A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Library Foyer > Events Board

Events Board Information on site-sponsored and member-sponsored events: trivia contests, gathers, etc.

Old Feb 4 2009, 04:43 PM   #1
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly
Default Eurocon 2009

I thought I'd try to find out where Eurocon is to be held this year (remembering the fun of 2007) and thought I'd struck gold when I found the following announcement:-

Quote:
EUROCON 2009
IEEE Region 8 regular conference
Devoted to the 150 Anniversary of Alexander Popov’s birthday
May 18 – 23, 2009,
St. Petersburg, Russia
Unfortunately THIS Eurocon is all to do with
Quote:
a whole spectrum of modern problems in Electrotechnics, Electronics and Computer Science.
Apparently the one I was looking for is:-

Quote:
Eurocon 2009
Deepcon 10 - Italcon 35

26-29 marzo 2009

Guests of Honour
Sergey Lukyanenko
Ian Watson
Giuseppe Lippi

Actors Guests of Honour
Marina Sirtis
Anthony Simcoe
Max Grodénchik

Guests
Geoffrey A. Landis
Mary Turzillo
Lolita Fatjo
Eric Stillwell
Larry Nemecek
Janet Nemecek

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)

Last edited by P'ter; Feb 5 2009 at 03:10 AM.
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4 2009, 04:48 PM   #2
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat
Default Re: Eurocon 2009

I can recommend Geoffrey Landis and Mary Turzillo. I enjoy their writing and they were truly gracious and friendly at Albacon.
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4 2009, 06:27 PM   #3
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Wish I could go, just to see Marina Sirtis....Star Trekking across the universe and Mary Turzillo for a book signing and all the MoM'ers who are going but .... priorities at moment seems to be a new air-con

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5 2009, 03:53 AM   #4
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

It was in Russia (Moscow) last year, P'ter

And wow, it is early... You forgot to mention it's in Fiuggi. That's in middle Italy.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5 2009, 05:41 AM   #5
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Yes, I remember it was in Moscow last year. When I saw St Petersburg come up; I was all ready to be rude about Eastern Europe taking over (a la Eurovision Song Contest).

For Fiuggi; it appears you have to fly into Rome and then train/coach across.

Now if it was in Friuli in northeastern Italy I'd be very sodrly tempted. There's a library there with some very early (14th cent) religious dramas stored away.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5 2009, 04:35 PM   #6
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Italy...that would be incredibly wonderful, as we have always wanted to go to Italy...but unfortunately this is not a good time for us this year. Maybe next year we will be able to go somewhere special.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13 2009, 12:39 AM   #7
Jandolyn
Inactive

Fan of: The Crystal Singer Series
Now Reading: The Skies of Pern

I've always been curious what sort of people go to meetings like Eurocon and Dragoncon. Not to hint that only weirdo superfreak fans go... Though I'd expect a smattering of those! I just wondered if I could ever go to such a meeting and if I would feel out of place. What do you do there? What is there to experience? Is it conference style or expo style or both? Indoors? outdoors? Please feel free to give me all the juicy details you'd like!
Jandolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13 2009, 03:28 AM   #8
Hans
Master Archivist

Jandolyn, check out the threads in here (this subforum) about "MoM going to, Eurocon" (Copenhagen, 2007). There's all kinds of material, written, pictures and even a movie or two. That and the links we provide to blogs and websites alone will give you a good impression of how crazy... erm... of what kind of people go to a SF convention

And watching the movies you also get to see Anne!(and me, but I advise you to forget that asap)

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Feb 13 2009, 08:33 AM   #9
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Are you feeling guilty about something, Hans, now you'll have people lining up to look?

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13 2009, 09:55 AM   #10
Hans
Master Archivist

No, not guilty, more embarrased.

Old Feb 13 2009, 10:31 PM   #11
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandolyn View Post
I've always been curious what sort of people go to meetings like Eurocon and Dragoncon. Not to hint that only weirdo superfreak fans go... Though I'd expect a smattering of those! I just wondered if I could ever go to such a meeting and if I would feel out of place. What do you do there? What is there to experience? Is it conference style or expo style or both? Indoors? outdoors? Please feel free to give me all the juicy details you'd like!
I can tell you that going to one of these trypes of events is wonderful. My husband and I have gone to several SF conventions here in the states, and we were among the MoMers that went all the way to Denmark, to join up with all the rest of the MoMers that were also going to Eurocon that year, to see/meet Anne and each other.
It was one of the most memorable times of mine and my husbands life. We had so much fun with everyone...Anne included.
Please go take a look at all the photos and the movies that were taken there, by Sara, and my husband Martin...it will prove to you that its more than worth your while and money to go....especially if you are meeting up with fantastic MoMer friends/ superfans and weirdo's, like we did at Eurocon and Worldcon.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Feb 16 2009, 11:01 PM   #12
Jandolyn
Inactive

Fan of: The Crystal Singer Series
Now Reading: The Skies of Pern

Thanks for the tips, Hans and Lady Maelin! I can tell it was a wonderful experience for you, Maelin! I will check it out.
Jandolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16 2009, 11:13 PM   #13
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Your welcome Jandolyn...hope you can find and make a few incredible memories of your own, when you finally get to go to a Sci-Fi Convention.