A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old Aug 22 2008, 10:19 AM   #1
sjslack
JourneyWoman woodsmith

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: as usual
Default The Brothers Hildebrandt

Some of you may remember that last year I managed to get my hands on a few sets of a Michael Whelan fantasy card set. Well, a while ago now, I managed to get my hands on one of these wonderful things.

It was a full box of cards wrapped in those silver foil things. This particular box still had the cellophane around it. I looked inside and it was pre 1994. In any case, I spent two hours opening all the little packets and putting the cards into groups, and in the end I had five full sets.

Unfortunately, there aren't any McCaffrey covers in this particular collection...but just reading all the little things on the backs of the cards, plus looking at the wonderful artwork on the cards themselves was great fun and really informational. The best thing however, were these cards.

Yup, in the middle that's one of the limited edition medallion cards. W0ot! the others are 'special', rarer cards that aren't part of the full 90 card set.

(Note: I have five of these full sets and I only need one. If you'd like a set, please send me a PM).
sjslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22 2008, 11:04 AM   #2
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Re: The Brother's Hildebrandt

Wow, what great artwork these brothers delivered. They were great, one of them still is if my memory doesn't fail me.

I don't suppose there is any Pern art (used for the calendar) in this set?

Congrats on such a fantastic acquisition, Sara

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22 2008, 02:24 PM   #3
Topaz the Golden

Fan of: all of them
Now Reading: anything I can get my hands on

I know they did the art work for a Terry Brooks book The Sword of Shannrana(sp?) I have all his books at home.
Topaz the Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23 2008, 11:08 AM   #4
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Congratulations Sara, These cards certainly do contain some fantastic art work.

Yes!!! Hans, there is one of the brothers still working...but drat, I have forgot which one...slaps head in frustration...

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23 2008, 09:49 PM   #5
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

Slightly OT, but as-written the thread title means "the Hildebrandt of the Brother." Can someone please get that apostrophe out?

And I don't think I've ever seen an art card set like that...I would hav e ahrd time not making them into some kind of framed wall art. (I bet it could be done without damage...)
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28 2008, 07:05 PM   #6
Gwina
Talent Telempath-Healer

Fan of: white dragon, tower/hive
Now Reading: Insurgent, The Last Apprentice, Damia (again)
Default Re: The Brothers Hildebrandt

Just wanted to say that is a beautiful collection sjslack. I've only ever seen the LOTR calendar artwork they did...what fun you can have with these. (-: Thanks for posting pictures of it btw.
"Whatever zapped me seems to have burned off the outlived dross and stupidities any human collects along the way. I don't mind being two hundred and fifteen years old. In fact, it's fun, in a bizarre fashion."
Gwina is offline   Reply With Quote