A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café > Café Archives

Old Jun 20 2007, 11:38 AM   #1
Extraho
Inactive

Fan of: Dragonflight
Now Reading: Eragon/Eldest
Unhappy Reading speed?

I have just recently introduced my friend to the chronicles of pern and he loves it.

But i lent him Dragonflight and he claims to have read it within 1 night, It took me 4 days

I have questioned him about little details of the book but he knows it all, I was just wondering if I took too long reading dragonflight for my age (15).

Thx for any replies
Extraho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20 2007, 11:43 AM   #2
sjslack
JourneyWoman woodsmith

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: as usual
Default Re: Reading speed?

It just depends on how long you have to actually read them per day. Someone reading -all- day will finish a book a lot faster than someone who may take the same amount of time spread out over a few days. -Shrugs-

At the moment, it takes me about a week or so to read a good-sized novel, but once my college-holidays are here, I'll be cooped up in my room all day reading and be able to get through a book every day or two days. -Shrugs-
sjslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20 2007, 12:52 PM   #3
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

I tend to speed read. I'll read a book quickly to get the sense of the story, where it goes and how it gets there. Then I'll reread (not much slower: afterall I now know where it's going) to set the details.

The most recent Harry P took me about 6 hours.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20 2007, 01:23 PM   #4
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

depends on the book-
if its very good I can speed read- took me a couple of hours to read TaTH t'other day and I'll remember it
if its atrocious I can speed read but it won't stick- Order of the Phoenix for instance

Anything very literary takes a few hours longer, but I've been reading adult books since I was 8 or 9.
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20 2007, 01:23 PM   #5
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

I could read Dragonflight in a few hours, but, I am a fast reader. My mother it would take much longer. It took her about 2 weeks to read Powers That Be reading it several hours a day. She is 70 yrs old. Kibbie, who is 11, if she put her mind to it could read it in aday. It realy has nothing to do with age. It is more with how the person reads. Unless your teachers have saind somehting about you being slow don't worry about it. You are still reading adult books.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20 2007, 03:33 PM   #6
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

I can read fairly fast when I need to...but I hate it. Especially when it comes to a really good story..the book is over much to soon that way. I never read my McCaffrey stories quickly...I like to take my time savoring and re-reading certain parts over until I can see them clearly and absorb the stories into my mind...like a sponge. When I'm not reading them, I'm re-playing parts of them back in my mind like a fantastic movie. It's a lovely way to pass the time while I work.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20 2007, 03:55 PM   #7
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

Depends on the book, and how much time I spend reading it. These days, I might take a whole week to read a 200 page novel if I'm busy with other things during the week. Other times I might finish most of it in one day before I need to take a break.

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20 2007, 04:03 PM   #8
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

No M'ton. If your read leisurely and for pure pleasure without using speed-read techniques, four days is normal.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20 2007, 05:33 PM   #9
Dragongirl
.:. Baroness von Imp .:.
Weyrling

Fan of: I do not 'fan'. I obsess.
Now Reading: The Book of Lost Things - John Connelly.

It depends on the time you have. But you don't have to speed-read to be good. I know, I can read a book in a day but if it's enjoyable, I tend to relish it,(cliffhanger anyone?). I know I sped-read Dragonflight in two days but then I went back and really dragged it out because I enjoyed it.

Nothing wrong with you M'ton.

Those who seek to create war are mongrels and fools, but the blood they spill as a result is never meaningless. - Lucrezia Noin

When someone is grieving for what they've lost, you can't really say you know how they feel, or how they should handle things. Because even if you've lost too, everyone grieves differently. Anyone who says otherwise are presumptuous idiots.-Hayley (My friend can be an astonishing wealth of wisdom)
Dragongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20 2007, 11:00 PM   #10
Sandi

When I was younger I devoured books as though I thought someone was going to take them away from me. Generally, if they were something I really liked, I would re-read them more slowly, especially if the writer's style was part of what interested me. I still do tend to charge through some books but mostly I go at a more relaxed pace. Sometimes I even pause to "digest" a few chapters before going further.

Unless you are working on some sort of assignment, I don't think the amount of time spent is nearly as important as the amount of enjoyment you get out of reading a book.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20 2007, 11:33 PM   #11
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

I read all fiction very quickly. (A straight-through read of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix took me about seven hours.) It generally requires nonfiction to slow me down at all. I just reread Persuasion in two days, and I'm well into Pride and Prejudice today. I guess it depends on what's normal for you. I know it takes my mother forever to finish books, so she usually lets me read things first so I don't have to wait, and of course she won't have to wait long, either.
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21 2007, 01:21 AM   #12
Keruval
Darbul

A reasonably fast, but not 'speed read' rate is about a page a minute.

This is how my husband and I calculate how long it will take us to read/finish a book if we are at the stage of 'do we go to bed or sit up and read'.

However the elapsed time from start to finish is not just the sum of minutes, sometimes you hardly put a book down from start to finish, other times it seems to take forever as other Real Life issues intervene.

If it encourages you at all, my daughter was the 'slowest' reader in our family but she was the one who went on to take an English Degree and further studies in Librarianship
Keruval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21 2007, 03:39 AM   #13
Kugai
Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan

Fan of: Tower and Hive Series
Now Reading: Whatever takes my fancy at the moment

It all depends on how fast you can read, and how much time you have. For myself, it can take me anywhere up to a day and a half to get through a 200 page book or a week depending what I'm doing that week.

Homepage
FreeBabylon5
FreeBabylon5 Website
Kugai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21 2007, 04:21 AM   #14
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

I'm a fast reader and usually read a standard novel (250-400 pages) in a few hours. I read the thickest HP books in about 8 hours or so. My father, however, is an extremely slow reader, and now at 62 has all but quit reading fiction altogether, as it can take him ten minutes to read a page. He's slowed down with age, but I read faster than he did when I'd been reading for about a year.

There's nothing wrong with being a slow reader, although if you have reading assignments to do, you may have to reserve more time for them than a faster reader does.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21 2007, 05:43 AM   #15
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

It depends on the book.

For McCaffrey type prose, I average at about 100 pages per hour. I read at about half that if the text requires more brainpower.

But... people do read at different speeds. You don't necessarily get any more or less detail, whether it takes you three hours, three days, three weeks or three months.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21 2007, 05:34 PM   #16
Extraho
Inactive

thx for all your replies

I feel a bit better about not reading as fast as others now
+ considering that it was the first book I had read in years i fell quite proud
Old Jun 22 2007, 01:41 PM   #17
r2005
Crafter
Student

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: 1632 Series by Eric Flint

Normally,I'm pretty quick reader. Sometimes I can read a book in a few hours. I have fond memories starting Harry Potter late at night and finishing at 3:00 in the morning. The books that took me the longest to read was the Lord of the Rings.

During the school year, I skim books more than I actually read them, oh college life can be so much fun....
Old Jun 22 2007, 04:18 PM   #18
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

M'ton: speed does not matter. The main thing is that you read it, understood what you'd read and enjoyed it.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22 2007, 04:56 PM   #19
Hans
Master Archivist

Hear hear

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22 2007, 10:18 PM   #20
tameeria
Inactive

I'm a slower reader than most people when reading in English simply because it is a second language for me and thus takes more concentration than if I read in my native language. When I started reading the Pern books, it would take me about two weeks with the occasional help of a dictionary to get through them. Nowadays, seven years later, I can finish a novel much faster and don't need the dictionary for most books. I recently read through His Majesty's Dragon on one weekend. I still tend to read paragraphs or whole pages twice to make sure I understood it before going on.
tameeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22 2007, 11:17 PM   #21
Cherlyn
Crafter

Fan of: P.E.R.N.
Now Reading: 'Winds of Fate'by Mercedes Lackey

Fast or slow as long as you enjoy it!
Cherlyn (Cheryl #2 - "The Okie One") aka The Cheesaholic, Chocoholic Packrat and seeker of anti-ques and junque...
Click:. . .F.R.O.G. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .@<. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
"I just got back from the hospital. I had a speed reading accident; I hit a bookmark." ~ Unknown
Cherlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23 2007, 10:07 AM   #22
Extraho
Inactive

yea, I enjoy them more if I actually get 'into' the book.

thx again for all your replies
Old Jun 23 2007, 02:31 PM   #23
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

M'tom, If I have learned one thing in homeschooling Kibie you should NEVER compare yourself to others in anything. If you try "measure" yourself by what oother are doing than you run the risk of not coming to your full potantial. You'll be so busy try to musure up to them that you won't have time to do what you are strongest it. Kibbie can't spell or write very well but she is an awsome public speaker.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26 2007, 10:34 AM   #24
FlameCat
Dragonrider
Candidate

Now Reading: Grimm's Fairy Tales

I have a friend who skim reads and then asks me to tell her what happened as she doesn't understand...
My other friend is a slower reader than me and I have slowed down to make my books last longer - when she finishes quicker she gloats

But as I said, I've slowed down, a book say, 2" thick would take me 1-2days..
My librarian got a little annoyed as I was returning books before she'd even processed them.
Being a slower reader is fine, you read all the book and the enjoyment lasts longer... fear not!
FlameCat is offline   Reply With Quote