A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Cafť > Cafť Archives

Old May 30 2009, 03:06 PM   #1
unicorntig
Dragonrider

Candidate

Fan of: Pern Series
Default Update On My Graduate School Search!! :)

I just wanted to take a moment and thank everyone for their wishes and encouragement as I went on interviews and searched for graduate schools for this fall.

With that said I have an announcement to make ---> I will be attending SUNY Fredonia this fall for my MS in biology!!

I went and visited yesterday with my Fredonia advisor, Professor Kazial and she is amazing!! I couldnít ask for a better advisor for my masterís degree. During my visit she showed me around the campus and it reminds me a lot of Utica College. The labs though older are in good shape and the other Professors I was able to meet are very nice. I will be very happy in Fredonia this fall. Iíll be working on conservation with the little brown bat and thatís very exciting for me!

Iím sure youíre all wondering what happened with Hood College, so to make a long story short here are the basic details. Although the college has great faculty and new labsÖ they quality of their program was severely lacking. I finally gave up, because they werenít bothering to give me updates on the graduate assistantship.

My mom and I will be heading back out to Fredonia next week to start looking for an apartment for me. Thankfully Fredonia is at max a 4 hour driveÖ so going back and forth in one day isnít too bad.

Iíll be sure to keep you updated if Iím awarded the graduate assistantship (TAship) at Fredonia. I was told by Professor Kazial that decisions on that will be made next week. Iím hoping to get the TAship because then my tuition will be waived and Iíll also get a stipend. Not too much moneyÖ but enough to pay an apartment and food. Eitherway I am happy to have a place to go in the fall, and even without the TAship, paying for tuition and apartment wonít be too bad, especially since itís a state school.

Thanks again to everyone for all your wishes and encouragement.
Old May 30 2009, 05:44 PM   #2
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)
Default Re: Update On My Graduate School Search!! :)

Congratulations Laura! It just goes to show the importance of visiting colleges in person, to get a real feel for the program, faculty, facilities, etc. I'm sorry you won't end up near me, but it's a well-made decision to head to Fredonia. Fingers are crossed for the TAship.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2009, 03:42 AM   #3
Hans
Master Archivist

I'm happy for you Laura, but, where is Fredonia? It sound like something out of a fantasy novel

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2009, 10:06 AM   #4
unicorntig
Dragonrider

Candidate

Fredonia is located just outside of Buffalo, New York. It's about 3.5-4hrs from where I live in Utica, NY.

it does sound like something out of a fantasy novel... although the area in question leaves much to want for. Thankfully, Buffalo is only 30 minutes away so I always find what I need there. Fredonia is your typical small college town with sparse businesses and but nice scenery
Old May 31 2009, 02:47 PM   #5
Hans
Master Archivist

And the founder's name was Fred?

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2009, 06:24 PM   #6
Kater
Menetteth's Rider
Weyrling

Fan of: Pern, Tower, and Pegasus
Now Reading: Watchers by Dean Koontz

Congrats Laura!!

Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore
Kater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2009, 07:13 PM   #7
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Perhaps his full name was Fred Onia (or should I respell it to say ONYA ).

Good luck with getting into university, where-ever it ends up being. Who knows, you may find a few Anne McCaffrey fans there.....

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2 2009, 10:20 AM   #8
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

Congratulations! I hope you have a wonderful time! Good luck with the scholarship!
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2 2009, 10:45 AM   #9
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

My "Fred" just finished his Master's in Accounting "down the road" from Fredonia, in Syracuse! As a side note, there is a small branch of SUNY located in Syracuse that is their forestry school. They graduate every year in the same ceremony as the Syracuse U. students. They wear dark green caps and gowns and are by far the smallest and most vocal group of graduates in the crowd! Best of luck to you, unicorntig! I'll bet you get a LOT of lake effect snow in that area, even more than at Syracuse! Almost forgot, Fred got a TA job his second semester. It was a lot of work for him. It was the professor's first year teaching and he said she even sat in on some of his classes (we think it was to get some "pointers") However, he felt it was a good thing for him because teaching the class forced him to really think about and learn the material so that he could explain it to the undergrads.

Last edited by Priscilla; Jun 2 2009 at 11:20 AM.
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2 2009, 10:52 AM   #10
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

Congrats!

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2 2009, 07:51 PM   #11
unicorntig
Dragonrider

Candidate

Haha very funny Hans and Jube... you both make me wonder where the college name came from now, lol.

I do hope to find some fellow Anne McCaffrey fans. I'm searching for a roommate right now, so we'll see.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the scholarship!! It would certainly take a load off myself and my family having everything paid for.
Old Jun 2 2009, 08:01 PM   #12
unicorntig
Dragonrider

Candidate

Priscilla thatís good to hear about your Fred. Syracuse is about 30 minutes away from my current location in Utica, NY.

I had actually applied to SUNY ESF (the forestry school)Ö however I was denied entry. Unfortunetly with todayís economy not many schools have funding for graduate students. SUNY ESF is one of those schools where you only get accepted if youíre funded. I had heard over 300 applied and of that only 5 or so got in.

I am lucky that even if I donít get the teaching-assistantship (TAship) to Fredonia, I can still go and pay my way through. It's one of the only NY schools that allows it. This is mostly because research is conducted during the summer and not during the school year. That way if you have to work, you can. Otherwise most colleges figure if you have to work, you wonít have enough time for research. If I get the TAship then Iíll be teaching 2-3 labs a week. The first lab is always taught by the professor which Iíll sit through, the next 2-3 Iíll teach by myself with the help of undergraduate TAís. Iíd like the TAship not only for the tuition waiver and stipend, but also because I love to TA and it would be great to help a new group of students through.

Hopefully Iíll know by the end of this week.
Old Jun 3 2009, 01:33 AM   #13
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Quote:
The name "Fredonia" was coined by Samuel Latham Mitchill (who sounds like he had Aspergers Syndrome), coupling the English word "freedom" with a Latin ending. He proposed it as a replacement name for "The United States". It failed in that regard, but became the name of many towns and cities (12 or so).
Quote:
Also avariant spelling for Freedonia, the Marx Brothers' imaginary country.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)

Last edited by P'ter; Jun 3 2009 at 01:35 AM. Reason: quote marking
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote