A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old Jun 8 2009, 04:23 PM   #1
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default A collectors item I forgot to mention

This item was mentioned and discussed before and, like with the PC and Dreamcast Dragonriders CD's, I am looking for all the various versions. So... some time ago (uhm, in February... ) I came across someone selling the Commodore Dragonriders game on cassette. I already have the 5,25" floppy disk version and had been looking for a nice priced copy of the cassette version.

So, here it is:

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8 2009, 09:26 PM   #2
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly
Default Re: A collectors item I forgot to mention

Very nice. Now you'll just have to find a Commodore 64 on which to play it.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9 2009, 12:46 AM   #3
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

WOW Hans...Congratulationson such an interesting find!!!

Lord... I never even knew this game existed for that old of computer...but then again I knew almost nothing about the Comodore Computers, even though we actually had one way back when.

Do they have this game available, in some form that will play on something modern?

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9 2009, 01:16 AM   #4
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Lady Maelin, I must be showing my age then if I can remember playing it and that was before I started to like Anne McCaffrey and before PSP's, DS's, XBOX's and PS2's etc.. came into play. Sorry if that came out cheekily but I do remember back in the early 1980's it came out and commodore 64's used to run off tv's in some instances.

Hans if I had known you were after a copy, why didn't you ask me? I could have helped out in some small aspect with it

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9 2009, 03:41 AM   #5
Hans
Master Archivist

P'ter, Maelin, there are simulators that will let you play the game on a PC. I wouldn't want to play it (again) though, it's horribly dated and wouldn't capture one as it used to like it did in the dawn era of modern home computers. Maelin, didn't you buy a CD or DVD with a zillion old games on it not so long ago, including this one?

Jube, if you see a (cheap) Atari version of this game, send me a message And I did ask you to keep an eye open in this thread. But that was long ago

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Jun 9 2009, 11:03 AM   #6
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Is okay Hans, I've been looking for so long that I kind of gave up temporarily but when this popped up, I did go looking again - it gave me a shove in the right direction . I'll pm you tomorrow night with any information that I've found between now and then. Nighty-nite for now.

P.S. Which reminds me that I need to "photobucket" a few books to add various highlights - need to find camera first.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Jun 10 2009, 12:24 AM   #7
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Hans...I meant to a few years back for Christmas......but another more desired collectible came up and I got it instead. I had forgotten about that new play disc...I will have to put it on this years Christmas list...if they still make it!!!

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Jun 10 2009, 03:34 AM   #8
Hans
Master Archivist

Maelin, and others, if you are interested in (playing) the game; it can be done without spending money. Go here and download the game itself.
Then go here and download (and install) the emulator.

This is something different than the CD/DVD Maelin talked about on which yu will find a gazillion of the old games. But if you are only interested in the DRoP game for old times sake, this is your cheap solution!

Old Jun 10 2009, 05:01 AM   #9
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

I tried that and it said that it would only let me download if I actively visited the site of one of their sponsors ....

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10 2009, 09:00 AM   #10
Hans
Master Archivist

Google this: free download commodore dragonriders pern game

and chose one of the other sites

Old Jun 10 2009, 10:30 AM   #11
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Hans - sending pm, regards to info that I said in earlier post.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Jun 10 2009, 11:52 AM   #12
Hans
Master Archivist

As I also said in the PM, the bpxes of the Disk and Cassette version of this game I have are different. And from pictures on the internet I know it has been marketed in even more different pachages and even in a package with other games added (I think 4 games in one package). It's rather funny that the cassette version box has the exact size of a 5,25" floppy disk

The art used is always the same though, so the games are easily recognisable.

Old Jun 10 2009, 01:01 PM   #13
Bagpuss
Deski

Fan of: Crystal Singer.
Now Reading: Nothing at all.....!

Hans,

Was there a booklet with the game?
I have this game also, but these's a 20(ish) page booklet, which has the map you show stapled in the centre as part of the book.
The instructions for "game play" are in the booklet.
I wouldn't have thought there'd be different versions of the game package.
Old Jun 10 2009, 04:00 PM   #14
Hans
Master Archivist

Tony, yes, with both versions there's a booklet stapled in the middle of the booklet. Fort the square box (cassete version) the booklet is smaller and the map folded inwards while the booklet is bigger for the disk version, so big that the map does not need to be folded. For both version the booklet is the size of the box.

I've also seen versions in plastic boxes that look like a DVD box and I think I have seen those in bookformat and square. I think I have also seen kind of sleeves and of course the version with more games in a plastic booklet like package.

The small, square booklet has indeed 20 pages (ex map) while the bigger booklet (about half letter size) has 14 pages. The front and back aren't numbered and the backside of the map is printed upon, which is not the case with the smaller booklet map.

Old Jun 10 2009, 08:59 PM   #15
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Actually there's also a 6 game version (that's the one I've got ) and a single version which I talked about in my pm, Hans. Both have similiar instructions.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Jun 11 2009, 01:03 AM   #16
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Hans...first let me thank you for finding this *Free download* site for the Dragonriders of Pern game. I hope that now that I have it downloaded, I will be able to figure out how to make it go, so that I can play it...[sigh for the computer illiterates out there like me.]..UGG!!!

Old Jun 11 2009, 03:53 AM   #17
Hans
Master Archivist

Jube, it might be that I mistook what I thought was a 4 game version for the 6 game version, but I am not totally sure.

Could you maybe post pictures of your copy?

Old Jun 11 2009, 11:03 AM   #18
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Yes, can do! Also providing something else to interest you. Please realise I'm using my scanner at moment because hubby dearest has put the camera somewhere and do you think I can find it, nope

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Jun 11 2009, 12:00 PM   #19
Hans
Master Archivist

I think your ECP package is indeed the one I thought contained 4 games.

Of course I own multiple copies of the PC game and was daft enough to hunt down and buy the Dreamcast version even though I have never even seen a Dreamcast up close There's a thread about that purchase in this subforum!

Thanks for the picture/scan of the 6 games pack

Old Jun 14 2009, 09:05 PM   #20
Deb Krol
Loo Cow

I do have the Commordore cassette player that mates with the 64 model if anybody who wants to play it is interested--I'll gift it for the cost of postage. It's just hanging around the house after I bought a Dragonriders game...
Deb Krol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15 2009, 06:16 AM   #21
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Hi again received the package today, will post photos now that I've found the camera

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!