A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old May 19 2009, 04:03 PM   #1
Nina
Talent

Finder

Fan of: The Talent series
Now Reading: almost a book a day
how do I judge the value of an AMC book?

I mean apart from my own interests!

It is a bit hard having to admit that my collecting has become a bit obsessive. I have just bought several books that I already have. I now own three paperback copies of "The Rowan". Of course, it is my favourite, but it is the most worn one with the AMC signature. Well, I really only want paperbacks since they do not take up much space and are easy to take anywhere. I had decided that I would not collect and only have books for reading - yeah right!!! Things have progressed since

Sooo, I have several hardbacks, and theoretically I would want to sell these here in Europe, but how do I set the price. Some of them are first edition ex-library books - a contradiction in itself.

Now I also find that I cannot decide which book to sell just because they have different covers.

My love for AMC's writing and books has just become too much

Can you help me?

The Rowan is my favourite!

"The name rowan is believed to derive from the Norse runa - "a charm". It was often planted outside houses to ward off witches. On May Day a spray of rowan leaves was hung over doors to repel evil, and wells dressed with rowan to keep witches away. The rowan, or mountain ash, is found commonly in Scotland, sometimes clinging to a rock face."
Nina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2009, 04:28 PM   #2
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Re: how do I judge the value of an AMC book?

As you say the value is of course what someone wants to pay for it

As for pricing there one reliable technique: comparison.
Go onto eBay or other (European) auction sites in your own country and abroad and look what people ask for the same title and, if done well, especially what price it sells/sold for. That will give you an excellent indication of value.

It doesn't seem to work for the extremely expensive stuff that is very rare, because there you will have people bidding far over the actual value of the book because they need to have it. You could argie that the price it sells for is also the value in that case but that depends on your definition of value.

Do you really want to sell some of your Anne McCaffrey books? Is room/space indeed that important? It is always your choice of course but with me it works the other way around. I'll go looking for more (shelf) space instead of selling

I'd be willig to help if I have data in my files for the titles/books you want to sell (I've been keeping an eye on AMC books sold eBay for a few years now). In that case you might want to email me specifics: all data on the book + its condition.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2009, 12:45 AM   #3
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Personally I think the price will vary, dependent on several things:

1. THE BUYER! - you will have the normal everyday reader who basically just wants a book to buy and read to the collector who "WANTS IT and wants it now" because it's something they want to complete a series.

2. The book itself - is it a 1st edition? an ex-library? reading copy only (falling apart but still okay to read)? reprints? a recent edition? or one that has come out 20 years ago? a limited print run or mass produced? is it a signed copy?

These are what I've come up with and that's dealing with 2 series by other authors who's books are hard to come by, mainly as they passed away over 40 years ago and few publishers have taken the rights up again to re-publish them. As AMC is still in the land of the living, it's slightly different but as she is still a much loved and popular author and publishers will still publish her books, as Hans said, it's worth checking out comparative prices so one knows what to expect for a particular book.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2009, 01:05 AM   #4
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

I can understand you only wanting to collect paperbacks...so that you will have room for all of them...but you do know that at some point you will have to find another shelf for those as well...LOL. I do hope your only selling some of your AMC books, to make room for other AMC books???

Don't worry about having two, three or four book of the same copy...I have most all of my books double, tripled or more, depending on how many covers they made of any given title.

When you start collecting you start slow and small...and it just seems to take on a life of it's own...and it starts growing, and growing until you start parting with other books to make room for more of what is important to you...your collection.

I would agree with Hans...go onto your local ebay...or other internet book seller stores, and see what they are pricing and selling what you are wanting to sell...that should give you a decent idea of what the book is selling for at this time...it will also tell you what is worth more money, because it's rarely seen on the market.

I remember when you got your book signed in Copenhagen...and when we first met, with your husband and son, while talking with Anne...that was a wonderful time for al of us.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2009, 09:37 AM   #5
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina View Post
Can you help me?
Do you want help selling, or in realizing that is perfectly fine to have a collection including multiple copies of the same book with different bindings or cover art?

Hans's suggestion is a good way to research prices -- search the completed auctions on ebay (limited to copies sold in Europe).

Another alternative, although it won't give you European standard prices, is to search on www.bookfinder.com . It could be more helpful for searches on ex-library first editions which are generally less common.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2009, 11:14 AM   #6
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

Collecting is such a personal thing. It can be hard for someone else to determine what you should keep and what not to keep. As Hans said, he's got several copies of many books, each with something different about the cover. I have limited myself to first edition US hardcovers and paperbacks. Having said that I also own several UK hardcovers and a few other paperbacks from other countries. Not as extensive as Hans or other collectors but I buy what I like.

As for collecting being an obsession.......there are many other obsessive folks in this forum! I don't think any of us expected we'd end up where we are with our collections when we first started out picking up a copy of a book here and another there. Have fun with your collecting!!!!

Valuing a book can be difficult. Some of your ex-library copies could be worth a fair price if they are the older, more rare copies. Both Hans and Cheryl have given you the best places to go on getting a value. It may take a little time on your part to research but I'm sure you'll get it figured out.
Old May 20 2009, 06:39 PM   #7
Nina
Talent

Finder

Fan of: The Talent series
Now Reading: almost a book a day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl View Post
Do you want help selling, or in realizing that is perfectly fine to have a collection including multiple copies of the same book with different bindings or cover art?

I should have anticipated these answers from other AMC collectors

Cheryl, you are spot on - and I do not know

Thank you for all your suggestions and answers, I do have some investigating to do now. I am very new on ebay, so I will have to find out how to search for completed auctions.

AND I have to make some decisions - this is very hard, and perhaps Hans is right about looking for more shelf space or maybe selling other books to make room for AMC books.

Maelin, I you for remembering and making me remember too!!!

Further suggestions are welcome!

The Rowan is my favourite!

"The name rowan is believed to derive from the Norse runa - "a charm". It was often planted outside houses to ward off witches. On May Day a spray of rowan leaves was hung over doors to repel evil, and wells dressed with rowan to keep witches away. The rowan, or mountain ash, is found commonly in Scotland, sometimes clinging to a rock face."
Nina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2009, 08:22 PM   #8
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Your more than welcome Nina...I love remembering everything from that trip, as it was one of my most wonderful adventures.
Good Luck with whatever you decide to do...either with obtaining new shelving or in selling a few of your books.

P.S. Have you considered gifting a few of your books to some of your friends...and in that way starting some of them on their own AMC adventrue???

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2009, 12:41 AM   #9
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

Nina - in eBay click on Advanced Search. The option for searchng completed auctions is there. Have fun!
Old May 21 2009, 02:54 AM   #10
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Good luck with it.... either way!

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30 2009, 12:47 PM   #11
saphira1963
Muskie

Fan of: all of the sci-fi ones
Now Reading: dragonrider of pern (9) times
Brown Re: how do I judge the value of an AMC book?

acorna is a very good book too the whole series>
saphira1963 is offline   Reply With Quote