A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Monthly AMC Book Discussions

Monthly AMC Book Discussions Beginning on the 15th of every month, we hold an in-depth discussion of a theme from one or more books. Please join us!
Currently on hiatus.

Old Mar 15 2005, 05:20 AM   #1
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman
Default Dragonflight book discussion 1

No fancy titles yet-I'm in a leetle bit of a hurry but heres the first set of points for discussion!

and being boring and looking for something obvious to discuss it's Lessa!

On the surface Dragonflight reads as a Cinderella tale (Lessa is plucked out of drudgery and becomes the ruling queen to F'lar's king). Is this borne out by deeper analysis? (Cheryl)

Is Ramoth's personality what Lessa's might've been if Fax hadn't invaded? (edith)

Does it take thread for Lessa to accept her role as she says or does she realise this earlier? (edith)

Why is Lessa more affected by time betweening? (edith)

in Dragonflight doesn't Lessa have a strange power to be able to 'nudge' people mentally? You know, like urge people toward a certain direction, according to her will. Anyway, nothing really becomes of it, does it? Something to think about... (Refuge in Pern) (direct from pm)

thats a start but we still need more questions!!!

over to you lot!
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15 2005, 07:12 AM   #2
Jax
Talent

Latent Talent

Fan of: DDawn 1st read, love all
Now Reading: MagicKingdom4salesold ArtemisF
Default Re: Dragonflight book discussion 1

I believe that Ramoth's personality would have been almost as different as Lessa's would have been had Fax not invaded! When your mind is so entwined with another's you do tend to think along the same lines, though not always!
Ramoth would have been Ramoth no matter what, but once her shell cracked and she impressed Lessa, Lessa's experiences would have partialy affected who Ramoth became in some way, just like people, she would have her nature side, who she was already, and her nuture side, what she was exposed to as she grew up - does that make sense?
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15 2005, 08:31 AM   #3
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

Quote:
Originally Posted by edith
On the surface Dragonflight reads as a Cinderella tale (Lessa is plucked out of drudgery and becomes the ruling queen to F'lar's king). Is this borne out by deeper analysis? (Cheryl)
I think I'll take these ideas one-at-a-time.

I don't see DF being a Cinderella story at all.

Yes, Lessa began her life in drudgery, but she was never powerless. Look at all she achieved with Ruatha - turning a prosperous hold under strict management into the sink-hole of Pern. She ate as well as she needed, had a trusted friend in the watchwher, and was organsing the hold the way she wanted. What happens once she's been searched? Well, she has baths more often, but the drudgery is no less, particularly after impressing Ramoht. At one point, she even claims to have eaten better in Ruatha.

She also goes from a position of power to one of limbo for several years. Her training was mismanaged, she had none of the respect her position deserved, and the weyr was sliding backwards ever more rapidly. And what was her fariy-godmother F'lar doing? Nothing, as far as Lessa knew.

The next stage, after the change in weyrleadership is rapidly followed by problem after problem. First the holders, then thread, then oldtimers. Every problem she solves is rapidly followed by the arrival of a new one. Timing gave Ramoth's clutch chance to mature, but it drove the riders to the edge of insanity. The oldtimers arrive, and all that hard-won respect is lost to (albeit temporary) subservience to the leadership of Fort. What fairy-tale princess ever had to deal with such? What fairy tale princess ever had anything to worry about after meeting prince charming other than the endless tedium of balls, hunts and babies? Lessa is certainly spared that!

My final thought is this - Lessa was born into the fairy tale. She was, effectively, a princess, who would have married well in time. If this is a cinderella story, it fits it better backwards. (Okay, so you can argue that Cinderella had it all at the start as well, but still.)
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15 2005, 09:15 AM   #4
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

Quote:

Easy one, this.

I'm not sure that she is. She's a very empathic, sensitive person, but I don't think the inherent dangers of timing affect her any more than anyone else. Her trips to Ruatha occur at times of considerable distress, and the presence of the more mature, knowing Lessa inadvertently allows her to project the emotions asscoiated with that knowledge onto Lessa-that-was. We see a similar thing with the other riders - F'lar projects his own self confidence/belief/determination onto F'lar junior; Kylara reinforces her pride, vanity and sense of superiority.

The other effects can all be put down to one of two things: exhaustion/oxygen deprivation, and the length of time spent "doubled". Lessa is at her worst at the end of her return journey from the past; the old timers are not noticeably bothered as they're only there once. F'nor becomes considerably more stressed towards the end of his stay in the past at Southern - several years of begin doubled are damaging, even without the added burdens of physical proximity to the double and emotional ties.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15 2005, 07:22 PM   #5
Pat69La
Hiver

Smile Re: Dragonflight book discussion 1

[QUOTE=edith]

Why is Lessa more affected by time betweening? (edith)[Quote]

I think it is because she is in too many time periods at the same time!
Especially the period of 13 turns before threadfall.
Dragonmen must fly when Threads are in the sky! "
Pat69La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15 2005, 09:17 PM   #6
sassie
Inactive

Location: Bristol U.K. but normally in which book i'm reading at the time

Does Lessa have 'Talent'?

I've also been wondering about Lessa showing 'Talent' in the beginning of the book, Fax's comment about the hold not being able to feed it's Lord. F'lar and the other riders feel the surge of power at this announcement as do the Dragons who roar.
F’lar finds himself holding Fax to his word as Lady Gemma goes into labour and F'lar and the other riders witness this declaration.
Later F’lar realises that he was influenced into fighting Fax even although he knows that this may have happen anyway but he realises that he was manoeuvred into a position where the fight was bound to happen.
Lessa also ‘blurs’ her hand to look rougher then her own fine boned hand and F’lar is aware of this. She does the same with her face when she recovers consciousness after Fax had struck her and F’lar definitely sees her do this.
There is also the intimation that Lessa has some how influenced the downfall of the hold, making it unproductive and affecting the very earth so that crops fail and the beasts are in poor condition? How is she able to do this?
Later in the Weyr, Lessa is also tempted to influence the Riders when they are arguing about the Lords, who are advancing on the Weyr.
During the argument D’nol blurts out about flaming the Lords and even Lessa is horrified by the idea.
She realises that if R’gul wins this dispute the end is near for all of F’lar’s plans. She recalls how easy it was to affect the angry men at Ruatha and directs her thoughts towards T’bor.
Obviously she intends to compel them to fight but F’lar steps on her foot and places her firmly in her chair, he is furious that she even thinks to try to use this sort of power on Riders. This is the last reference to this aspect of Lessa’s ‘Talent.’
My question is; does Lessa forego this talent? Is it more important for her to be able to talk to all Dragons than to use her ‘talent’ or is it simple lack of use that means the ‘talent’ fades?
It maybe that Anne started with the idea of Lessa having ‘talent’ and then thought better of it as the Pegasus and Tower & Hive books explore it in so much depth? Is this why this story line is never developed and is allowed to fade away?
sassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16 2005, 03:00 AM   #7
ghyle
Hrruban
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Fan of: Pern & Freedom
Now Reading: The Umbrella Club / David Brooks

I'm picking up the copy from the library tomorrow, and will read it asap. But first...

Quote:
There are a number of reasons why Lessa seems more affected. First, with the exception of the important ride to get the other weyrs, she comes back when she herself is both alive and within the vicinity. In addition, we must remember that going back to Ruatha is a major plot point, and is intended to create a major emotional crisis: Lessa finds out that the reason why Fax was successful in his attack is her presence. She herself is responsible, and there is, in a way, nothing that she can do to remedy the situation; thus she feels distraught, and emotionally affected far beyond the psychological and physiological effects.

You will note that I mentioned both psychological and physiological. It is evident, both from this and later books, that the greater the distance temporally and physically, then the greater the amount of time spent between. Thus, physically, there is a drain on both the dragon and the rider when jumping both in space and time. It is as if two jumps between are made simultaneously, thereby the strain is greater. This is the physiological basis for the effects. Psychologically, there appears a form of feedback effect when dragon and or rider is present. Thus, Lessa's presence when she goes back to Ruatha, at the dawn raid, affects Ramoth, and in turn her; it is also evident in later books: The White Dragon and, in a negative way, Moreta are evidence of this (with the latter, I feel that the light-headedness felt by Moreta whilst picking the thorns is evidence in fact of the intervening deaths of both dragon and rider; she can no longer feel the presence of her dragon, and it affects her in this way).

There is a final argument that must be kept in mind. Since going between is such a major factor of the dragons' abilities, and is integral to the plot itself, then it is important that the process, and its effects upon the central figure (Lessa) be emphasised. Thus, their prominence is, in effect, an artifact of the book's emphasis upon certain aspects of dragon-riding, just as other aspects of Pern life are emphasised, and come to the fore, in succeeding novels.
ghyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16 2005, 03:49 AM   #8
Spaceman Spiff
Inactive

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Lord of the Rings

Quote:
in Dragonflight doesn't Lessa have a strange power to be able to 'nudge' people mentally? You know, like urge people toward a certain direction, according to her will. Anyway, nothing really becomes of it, does it? Something to think about... (Refuge in Pern) (direct from pm)
Lessa does seem to have some sort of power of influence. I think it's referred to as "leaning" on someone. I have no idea how she acquired these abilities, but I don't think she ever lost the power, but was just discouraged by F'lar from using it. I can't remember any exact quotes, but I think it mentions somewhere in Dragonflight as well as Dragonquest that F'lar doesn't like her influencing others. But I'd think that she'd rebel though... But her talent to hear all dragons is something she can use more to her advantage without being secretive about it either.
Spaceman Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16 2005, 05:23 AM   #9
ChrisG
Inactive

Silly me, I was looking for this discussion in the Pern forum.

I don’t see DF as anything like a Cinderella fairy-tale, for many of the same reasons as Kath. Lessa had far more power in Ruatha—influencing events behind the scenes—than she had in Benden Weyr, particularly while R’gul was Weyrleader. I’m, quite frankly, amazed that Lessa put up with the situation as long as she did. She wasn’t allowed out of her weyr except to go to the lake and feeding grounds, Manora was one of the few women she ever saw, she wasn’t allowed to fly Ramoth, she wasn’t even allowed to look at the Records! It wasn’t until she was told about the coming food shortage that she starts to rebel. There is a ‘happily ever after’ ending, but there’s a lot more hardship before then.

Before Thread started falling, Lessa didn’t really have a role to play, or rather, she didn’t have any real purpose. She supported F’lar’s decisions, but only because they made sense to her. I do think it was only after the first Threadfall, after dispatching dragons to where they were needed, treating the injured, and most specifically after C’gan’s death, that Lessa realized her role.

I didn’t see much of Ramoth’s personality, she mainly agreed to whatever Lessa wanted, though what I did see seemed … childish. She complained about itchiness, complained about not being allowed to eat all she wanted, complained about not being allowed to fight Thread with the others. But that’s kinda what I’d expect from an adolescent dragon. Ramoth’s haughtiness doesn’t really show itself until later books. But then again, neither does Lessa’s.

Lessa does use her power in later books as well: in DQ she influences the Lords Holder after Jaxom Impresses Ruth, in TWD she influences Toric into accepting a smaller holding, in SoP she uses her ability while interrogating the abominators. I think it’s more a matter of her not needing to resort to such methods as often to get what she wants.
ChrisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16 2005, 08:36 AM   #10
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

I agree with that last sentance, as to F'lar knowing when she uses it, dragonriders are supposed to empathic, perhaps F'lar was slightly more empathic than he makes out.
uing telepathy might;ve made some of the issues worse.
Old Mar 16 2005, 08:43 AM   #11
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

Fan of: the Dragonriders of Pern!
Now Reading: The Elder Gods - Eddings

Quote:
I don't think that DF is a Cinderalla story, though there are elemts of the story there. Such as the very basic storyline of from drudge to Weyrwoman. But, there is amjor difference, that Lessa is not helplessly waiting to arrival of a handsome prince to take her away and make everything better. In Ruatha, she causes its ruin, and uses F'lar to fulfil her plan. At the Weyr then she doesn't rely on him either, finding her own ways to do things. Even after she knows her 'prince charming' then sher still does things of her own accord - such as going back to bring the Weyrs forward.
There is sort of 'happy ever after' ending to DF, but one thats still says that there is many hardships to come. No fairytale ending here.

And as to why Lessa did not rebel before, she had Ramoth to look after, and these people were the only ones who knew what to do. She was far too busy looking after Ranoth to rebel.

"When a harper is silenced, all men should listen harder." AtWoP
c_ris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16 2005, 09:05 AM   #12
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

it takes her a while to see beyond Romoth's rainbow gaze, then she becomes, bored I suppose. talking of getting bored perhaps I should post some more questions today or tomorrow!
Old Mar 16 2005, 09:27 AM   #13
ChrisG
Inactive

Quote:
I agree with that last sentance, as to F'lar knowing when she uses it, dragonriders are supposed to empathic, perhaps F'lar was slightly more empathic than he makes out.
Actually, F'lar suspects that Lessa uses her power to influence Kylara's attitude toward her (Lessa), and in that case F'lar preferred not to object to Lessa's meddling. And in the beginning of DQ, F'lar even considers how useful Lessa's ability would be during the Weyrleaders' conference. It seems that he doesn't mind when it's to his benefit.
ChrisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16 2005, 09:32 AM   #14
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

Fan of: the Dragonriders of Pern!
Now Reading: The Elder Gods - Eddings

Quote:
It takes longer to go between times than between places. Thus the oxygen depravation is going to be much more than between places. Also, at least the first times she goes abck she has little experience of betweening anyway, and is thus more likely to be adversely affected by it.
Also, the whole 'being in two places at once' thing is hardly conducive to felling good.

"When a harper is silenced, all men should listen harder." AtWoP
c_ris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16 2005, 11:14 AM   #15
B`dgyr
Inactive

Quote:
No fancy titles yet-I'm in a leetle bit of a hurry but heres the first set of points for discussion!

and being boring and looking for something obvious to discuss it's Lessa!

Is Ramoth's personality what Lessa's might've been if Fax hadn't invaded? (edith)

Does it take thread for Lessa to accept her role as she says or does she realise this earlier? (edith)

thats a start but we still need more questions!!!

over to you lot!

1. I don't think so. Eventually, Lessa was planning to take some form of action to try to retake Ruatha as her own. Therefore, she was not the defenseless Cinderella archetype.

2. I think that all Dragons have their own personality. Yes, they are influenced by their riders, but I don't think it's anymore than say, a family influences its members. Didn't your parents/sibs influence you?

3. I think that from the moment Ramoth's mind touched hers, Lessa realized that she was destined toplay a much greater part in the lives of others than she had thought.

4. Lessa was affected by A. Oxygen deprivation B. her own natural sense of time as it is and C. she had returned to a time before she wasborn, before her parents were born. IMHO, that would pretty much mess up one's time/spatial senses.

5. Lessa was of Ruathan bloodline, descended I think pretty much directly from Red and Mairi Hanrahan. Now, here on Earth, Hanrahan was/is an ancient Irish Clan, I beleive (I know if I'm wrong, someone will let me know, heehee) descended from the Ui Neill, the Irish Royal Clans. Celtic blood often comes with certain...extrasensory abilities, let us say, that have yet to be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt scientifically. (Not Talent, exactly,but the beginnings of it...) Now, it does not say specifically that the Hanrahans had Powers, (I speak here of Red and Mairi) but Sorka and her father definitely had a way with animals, not unlike Animal Empathy. In fact, her way with animals was one of the reasons she was chosen to stand at the First Hatching, wasn't it?
Anyway, the long and the short of it is, that yes, Lessa could influence people and animals to do as she wished them to, so long as their will was weaker than her own. The reason that she could not influence Fax was that his will was actually stronger.

There's my opinions....whaddaya think?

B`dgyr It's grand to be Irish....
B`dgyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16 2005, 04:58 PM   #16
ghyle
Hrruban
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Is Lessa a Cinderella character? I say yes, in part.

To be certain, I need to read the original short story, though; my hypothesis is that the Cinderella aspect is actually limited to this first appearance of Pern.

In any case....

Why I feel she is a Cinderella analogue is quite clear. In general terms, there are correspondences between the two characters. Cinderella is made to be a drudge; in order to survive, Lessa is also forced to be a drudge (though willingly or unwillingly assumed, it is the fact that she plays this position, more than the fact that she plays the position). Just as the prince is made aware of Cinderella through the enchantments, during the ball, so to are the dragon riders aware of Lessa through similar, though inverted effects. The dragons roaring, the general squalor, the foul food, are all signs pointing to Lessa's involvement in the resistance to Fax. Further, the roaring dragons is an analogue to the slipper: it was lets the riders find and locate Lessa. There is also the recognition, when the dragon-riders finally catch up with Lessa. As for the marriage, well, one could see that within the mating flight, but I prefer, however, to view the impression as that pivotal moment.

However, having said all that, it must be remembered that there are not exact matches through both texts. In the first place, the Pern narrative, whether or not incorporated into the novel, is more complex than the Cinderella tale. It uses, that is, the Cinderella tale as the skeletal structure, and adds flesh through detail and other events within the tale. The announcement of Jaxom's birth, for example, though not linked to the Cinderella tale, is one such addition; and, though vital to the story of Lessa, enabling her to join the weyr, is irrelevant in part to considerations of her as a Cinderella figure. There is nothing within the Cinderella tale to stop her from marrying the prince, but this possibility, however, in the tale must be addressed. We must know she is free to impress, and why.

Thus, if we look not for exact correspondences, but look instead at the basic thread of the plot, then there is a Cinderella motif, and it is supported by details of the narrative. But the Pern narrative, whether short story or novel, is richer, with var4iations not covered by the Cinderella plot. Therefore, we can say that yes, Lessa is a Cinderella figure, providing we do not ask for exact correspondences or extra details of setting or plot.
Old Mar 16 2005, 06:29 PM   #17
AnnMarie
Dragonrider
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

There are some similarities... especially if you use the original version of Cinderella, and not the watered-down modern retellings. However... Like otheres have said, Lessa is for more in control of her surroundings than Cinderella EVER was.

Earlier. SHe believes what F'lar tells her. She does get discouraged and disgusted for a while by her tutors, though.

The amount of timing, oxygen deprivation, and being too many of herself at once.

Lessa never loses her ability to "lean" on people...she just learns to use a LOT more discretion. (F'lar makes sure of that!)
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17 2005, 04:53 PM   #18
ghyle
Hrruban
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Question: To what degree are we to read the relationship between Lessa and F'lar as that of the heroine and hero of a romance novel?
Old Mar 19 2005, 11:56 AM   #19
Vilkacis
Inactive

Quote:
It has been years since I read the book so sorry if I'm completely off track here but...

Wasn't Lessa also supposed to have the rare ability to converse with ALL dragons and their kin rather than just Ramoth. Perhaps this greater level of empathy with the dragons is the same 'talent' that makes her able to influence humans. The fact that she does this less as time goes on is probably a combination of discretion and her growing status within the hold. As time goes on she has the ability to influence others without having to resort to 'nudging'. Also, if F'lar can sense it, what's to say others can't too? It could be a dangerous trick to overuse.

This could also explain why going between times is harder on her, a greater level of telepathic/empathic power than the other riders, added to her proximity to herself which would only have magnified the difference, would logically create a greater effect than the others felt.
Vilkacis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19 2005, 08:35 PM   #20
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

Ghyle--I think you're missing the boat because you're overlooking a huge difference between Lessa and Cinderella. Even in the less-pretty version (in which the Stepmother mutiliates her own daughters to make the slippers fit) Cinderella is utterly passive. She sits in the cinders and does her drudgery, and goes and weeps over it until a magical person (in some versions the fairy godmother, in some the spirit of her dead mother) gives her a temporary means out. She takes it, comes back home at midnight, and proceeds to sit in the cinders again until the prince and his seneschal find her and pluck her out, and again she goes passively. Cinderella isn't about a woman finding herself, it's about her being found.

Lessa, if anything, is the anti-Cinderella. She's Cinderella with a vindictive, sadistic streak. Cinderella is never in a position of power. Lessa makes sure that even when she's apparently the lowest form of life on Pern, she is in real control of her surroundings. She goes so far as to murder a warder she admits was a basically nice guy but who was in the way of her plans to destroy Fax by crippling Ruatha. She's Cinderella if Cinderella put strychnine in her Stepmother and Stepsisters' tea.

If anything it's rather more "The Taming of the Shrew." Lessa is a wild child, and that leads to the question of "are F'lar and Lessa readable as a romance-novel couple?" The answer is, "Heck, yeah!" They are very much the stereotypical romance-novel couple. Lessa is the Spitfire, the independant woman who wants to be Laird of the Castle herself, rather than have to marry some clod. F'lar is the Laird who comes along and tames her, making her accept willingly the role of wife (in a Pern context) because after all, she'll just be happier with a man. A kink is thrown by Lessa's Ride--that's the action of a fantasy-novel hero, and in a book not written by a woman it probably would have been F'lar who went back rather than Lessa. But overall their relationship dynamic is that of a romance novel, complete with Lessa being second banana to F'lar and happy about it. She got to be a hero, but more important, she got her man, at the expense of the seductress, even.
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20 2005, 01:36 AM   #21
ghyle
Hrruban
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

I would still argue that Lessa is a Cinderella analogue in part, and in relation to part of the book; the first part, specifically. I would like to read the original story and see how she is portrayed there, of course, since that would have a bearing on our reading of her.

In relation to the perceived lack of passivity as an argument against her, then we can ask why now does she act, after a decade under Fax, to reclaim Ruatha. All I can see her doing, really, over the previous decade is tossing her shoes into the machinery, and not acting directly to get her domain/prince. It is only when the dragon-riders come that she actually takes a readily active part in reclaiming Ruatha, just as Cinderella only acts when it comes time for the ball.

As I think I pointed out, the resemblance is not acute, but enough is sufficiently there for her to be read as an analogue, but not an absolute representation, of Cinderella. The two texts are different, they differ in detail and plot, but the basics of he character identification are there to be read.
Old Mar 20 2005, 11:00 AM   #22
Shalyn
Inactive

Location: Loo-a-vull / Luhvuhl / Loo-ih-ville / Loo-a-ville / Looeyville / Lewisville Oh, Heck. Kentuckiana.
Fan of: Dragonflight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghyle
In relation to the perceived lack of passivity as an argument against her, then we can ask why now does she act, after a decade under Fax, to reclaim Ruatha. All I can see her doing, really, over the previous decade is tossing her shoes into the machinery, and not acting directly to get her domain/prince. It is only when the dragon-riders come that she actually takes a readily active part in reclaiming Ruatha, just as Cinderella only acts when it comes time for the ball.
Ahhh, but is she actually passive? Granted, she only does little things at first to bring about the Fall of Ruatha, but these little things add up. And remember - she lost her whole family when she was only 10. At 10 years old, she really can't do much of anything, but as she grows she probably plans and changes her plans. When the Dragonriders come, the first time in decades, she's at an age and strength where she can actually use them. I call that "biding her time".

Cinderella never really bided her time, she just waited and hoped for things to happen. Even though this would go to a different discussion, Brekke is more an analogue for Cinderella than Lessa.
Shalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20 2005, 11:12 AM   #23
Shalyn
Inactive

Location: Loo-a-vull / Luhvuhl / Loo-ih-ville / Loo-a-ville / Looeyville / Lewisville Oh, Heck. Kentuckiana.
Fan of: Dragonflight

Quote:

in Dragonflight doesn't Lessa have a strange power to be able to 'nudge' people mentally? You know, like urge people toward a certain direction, according to her will. Anyway, nothing really becomes of it, does it?
I've been thinking in depth lately about Lessa's powers and leanings. While it still gets used in later books, albeit not a lot, it still shows that Lessa is special in that way. And what made her that way? What was it about her that gave her those powers?

I think that there are many people on Pern who could have these same 'Talents' as Lessa, but they are not in situations where they can develope them. If Fax hadn't happened, if her family had not been killed, if her life had been 'normal', Lessa herself may never have developed these same abilities. These little powers of hers were borne of necessity and...hatred. She hated Fax, she hated those who followed Fax, she wanted them to suffer. She even admitted to F'lar that she had no idea what to do after Fax would have denounced Ruatha.

Now, I don't think that everyone on Pern has this ability. I think it is just as rare as HAD (Hears All Dragons for those who don't know). Probably even rarer since most people wouldn't have a reason to develope those powers. I wouldn't be surprised if your run-of-the-mill HAD, like Brekke or Aramina, were able to develope these special leaning abilities. But the will needs to be there, as does the necessity. Brekke had neither, Aramina didn't have the will.

As for the men - I think that they, too, can have these abilities. But since men are the top dogs on Pern, very few most likely even had the chance or inclination to try and develope them.

And...when Anne continued the series she probably decided to drop the superpowers in favor of dragons...and enhance the superpowers in her Talent series.
Shalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20 2005, 04:50 PM   #24
ghyle
Hrruban
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalyn
When the Dragonriders come, the first time in decades, she's at an age and strength where she can actually use them. I call that "biding her time".

Cinderella never really bided her time, she just waited and hoped for things to happen. Even though this would go to a different discussion, Brekke is more an analogue for Cinderella than Lessa.
And the fact that both Cinderella and Lessa waited, with differences, is argument for the reading that she is an analogue, with differences in detail. If we look at it this way, then it's time to ask to what degree the differences disguise the obviousness of that identification, and to which degree Anne's first part of the story adheres to or detaches from the basic morphology of a fairy tale, as a narrative focus, and organising principle of the essential initial story.
Old Mar 21 2005, 06:02 PM   #25
dragonbear
Inactive

"in Dragonflight doesn't Lessa have a strange power to be able to 'nudge' people mentally? You know, like urge people toward a certain direction, according to her will. Anyway, nothing really becomes of it, does it? Something to think about... (Refuge in Pern) (direct from pm)
If you all remember when Lessa started to push F'lar into the fight and one other time, his and other dragons bugled and made a point that something was happening out of the norm. I don't think he sensed it as much as Memonth did. He kept her in control most of the time afterwards and only allowed or incouraged her to use this power when it would be a bennefit for all Pern.
dragonbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22 2005, 05:35 PM   #26
Brenda

Lessa somehow nudged F'lar into saying Fax might as well renounce his claim to Ruatha, because it was so poor. Fax agreed as if it were a jest - but Lessa's surge of triumph that he said he would renounce Ruatha was felt by the dragons.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote