A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Aug 31 2011, 08:27 PM   #1
Kat
Journeywoman archivist

Fan of: DRoP
Now Reading: Sky Dragons
Question Question about Jayge.

Is Jayge ever considered a *Lord Holder*.?

I admit to being far too lazy to start digging around when I figure someone could answer it faster here. .

Thanks in advance.
Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31 2011, 10:00 PM   #2
Biotrooper
Curlycorn

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: Re-reading Pern novels
Default Re: Question about Jayge.

I think he was always referred to as "Holder Jayge" I think that was also in the bargain deal to get Sharra for Jaxom. If he would have made title of LH, I think Toric would have went nuts since he fought long and hard to get the title of LH. Toric's goal I think was to become the ruler of all of the southern continent and oppose the north and Benden.
Biotrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31 2011, 10:17 PM   #3
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

In Skies of Pern it was Holder Jayge, that told Tia she rode a lovely green.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1 2011, 01:18 AM   #4
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

I don't think so. That's not to say it won't happen in the future, but Pern's in for a lot of changes.

* Right now, Jayge doesn't have any subsidiary Holds that look to him for support

* The centralised support networks of the major Holds, and how they tithed to the Weyrs, has kept the need for Lords Holder. That need is going to change in the next fifty years with Thread gone and the South opening up.

* The conclave is going to lose influence anyway - decision-making will inevitably become more democratic once education expands and life loses its war-time footing.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1 2011, 12:22 PM   #5
Eriflor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biotrooper View Post
I think he was always referred to as "Holder Jayge" I think that was also in the bargain deal to get Sharra for Jaxom. If he would have made title of LH, I think Toric would have went nuts since he fought long and hard to get the title of LH. Toric's goal I think was to become the ruler of all of the southern continent and oppose the north and Benden.
The subject of Jayge's holding wasn't raised at the meeting where Toric's Holding was confirmed, during the early digging at Landing. Piemur was the only person who knew about Jayge and Paradise River at the time.
Eriflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1 2011, 04:12 PM   #6
Dreamin of Dragons
Loo Cow

Fan of: Favorite? OMG-All of them
Now Reading: fan fiction

Piemur did make sure F'lar and Lessa had a record of Paridise Hold though, and that Jayge and Arimana were the Holders. Not sure which book.
Dreamin of Dragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1 2011, 04:14 PM   #7
Almaron
Weyr Harper

Fan of: White Dragon - Yay Ruth!

Quote:
* Right now, Jayge doesn't have any subsidiary Holds that look to him for support
I thought he did, though; doesn't the second DLG state that there's several minor holdings established along the river that he supports (South Bend Hold, for one)? I recall Skies Of Pern oddly stating he was Lord Holder of Benini Hold (in Jordan Province) as well as Paradise River Hold, although the former is more likely an error - unless Jayge is only called Lord Holder in the eastern regions because there isn't a Major Holder for the settlements there, and thus he's the closest thing they have to one.

I think by SOP Paradise River is certainly large enough to warrant Major Hold status - it's one of the most populated areas in the east, next to Monaco Bay Weyr (plus the cotholds) and Landing. It's also worth noting that the minor holds being founded in the region would probably look to Paradise River for support, at least while they're getting started.

I could be wrong; I think I need to have another look at the books again for references. But I'm sure that Jayge should be considered a Lord Holder; I made him one in that fic I wrote to support this.
Almaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1 2011, 05:03 PM   #8
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaron View Post
I thought he did, though; doesn't the second DLG state that there's several minor holdings established along the river that he supports (South Bend Hold, for one)? I recall Skies Of Pern oddly stating he was Lord Holder of Benini Hold (in Jordan Province) as well as Paradise River Hold, although the former is more likely an error - unless Jayge is only called Lord Holder in the eastern regions because there isn't a Major Holder for the settlements there, and thus he's the closest thing they have to one.

I think by SOP Paradise River is certainly large enough to warrant Major Hold status - it's one of the most populated areas in the east, next to Monaco Bay Weyr (plus the cotholds) and Landing. It's also worth noting that the minor holds being founded in the region would probably look to Paradise River for support, at least while they're getting started.

I could be wrong; I think I need to have another look at the books again for references. But I'm sure that Jayge should be considered a Lord Holder; I made him one in that fic I wrote to support this.
I could be wrong too! My memory of SOP is pretty flaky. I knew he had outlying holdings, but didn't think they were quite up to Holder status themselves, or enough to tip Jayge into the LH group.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1 2011, 07:47 PM   #9
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamin of Dragons View Post
Piemur did make sure F'lar and Lessa had a record of Paridise Hold though, and that Jayge and Arimana were the Holders. Not sure which book.
RoP - Renegades of Pern When Piemur, found them, after they found the maps, also Robinton, F'lar aid him in confirming his rankAtWoP - All the Weyrs of Pern, there was a fine sand pit, in the scrub land around the hold, good for glass making,
DoP - The Dolphins of Pern, Pardise River and Paradise River Sea Hold, which is How Jayge's son Readis and Alemi got saved, it on the back cover that say Lord Holder Jayge, I think, my paperback is hard to read, He could be a minor Lord Holder Something in Dragonquest, the Steward called some to that remark, Also they helped moved them down river, beyond the Hold's boundaries, that they helped check out
SoP - The Skies of Pern, as I posted before. After the "Fireball Flood", Paradise River is helping in restoring trees to Monaco area
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1 2011, 08:16 PM   #10
Kat
Journeywoman archivist

Fan of: DRoP
Now Reading: Sky Dragons

well at least I've got a discussion started. I guess I'll need to try digging around the books.

I'm cleaning/updating my map.And have the legend seperated in different columns. If he is considered one then Paradise River has to go over with the major Holds... if not it'll stay in the minor. The hubby asked me how old my map was I guess- timated older than the kid.It's looking pretty good for the moves and such but there's been quite a few books since so I thought I'd take care of it.
Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1 2011, 09:50 PM   #11
Bob12
Heavyworlder

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern

I just did a search and found a passage in Dolphins of Pern: "We don't have much of one at Ruatha," Jaxom said with immense good humor. "And speaking of my wife, I'd best get back to her. Surprise her with my early return. So I have your permission, Lord Holder, to use Paradise River sands . . ." He turned to Jayge.

However, it appears that Jaxom is just being overly courteous as Jayge is referred to several times in the same passage as "Lord of Paradise River" and "Readis will follow you as Holder of Paradise River."