specific about either the duration of the cycle or whether its was shortening or lengthening. The comment also refers to the end of Pass, where if the Falls were tampering off, predicting them and their cycle might well have been regular and easy. For all we know, D'ram did not even become a dragon-rider and/or Weyrleader until after the peak of the 8th Pass.

I'm also not sure the idea of the cycle increasing to its maximum immediately before ceasing altogether really makes any sense. The idea of a wax and wane to the cycle would be consistent with the Red Star's orbit. The cycle would build as the Red Star drew nearer its perigee and fall off as it drew away.

Of course, I'm not sure the entire mechanics of the Red Star dragging Thread into Pern's orbit for 50 turns makes much sense. How would a planet with a highly elliptical orbit remain within Pern's vicinity for 50 turns? And why would Pern be threatened throughout its orbit? Wouldn't the threat tamper off when Pern was on the far side of Rukbat from the Red Star each turn, and be more severe when it was on the same side? Shouldn't there be varying intensity within a Turn?
ElectricDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7 2009, 09:43 PM   #12
ElectricDragon
Weyrlingmaster
 
ElectricDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Between
Gender: M
Fan of: Pern, obviously.
Now Reading: That's classified.
Default Re: ThreadFall Charts & Pern Calander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakima View Post
Thanks, ElectricDragon. I'm going to finish redoing the map and see if I can figure that all out. Truthfully, I'm just the kind of person that likes to know a lot and this whole Threadfall Chart thing is one of those things I really just want to figure out. :P

Oh, what does AoP stand for? I'm not use to all of the abbivations you all use. I figured out some but not all...
Makes two of us. This thing has bugged me for a while myself, I just never have the time to sit down and quite figure it out.

AoP means Atlas of Pern, by Karen Wynn Fonstad.

Something that needs to be accounted for is varying the latitudes by season from a shift of 15S at the Winter Solstice to 15N at the Summer solstice, passing through 0 at the equinoxes.

I'll need to look at if the information I found syncs up with the 78 hours cycle and play around with a six-hour Fall duration.
ElectricDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8 2009, 01:19 AM   #13
ElectricDragon
Weyrlingmaster
 
ElectricDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Between
Gender: M
Fan of: Pern, obviously.
Now Reading: That's classified.
Default Re: ThreadFall Charts & Pern Calander

Yakima,

I took your colored chart, assumed 6 hour falls and a three day cycle.

I plotted in the six Weyrs' AoRs and got some interesting results.

In a 45 day cycle:

Fort Weyr rises only six times, on four solo and two joint Falls, and accumulates only 9:50 hours combat time.

Benden rises eleven times, on three solo and eight joint Falls, twice fighting in two geographically separate Falls, and accumulates 21:50 hours combat time.

High Reaches rises only six times, on three solo and three joint Falls, accumulating 21:10 hours of combat time, with two 5:00 hour Falls and one full 6:00 hour Falls.

Igen rises seven times, all joint Falls, accumulating 10:20 hours of combat time.

Ista rises only six times, on two solo and four joint Falls, accumulating 12:10 hours of combat time.

Telgar rises only six times, on one solo and five joint Falls, accumulating 15:00 hours of combat time.

Falls
Benden-11
Igen-7
All others-6

Hours
Benden-21:50
High Reaches-21:10
Telgar-15:00
Ista-12:10
Igen-10:20
Fort-9:50

Solos-
Fort-4
Benden, High Reaches-3
Ista-2
Telgar-1
Igen-0

Fort Weyr benefits from mostly defending a narrow peninsula and does not fly a Fall longer than 2:40 hours, but flies two thirds of its Falls alone.

Benden Weyr's AoR's long east-west axis causes it to shoulder roughly double the workload of any other Weyr, but most of that work is in concert with other Weyrs. Unique to Benden is the problem of simultaneously fighting two geographically separated Falls, twice.

High Reaches suffers from an accident of geography that makes this Weyr's riders the high-endurance champions. In only six Falls, they rival the combat time of their brethren at Benden in almost twice that many.

Igen will never face a Fall alone, nor a marathon Fall such as High Reaches or Ista.

Ista benefits from an AoR that is mostly ocean and peninsulas flying a variety of Falls including short Joint efforts and one marathon effort of 5:00 hours.

Telgar benefits greatly from Falls' propensity to overlap the AoR of other Weyrs, as well as the proximity of the Northern Wastes.

Longest Fall:
High Reaches-6:00
Ista-5:00
Telgar-4:50
Benden-4:30
Igen-3:40
Fort-2:40

Down time (longest):
High Reaches and Ista-up to 17 consecutive days
Igen and Telgar-14 days
Benden and Fort-13 days
ElectricDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8 2009, 02:01 PM   #14
Yakima
Junior Member
Darbul
 
Yakima's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Minnesota
Gender: F
Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: Writting my own!
Default Re: ThreadFall Charts & Pern Calander

Thanks. (even if I'm trying to fix the map to fit better with the one at the end of Dragon's Dawn...it's dosn't line up unless I do each line indivdually and then it dosn't stay on a straight diagonal....*blinks* I might just fudge it up a bit and get as close as i can get... Will post new map when I'm done, promise.) That's cool that you figured that all out.

And thanks for all the help, guys.
Yakima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8 2009, 11:31 PM   #15
ElectricDragon
Weyrlingmaster
 
ElectricDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Between
Gender: M
Fan of: Pern, obviously.
Now Reading: That's classified.
Default Re: ThreadFall Charts & Pern Calander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakima View Post
Thanks. (even if I'm trying to fix the map to fit better with the one at the end of Dragon's Dawn...it's dosn't line up unless I do each line indivdually and then it dosn't stay on a straight diagonal....*blinks* I might just fudge it up a bit and get as close as i can get... Will post new map when I'm done, promise.) That's cool that you figured that all out.

And thanks for all the help, guys.
What I did was arbitrary, taking the 6-hour period quoted elsewhere on this topic, and taking the 3-day (72-hour) cycle. The 6-hour period was quoted in conjunction with a 78-hour cycle, so technically the figures I gave should be for a 48 day 18 hour span.

I think you're going to find there are a lot of missing pieces and that they don't fit together.

The Red Star supposedly rotates west to east vice east to west. Pern rotates east to west like Earth. There is no mention of the Red Star orbiting in the opposite direction from Pern. So if the two are in the same orbit and the Red Star is outside Pern's orbit and does not cross it, why do Falls sequence from north to south? For this to work, the Red Star would have to have a radical axial tilt, and as the two planets progressed in their orbits, how would they maintain alignment with each other?

Presumably the frequency of Threadfall has to do with the period of the Red Star's rotation, and the proximity of the Red Star to Pern, but why is there no variation depending upon season?

How can the Red Star loiter 50 Turns in the inner-system and be anywhere near Pern most of the time? And how can it not cross Pern's orbit if it's so dramatically elliptical?

If the Red Star orbits outside Pern's orbit, why does Threadfall take place mostly during the day?

There are more questions, but it's about a half-hour until midnight and my mind just isn't holding them at the moment.
ElectricDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9 2009, 03:28 AM   #16
ghost8772
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Denver, Colorado US
Gender: M
Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: The Dresden Files
Default Re: ThreadFall Charts & Pern Calander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricDragon View Post
What I did was arbitrary, taking the 6-hour period quoted elsewhere on this topic, and taking the 3-day (72-hour) cycle. The 6-hour period was quoted in conjunction with a 78-hour cycle, so technically the figures I gave should be for a 48 day 18 hour span.

I think you're going to find there are a lot of missing pieces and that they don't fit together.

The Red Star supposedly rotates west to east vice east to west. Pern rotates east to west like Earth. There is no mention of the Red Star orbiting in the opposite direction from Pern. So if the two are in the same orbit and the Red Star is outside Pern's orbit and does not cross it, why do Falls sequence from north to south? For this to work, the Red Star would have to have a radical axial tilt, and as the two planets progressed in their orbits, how would they maintain alignment with each other?

Presumably the frequency of Threadfall has to do with the period of the Red Star's rotation, and the proximity of the Red Star to Pern, but why is there no variation depending upon season?

How can the Red Star loiter 50 Turns in the inner-system and be anywhere near Pern most of the time? And how can it not cross Pern's orbit if it's so dramatically elliptical?

If the Red Star orbits outside Pern's orbit, why does Threadfall take place mostly during the day?

There are more questions, but it's about a half-hour until midnight and my mind just isn't holding them at the moment.
in DD, ans AtWoP, it was mentioned that the thread were carried in as something of a cometary tail. The cometary tail would take something in the order of 50 years to filter out of inner planets. If that was the case, then I suppose gravity could have each planet attract materials, deflect, or form up a cometary tail on each planet in system. it still doesn't add up to me, but at the least that part makes some twisted sort of sense.
ghost8772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9 2009, 09:12 AM   #17
Hans
Master Archivist
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: The Netherlands
Gender: M
Fan of: Pern!
Default Re: ThreadFall Charts & Pern Calander

Yakima, if it is maps you want I advise you to rummage around in my Pern Museum's Maps & Charts section: here

If you want anything you see in a somewhat larger format (to plot and draw on) than pictures don't be afraid to ask. I can't promise if I have it but if I do I can send it; the price being a digital copy of what you draw
__________________
Hans, also known as Elrhan, Master Archivist

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9 2009, 01:35 PM   #18
edith
Dragonrider


Weyrwoman
 
edith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Delft
Gender: F
Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman
Default Re: ThreadFall Charts & Pern Calander

You could try a graph digitising program which will save the bits of the map as data points.
I've been using one for plain and boring graphs but the examples on the program showed some maps.
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10 2009, 10:40 AM   #19
GHarris
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Raleigh, NC
Gender: M
Fan of: The White Dragon
Now Reading: Skies of Pern
Default Re: ThreadFall Charts & Pern Calander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Yakima, if it is maps you want I advise you to rummage around in my Pern Museum's Maps & Charts section: here

If you want anything you see in a somewhat larger format (to plot and draw on) than pictures don't be afraid to ask. I can't promise if I have it but if I do I can send it; the price being a digital copy of what you draw
My copy of DD has a treadfall distribution map. It's ironic that it seems to stripe the planet, and not completely cover it.

GH
GHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10 2009, 04:01 PM   #20
Hans
Master Archivist
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: The Netherlands
Gender: M
Fan of: Pern!
Default Re: ThreadFall Charts & Pern Calander

That map, both the UK and US versions are in the Book Maps Section
__________________
Hans, also known as Elrhan, Master Archivist

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10 2009, 08:58 PM   #21
Yakima
Junior Member
Darbul
 
Yakima's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Minnesota
Gender: F
Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: Writting my own!
Default Re: ThreadFall Charts & Pern Calander

Thanks, Hans. One of these days I'm going to do the Pern map like I did my fantasy world, Anarendor, and the map of my fan-weyr then you can add it if you want. :P

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...rendor_map.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...e/falasmap.jpg

Of course, it would take a while but I like being able to see mountains and stuff.

What is that program called, Edith? It sounds interesting 'cause I've noticed that these lines don't travel in a straight line and curve, probably with the planet. I vaugly remember my math classes and think there could be an equation of sorts to figure this out. I mean, it makes sense that those lines wouldn't be totally straight - Pern is round. *blinks*
Yakima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11 2009, 05:15 AM   #22
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster
 
GinnyStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Wausau, WI USA, Central Standard Time
Gender: F
Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain
Default Re: ThreadFall Charts & Pern Calander

Yakima Welcome from a member who not been here for bit!

I well have to stop and read this thread later!

Still in the middle of a move and tired!
__________________
Lover s s, s and friends
Lover of and beads,
http://www.change.org/profiles/GinnyStar
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11 2009, 06:21 PM   #23
edith
Dragonrider


Weyrwoman
 
edith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Delft
Gender: F
Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman
Default Re: ThreadFall Charts & Pern Calander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakima View Post
Thanks, Hans. One of these days I'm going to do the Pern map like I did my fantasy world, Anarendor, and the map of my fan-weyr then you can add it if you want. :P

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...rendor_map.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...e/falasmap.jpg

Of course, it would take a while but I like being able to see mountains and stuff.

What is that program called, Edith? It sounds interesting 'cause I've noticed that these lines don't travel in a straight line and curve, probably with the planet. I vaugly remember my math classes and think there could be an equation of sorts to figure this out. I mean, it makes sense that those lines wouldn't be totally straight - Pern is round. *blinks*
Its called GetData graph digitizer
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12 2009, 03:45 PM   #24
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster
 
P'ter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Wolverhampton
Gender: M
Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly
Default Re: ThreadFall Charts & Pern Calander

Quote GHaris:

Quote:
My copy of DD has a treadfall distribution map. It's ironic that it seems to stripe the planet, and not completely cover it.
Given the way thread spreads when it has 'successfully' landed; does it need to completely cover the globe?
__________________
"Truth is stranger than fiction: fiction has to make sense." Leo Rosten.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13 2009, 02:44 AM   #25
Hans
Master Archivist
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: The Netherlands
Gender: M
Fan of: Pern!
Default Re: ThreadFall Charts & Pern Calander

When showing/planning Threadfall (on a map) it's only necessary to show the land masses.
__________________
Hans, also known as Elrhan, Master Archivist

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13 2009, 11:48 PM   #26
Lady Maelin
Master Artist


 
Lady Maelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: California
Gender: F
Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !
Default Re: ThreadFall Charts & Pern Calander

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
Quote GHaris:



Given the way thread spreads when it has 'successfully' landed; does it need to completely cover the globe?

But wouldn't you want to know all the places on the planet, that thread would fall...even out in the waters. What about the fishermen, or the inhabited Islands, they would need to know as well when and where thread would fall...right???
__________________
"To the Horsehead Nebula and back we shall make beautiful music"..."Together!"

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15 2009, 03:56 AM   #27
Hans
Master Archivist
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: The Netherlands
Gender: M
Fan of: Pern!
Default Re: ThreadFall Charts & Pern Calander

The fishermen indeed would want to know where Thread fell because fishing is marvelous and catches are huge in those places
__________________
Hans, also known as Elrhan, Master Archivist

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20 2009, 06:07 PM   #28
Yakima
Junior Member
Darbul
 
Yakima's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Minnesota
Gender: F
Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: Writting my own!
Default Re: ThreadFall Charts & Pern Calander

*pokes head back in*

Heya, I'm back! :P

So, I finished my Threadfall Chart. I think the map is shorter then most Pernese maps but I cut some off because of the timezones and such. It makes sense. And the Threadfall lines lined up when I did that, too!

I also took one of the maps found in Hans' archives and put in the mountains and such. I think one of the colors from the southern continent were swamps but I wasn't sure so I just treated that shade of green like forest. >.< All of that is on layers so it's not too hard to change around.

Anyway, here it is. Feel free to use for anything. I also can put up a blank map for people to draw on, too.

http://www.wolf-mage.com/threadfallcharts.gif

And I sctratched the calander I had. I think it was from the timeline from the site this forum originates from, but I like that idea better and it's much easier to work with. :P So, yeah...Anyway. XD
Yakima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20 2009, 07:12 PM   #29
Lady Maelin
Master Artist


 
Lady Maelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: California
Gender: F
Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !
Default Re: ThreadFall Charts & Pern Calander

Yakima...that looks like you put a lot of time and thought into it...and it is indeed a very interesting chart.
__________________
"To the Horsehead Nebula and back we shall make beautiful music"..."Together!"

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20 2009, 07:18 PM   #30
Yakima
Junior Member
Darbul
 
Yakima's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Minnesota
Gender: F
Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: Writting my own!
Default Re: ThreadFall Charts & Pern Calander

Thanks. I wanted to do depth stuff with the oceans, too, but couldn't find a map that depicted it, even if I swear I had seen one before. *blink* I like doing stuff like this.

I even made a chart that depicts the size of dragons throughout the Passes and Intervals, though I think that needs some tweaking. That one is here: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...artpernese.gif But I need to adjust it because I don't like it. :P
Yakima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20 2009, 09:49 PM   #31
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster
 
GinnyStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Wausau, WI USA, Central Standard Time
Gender: F
Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain
Red face Re: ThreadFall Charts & Pern Calander

*Pokes her head in* at Yakima your images sound go to look at not right now eyes too tired to enjoy your work for very long.

I well come and look at the late! OK?
work I well look at later.
__________________
Lover s s, s and friends
Lover of and beads,
http://www.change.org/profiles/GinnyStar
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21 2009, 12:06 AM   #32
Lady Maelin
Master Artist


 
Lady Maelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: California
Gender: F
Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !
Default Re: ThreadFall Charts & Pern Calander

Yakima...I like the growth chart for dragons that show how much larger they got over the turns. To bad you couldn't combine it with one of the actual dragon size charts that have been done before by several other members.

http://www.cibryen.com/images/perndragonfeet.jpg

Somthing much like this chart [only much nicer IMO] has also been by Spiffy and also by Cavitica, who are also on MoM.
__________________
"To the Horsehead Nebula and back we shall make beautiful music"..."Together!"

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21 2009, 05:07 AM   #33
Hans
Master Archivist
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: The Netherlands
Gender: M
Fan of: Pern!
Default Re: ThreadFall Charts & Pern Calander

Good work, Yakima! You clearly put some real effort in those.

Where's the legenda that needs to go with the hreadfall chart?
__________________
Hans, also known as Elrhan, Master Archivist

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21 2009, 09:24 AM   #34
Kath
Starsmith


Weyrwoman
 
Kath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oop North

Fan of: Moreta
Default Re: ThreadFall Charts & Pern Calander

The threadfall chart from Dragonsdawn - wasn't that just for the first set of falls? I'm pretty sure it's neither comprehensive nor complete.

*checks*

Ah yes - just the falls on the first 50 days of the Pass. There would presumably be blanket coverage of the planet, with fairly predictable variations from the baseline pattern illustrated in that chart over time. Another thing to remember - Threadfall ramps up to a higher frequency and shifts about further into the Pass as well.


As far as Fall patterns go, astronomically it doesn't make a great deal of sense. The easiest way of handwaving an explanation is to bring Pern's magnetosphere into the equation. Variations in the axial tilt of the red star and its orientation relative to Pern are pretty meaningless parameters, as the RS goes in and out of the system very fast relative to the length of the Pass (Kepler's laws won't allow things any other way ). You need the Red Star to seed pretty much the whole inner system with Thread, and then just let Pern sweep through it one orbit at a time. Predictability of Falls depends on a local phenomenon, and magnetic interactions plus SERIOUS clumping of the Thread ovoids are the best candidates. Apparent fall direction can be treated much like the radiant of a meteor shower, but much like meteors, in the absence of any other controlling factor you're not going to be able to predict where on the planet is going to get the best show.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21 2009, 02:59 PM   #35
Yakima
Junior Member
Darbul
 
Yakima's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Minnesota
Gender: F
Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: Writting my own!
Default Re: ThreadFall Charts & Pern Calander

Sorry, Hans, hadn't gotten to that yet. I just put up the updated version, that has the legend. I think I'm going to put the numbers on the strips, too, for quicker referance.

Thanks, Maelin. I actually want to do something more like that, maybe individual ones for each pass or something. *shrug* It would be too crouded to do all of them on one page. Heh. I know I've seen some charts like that, just with different images of the dragons. :P I always find it interesting how people draw them all differently. :P
Yakima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21 2009, 04:02 PM   #36
Yakima
Junior Member
Darbul
 
Yakima's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Minnesota
Gender: F
Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: Writting my own!
Default Re: ThreadFall Charts & Pern Calander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
The threadfall chart from Dragonsdawn - wasn't that just for the first set of falls? I'm pretty sure it's neither comprehensive nor complete.

*checks*

Ah yes - just the falls on the first 50 days of the Pass. There would presumably be blanket coverage of the planet, with fairly predictable variations from the baseline pattern illustrated in that chart over time. Another thing to remember - Threadfall ramps up to a higher frequency and shifts about further into the Pass as well.


As far as Fall patterns go, astronomically it doesn't make a great deal of sense. The easiest way of handwaving an explanation is to bring Pern's magnetosphere into the equation. Variations in the axial tilt of the red star and its orientation relative to Pern are pretty meaningless parameters, as the RS goes in and out of the system very fast relative to the length of the Pass (Kepler's laws won't allow things any other way ). You need the Red Star to seed pretty much the whole inner system with Thread, and then just let Pern sweep through it one orbit at a time. Predictability of Falls depends on a local phenomenon, and magnetic interactions plus SERIOUS clumping of the Thread ovoids are the best candidates. Apparent fall direction can be treated much like the radiant of a meteor shower, but much like meteors, in the absence of any other controlling factor you're not going to be able to predict where on the planet is going to get the best show.
Heh, so, technically, it's kinda usless to try to make a chart, eh? Hmm...darnit, that makes me want to make a FULL chart. Oh, boy, my brains at it again!
Yakima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21 2009, 04:55 PM   #37
Kath
Starsmith


Weyrwoman
 
Kath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oop North

Fan of: Moreta
Default Re: ThreadFall Charts & Pern Calander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakima View Post
Heh, so, technically, it's kinda usless to try to make a chart, eh? Hmm...darnit, that makes me want to make a FULL chart. Oh, boy, my brains at it again!
Nooo... definitely not useless! If you say what it is, it works fine. It won't cover every single Fall, but you could always make up your own formula to add to the bottom of the chart to account for the variations (e.g. 'Fall pattern shifts X klicks west and Y klicks south every Z days, returning to baseline cycle fall #1 on the solstice') - I reckon that's the kind of thing F'lar must have been working from in the 9th Pass, as it allows for predictability and repeatabilty without being too huge - plus, it's not so unwieldy a system that the Oldtimers would've been incapable of knowing it by heart without thinking about things.

For every single Fall, you'd be blanketing the whole planet - you wouldn't want a chart for that but a catalogue!!
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21 2009, 07:02 PM   #38
Yakima
Junior Member
Darbul
 
Yakima's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Minnesota
Gender: F
Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: Writting my own!
Default Re: ThreadFall Charts & Pern Calander

Hmmm....true. Thanks. Now, I'm going to foolishly try to make one. >.< Well, not foolishly but such mathematics were never in my highest skill department.

Thanks!
Yakima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21 2009, 10:20 PM   #39
Brenda
Senior Member
 
Brenda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: St. Louis
Gender: F
Default Re: ThreadFall Charts & Pern Calander

The dragon size-change chart is an interesting idea, but in this case it is too simple - many of the colors' sizes would overlap, and the differences would not be uniform. The chart should not have four evenly spaced lines - I would expect there to be a small difference between greens and blues (which also overlap), then a larger one between blues and browns (which overlap much less often) then a small one between browns and bronzes (which overlap a great deal) then a larger one between bronzes and golds (which also overlap quite a bit.)
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22 2009, 02:37 AM   #40
Yakima
Junior Member
Darbul
 
Yakima's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Minnesota
Gender: F
Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: Writting my own!
Default Re: ThreadFall Charts & Pern Calander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda View Post
The dragon size-change chart is an interesting idea, but in this case it is too simple - many of the colors' sizes would overlap, and the differences would not be uniform. The chart should not have four evenly spaced lines - I would expect there to be a small difference between greens and blues (which also overlap), then a larger one between blues and browns (which overlap much less often) then a small one between browns and bronzes (which overlap a great deal) then a larger one between bronzes and golds (which also overlap quite a bit.)
Yes, and I just realized that the graph I posted was the one without the gold...dur....bronze and gold did overlap. So were the other colors for a time but yeah *hunts for 'final' graph* Ah, here it is! http://www.wolf-mage.com/sizechart.gif And I know the other colors overlaped. I obviously forgot about that when I was shading it...I also need to go back and redo some things. It's meant to give and approximate, really. :P And I think that the growth was exponential, not linear. Nor am I completely sure just what size the 'engineered' size was suppose to be. I'm assuming that the sizes in the DLGtP was for the Ninth Pass dragons. Unless that was the size they were meant to be and the Ninth Pass dragons were bigger then that...*blinks*
Yakima is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pern Book, Short Story, and Miscellany List; Common Abbreviations Cheryl Dragonriders of Pern 1 Jun 28 2008 08:53 AM
Collecting Highlight (43) - The Atlas of Pern c.s. Hans Collecting Highlights Archives 23 Feb 25 2007 08:30 PM
Need some help from members... Hans Café Archives 21 Jul 24 2006 06:09 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

A Meeting of Minds forum owned by Cheryl B. Miller.
All references to worlds and characters based on Anne McCaffrey’s fiction are copyright © Anne McCaffrey 1967-2008, all rights reserved, and used by permission of the author.