A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café

The Library Café Come in, relax, and get to know the other members of this site. Share your hobbies and interests, along with general news of your life.

Old Oct 28 2021, 04:09 PM   #201
Mausey

Default Re: What is Happening, part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla View Post
So you got back a "restored" window at $1,100 that has no glass in it?! What did they do, cover the wood with gold leaf! Does it have to be special glass to go along with the rest of the "old" building? In the meantime, will the hole where the window should be get boarded up to keep out the weather?
Because the roundhouse is a Provincial Historic Resource, any repairs, restoration have to be done or overseen by a "heritage" carpenter. It doesn't matter that the windows are simple and can be made by a high school shop class. As a provincial resource, we have government protection and access to grants for repairs. It does mean there is a huge amount of red tape and hoops to get through. At the moment all of the lower windows and the ones in the doors are boarded over. The ones on the upper level are covered in mesh and 2 layers of heavy plastic so we do get some natural light in. As far as I can recall, the restored one is for a door and we have 20 of them. No idea what we have on the ground level but there are probably another 20 on the upper level.
Old Oct 28 2021, 06:50 PM   #202
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

There are 20 doors on a lower level and another 20 on an upper level?! or is that mostly windows? Will you be able to have regular panes of glass installed at some point. Considering how cold it gets I would think they would use Thermopane!
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28 2021, 06:51 PM   #203
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

With Oden not using a litter box, I think she just like being difficult. She look at me while she went, as soon as she was finished, before I could get to her, she would run outside.
With some of the cats, sometimes it was because the weather was bad, & the litter had been used. I can understand that.

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28 2021, 09:00 PM   #204
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Pronouns: SheShe
Fan of: PShPern BB, Tia., and Oth
Now Reading: MHOP, Books Jerry Apps, Too Many to Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
I think it was vBulletin same as MoM.
Yes, I don't recall what my former staff Matt and I were seeing, but using Han's site or our Master Archives one, I still can't say/spelling it to here.

Things are looking up Looks like Manhimer Steamroller ChChristmas is coming to the Grand Theater for two shows in December, check up, and a different one, 'happy dance' I enjoyed the music so did a non fan oAMC did too, maybe I could get tickets for dad and I if he would like to see it, my gift to him,, We both like imstermental music, and some of it plays in the background of some of the muovies he likes, I do sometimes, need to be in the mood.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28 2021, 09:13 PM   #205
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

I love Mannheim Steamroller. I have a number of their Christmas CD's and right now I've been playing their spooky Halloween CD. I've never seen them in concert. We did get to see Trans Siberian Orchestra in concert a few years ago, which was spectacular!
Old Oct 29 2021, 10:18 PM   #206
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Quote:
I love Mannheim Steamroller. I have a number of their Christmas CD's and right now I've been playing their spooky Halloween CD. I've never seen them in concert. We did get to see Trans Siberian Orchestra in concert a few years ago, which was spectacular!
Nor have I, a friend has, I have one that I don't think its from the orginal run, I have only seen it on PBS, and fell asleep, ajusting to new medication, glad I recorded it, Now 'she who won't be named' to thank, but I also have come across some ideas for a song drable with a bit more work I canmight be able to transfer the ideas from my mind to writting, and I help to find a link to a home page that I hope helps some one else, I shal have to put it in a different thread I think, for its harder for I to explaine , Some what like Earthmother and MMawa sp and others did at NKt. I am having a hard time translateding what I have just starting to look over, more later when i GET MORE INFORMATION, i ONLY SEE her on Fir. sorry for the All Caps my fingers are having a lot of trembers and I hit and then don't hear the tone shift into it as I type.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Oct 31 2021, 08:32 PM   #207
Mausey

Quote:
There are 20 doors on a lower level and another 20 on an upper level?! or is that mostly windows? Will you be able to have regular panes of glass installed at some point. Considering how cold it gets I would think they would use Thermopane!
There are 20 doors (each with a window), 10 sets of 2 for the engines to come in and out. Then there is an upper level with a bank of windows that run the length of the building. Those are all sort of the same size. I was mistaken, the windows are 53 inch by 53 inch but there are 12 panes, not 9. There are also lots of other windows to get done. I can't describe it very well, your best bet is to google the Hanna Roundhouse. There are lots of pics there.
Old Nov 1 2021, 08:31 AM   #208
vyon

Fan of: Harper Hall

Wow! That place is huge! I wish you lick with it - it looks as if you've taken on a lifetime task there.
vyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1 2021, 08:32 AM   #209
vyon

Fan of: Harper Hall

Luck - for some reason all I get is a dizzy dot when I want to edit something on this page.
vyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1 2021, 09:02 AM   #210
BD1
Dragonrider

Pronouns: She/her
Fan of: the Pern books

Had I mentioned that I was in ICU for a few weeks after my surgery???
Old Nov 1 2021, 12:45 PM   #211
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

I did a Google Mausey and vyon is right. That is the work of at least one and maybe more lifetime!

I can't recall if you did, BD. I have only been in the ICU for 2 days, 25 years ago when I had my gall bladder out. I hope to never need to be in an ICU again!
Old Nov 2 2021, 08:42 AM   #212
BD1
Dragonrider

At one point while I was in ICU, I thought my new reality was me being an invalid, incontinent person!!
Old Nov 2 2021, 11:58 AM   #213
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
At one point while I was in ICU, I thought my new reality was me being an invalid, incontinent person!!
But now, after a lot of medical care, you're on the road to recovery, right?

As a "fun fact" sort of thing, when I was in the hospital for one thing or another (I don't really remember which hospital or what I was in for), The place had another unit that would have the same initials, ICU. I asked if they still had an "Intensive Care Unit" and was told they did, so I asked if they called it ICU; they did. So I asked, "What do you call the other unit then, ICU2?"

For some reason they didn't think it was as funny as my wife and I did.
Old Nov 2 2021, 05:16 PM   #214
BD1
Dragonrider

Actually, Allen, I've been home since September 24th!!! Sometimes, I forget that I have a walker and walk around without it!!!!! That was the first time I've ever been in ICU!! Saturday, I had an appointment for a CT scan to see if the abscess in my left kidney was gone. Today, I had the CT drain bag removed!!! Gotta get used to not having the drain bag!!!
Old Nov 2 2021, 08:06 PM   #215
Allen

Great!
Old Nov 3 2021, 08:13 AM   #216
BD1
Dragonrider

I'm glad I don't have the bag anymore!!! I had to be careful not to snag the bag on anything!!!
Old Nov 3 2021, 09:20 PM   #217
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

It was 31F this morning. We cleaned out the summer bird bath and covered it. Then brought out and plugged in the winter "heated" bird bath. No, it is not a bird hot tub, the water is kept just above freezing so they always have a drink. We care about the birds. Just bought 10 40 pound bags of black oil sunflower seed to last the winter. By ordering it early we get a discount at the garden center. No hungry or thirsty birds here!
Old Nov 4 2021, 01:09 AM   #218
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I can't believe Mom's been gone a whole year. It seems like yesterday I was screwing up her eggs, my eggs are usually awful, & fixing her coffee.

Old Nov 4 2021, 08:39 AM   #219
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

I'm sorry, mawra. I think we met your mom at the first Dragoncon we ever went to. She was riding on one of those electric scooters, I think.
Old Nov 4 2021, 04:47 PM   #220
BD1
Dragonrider

Sorry for your loss, mawra.
Old Nov 4 2021, 10:05 PM   #221
Mausey

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyon View Post
Wow! That place is huge! I wish you lick with it - it looks as if you've taken on a lifetime task there.
Room for 10 steam engines at once. Shortly before we got our hands on it there were another 5 bays that had to come down as one of the main support beams had been hit with a truck and knocked off it's footing and the roof was coming down. I don't have any of the pics of what it looked like when we started. It was literally knee deep in cow and pigeon poop and straw. There were a couple old vehicles and a previous owner had thrown several old furnaces and assorted chunks of metal in as well. We took a guess and think there may be around 200 panels of windows similar to what we had restored. They aren't all the same size but still at $1,100 each that's a lot of money. We had an estimate that each door would cost about $10,000 for restoration. Then we get into the concrete, *shudders* it is a slow process, but it's one of the few original ones in Canada that's standing so we fell it's worth the effort.
Old Nov 4 2021, 10:07 PM   #222
Mausey

Quote:
It was 31F this morning. We cleaned out the summer bird bath and covered it. Then brought out and plugged in the winter "heated" bird bath. No, it is not a bird hot tub, the water is kept just above freezing so they always have a drink. We care about the birds. Just bought 10 40 pound bags of black oil sunflower seed to last the winter. By ordering it early we get a discount at the garden center. No hungry or thirsty birds here!
Where did you find a heated bird bath? We have a few of our winter birds visit, so far I've had chickadees, 3 different finches and Eurasian banded doves.
Old Nov 5 2021, 12:37 AM   #223
Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mausey View Post
Where did you find a heated bird bath? We have a few of our winter birds visit, so far I've had chickadees, 3 different finches and Eurasian banded doves.
I have 2 heated water bowls for my now deceased dog. While not good for birds because one is plastic and the other stainless steel, the idea is the same. The heater doesn't come on until the temp goes below freezing (Celsius or Fahrenheit, but I don't know how it tells the difference... LOL) and just keeps the water from freezing. I got them at different farm and home stores. I would assume birdbaths would be sold in any good F&H store also. Here we have Farm & Home and Orscheln. But in a pinch, a heated dog bowl with a nice rock in it so the birds have traction would work.
Old Nov 5 2021, 08:22 AM   #224
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Mausey, I can't post pictures here. Googling it looks like what we have is an "Allied Precision Heated Bird Bath with metal stand". $92. I'll put a picture of ours on your FB page. It does a very good job of keeping the water clear all winter for the birds (and squirrels).
Old Nov 7 2021, 10:01 PM   #225
Mausey

I saw the picture, thank you. It's something to keep in mind but I have a feeling I'd have the local deer visiting more often than the birds.

I was helping a group with a fundraiser this weekend and while travelling I saw my first ever local moose, a cow and calf. I've seen them in the mountains but never here. Turns out there are actually a lot of them in the area but they're rather shy.
Old Nov 8 2021, 07:37 AM   #226
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

We have a lot of deer, raccoons, fox, coyotes. There are black bears around here but we have not seen one. There is about 30 acres of woods behind us (does not belong to us) that connect to even more woods in other local areas. People do see bears. Every day I stand at the kitchen sink several times and announce, "Where's My BEAR?!"
Old Nov 8 2021, 07:06 PM   #227
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Had cataract surgery Friday. Everything is still blurry. Not going to try & read post right now. Hope everyone is doing good and had a nice Halloween.

Old Nov 9 2021, 12:22 AM   #228
SpaceCowboy

Fan of: "The Ship Who Searched"

Well how and when did that happen? I'm sitting here extremely puzzled. Sometime in the last two months I got a pay raise and have no clue when. Walmart gives raises once a year in February and it isn't anywhere close to February. Actually I figured out the when it was the paycheck for the end of September beginning of October.. Still haven't figured out the why.

(edit)
OK figured out the why and I benefited from something unexpected. Cashiers now start at $12 an hour and in order to benefit established cashiers making close to that they gave ALL cashiers a raise of $1. I didn't and still don't make anywhere close to that considering I was already the highest paid cashier by close to $4 and this just let me keep that difference. I'm not complaining but it would have been nice to be told this first hand and not find out from my paystub and researching the employee website.

Last edited by SpaceCowboy; Nov 9 2021 at 12:42 AM.
SpaceCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9 2021, 12:56 PM   #229
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Congrats on the raise.

Old Nov 9 2021, 03:36 PM   #230
mara

Fan of: the pern serie's
Now Reading: rereading the crystal singer

Nice surprise ��
mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10 2021, 07:33 AM   #231
Zelandeth

Fan of: Dragonsdawn
Now Reading: Working my way through the whole Pern series

Ah, welcome back to Milton Keynes. Having been away for a few days back up north to Aberdeenshire, first things which happen within minutes of me turning off the motorway are discovering kids shooting firework rockets off overpasses at passing vehicles and having a taxi driver deliberately try to run me off the road.

Oh how I love living less than 50 miles from London.

Counting myself lucky it was raining as normally I'd have had my window open a couple of inches, which would have meant that rocket would have ended up in the cab of the van with me, probably after bouncing off the side of my head.

We really can't wait to get to the point where we're all able to make the move up north permanently.
Zelandeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10 2021, 10:12 AM   #232
BD1
Dragonrider

I'm used to not having the CT drain now!!!! Yay!!!
Old Nov 12 2021, 08:53 PM   #233
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Quote:
I'm used to not having the CT drain now!!!! Yay!!!
gGood to read, haven't been on line medication that keeps then down to a low I can work, was late, so and I had to get a new up date for my screen reader , on the plus side, I have shown two more folks the world of Anne McCaffrey, via my books, and the books from here. Right now I am getting I have a Ipad on loamm for a bit longer, and someone to show me how to run it, to see if its going to work, I am still tired , need to take it easy and hope folks stay safe with the first snow of the season, that sounds like it might stick more on roads, PS to any Vets. Happy Day to you aday late,, I wish my dad that yesterday, he is doing better, but its going to take kin is going to be his gofer for him, in a few weeks, so I can see him and the rest of my kin, so I can see them in person. PS If I don't pop up I am working out aragements for a few medical apointments, and a few needed things, I am also doing some writing off line, my new go to tech, persons is helping me get my other stuff transferred from the old too the new one,, weather and medication, is making my mind and body a little slower then I am , making it harder to transmit my ideas across, too. So my post might jump a bit, but that is theway itgoes,.

Right now I am fizzing out, so more later.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Nov 15 2021, 09:54 AM   #234
BD1
Dragonrider

Last monday, I was supposed to go to my doctor's office, I had no way to get there!! Need to reschedule the appt!!
Old Nov 17 2021, 05:03 AM   #235
mara

Fan of: the pern serie's
Now Reading: rereading the crystal singer

Quote:
Last monday, I was supposed to go to my doctor's office, I had no way to get there!! Need to reschedule the appt!!
That sucks, I hope it will go better nex time.
I am glad I have a large family, there is always someone free to help me.
mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18 2021, 01:10 PM   #236
BD1
Dragonrider

Yesterday, I met with a nurse at my house. (Not the first time). He ordered some more colostomy supplies for me. I should get them Monday by the latest!!!
Old Nov 18 2021, 11:19 PM   #237
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

I am going home, for the week, starting Sat. and coming back Sat. for the USA Thankgiving, I just wanted to let you all know that I well be without internet for that time, if I don't go Sat. it well be Sun. S, my cuz. is willing to come and help me and my dad with geting my stuff to and from my aprt. toDDad's place, which is good, he is slowly recovring I know he likes A&W Root Beer ,Diet so I am bringing him some,, j and have ordered him two boxes , thanks to someone I trust, I can order stuff, and with help I can order other stuff, I might be online or not, or when I get back I have a person who is willing to be my eyes, so I can see where I made my mistake so I can clear out my PM box, I have had to rest away my migraine were giving me too much pain, and I was off my cycle for my meds. shot, we are still working on that. So I have learned to take time away from the computer, and other eletric things, its helped a lot,. I am also planning on going down for Christmas and New's Years if things work out. Like I was saying I have shared Amc and her Co-writers worlds with others off line, told them to find this site, via Han's site, which reminds me could we have it as a perment thread with the wayback link so we wcan help get folks to hhere? or HHave the http in text that we can share? I can't sspell part of the whole thing, and my copying and pasting isn't up to par yet, I know the name but a search eng. has problems finding it which why Ihad usHas's site to here, I still can't find search quite yet, can we tag it ? I am asking for I know others offline, that are new to Pern which I have ref. your this,Pern.Wilkia sp and this site. I well be out of contact when that happens so I need to have aid to remark it when I get back. I am missing both AMC and my mom, at the moment, right around this ttime I lost two to me and with others folks that I miss.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Nov 18 2021, 11:53 PM   #238
BD1
Dragonrider

Tell them to go to "forums.srellim.org"
Old Nov 20 2021, 03:51 PM   #239
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I'm no longer having problems driving a night. Should get new glasses next month.
Kibby has gotten 2 solid black kittens. I have gotten a smokey gray, & and an orange one. We're back up to 10 or 11 cats. Depends on who has moved next door for a few days.
Lunna, one of the year old dogs, don't like the kittens fighting, & will break them up. It's fun to watch her get up and down from the couch every 2 minutes to break them up.
The other year old one, Blu, is scared of everything. I had my bedroom door open, he got on my bed. A small twin size bed. He was scared to get off it. He's 45 pounds, the bed is barely a step up for him. A broom fell on the floor, he was scared to step over it. Luna on the other hand is not bother about anything. He likes the feel of her collar correcting her, when she crosses the fence line. She was sleeping on the fence line, while being. shocked by collar. It is on the highest setting. Blu won't go near the fence line.

Old Nov 20 2021, 04:07 PM   #240
Mausey

Pets certainly make your life interesting don't they. Gus has started howling, very loudly, about 7 in the morning. Very, very loudly, every morning. If we close the door he sits on the other side and turns the volume up. No special reason for this, just singing the song of his people. Hubby is about ready to throttle him. Even when we get up he continues for another 15 or so minutes. That's the only time he does it so even more annoying.