A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old Jun 1 2009, 04:17 PM   #1
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default My recent acquisitions

I hope this doesn't sound snobish but it's becoming harder to find things that I can tell or brag about here. Having said that...

Some of you might remember I posted in October of 2008 about two Polish magazine I had finally found after years of searching only to find that the Anne McCaffrey stories that should have been in them were not when they arrived at my house (the thread abut that is: here).
Of course I kept the magazines and several of you said that, despite not being lucky, I would now have a (good) contact in Poland.

Well, two weeks ago the very same second hand bookshop in Lodz that sold me the two magazines advertised the booklet (the two part which should have been in the magazines together) on eBay. Needless to say I immediately grabbed my chance and though the item does shows its age I now have what I coveted all thise many years: the two magazines and the two part, take out booklet with the illegal and unauthorized translation and publicaton of Weyr Search and Dragonrider.

cover of the folded open

Someone has taken the pages out of the magazine and (lovingly) "bound" them by stitching them together with a red piece of string. I now also have what Hargreaves doesn't list or show: a piece of cover art that's entirely new to me!

Hargreaves does list the magazines (items G and H on page 195 with pictures of their covers on page 196) but doesn't show the booklet cover art.

half of the inside cover (which originally is the bottom half of a magazine page with an illustration that has nothing to do with the booklet) and the first/title page; the story begins with a short Anne McCaffrey biography.

The second item I ordered quite a few weeks ago and has been lying around to be shown here. It is a hardcover first editio of The White Dragon in Spanish, El Dragon Blanco, published by Acervo in Barcelona in 1982. It is mainly interesting for its cover art by German de Erausquin. Not because of its high quality bit more for its originality (at least it is an actual White Dragon ).

Last I again couldn't resist something from Australia because nobody bid on it. Last time it was a first edition UK hc of Decision at Doona, this time a mass market paperback edition of The Mark of Merlin. It has a very nice ex libris and is inscribed/signed by Anne.

This book started at $5 AUS dollar which is a steal for any signed McCaffrey novel and when nobody bid on it it I swear I heard it whisper: "I want to go to The Netherlands". And while I really, honest try to curb my collecting to Pern and Pern related stuff my hearing is acute, the flesh is weak and I had to give in...

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.

Last edited by Hans; Jun 2 2009 at 05:39 PM. Reason: typo
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1 2009, 05:14 PM   #2
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat
Default Re: My recent acquisitions

I believe that artwork of what seems to be an angel smiting sinners is by the British artist William Blake. Sure looks like it anyway. He's a favorite of mine, whenever I was in London I had to go to the gallery that had some of his work in it. Of course, you did say it had nothing to do with the stories!
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1 2009, 05:55 PM   #3
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

I think it's 'Satan doing something nasty to Job'.

I too spent long hours in that gallery.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4 2009, 11:16 AM   #4
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

These are wonderful additions to your ever growing collection. I really enjoyed the polish cover art...even though it's not very Pern like for Lessa, at least she has on a bit more clothing that some of the European covers you have collected...LOL.

The *White Dragon* edition from Spain, it's cover is very interesting looking, but it also looks like they poorly copied the dragon style from the Whelan cover.

A signed paper back for $5.00...[] it's good thing that the flesh was weak, and that your inner collector had such a good talk with you to buy it....!!!

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5 2009, 08:36 AM   #5
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

We need a jealous happy dance smiley, for times like this when the combination is appropriate! Well done as usual!
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6 2009, 01:16 AM   #6
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Cheryl...oh you betcha...as too often we just have a need to show how very jealous we are, when we see collectibles like these or so many others that are here on MoM.
Sometimes ing just doesn't really cover it ...

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18 2009, 01:53 AM   #7
Larry
Glow

Fan of: Menolly

Hans, congratulations on your finds, the first ones in particular. It is nice to be able to see something like this at least once in our lives. I do not expect to ever see it again!

Of course, I may have to start my own search now....
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote