A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café > Café Archives

Closed Thread

Old Jul 6 2008, 09:32 PM   #1
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing
Default Well, I was right.....

Since I don't really post here a lot, I didn't think anybody in the host world really kept track of the fact that I'm on here almost daily. I was right. My birthday came and went, and this forum, along with the KTL, obviously didn't think I was worthy of a thread to mark the occasion. Oh well.
Old Jul 6 2008, 09:38 PM   #2
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)
Default Re: Well, I was right.....

That does generally happen if you don't post a lot. As you have a total of 14 posts, with a join date two years ago, that definitely qualifies as not posting a lot.
Old Jul 6 2008, 09:43 PM   #3
Shalyn

Location: Loo-a-vull / Luhvuhl / Loo-ih-ville / Loo-a-ville / Looeyville / Lewisville Oh, Heck. Kentuckiana.
Fan of: Dragonflight

How many birthdays have you acknowledged, also? With fourteen posts in two years, even if you acknowledged only birthdays on this site (and the NKT) you would end up with more than fourteen.

It works both ways, you know.

(And yes. I'm a good one to talk - I always forget birthdays - cards, acknowledgements, the whole shebang.)
Old Jul 6 2008, 09:53 PM   #4
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

Your last activity at the KT is listed as Sept. 11, 2006! I also don't see your birthdate listed in the calendar or in your "information". Maybe it's around someplace, but people aren't mind readers! (well, maybe 'some' are, however, the Talented I'm sure would only 'use' such information with permission! ) Truly, it's a birthday. Mine came and went unnoticed because that's how I wanted it. Happy birthday to you, if it is late. I hope it was a good one, in spite of your disappointment.
Old Jul 6 2008, 11:35 PM   #5
Pam
Heptite Guildmaster

Fan of: Lars Dahl

If you don't list your birthday in your profile it's impossible for us to know when it is.

The Crystal Singer Continuum

Old Jul 6 2008, 11:49 PM   #6
Allen

My last activity as Draco might be Sept 2006, but I'm on annemccaffreyfans almost every day, like about 29 out of 30 days average. I'm Gryphon there. I once set up Draco over there as an alter ego, and have rarely used it since.

I've tried posting to every birthday thread there, and it has made absolutely no difference. My birthday (as Gryphon) is listed accurately, and my personal info is supposed to be set as public, not hidden. At least that's what it says when I check.

I'm not mad about this; please don't misinterpret. I'm not one to normally post like some that want to see their post count climb. I don't get into political threads because I don't believe my views are anybody's business but my own. There are any number of subjects I won't post on because I just plain don't have anything I consider worthwhile to add.

I know that when I post, I often sound, I don't know, maybe stilted, or condescending. Holier than thou? It's just the way I write, that's all.

Here, yes I joined 2 years ago, and I just checked and found privacy settings were set to hide. My mistake, and one reason no one Happy Birthdayed me. Corrected now. I actually lost the web address for a while after joining and when I was reminded of the site, didn't take time to find it. But for most of the last year, I've been reading posts almost each and every day. I've been following discussions and trying to decide whether I had anything worthwhile to contribute. I usually don't, and I don't want to offend anyone.

This birthday weekend: We went to my mom's and sister's for the July 4 celebration, as well as celebrating my birthday, and stayed overnight. Next day, yesterday, we drove up to Quincy, Il. for a memorial service for a man my wife knew as a sort of second father. Today, we went to Hannibal, Mo. and went through Mark Twain Cave, had lunch at a restaurant at a place called Tom Sawyer Creek, and then shopped for fireworks closeout bargains on the way home (to be used next year). Oh, and posted this thread.

I'll try to contribute more.
Old Jul 7 2008, 12:15 AM   #7
kevia
Ballybran Resident

Tuner

Fan of: Nimisha's Ship
Now Reading: Crystal Line

Well, now that we know, here is a belated

Old Jul 7 2008, 01:24 AM   #8
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

Gryphon/Draco, aside from the obvious failure to to make your birthday obvious on this site, as far as AMCF goes has it not occured to you that in the middle of a holiday weekend the active hosts who you normally interact with might be busy doing other things? I barely saw a single host all weekend, and traffic in general was right down. [Okay, the British ones don't have a holiday, but did you SEE Wimbledon and the Grand Prix yesterday?]

It's not a god-given right to get a celebration thread.

But anyway. Hope you had a nice day.
Old Jul 7 2008, 03:12 AM   #9
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

What's been said earlier: activity (read: posting, contributing) makes you visible. Personally I tend to not participate (and certainly won't start) a birthday thread of someone who I don't see/notice as an active person.

That's no critique and not mentioned as such but I've seen, often on amcf (not so much anymore) and here too, threads started for people who have never even posted anything but happened to fill out their birtdau dat in the profile with it going on the calendar. You will find I do not participate in those.

A belated happy birthday to you.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Jul 7 2008, 03:58 AM   #10
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

We do not mean to ignore you completely, Draco. I was in the same position as you. Chose to hide my b'day then thought no, MoM has been part of my life for the last 3 years and if people wished me , great and if not, it was their choice after all. I think I got more of a response from those on MoM then the people I work with. So "go figure" on that score! Anyway, belated wishes and hope you had a as well.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Jul 7 2008, 08:45 AM   #11
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

I hope you had a happy birthday!

Other than that, I can only concur with most other posters here, you have to be active to get your birthday recognized, and most especially, you have to put it in your profile so that it shows up on the calendar.
Old Jul 7 2008, 10:08 AM   #12
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

I hope you enjoyed your day in Hannibal, it's a nice area. I've got an Uncle that lives there on a large acreage, and a previous family reunion was held there.

Others have made the point about the consequences of a private birthday, so I'll not belabor that point. However, you seem to some misconceptions about how this forum works that I do wish to clear up.
  • Staff does not track daily visitors. The forum software does not provide a way of doing this other than manual daily checks of the member list. Even if we had the time for that, I'm not sure what the value would be.
  • As site owner, I do not have an expectation of my staff to ensure that birthday threads are started for all members who have listed their birthday publicly; they are staff not hosts. While I hope they make forum members feel welcome, that is not part of their expected duties here. They are staff, not hosts.
  • This forum is separate from AMCF. Do not expect this community to be identical to that community because we share a common reason for existence (Anne McCaffrey fandom) and a partial overlap of membership. Also, please do not discuss the perceived failings of that community on this site; that is not what this site is for.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Old Jul 7 2008, 10:38 AM   #13
Shalyn

Location: Loo-a-vull / Luhvuhl / Loo-ih-ville / Loo-a-ville / Looeyville / Lewisville Oh, Heck. Kentuckiana.

No one remembered Cavatica's birthday. Granted, it's not in her profile so that's probably why, but there are enough people here who know when it is/was. *shrugs* These things happen.
Old Jul 7 2008, 10:57 AM   #14
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalyn View Post
No one remembered Cavatica's birthday. Granted, it's not in her profile so that's probably why, but there are enough people here who know when it is/was. *shrugs* These things happen.
Shalyn, if someone doesn't have his/her birthday listed publicly I expect there to be a reason for that, so in Cat's case, instead of starting a topic here I congratulated her on amcf

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Jul 7 2008, 12:19 PM   #15
Nina
Talent

Finder

Fan of: The Talent series
Now Reading: almost a book a day

Happy Birthday, Draco!

I am only on this forum and not the AMCF.

The Rowan is my favourite!

"The name rowan is believed to derive from the Norse runa - "a charm". It was often planted outside houses to ward off witches. On May Day a spray of rowan leaves was hung over doors to repel evil, and wells dressed with rowan to keep witches away. The rowan, or mountain ash, is found commonly in Scotland, sometimes clinging to a rock face."
Old Jul 7 2008, 12:36 PM   #16
Shalyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Shalyn, if someone doesn't have his/her birthday listed publicly I expect there to be a reason for that, so in Cat's case, instead of starting a topic here I congratulated her on amcf
You are right, of course.
Old Jul 7 2008, 03:32 PM   #17
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Happy Birthday! Belated. By the way I do like you icons on both sites her on MoM and NKT too. Newbe I am to both sites, but I am learning.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
Old Jul 7 2008, 07:46 PM   #18
Aristokat
Dragonrider

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: The Years of Rice and Salt

Perhaps you and BD1 can exchange cards next year.
Old Jul 7 2008, 09:32 PM   #19
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

You're Gryphon? I Did Not Know That.

Aristokat: O SNAP.
Old Jul 7 2008, 09:38 PM   #20
Sandi

I'm sorry if you feel slighted but I think most of the reasons have already been covered. Yes, I'm a member of both sites discussed here, but, like a lot of people, I haven't been on the internet as much lately. Also, I rarely post on both sites on a thread that is the same. I know that doesn't apply to the matter of your or Cavatica's birthday but I just thought I'd throw that in there. Sounds like you had a good birthday anyway.
Old Jul 7 2008, 10:04 PM   #21
Allen

Thanks to one and all. I thought my birthday/profile here was set to public, but it wasn't. That's corrected now.

Saturday was sort of a downer, driving from Jonesburg, Mo. to Quincy, Il. just to go to a memorial service for a friend. I had met the man only two or three times, and he was a really great person as far as I'm concerned. Had we had the opportunity, he and I would have probably bonded very strongly. It was not to be. He was, as I think I said, like a second father to my wife. At the service, the minister read Rudyard Kipling's If, as part of the departed's last wishes. I recited it from memory while he did so. My wife said later that when I recited that to her the first time we met in person, she knew we were meant to be together, because by the end of out date, she had decided that besides being myself I was a combination of the three most important men in her life. So while Maurice wasn't much of a drinker at all, I've lifted my glass to his shade, and drank deeply.

I really like caves, and like I said, Sunday I got to go to Mark Twain Cave. It was exactly what I had been told to expect; not a living or wet cave, very few stalagmite/stalagtite formations. But it was history, and I loved everything except the screaming children who had been dragged in by their inconsiderate parents. Children that young don't understand caves; they don't belong, or rather, they shouldn't be subjected to that very special environment. I don't blame them, I blame their parents who are so inconsiderate of their own children. That's what I meant by "inconsiderate parents".

I appreciate the writings of Sam Clemens, so even with disgruntled young'uns, I liked the tour. I still want to do the Cameron Cave at the same complex. It's not wired for lights yet; you do the tour with lanterns. Should be fun, even if it's another dry cave.

Then I want to go back to where it all started for me, over 50 years ago: Mammoth Cave, Mammoth Onyx Cave, and Floyd Collins Crystal Cave, all in Kentucky. Mammoth Cave is the longest cave complex in the world, and they have a bunch of different tours; at least one is very challenging. I understand the Crystal Cave is closed to the public now, but I can always hope it will reopen some day.
Old Jul 7 2008, 10:39 PM   #22
Cavatica
Selkie

Fan of: Pern, Talents
Now Reading: Just finished: House of Suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalyn View Post
It's not in my profile? That's weird.

Whatev'. I wouldn't have been here to know if anyone had congratulated me anyway, I check in here so infrequently. And even if I had been? Damn: is there ANYTHING more juvenile and self-serving than to huff and puff and sigh and whine when no one notices you and your special snowflake self? Honest to Pete.

As if you could even expect any response to that kind of temper tantrum to be genuinely congratulatory.
Old Jul 7 2008, 11:58 PM   #23
Cavatica
Selkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco View Post
So like you said, whatever. It's not all about you, so it must have been wrong. Sorry to have bothered or distracted you, your highness.
The hell are you talking about? This thread is aaaalll about you and your drama. I mean, that's why you started it, right? To complain about how you were overlooked and underappreciated? Aren't you about 50 years too old for that?

And, by the way, I think it's interesting how, out of all of the multitudinous criticisms leveled at you here, mine's the one that gets your raggedy hackles up.

Sorry about your friend and all, truly I am. But if this thread doesn't epitomize attention whoring -- from inexplicable whinging to overwrought explanation of said whinging -- then really, I don't know what does. I calls 'em as I sees 'em.
Old Jul 8 2008, 12:05 AM   #24
Allen

You were right, I was wrong, so I deleted my last post. I'm too tired to worry about anything any more.
Old Jul 8 2008, 12:08 AM   #25
Cavatica
Selkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco View Post
You were right, I was wrong, so I deleted my last post. I'm too tired to worry about anything any more.
Dra-MA. If you're tired, go to bed, and quit feeding me.
Old Jul 8 2008, 02:56 AM   #26
Hans
Master Archivist

Damn, who let that hungry cat out?

*slams door and locks it*

Closed Thread