A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café > Café Archives

Old Dec 14 2008, 08:24 AM   #1
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Christmas market in Aix la Chapelle (Aachen)

Yesterday my wife and I visited Aix la Chapelle or Aachen in Germany. I admit, I didn't take many pictures and certainly not of the very crowded and cosy christmas market but we did have a good time.

Front of the Rathaus with market

Aachen is situated in a pleasant valley, 44 miles west of Cologne and contiguous to the Belgian and Dutch frontiers, to which its municipal boundaries extend.Of the cluster of buildings in the centre, which are conspicuous from afar, the town hall (Rathaus) and the cathedral are specially noteworthy. The former, standing on the south side of the market square, is a Gothic structure, erected in 1353-1370 on the ruins of Charlemagne's palace. It contains the magnificent coronation hall of the emperors (143 ft. by 61 ft.), in which thirty-five German kings and eleven queens have banqueted after the coronation ceremony in the cathedral. The two ancient towers, the Granusturm to the W. and the Glockenturm to the E., both of which to a large extent had formed part of the Carolingian palace, were all but destroyed in the fire by which the Rathaus was seriously damaged in 1883.

Back of the Rathaus with market

The cathedral is of great historic and architectural interest. Apart from the spire, which was rebuilt in 1884, it consists of two parts of different styles and date. The older portion, the capella in palatio, an octagonal building surmounted by a dome, was designed on the model of San Vitale at Ravenna by Udo of Metz, was begun under Charlemagne's auspices in 796 and consecrated by Pope Leo III. in 805. After being almost entirely wrecked by Norman raiders it was rebuilt, on the original lines, in 983, by the emperor Otto III. It is surrounded on the first story by a sixteen-sided gallery (the Hochmunster) adorned by antique marble and granite columns, of various sizes, brought by Charlemagne's orders from Rome, Ravenna and Trier. These were removed by Napoleon to Paris, but restored to their original positions after the peace of 1815.

Two pics that will give you an idea of the cathedral.

Underneath the dome, according to tradition, was the tomb of Charlemagne, which, on being opened by Otto III. in 1000, disclosed the body of the emperor, vested in white coronation robes and seated on a marble chair. The site of the tomb is marked by a stone slab, with the inscription Carlo Magno; and above it hangs the famous bronze chandelier presented by the emperor Frederick I. (Barbarossa) in 1168. Charlemagne's bones are preserved in an ornate shrine in the Hungarian Chapel, lying to the north of the octagon.

The chandelier in the dome

The Gothic choir, forming the more modern portion of the cathedral, was added during the latter half of the 14th and the beginning of the 15th century, and contains the tomb of the emperor Otto III.

The Gothic 'extension'

Almost looking up Maria's skirts...

Nice square in front of the cathedral's entrance with nice houses...

...one of which seems to have a tropical (!) garden on its roof

My wife and I kept returning to the Fishmarket and the Albrecht Dürer Stube where they had great drinks, coffee and cacao with hot Apfelstrudel with vanlla sauce too...

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14 2008, 08:52 AM   #2
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)
Default Re: Christmas market in Aix la Chapelle (Aachen)

Wow, what a beautiful cathedral and town. Thank you for sharing!
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14 2008, 03:46 PM   #3
r2005
Crafter
Student

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: 1632 Series by Eric Flint

That's really cool.

It puts more of an image in my head of that place because I've come across Charlemagne many times throughout my studies of French. Even though it's not what it was in the 800s, it's still interesting to see how things have changed over centuries.
Old Dec 14 2008, 11:31 PM   #4
SuzyQ
Inactive

Fan of: Talents
Now Reading: Need more time!

All I can say is "WOW!!" Thanks for sharing those beautiful photos! Love the architecture. :-)
SuzyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15 2008, 01:18 AM   #5
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Hans...your photos are as always incredibly interesting. The cathedral is so beautiful...and the Madona is an exquisite sculpture. I am so glad that you and Marjon had such a lovely outing, and some great German food as well.
P.S. To bad the *Albrecht Durer Stube* isn't the *Albrecht Durer künstlerstudio", then you could have taken a few photos for me, of where he worked....sigh!!!

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15 2008, 04:26 AM   #6
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

Wow! It looks good and I'm glad you had fun and managed to find somewhere good to eat!
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15 2008, 01:08 PM   #7
AnnMarie
Dragonrider
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

Thank you for those beautiful pics, Hans!
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15 2008, 04:37 PM   #8
murphy
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
All I can say is "WOW!!" Thanks for sharing those beautiful photos! Love the architecture. :-)

Ditto that.
murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17 2008, 05:43 AM   #9
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Fan of: Skies of Pern: what else?
Now Reading: My computer screen

Great pictures Hans. A small German Christmas market comes to the centre of Edinburgh each year, but Lanen would love to visit a real one in Germany one day.