A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old Aug 27 2009, 05:59 PM   #1
Pernaficionado

Fan of: Dragonsong
Now Reading: brainships
Default To ride Pegasus HC?

I scanned the Archives first and didn't find the info that I wanted. I also googled, searched ebay and amazon and all i got was "not currently available" on amazon. I did find the Omnibus edition with the Pegasus in Flight, and the 1990 printing. I must assume this is also an exceedingly rare book like her first 2 DROP publications, am I right? or was this not originally printed in hard cover and should I consider the 1990 reprint? I am asking because i recently got the other Pegasus Books In 1st HC so I thought I would look around and complete the set. Ironically I am still working on the Tower and Hive series and only have 2 in 1st ed and am working on phasing out BCE copies. lol
Pernaficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28 2009, 12:23 AM   #2
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too
Default Re: To ride Pegasus HC?

The first hard cover edition was done in 1974 by JM Dent & Sons in the UK. The 1990 hard cover by Del Rey is the first US HC edition. If you're collecting US only then you can count this as a first edition hard cover, but if you want the 'true' first edition then find the 1974 Dent HC. These are very rare and hard to come by. I just did a search on Bookfinder.com and only found one shop with a copy. It's an ex-library and they want $102 for it. I personally don't want to spend that sort of money for an ex-library book.
The first printing of the book was actually in paperback in 1973 by Ballantine Books. The Dent HC came the next year.
Hope this helps!
Old Aug 28 2009, 12:47 AM   #3
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

If your other books are the U.S. ones I say save your money and go for the Del Rey Edition...I bought mine signed and it didn't cost anything near the Dent price...and the cover art is wonderful.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28 2009, 03:47 AM   #4
Pernaficionado

Fan of: Dragonsong
Now Reading: brainships

oh thanks! sounds like a good plan. I saw a few but i was afraid the 1990 edition was a reprint or for a book club. I will begin my hunt!
Pernaficionado is offline   Reply With Quote