A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Beyond Anne McCaffrey

Beyond Anne McCaffrey We know Anne's not the only author you read and enjoy. Come here to discuss and discover authors beyond Anne!

Old Nov 16 2008, 09:15 PM   #1
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat
Default Geoffrey Landis

I bought a book of his short stories at Albacon and I'm nearly finished with it. I like his style, there is a lot of science in it, some of which I don't understand . There are also some really strange twists and turns and some "gotcha's" which I like. I don't want to start a story and have the ending figured out a couple paragraphs in. There's one story about Sherlock Holmes that is really Twilight Zone creepy! Well, you might expect there to be quite a bit of science in his writing, since he works for NASA. . .
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17 2008, 08:43 AM   #2
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)
Default Re: Geoffrey Landis

I came in at the end of his reading at AlbaCon, which was just in time for him to read a poem he'd written. I can't quite remember the title, which is a shame because it was awesome and I'd like to read it again and recommend it. The title was something like "Forever" and it was about these two star-crossed lovers as they were reincarnated again and again until the end of the universe. It was poignant and beautiful and funny. I've never heard SF poetry before; poetry that depended so completely settings and ways of SF.

Hmm, doing some digging in his bibliography, it may indeed have been called "Forever", but unless it's included in the upcoming book of his poetry, it's not easy to find (as in, I couldn't find any copies of the volume it's in through bookfinder).
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.

Last edited by Cheryl; Nov 17 2008 at 08:59 AM.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17 2008, 10:20 AM   #3
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

I'll send them an email, shall I? I'm wanting to get copies of his other books. The title of the one I just finished is: Impact Parameter and Other Quantum Realities. That sounds dry and boring, but there are some very interesting stories, including a completely "tongue in cheek" one called: What We Really Do Here At NASA! I had never thought of SciFi poetry either, but it adds another realm to my reading enjoyment.
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17 2008, 11:09 AM   #4
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

I was thinking about sending an email to enquire if that was indeed the poem he read at the end, and if it would be in the new collection, but I certainly won't turn down the offer of someone else to send it for me!
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote