A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old Feb 8 2009, 01:56 AM   #1
Brenda

Default Nostalgia...

Out of nowhere it occurred to me to look for a set of books I used to get from the library all the time when I was little...

Anyone ever read these?

Flicka, Ricka, and Dicka... Snipp, Snapp, and Snurr... Fun little books with great illustrations. I didn't know at the time they were by a Swedish author, or that they were written in the late 40's, early 50's.

I just remember being very excited whenever there was a Flicka, Ricka, Dicka book for me to check out at the library. This is a very specific memory for me... Considering how much time I've spent at the library over the years, I think that's saying something!

These are now on my list of "stuff I'm going to buy someday" - just because of the nostalgia.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8 2009, 06:19 AM   #2
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!
Default Re: Nostalgia...

Mine was Trixie Belden, Nancy Drew, The Chalet School, Enid Blyton, the Littles, Hardy Boys, 3 Investigators, Babysitters Club and when I got into high school, Anne McCaffrey's The White Dragon and Harperhall series. Honestly can't remember anything else.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8 2009, 08:39 PM   #3
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

Those remind me of the Dick and Jane book that use to be use to teach kids to read.

I us to like Col. S.P. Meeks I think was how you spelled the name. They were all stories about animals. I also liked Albert Turhune. They were all about collies.

I mostly liked animal stories when I was little.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8 2009, 10:21 PM   #4
Brenda

Jube - I read a lot of those, too - these came much earlier for me!
Old Feb 9 2009, 12:01 AM   #5
r2005
Crafter
Student

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: 1632 Series by Eric Flint

Nope, I never read any of those as a young kid.

For me, it was always a lot of Dr. Seuss plus some other favorites that I can' remember off the top of my head.
Old Feb 9 2009, 12:09 AM   #6
kevia
Ballybran Resident

Tuner

Fan of: Nimisha's Ship
Now Reading: Crystal Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by jube View Post
Mine was Trixie Belden, Nancy Drew, The Chalet School, Enid Blyton, the Littles, Hardy Boys, 3 Investigators, Babysitters Club and when I got into high school, Anne McCaffrey's The White Dragon and Harperhall series. Honestly can't remember anything else.
I actually own a full set of the Trixie Belden, and a full set of the hardcover Nancy Drew.
Old Feb 9 2009, 12:26 AM   #7
unicorntig
Dragonrider

Candidate

Fan of: Pern Series

I've never heard of the books you mentioned Brenda... but they look like a great children's series.

My first real series as a kid was the Babysitter's Club books and then as I got older I enjoyed the Chronicles of Narnia, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter... and finally my freshman year of high school I started with the Harper Hall trilogy and have been hooked/obsessed with Anne McCaffrey ever since. I remember writing a report on the crystal singer series for my 10th grade English class. That’s probably the most enjoyable report I’ve ever written.

Has anyone ever heard of the Replica series by Marilyn Kaye? That was my all-time favorite series in middle school/high school before I was introduced to Anne McCaffrey. Great book for the early teenage years!!
Old Feb 9 2009, 08:07 AM   #8
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Well being of the older generation I was brought up on a diet of George Alfred Henty, Robert Michael Ballantyne, A. A. Milne, and Arthur Ransome.

My early learn-to-read books were the Beacon Readers of which the only title I can rmember was one called 'Old Lob' ... oh and there was one called 'Careful Hans'.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9 2009, 06:00 PM   #9
Brenda

The only other books I can specifically recall from that age are Dr. Seuss and Bill Peet, and I think these were a little younger than that...

My sister figured out how to read before she entered kindergarten at age 5. I didn't, but I picked it up right away, shot ahead and never stopped since!
Old Feb 9 2009, 06:16 PM   #10
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

I have a partial set of Wizard of OZ books, and a rather good collection of Uncle Wiggly stories. I suspect in my house that my grandmother was the one who read to me, my mother was too busy with cleaning house/church activities.
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9 2009, 11:41 PM   #11
kevia
Ballybran Resident

Tuner

Fan of: Nimisha's Ship
Now Reading: Crystal Line

I completely forgot that I have a bunch of the Wizard of Oz books too. Hmmm, I think they are put away in a box somewhere. *now where is that thing, anyway* Oh, well, I might even have them all, but as I can't put my hands on them right now, I'm not sure.