A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Jun 30 2011, 04:57 PM   #1
Lily

Default Southern

A group of riders took a clutch of young dragons ten years back to Southern in an endeavour to increase the population of fighting dragons.

At some stage some of them came back to "now" but some stayed behind.

This brings up the confusing problem of what happened when the ten years was up. The group that stayed would always be ten years behind the rest of Pern.

So it seems to be, they would have all had to jump back to "now" and then return to Southern in "now" time.

Can anyone confirm my confusion on this matter???
Old Jun 30 2011, 06:57 PM   #2
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts
Default Re: Southern

I always took that to mean the dragons returned to "now" but in Southern. Otherwise, F'nor and Lessa would've found them when they flew to the southern continent.

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30 2011, 07:39 PM   #3
kevia
Ballybran Resident

Tuner

Fan of: Nimisha's Ship
Now Reading: Crystal Line

F'nor and Lessa went back ten turns and then flew to Southern.
Old Jun 30 2011, 09:52 PM   #4
Eriflor

To the best of my knowledge only the riders and dragons went back in time, and they ALL came back to the present to fight Thread. I think they were meant to navigate back to Benden Weyr by the stars, to a couple of days later than when they left.

Of course there's that retcon in Renegades (or was it Skies? there was a whole thread on this) that suggests that Toric also went south with them, and stayed on when the others went forward to maintain his Hold. That would mean he'd have been alone for 6 or 7 turns. But he wasn't mentioned in Dragonflight, and was a minor character ("one of the younger men, the ground-crew chief") in Dragonquest.
Eriflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30 2011, 11:38 PM   #5
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriflor View Post
To the best of my knowledge only the riders and dragons went back in time, and they ALL came back to the present to fight Thread.<sinp> Yes, R'gul as watch rider, reported that F'nor came back with new dragons/riders which he didn't think would be able to fight, unknowning of Lessa's Time Jump, He got suprized when the bronzes of the other Weyrs came for the meeting.

Of course there's that retcon in Renegades of Pern, suggests that Toric also went south with them, and stayed on when the others went forward to maintain his Hold, and was a minor character ("one of the younger men, the ground-crew chief")<snip> and seaholder, for his folks were trying to build stables before the bad storm came, in Dragonquest.
He was in Benden Hold, and didn't impress at that first hatching, right after the Lords were stopped, right after queen's first fight.
His leaving of his famiy's hold off Ista Island, started something, when a batch of his brothers and sister left after him, He when looking for them after the time in Dragonflight, to come south to help him hold I think.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1 2011, 09:22 PM   #6
Brenda

I think they were talking at the end of DF about restablishing the Southern Weyr - they had gone back in the present day and found that things were mostly in good condition. I think that's when the Hold was being established.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4 2011, 06:57 AM   #7
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

I always took it that toric went back south when Southern was refounded in the 'present' time.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote