A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Talent: Pegasus, Tower & Hive, and Barque Cats

Old Jun 17 2006, 05:32 PM   #1
Bookworm
Inactive

Fan of: Anything Pern
Now Reading: Talent series
Default Talent agoraphobia

I'm re-reading the Talent series and have just started The Rowan. I know from past reads that the main reason David (of Betelgeuse) and Capella had trouble with going off planet was due to Siglen's negative impact. She psychologically trained them to be agoraphobic, unintentionally. Siglen couldn't handle "deep space flight" "due to a massive neural deterioration of the middle ear" (Jeff Raven, The Rowan)

My question is this: Where does this come from? I know that The Rowan states that there are only five primes, Earth, Callisto, Altair, Betelgeuse, Procyon, and Capella. With that knowledge, it would seem that from the time of Peter Reidinger I & Johnny Greene as T-1s until Rowan, it's been a slow/steady increase of Primes. If Siglen has a physical reaction, but passed it on psychologically to her 3 trainees, what about any Primes between Peter & Johnny and Rowan??

Every time I read this series questions like this crop of for me.. There'll be more as I progress further.
Bookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18 2006, 02:57 AM   #2
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3
Default Re: Talent agoraphobia

That's a good question. That's a very good question. I always get the feeling the Nine Star League had been functioning for at least a couple generations by the time of The Rowan... Peter Reidinger IV was also the "third of that name" to be Earth Prime, which means that there were others. Granted, that Earth Prime doesn't need to travel necessarily if he's born on Earth as the Reidingers were, but you'd think they'd've caught on earlier that the pre-Siglen Primes had easier trips to their stations, and they should've done so, if Siglen indeed imposed that neurosis.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18 2006, 07:31 AM   #3
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Perhaps some of the other early primes had been born on planet and hadn't needed to travel to get there?

It is a good question.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18 2006, 08:02 AM   #4
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

Fan of: the Dragonriders of Pern!
Now Reading: The Elder Gods - Eddings

Since Siglen trained ALL the others, maybe she was the only Prime left at one point?

"When a harper is silenced, all men should listen harder." AtWoP
c_ris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18 2006, 10:01 AM   #5
Bookworm
Inactive

Fan of: Anything Pern
Now Reading: Talent series

Quote:
Originally Posted by granath
That's a good question. That's a very good question. I always get the feeling the Nine Star League had been functioning for at least a couple generations by the time of The Rowan...
The end of Pegasus in Space is a scene 15 years after the first time Peter, Johnny, and Lance merge minds to shift to Mars. Its the toasting of the newly formed FT&T, and while not specifically stated, I got the impression that Peter & Johnny were considered Primes/T-1s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_ris
Since Siglen trained ALL the others, maybe she was the only Prime left at one point?
I got the impression that Siglen was of an age with Peter IV. Pegasus in Space specifically mentions she trained David and Capella, but doesn't mention Peter. As he was promoted to Earth Prime instead of her, I got the impression they trained together (or at least simultaneously), not one training the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl
Perhaps some of the other early primes had been born on planet and hadn't needed to travel to get there?
This is a distinct possibility. I would think that if this had been an issue for Primes prior to this generation, it would have been mentioned as an ongoing issue/problem. Not written as though it began with Siglen.

I'm still reading and still curious!!
Bookworm is offline   Reply With Quote