A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old Jul 23 2009, 04:18 AM   #1
DragonBuddy
Linyaari

Fan of: CS, Freedom, and Pern
Now Reading: Black Horses for the King
Default online sellers

Are we allowed to post trustworthy and reputable online book sellers? Not just the sites name like ebay or abe, but actual sellers like wysiwygbks on ebay; People that we have had a good experience with, and would do a transaction with again.
Likewise, Are we allowed to post sellers too avoid because they are selling fakes or incorrect descriptions of books?
I would like to start a reference list of both good (and bad) sellers and everyone could all add to it. I don’t want to upset anyone, so I thought I’d ask first and see. Has anyone started one already? On second thought, maybe its a bad idea.
DragonBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23 2009, 05:05 AM   #2
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Re: online sellers

DragonBuddy,

We usually do not promote sellers, just very occasionally an item though we do post and promote our own offers and sales. We actually avoid posting about offers on eBay and think it is more fair not to bring attention to them and let everybody fend for him- or herself.

That been said we often do post about things we have bought or acquired and in such a post you could, if appropriate, recommend the sellers of course, as part of your buying experience.

What we do indeed is post about bad sellers, bad buying experiences, bad service, fake signatures, extremely hilarious prices or typo's (Renegades of Perth come to mind), all to help our fellow fans to avoid such (or have a laugh).

As far as I know, nobody has started a reference list like the one you mention. A list with bad sellers won't be too long I think. Point is that, where eBay is concerned, you sometimes can have a bad experience with a seller who has a feedback score of 98 or 99. Does that constitute a bad seller? Can/should we put somebody like that on a list?
Personally I'd rather do reports on individual buys except for the fakes and forgeries of course; those sellers should appear on a list but for the fact that, if it is someone with a low number of sold articles it might be someone who is/was duped him/herself...

Just some thoughts to illustrate you have to thread carefully here. But we welcome topics like the one you posted recently and actually any post on suspected fakes/forgeries, wherever they appear on the web!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23 2009, 10:23 AM   #3
DragonBuddy
Linyaari

Fan of: CS, Freedom, and Pern
Now Reading: Black Horses for the King
Default Re: online sellers

You make some very good points. It could get a little nasty. I just recently had a very good experience and a not so good experience. Hopefully, I be able to return the forged book and get my money back. I couldn’t retract my bid until it was too late and now the books on its way. I think I’ll get it in todays mail or maybe tomorrow. Yes, I was the fool who won Freedon’s Ransom. I’ve always been careful buying books online, but I think I made a mistake this time! I think paypal will get me my money back. The other book I got was The Crystal Singer 1982 UK first edition, which I’m really excited about (even though the book isn’t signed). I haven’t received it yet and it could take up to 6 weeks. Thanks for getting back to me so quicky.
DragonBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote