A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café > Café Archives

Old Aug 16 2007, 11:18 PM   #1
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)
Default Dream Analysis?

Cross-posted from my f'locked LJ, with the names/serial numbers filed off....

Okay, so I had a weird dream and it was actually memorable. I'm trying to decide what, if anything, my subconscious is telling me.

I am me in the dream. I was in a classroom. I had a sense that I had traveled a long, long way to be wherever "here" was. I remember there was yellow paint--I think railings. The classroom was sort of open-air--it had defined walls, but not really a roof and not full walls. I had a sense it was on a pier or some other structure over water. I was sitting or standing looking towards a wall, with a pillar (like a support pillar for the nonexistant ceiling) looking at a cream-colored wall with a green chalkboard and a door to the left. There was a single row of desks between me and this wall. There were students at the desks. I think they were dressed in a way I'd call old-fashioned (could be anywhere from 1930s to a conservative 1960s and it was in a sense I'd call European/English--like you'd see on period costume dramas).

Weird part: I saw one boy that I knew was [Guy With Whom I Have Unresolved Issues]. I've never seen pictures of him when he was younger so I have no idea if it was an accurate imagine, but you know how in a dream you just know things? I'd guess he was probably ten or twelve. He walked past the pillar and suddenly he was his adult self. Now he was wearing black. He looked at me like he was extremely puzzled to see me there--like he knew what HE was doing there, but couldn't think how I got there. Neither of us said anything. I think I might have taken a step towards him, but then either the dream changed or I woke up, I can't remember which.

If I even have a dream-analysis book here and not in Michigan, it's packed away somewhere. Any ideas? I think what weirded me out the most was the last part, because I had the very disturbing feeling of being in someone else's dream and THEY couldn't figure out why they were dreaming about ME. Other people in my dreams usually aren't that clear, and I've never dreamed about [Guy With Whom I Have Unresolved Issues] before. (No, really, I haven't. Shalyn, stop thinking what I know you're thinking.) As I don't have multiple-personality disorder, that I know of, I don't know what my brain is saying there.
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17 2007, 01:03 AM   #2
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow
Default Re: Dream Analysis?

Maybe you should resolve your issues with this boy. Sooner than latter. Maybe for some reason he is suppose to teach you something. Possible something that you need to learn now or it is some thing he needs to do NOW. Is there some reason you have not resolved your issues?

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17 2007, 03:24 AM   #3
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Hmm, I'd think that you very much want to resolve the issues or you either very much want not to (can't make that out). You are/have been feeling superior to this guy (hence him appearing as a child while you are seemingly in control of the situtation). He changes to an adult to display his superiority/your unability (for whatever reasons; might not even be remotely your own but could be) to solve the issues. He clearly does not care to (dares not?) want to spend any energy at resolving the issues as he disappears when you (again) try to approach him.
The older "setting" might point to the fact that these issues are or could be considered old fashioned or are issues you want to be settled an old fashioned (honourable?) way and some (classroom aspect) also indicate that there is pressure on you or him from outside to resolve the issues. The classroom setting may also indictae that you are of have been blamed for the reson of these issues. The pillar usually stands for authority of any kind (which stands - right or not - at his side?)

That's what I can make out; 's my personal opinion of course; not an expert at all.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17 2007, 03:27 AM   #4
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

I think all the dream reflects is that you DO have unresolved issues with the guy. The "what are you doing here?" thing you dreamed him doing screams out to me that you want his acceptance, but it's not being matched from his side of the equation. You're trying to work out scenarios in your subconscious where you can be with him the way you want to be, but you're worried/uncertain/convinced that he doesn't want the same thing. To me, it sounds like it's a stress-dream, of sorts.

Oh, and I agree with a lot of what Hans says as well, particularly the ongoing power/dominance/moral high ground thing that seems to be suggested by the age changes.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17 2007, 08:28 AM   #5
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

My simple suggestion is that you think (subconsciously or otherwise) that he is thinking 'what's this chick doing hanging around in my life'.

But wow, Hans and Kath are good, I'll have to come to them for analysis when I have weird dreams.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17 2007, 09:52 AM   #6
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Lol...maybe the teaching is a role-reversal thing. HE is the one who literally taught ME. (Yes, Shalyn, if you read this, it's him, of course.) Though I'm moving into being a teacher. Maybe his confusion in the dream reflects the confusion that could cause.

I think the disappearing is more realted to the dream ending and/or my waking up than the content of the dream (I *think* this was right before I woke up, but I may have had a dreamless phase/a dream I don't remember between this and waking.) So that I don't think is part of the "storyline."

Mawofone and Kath are probably right--there's definitely a degree of frustration involved. The reason this issues are unresolved: we did something we shouldn't have been doing, he freaked (rightly so--the responsibility for the situation, and the job risk, was his), could have handled it more maturely than he did...possibly the boy/man thing reflects a wish that he'd grow up and deal with it like an adult? The situation's PROFESSIONALLY resolved (he's no longer my private teacher--I think he may be a little hurt/ticked that my private instructors are now his bosses) but not personally. And no, he's not an easy person to just talk to, especially as we're never really in a context where we're alone and it wouldn't look very strange. (See above--basically, we got into personal stuff that we shouldn't have been into while there was still the teacher/student relationship.)
Old Aug 17 2007, 10:03 AM   #7
Hans
Master Archivist

Thought the fact that this was a distress (frustration) dream was obvious; I don;t see any evidence of it being a pleasure dream at this stage

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17 2007, 05:35 PM   #8
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl View Post
But wow, Hans and Kath are good, I'll have to come to them for analysis when I have weird dreams.
Nah... I'm just used to having exceedingly surreal dreams. Since yesterday, I've been wondering why I dreamed I was running a marathon as a boat, wanted to stop six miles in but kept going, but then kept getting side-tracked through old buildings with treasure hidden behind fireplaces (which I eventually was told was cursed. Kudos to me for leaving it be!). Well. That's pretty run-of-the-mill for me. If anyone can make sense of that, please, be my guest!

[Personally, I reckon it's another snowed under with stress vs. ambition vs. morals dream or something, but I could be wrong! Of course, the exhilarating moment when I WAS a ballooning spinnaker at the front of the ship, flying high on the winds until the whole thing fell to pieces and I had to start running on the ground has suddenly just fallen into place. That's obviously pregnancy/miscarriage hopes/fears linked. Mind you, I never realised my subconscious could be so creative!]
Old Aug 18 2007, 08:19 PM   #9
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Were you the one who had the dream about sea lions? Because that was just awesome and the kind of dream I never have. My stress dreams involve someone chasing me (I STILL remember that one I had in high school that involved my friends and I being pursued by a serial killer...though a bowling alley, no less) or evacuating/leaving on a trip. I recently had the weirdest evacuation dream, where we (my family) and I were getting ready to escape from a hurricane or a tidal wave or something, in this very pretty seaside town. It was all very blue. This is the only dream I remember where I wasn't running to or from something, but had the sense of having arrived.
Old Aug 19 2007, 11:18 AM   #10
FlameCat
Dragonrider
Candidate

Now Reading: Grimm's Fairy Tales

i'm always persued in dreams. 2 particular which i've have 2 or 3 times, the same dreams repeated. they're a few years old.

a group of my primary school classmates and I are running from a band of vampires. We hide under a massive bush in a town/village centre. The Vampires form a circle round us. There happens to be a church opposite me and a gap in the circle. I run into the church leaving my classmates to their fate. inside the church it is brightly lit and up some steps in the church is a priest/vicar person faceing the door holding a cross/rosary and a prayer book he is chanting and doesn't notice me, i scream at him to help me and run up to him but he doesn't see me, i hit him still screaming help. the vampire comes in the church (aren't they not allowed in?) and comes up to me and bites my neck. i then wake up.

A massive T-rex is rampaging round my current school and we all just know a tidal wave is coming (we're not on the coast) everyones running up to the sports hall but i know that that is where the tidal wave will hit. So i'm in main school and so it t-rex. my friend is in the phone box and i'm just outside it waiting. t-rex comes along and eats her phone box and all. i flatten myself to the floor and it scrapes my back. it then runs up to the sports hall after everyone else. i climb onto the roof of the school and the tidal wave comes, the water reaches roof hight but me and a few others are ok. i wake up.
FlameCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19 2007, 05:09 PM   #11
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anareth View Post
Were you the one who had the dream about sea lions?
The ones that erupted out of my neighbour's driveway? Yeah, that was me. Man, that was a surreal dream!

Quote:
Because that was just awesome and the kind of dream I never have. My stress dreams involve someone chasing me (I STILL remember that one I had in high school that involved my friends and I being pursued by a serial killer...though a bowling alley, no less) or evacuating/leaving on a trip. I recently had the weirdest evacuation dream, where we (my family) and I were getting ready to escape from a hurricane or a tidal wave or something, in this very pretty seaside town. It was all very blue. This is the only dream I remember where I wasn't running to or from something, but had the sense of having arrived.
My worst stress dreams, I'm running the whole time, and it's like I'm moving through syrup, or porridge, or tar. A constant struggle, and you just don't get anywhere. I hate those.

Most odd moment in a dream - I disagreed with what was happening and consciously tried to change the course of a dream. And at that point, one of the other people present in the dream pulled out a copy of the script and told me to stop messing around, or words to that effect...
Old Aug 19 2007, 05:57 PM   #12
FlameCat
Dragonrider
Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
Most odd moment in a dream - I disagreed with what was happening and consciously tried to change the course of a dream. And at that point, one of the other people present in the dream pulled out a copy of the script and told me to stop messing around, or words to that effect...
wow.. That must've been odd.. did you just give up and follow the script?
Old Aug 19 2007, 08:26 PM   #13
Deb

Fan of: Pern of course!!
Now Reading: The Portrait of Dorian Gray

Strange dreams I've had plenty and I actually keep a journal by my bed in the hopes that I'll remember to write the really odd ones down before I forget them. They are often the basis of the short stories I have written!!

But as to trying to change the course of a dream in motion...every time I try that I end up waking up and have the choice of either shaking the dream off totally....which when it's a bad one I will. Though if it is a fun one that I am trying to direct, I'll try to fall asleep again and allow it to follow the course that it wants to!!
Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19 2007, 08:39 PM   #14
Cheryl
Master Archivist

I've once been able to change the course of a dream, and that was way back in my teens. I was running away from people trying to shoot me, in slow motion -- and with that molasses effect Kath mentioned -- and was ducking/diving behind a parked car but I kept not being fast enough and could tell the bullet was going to hit me. So I would essentially rewind the dream a bit and try again and each time I got a few inches further. Four or so replays and I finally made it safely behind the car before the bullet got to me.

It wasn't so much a case of conscious control, just thinking "that's not right, I can't get shot, let's try that part again and get it right".
Old Aug 19 2007, 08:45 PM   #15
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

I never get the molasses feeling--I'm running full-out, or I'm packing or trying to find my train or whatever I'm getting on and I'm never going to make it, etc--when I stress, I stress full-speed ahead, even asleep!
Old Aug 19 2007, 09:08 PM   #16
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

I used to have awful nightmares when I was a kid, but the odd thing was I knew I was asleep. When I got to be about 8 or 9 I figured out that if I closed my eyes very tightly in my dream/nightmare, and wished for the dream to change it almost always would! I still know I'm dreaming, and I still have occasional bad ones, but I don't bother changing them any more, as they seem to have toned down over time. I'll still sometimes have the old "can't find my locker/can't remember the combination/lost my homework/can't find the classroom - dream.

Has anyone had a dream within a dream? Where you fall asleep in RL, have a dream in which you fall asleep, wake up in that dream someplace else, wake up from that one back in the first dream, and finally wake up back in RL again? I did it just once. I dreamt I was in the guest bedroom of our house. The bed was covered with fabulous gems and jewelry. I got really tired and lay down for a nap on the bed. I "woke" up on our beach, where I was digging in the sand. That dream had something scarey in it, so I remember wanting to get out of there. So, I did my "lemme out of here" tactic, and went back to the spare bedroom dream. At that point I remember trying to stuff as many of the jewels in my clothes as I could because I was convinced that if I had them "on" me they'd still be there when I woke up. Sad to say, it didn't work!
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19 2007, 09:38 PM   #17
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

When ever I have to get up extra early I will dream that I am awake ane doing what I need to be doing, than all of suddin I will relixe I am dream. I tend to go an all knight like that.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

Old Aug 19 2007, 10:00 PM   #18
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

Not quite, but similar. I'll dream that I woke up in my own room, maybe late for something, and be doing something mostly normal like putting away new clothes or books. But I'll know I'm dreaming and try to wake myself up. Sometimes I actually wake up, other times I wake up in a different dream looking at a strange clock or one that we used to have before I actually wake up.

I only really get weird dreams when I'm thirsty, it seems. I'll think something's in the bed with me and try to move or scream, but be unable to. It's usually an animal, like a growling dog or a snake. Then I'll finally either manage to really move or wake myself up by thinking of something else, knowing the entire time it's a dream. I've even learned to create dreams to help me get to sleep when I'm feeling restless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla View Post

Has anyone had a dream within a dream? Where you fall asleep in RL, have a dream in which you fall asleep, wake up in that dream someplace else, wake up from that one back in the first dream, and finally wake up back in RL again? I did it just once. I dreamt I was in the guest bedroom of our house. The bed was covered with fabulous gems and jewelry. I got really tired and lay down for a nap on the bed. I "woke" up on our beach, where I was digging in the sand. That dream had something scarey in it, so I remember wanting to get out of there. So, I did my "lemme out of here" tactic, and went back to the spare bedroom dream. At that point I remember trying to stuff as many of the jewels in my clothes as I could because I was convinced that if I had them "on" me they'd still be there when I woke up. Sad to say, it didn't work!

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19 2007, 10:59 PM   #19
Sandi

I've often had dreams within dreams kinds of things. Something will be going on and I'll realize I'm dreaming and then I dream that I wake up and other things happen and when I actually do wake up I feel sort of disoriented for a few minutes.

Most of the time I forget my dreams shortly after waking, even those I want to remember. I have had a few that I have remembered many years later. When my daughter was only a few months old I had a dream that she was about 3 or so and running away and I was chasing her and finally caught her just at the brink of a deep pit filled with all sorts of snakes and even dinosaur-like critters. That one has stuck with me all these years (My daughter is now 29). Another that sticks to me was a few weeks after my mother died (1995). My daughter and I were sitting in a restaurant and I looked up and saw my mother sitting at another table with some other people. I asked her why she didn't come and sit with us and she gave me this most beautiful smile and said "I can't sit with you now, I'm in my heavenly home now."

I guess both of those are fairly easy to figure out but it does seem odd that they have stayed so sharp and come so often to my waking mind.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20 2007, 02:58 AM   #20
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameCat View Post
wow.. That must've been odd.. did you just give up and follow the script?
I think I just stood there in gobsmacked outrage, and it went on around me.
Old Aug 20 2007, 04:27 AM   #21
Joz
Eskay

Fan of: The Crystal Singer

I've managed to solve a few recurring dreams over time - solved the getting on and off trains one, and the tornados coming to kill me, although those ones are back at the moment without the killer aspect...anyway I've been having dreams about toilets, trying to find a toilet to go on but they are all too exposed and open where people can see me (and these are like large public toilet blocks). I had one last night and at one point decided that I would just go, regardless of who would see, and when I flushed it all these trinkety stick pins and medallions came out of it. The guide rushed up at that point and said we could only take one each! (I was on a bus tour of Paris with my mother.) Which reminds me, there also the ones about spiders coming to kill me too!
Joz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20 2007, 08:44 AM   #22
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joz View Post
anyway I've been having dreams about toilets, trying to find a toilet to go on but they are all too exposed and open where people can see me (and these are like large public toilet blocks). I had one last night and at one point decided that I would just go, regardless of who would see, and when I flushed it all these trinkety stick pins and medallions came out of it.
You have those dreams too? There are never any doors, and usually there's water pouring out the top when I have that dream. They seem to be similar to naked dreams as well, with the whole urgent/hide/shame thing - except that in my naked dreams, no-one notices that anything's different with me.
Old Aug 20 2007, 08:53 AM   #23
Cheryl
Master Archivist

I have those, or similar ones wherein I can't find a normal potty to save my life, but what I eventually find isn't in view of others. Generally it's a sign of needing to wake up and use the real loo. Apparently my subconscious loses creativity when my bladder's full.
Old Aug 20 2007, 09:08 AM   #24
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

Oh, Cheryl! I haven't laughed out loud at a post in a very long time! Thank you!
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20 2007, 02:49 PM   #25
FlameCat
Dragonrider
Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl View Post
I have those, or similar ones wherein I can't find a normal potty to save my life, but what I eventually find isn't in view of others. Generally it's a sign of needing to wake up and use the real loo. Apparently my subconscious loses creativity when my bladder's full.
yup i agree, although why i owned a pet mouse with three heads, made out of rags, but was alive in that dream i'll never know.

I've had some awful days up to a year ago when i woke up to find it was a saturday with a lie in. Then i woke up again and it was a thursday and i was late for school. i was a really confusing couple of weeks and i couldn't figure out what was a dream and what wasn't

I can't change a dream i don't like because i can't get out of the dream and if i try to change whats happening in the dream it jams, like a scratched dvd or wrecked video.. ...bizarre...
Old Aug 20 2007, 02:56 PM   #26
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Useualy when I dream I can not move or that there is some thing on me I wake up to find a cat on top of me. That happens quit a lot.
Does anyone dream they are flying, without help).

Old Aug 20 2007, 03:01 PM   #27
FlameCat
Dragonrider
Candidate

my cat is not allowed upstairs so that doesn't happen, anyway she'd probs get hurt, i'm a messy sleeper.
I might have done Maw.. I have been on a dragon flight once tho'
Old Aug 20 2007, 04:01 PM   #28
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

My cat comes to see if I'll pet her, but she's a fraidy cat. If I twitch or move around she jumps off the bed and runs.

Old Aug 20 2007, 04:06 PM   #29
sjslack
JourneyWoman woodsmith

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: as usual

I used to have dreams / nightmares most every night when I was younger, then I went through a spell of having a recurring dream every night for about 8 months or so.

In terms of 'directing dreams' and whatnot, I find it relatively easy to turn a dream in a certain direction, or to switch it around should it be getting closer to a nightmare. Neat little trick.

You can actually buy 'dream diaries' from certain places now. They have general meanings in them, and you can write down each night (sort of like a regular diary) as to what dream you had and what it meant.
sjslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20 2007, 06:30 PM   #30
FlameCat
Dragonrider
Candidate

yeh, i found one lying around the house, it was amusing...
Old Aug 20 2007, 11:28 PM   #31
Seanie
Loo Cow

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: Glenda Larke - Mirrage Makers

Interesting topic!!!

I dont usually remember my dreams, but the ones that I do rememebr make me wish I could control them or get out of them when I wanted... I've had a few scary ones & one fairly upsetting one that used to repeat; about a year after my pet rats died, I started dreaming that they were still alive & I'd forgotten them so they were starving in their cage. I woke up with the most guilty upsetting feeling & almost went to the cage a few times to check for them before I would realise that I had been dreaming & my poor rats were long gone

The scariest dream experience I can remember wasnt even that scary of a dream, it was so scary because I got kinda stuck in it & ended up having a panic attack

I was dreaming that I was in our old lounge room & couldnt get out because the door had been walled in, it was confusing more than distressing to start with, then i kinda woke up & thought i was still in that lounge room & i still couldnt find the door. I needed to pee & ended up crying & screaming & scratching at the wall where i thought the door should have been. I woke up properly to my mum coming through the actual door (on the other side of my bedroom) wondering what all the noise was, I think she was nearly as scared as me to see me curled up in a ball on the floor in hysterics because i couldnt find my bedroom door... It sounds quite funny now, but at the time it was so very scary, I didnt get back to sleep for hours that night because I was so shaken up, I remember sitting on my bed with my arms wrapped arround my knees & getting more & more freaked out at what had happenned because it was so strange & I couldnt understand it myself let alone explain it to my mum.

Last edited by Seanie; Aug 20 2007 at 11:49 PM.
Seanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21 2007, 12:02 AM   #32
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Now that reminds me of something... a while ago, for some reason, I thought I was in my old bedroom and things were out of place. I was still awake a little, but sleepy. Must have been a trick of the light or something, so that my closet door seemed like it should be a wall and the actual bedroom door the closet door. My current closet has white double doors that match the wall. But about five years ago my closet door waas brown and next to the bedroom door. Kept thinking there should be another window and that wall at the foot of my bed was too far away.
What makes this even weirder is that we moved once between then and now, so it was actually two bedrooms ago.

Old Aug 21 2007, 08:03 AM   #33
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Okay, I had an odd one this morning, which I remember about half of:

I know this wasn't the start of it, but my memory picks up with me and hubby at a high school reunion (not really a formal reunion, but an informal gathering of the people we knew from school). I'm having fun hanging out and chatting (odd cause I wasn't that social in school), but hubby isn't -- as if he doesn't know these people, but he should have. And the father of someone is there, I'd never met him before but guessed who he was which surprised him (but come on, he was Indian and there just two Indian students in my social circle, the other of which I did know her father). Even though it was around midnight, I wanted to stay longer, but hubby clearly wanted to go so I agreed.

After driving for a while we stopped at a restaurant that he apparantly visited a lot on business trips, but then oddly he started working as the maitre'd, which he clearly did as a side gig and was quite good at. I sat nearby and watched him work, and maybe had something to eat or maybe just a drink. A child at the table next to me grabbed my sleeve and wouldn't let go (and this wasn't a little child, but a 10 yr old). After several exhortations to let go of me, I spoke to her father. Her older sister did something bratty too and I made a slightly nasty comment to the father about the two of them needing discipline, and he got up and walked away. I thought at first he was giving himself a time-out, but he may just have been ignoring me and leaving.

Cut to me being back home and hubby still working at the restaurant (in the wee hours of the morning now). I'm tired but I get on the computer and check on what hubby is up to via IM. Somehow the program works that I can see what IM conversations he's in, and find he's having a video call with my mother. That's odd enough, and I flash to a future conversation of hubby saying that, yeah they chat sometimes and have gotten to know each other better, and next thing I know I'm back in the present and my mom has taken off her bathrobe and is showing off her bra and I'm thinking WTF?! I'm getting ready to confront her in my mind but start rejecting the whole thing as having to have a logical, benign explanation, and the dream shifts to something different again. And then I get woken up (by my kids, not voluntarily ending the dream).

So, who's got an explanation for any of that?
Old Aug 21 2007, 08:15 AM   #34
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

a reverse Oedipus complex (Jocasta?)?

jealous of your mother's freedom (from kids?)

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22 2007, 05:30 PM   #35
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

The last dream that I rember was 2 nights ago I had eaten something that had disagreed with me & my stomche was bothering me. I dreamed I had to have my apenix removed & could not go to Dragoncon. My niece Melissa went instead of me. My Mother kept saying that she would take me next year but that did not make me feel any better. I woke up VERY upset.

Old Aug 22 2007, 07:15 PM   #36
FlameCat
Dragonrider
Candidate

A little nerves perhaps? not wanting anything to spoil an exciting long looked forward to trip...?