A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Exhibit Hall

Exhibit Hall For the exhibition of artistic creations by our members, from poetry and prose to drawings, photography, and digital art.

Old Feb 14 2008, 07:07 AM   #41
Brighid
Dragonrider

Fan of: Pern series
Now Reading: History of Tea
Default Re: P'ter and Wrath

I can't help but think that at first glance this is not a drawing but in fact a sculpture of some sort or, even better the real thing ;-). The depth that you have put into your artwork is beutiful.
Brighid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14 2008, 12:01 PM   #42
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Thank you very kindly for your lovely comments ...I have been honing my craft for a very long time now...with lots and lots of practice hopefully, comes some degree of skill.

I have done sculpture in the past...and it does help a lot in teaching artists demention and depth in their paintings and drawings.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14 2008, 12:53 PM   #43
Lara
Whacky Wordsmith

Fan of: Pern,Petaybee,Freedom
Now Reading: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Have you met P'ter personally, Master Maelin? There is a warmth and depth in this painting that I find exceptional. One can "see" the subject in a way that can hardly be possible in the portrayal of a fictional character.
Of all the portraits I have seen by your hand, this is the one that most engages feeling - for me, at any rate.
Lara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14 2008, 03:57 PM   #44
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Lara, Yes I was very fortunate to have the pleasure of meeting Peter in Copenhagen this last September. We got to spend some very pleasant time talking and getting to know each other better...along with several other of the MoM members. He is indeed a very gracious and handsome gentleman..with a very enjoyable sence of humor.

Thank you for you compliments...glad you are enjoying this one so much.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Feb 14 2008, 05:21 PM   #45
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Lady M: you're making me blush

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14 2008, 07:12 PM   #46
Allana
Greenrider 'Lana

Candidate

Fan of: Crystal, Pern, Dino P.
Now Reading: The Death of Artemio Cruz, Fuentes

Oh wow! How did I miss this? What a great looking dragon, P'ter. You must be proud.
Allana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15 2008, 03:56 PM   #47
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

Wow! Another truly stunning drawing. You really deserve your mastery, Lady M!
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15 2008, 06:22 PM   #48
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Thank you Allana and Granath...glad your enjoying it.

Old Feb 17 2008, 04:11 PM   #49
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Right Lady M: you've shown them your picture of me. Now show them the sketch I did of you at Eurocon?

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

Old Feb 17 2008, 06:21 PM   #50
sjslack
JourneyWoman woodsmith

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: as usual

Did anyone take a picture of that legendary tablecloth!? I can't believe I didn't think to do that. >.<
sjslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18 2008, 08:55 AM   #51
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

I cut the piece out and gave it to her.

Whether she's still got it is another matter!

C. S. Lewis

Old Feb 18 2008, 11:25 AM   #52
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Yes Peter and Sara, I do still have the doodle...I just can't remember what book I put it in for safe keeping and if you remember I came home with a rather large stack of books. When I find it I'll put it up....but not as a drawing of me......as I don't remember that your doodle was of me...but rather just a doodle of distraction at the end of our interesting meal...while waiting for Hans to start his memorible speech.

Old Mar 6 2008, 06:17 PM   #53
dave86

this isnt just for the picture of my farther in law its for all the pictures in the gallery aswell, i love my art but sheeesh theres no way i cud ever y draw as good as lady-m they are fantastic and im very impressed and would love to be able to draw like yourself
Old Mar 6 2008, 10:58 PM   #54
Gwina
Talent Telempath-Healer

Fan of: white dragon, tower/hive
Now Reading: Insurgent, The Last Apprentice, Damia (again)

It's just stunning, Master Maelin. Absolutely stunning. Such life is placed in your work. No duplication is possible. I really love the colors in this one. Beautiful!

Congrats P'ter!!! The world of Pern continues to grow.
"Whatever zapped me seems to have burned off the outlived dross and stupidities any human collects along the way. I don't mind being two hundred and fifteen years old. In fact, it's fun, in a bizarre fashion."
Gwina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6 2008, 11:59 PM   #55
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Thank you very much Dave, for you kind words...enjoying your art is the most important thing...I love doing what I do, and when others can enjoy it too...that makes it all the more enjoyable for me.

Gwina, thank you for your very lovely words...since I had met Peter in Copenhagen, it was much easier to do his portriat. Glad you are enjoying it.

Old Mar 7 2008, 04:23 AM   #56
dave86

lady mealin theres no need to say thank-you its all the truth i think your art is stunning even tho i have designed my own dragon tattoo there is no way i cud draw like that, I love doin my art when i have time to do it but with 4 kids runing around you most of the day i get i get ditracted by them and then i loose all centracetion on the picture but in the future i think i will actually sit in my room and draw so i can actually get a picture finished l
Old Mar 9 2008, 07:51 PM   #57
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Dave, there are times when I also find myself getting very distracted. When I had the kids underfoot and still wanted to do my work...I just went and bought them paper and pencils of their own, and taught them how to draw pictures too....then I had all the time I needed to do my work, and they loved doing their own projects too. They are older now...and still enjoy drawing things and sending them to me...I have some very interesting and lovely pictures hanging on my walls...that I didn't do...and I love them the best. Keep working and learning...and some day you will have your own work hanging on your walls to look at and enjoy. Good Luck !!!

Old Mar 9 2008, 08:02 PM   #58
Shalyn

Location: Loo-a-vull / Luhvuhl / Loo-ih-ville / Loo-a-ville / Looeyville / Lewisville Oh, Heck. Kentuckiana.
Fan of: Dragonflight

I can't believe I missed this! I love the size of the dragon's head, so close to P'ter. Very nice, Lady Master M!
Shalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10 2008, 06:23 PM   #59
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Thank you Shayln glad your enjoying it...you've been a bit busy yourself these last few months creating your lovely dragons... so its no wonder you might have missed a thread or few.

Old Mar 13 2008, 02:46 AM   #60
Dragongirl
.:. Baroness von Imp .:.
Weyrling

Fan of: I do not 'fan'. I obsess.
Now Reading: The Book of Lost Things - John Connelly.

I just had this image...

Grandpa P'ter: Don't give me that look granddaughter! You might be a Weyrwoman now but remember who taught you about all that life shamozzle when you were still a Weyrling!

Goldrider Sam: Aw but!

Wrath: *growls*

Kulith: ...*backs away from the brown*

Grandpa P'ter: *arches eyebrow*

Sam: ...alright, alright. ><

Damn.

Those who seek to create war are mongrels and fools, but the blood they spill as a result is never meaningless. - Lucrezia Noin

When someone is grieving for what they've lost, you can't really say you know how they feel, or how they should handle things. Because even if you've lost too, everyone grieves differently. Anyone who says otherwise are presumptuous idiots.-Hayley (My friend can be an astonishing wealth of wisdom)
Dragongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13 2008, 08:54 AM   #61
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

You mean we finally found something that can keep you in line *Little Missy ...NAW...I don't think soooo !!!

Old Mar 13 2008, 09:41 AM   #62
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

I think Wrath is more likely to keep her in line than my eyebrow, potent though that is.

The one for keeping the g'kids in order is "Do I have to look at you OVER my glasses?"

I just hope she doesn't decide to try showjumping a dragon!

C. S. Lewis

Old Mar 14 2008, 12:03 PM   #63
Nina
Talent

Finder

Fan of: The Talent series
Now Reading: almost a book a day

WOW what a picture so full of life and joy - and the underlying things about to happen!

Congratulations Lady Maelin and P'ter!

The Rowan is my favourite!

"The name rowan is believed to derive from the Norse runa - "a charm". It was often planted outside houses to ward off witches. On May Day a spray of rowan leaves was hung over doors to repel evil, and wells dressed with rowan to keep witches away. The rowan, or mountain ash, is found commonly in Scotland, sometimes clinging to a rock face."
Nina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14 2008, 01:02 PM   #64
Cherlyn
Crafter

Fan of: P.E.R.N.
Now Reading: 'Winds of Fate'by Mercedes Lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
I just hope she doesn't decide to try showjumping a dragon!
It would be better than barnstorming a dragon don't you think?
Cherlyn (Cheryl #2 - "The Okie One") aka The Cheesaholic, Chocoholic Packrat and seeker of anti-ques and junque...
Click:. . .F.R.O.G. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .@<. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
"I just got back from the hospital. I had a speed reading accident; I hit a bookmark." ~ Unknown
Cherlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14 2008, 01:06 PM   #65
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Nina...thank you kindly for your compliments...glad that you have enjoyed it.

Old Mar 14 2008, 11:25 PM   #66
Sandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherlyn View Post
It would be better than barnstorming a dragon don't you think?
I took up showjumping at one point in my life. After a while it became more like work than recreation and I gradually switched to trail riding. But even so, that had its limitations as well. Now barnstorming a dragon..........such possibilities there. Maybe even a possible sideline for interval and post-Fall dragons. Come to think of it, they did put on a show at the beginning of Dragon's Eye/RSR!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15 2008, 10:20 AM   #67
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Oh Lord Sandi, I can see you now...barnstorming on a lovely Green dragon...with lots of colorful ribbons around her neck blowing in the breeze...while to two of you do artful tail spins right above gather folk heads...wink!!

Old Mar 15 2008, 11:19 PM   #68
Sandi

Oh what dreams are woven from a casual remark! I've been giving some thought to how to design safety straps for when we're flying upside down. Oh, it gives a person ideas it does, it does!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16 2008, 01:44 AM   #69
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Sandi...upside down

Old Mar 22 2008, 08:13 AM   #70
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Fan of: Skies of Pern: what else?
Now Reading: My computer screen

It's taken me a long time to get around to this but...

I love the latest portrait of P'ter. Another masterpiece!
Old Mar 22 2008, 09:35 AM   #71
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Fan of: The Ship Series
Now Reading: Dragonheart, baby!

I'd just like to ask myself how I managed to miss this .....

Self-admonishment aside - really, truly excellent work, Lady Master M!! A wonderful portrait of P'ter and Wrath! (Not that I've ever met either of them, but that doesn't change the fact!!)
Gidget2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22 2008, 12:45 PM   #72
Kat
Journeywoman archivist

Fan of: DRoP
Now Reading: Sky Dragons

Sandi/Lady M
Now that's a picture that'd be wonderful to see!!!
Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22 2008, 02:47 PM   #73
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Steven and Gidget...Thank you both for your compliments...late is always better than missing it all together...LOL

Kat...you and me both..LOL

Old Mar 22 2008, 02:50 PM   #74
kevia
Ballybran Resident

Tuner

Fan of: Nimisha's Ship
Now Reading: Crystal Line

It really is beautiful.
Old Mar 23 2008, 03:29 PM   #75
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Thank you Kevia....I am glad that you liked it.

Old Mar 27 2008, 04:35 PM   #76
Topaz the Golden

Fan of: all of them
Now Reading: anything I can get my hands on

it's OMG. Are you sure you didn't take a photo.
Topaz the Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27 2008, 07:07 PM   #77
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

LOL...Topaz, no this isn't a photo...but thank you for your compliment. Peter did send a fantastic photo, one that I did use to do his portrait from. I do follow the photos that are sent to me fairly closely, but also add or take away other things, the member has ask me to do for them.

Old May 4 2009, 01:54 AM   #78
Gwina
Talent Telempath-Healer

Fan of: white dragon, tower/hive
Now Reading: Insurgent, The Last Apprentice, Damia (again)

I was so thrilled to see P'ters new icon, as it's been awhile. It's so fitting! Such charisma and charm as always.
"Whatever zapped me seems to have burned off the outlived dross and stupidities any human collects along the way. I don't mind being two hundred and fifteen years old. In fact, it's fun, in a bizarre fashion."
Gwina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2009, 08:37 AM   #79
GHarris

Fan of: The White Dragon
Now Reading: Skies of Pern

Another masterpiece.

GH
GHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2009, 07:40 PM   #80
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Gwina...glad to see you back with us again...and thank you so much for the compliment, I'm very pleased to read how much you enjoyed this one. I think I could put a bit extra in this one, since Peter and I were lucky enough to meet when we went to Copenhagen...with that meeting, I knew I could add some of his real personality to it.

GHarris...thank you kindly for the compliment.