A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Exhibit Hall

Exhibit Hall For the exhibition of artistic creations by our members, from poetry and prose to drawings, photography, and digital art.

Old Nov 11 2009, 06:55 PM   #1
Almaron
Weyr Harper

Fan of: White Dragon - Yay Ruth!
Default An idea for a Pern story I never finished

I was browsing through Fanfiction.net and checking out some of the stories written for Pern. One subject that had been attempted several times (Twice rather well, once disastrously) was the idea of a human arriving on Pern as a dragon. After reading one story that was dreadful, in terms of telling and how the person got to pern (It was a smarmy kid who just magically appeared there and proceeded to obnoxiously ignore every rule), I decided to try and write one of my own, to try and fix problems posed in their stories.

What I ended up with were various plans for a story that I couldn't decide what to do with, but I thought some notes were interesting, so I'll post what I had so far here for you to read through, in case you find it interesting.

The story is this: An independent scientist is working on a special device that needs testing. He hires a brainship (Named MC-813; a nod to where the DLG and Atlas are located at my library) and its brawn (Possibly with a gunner), and a crew of scientists with various skills (eg, one is a botanist, one is a geologist, etc). The first chapter would introduce them and their current situation (Possibly, the characters could have things that could hint at a certain dragon colour; eg brown hair, golden tresses, blue eyes, bronze shirt...)

The scientist in charge informs the brawn that he needs to test his machine in a place where there will be no chance of interference, and he bribes him to travel to the Rukbat sector, which should be safe for spaceship travel.

Arriving in orbit of Pern, the scientist gathers his crew to test the machine he has invented; it is a matter modifier, capable of changing the molecular structure of anyone or anything. He proceeds in turning an elderly lab rat into a healthy plant, much to the amazement and horror of the crew. Plans are prepared for the next step in the process, when the brain half of the ship announces that they are receiving messages from Pern. The crew investigates on their terminals. They find that an idle AIVAS terminal is broadcasting information waves, and genetic codes for dragons start to appear on the screen. Before any of them have a chance to understand what it means, a rogue meteor hits the ship, and tears a huge hole in it. The lab where the machine is is hit, and the crew are either killed or knocked out. The lead scientist is fatally wounded, but before he dies, he sees the terminals still displaying the dragon data, his machine preparing to fire, and his crew right in the path. He dies, and the ship plummets towards the planet.

Shortly before this, at Ruatha Star Hold at Ice Lake (This story occurs 75-100 years after the ninth pass), a dragon and his rider watch the sky for any potential dangers. The computers sense an oncoming meteor, and his dragon moves it to a different location in the sky (Without realising that this will cause it to hit the ship. The meteor seemingly appears out of nowhere for them, and prevents any chance of avoiding it). A while later, the dragon sees bright lights in the sky; it is the spaceship crashing to earth. As it plummets further (Towards Tillek), a small piece breaks away. The rider tells his dragon to guide it towards them, so they can investigate it. His dragon moves it so that it crashes softly in the ice lake. Running over to it, they find the object looks similar to diagrams seen at landing (It’s an escape pod). They open it, and find an unconscious man inside (The brawn of the ship).

The brawn wakes up later in a strange bed, where the rider is tending to him. Confused, he asks where he is (This chapter would be the “Exposition” chapter, where everything that the brawn needs to know about pern is explained to him, including him seeing the dragon through the window, and asking about dragons. He would also see a large tapestry on the wall of a man riding a white dragon, to which the rider would tell him that it is a picture of the long-deceased Lord Jaxom with Ruth, placed there to honour his ordering of the building of the star hall.)

That chapter would end with a bunch of dragon eggs washing up on Tillek’s shores (Not far from where the ship crashed), to be discovered by travelling merchants (Like Jayge, but I forget the word used to describe them). They would take them to Fort Weyr, because they know there is a queen clutching there. After the eggs arrive at the weyr, the riders send messages to the other weyrs, asking if any eggs are missing, but finding that no eggs are missing. Confused, they decide to place the eggs on the hatching sands with the others. At the same time, the brawn ends up being taken to Fort.

At this point I ran out of ideas, as I was unsure where to go with the story. As you may have guessed, the “eggs” are the scientists from the ship (Five of them, each a different dragon colour). But I couldn’t decide whether they should impress people, or if that would even work. At one point, I toyed with the idea of several surviving crew-members faking impression, to protect their friends. But then the problem I faced was where to go with it. They wouldn’t necessarily have the instincts of the dragons, and this could detract from the story.

The closest thing to an ending I came up with was that the brainship would be intact underwater, and that they would have to dredge it up, repair it, and somehow reverse the transformation of the scientists. I also toyed with the idea of the transformation affecting the way they thought, leading most of them to try and reverse their condition before they lost their minds (It would end with the Gold and Bronze changing back to normal, but the rest sticking with the change, the green losing all memories of life as a human). I also wondered what would happen if the Gold of the group clutched, and whether or not the eggs would hatch (And I also considered killing off the Bronze in an accident, as it would be something unexpected; the leader carking it).

So yeah. All of that is a bit disjointed, but I post it here in case anyone else wants to build off it. Even though I gave up, one of you may have a better idea of how to finish it.
Almaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11 2009, 10:10 PM   #2
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow
Default Re: An idea for a Pern story I never finished

It sounds like a start of a good fan-fic.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is nu online   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12 2009, 12:37 PM   #3
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

Setting aside the serious moral questions of creating a matter-conversion device that could transform a sentient being into a nonsentient being (rat to plant) and all the potential Nightmare Fuel scenarios that creates (plus the plausibility factor, not to mention why would this procedure or device, which would have to be insanely complicated, be able to turn people into dragons IN EGGS by accident when unless Pern has been visited by humans they wouldn't have any information at all about dragons and no biological samples), the number one problem I have with the scenario--the brainship is a PERSON. It's a sentient human being.

AIVAS is an "it". A brainship is a he or a she with a name, personality, and a HUMAN BODY at the core of their ship who has a whole lot of human rights to go with it. And brawns are not just randomly assigned, they're matched by personality and the final decision is made by the ship and unless they are a bad fit they have a deep bond and working relationship. The brawn's #1 priority on waking up, besides "Where the **** am I?" is going to be "Where is my ship and is he/she all right?" He or she is not going to give a flying fig about dragons and the noble late Lord Jaxom or be willing to toddle off to Fort Weyr until s/he knows where the brain is and that they're all right. Being trapped at the bottom of the lake and unable to get out sounds like a great way of causing sensory deprivation for the brain, who could very well go insane from it. Any halfway decent brawn, never mind a good one, would be moving heaven and earth to get their ship out of that kind of situation as their number-one priority, even over the other passengers.
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12 2009, 03:59 PM   #4
Almaron
Weyr Harper

Fan of: White Dragon - Yay Ruth!

Good point. I didn't manage to plan this out too well, I only had vague ideas for scenes. But the brain wouldn't have had no sensors; whole sections of the ship would still be airtight and intact.

Actually, the only reason I wanted to use a brainship was 1. I had no idea what kind of spaceships would exist in the FSS, and 2. I wanted to use the library serial number as a identification signal.

(And yes, the Matter Converter thing is a bit of a cop out, but it was the only plausible way I could think of making humans into dragons, using genetic data stored on AIVAS. I was only trying to do to prove it could be done well in story format, without resorting to magic to do it or stuff like that. The only problem, once I got the story started I went, "What did I do this for again?")
Almaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8 2009, 06:22 AM   #5
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Well here is thought on the missing brain, he/she could send the pod to save his/her brawn, before losing full contron, The collom with the shell could be found by the dolphins, and they could have send information to Tillek, and betwen them, riders/dragons and the other could have try to save the brain, or have sent between or somthing like that,

I don't know what else, it and idea tol let stew, also I had an idea of related to that too.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8 2009, 06:27 AM   #6
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anareth View Post
Setting aside the serious moral questions of creating a matter-conversion device that could transform a sentient being into a nonsentient being (rat to plant) and all the potential Nightmare Fuel scenarios that creates (plus the plausibility factor, not to mention why would this procedure or device, which would have to be insanely complicated, be able to turn people into dragons IN EGGS by accident when unless Pern has been visited by humans they wouldn't have any information at all about dragons and no biological samples), the number one problem I have with the scenario--the brainship is a PERSON. It's a sentient human being.

AIVAS is an "it". A brainship is a he or a she with a name, personality, and a HUMAN BODY at the core of their ship who has a whole lot of human rights to go with it. And brawns are not just randomly assigned, they're matched by personality and the final decision is made by the ship and unless they are a bad fit they have a deep bond and working relationship. The brawn's #1 priority on waking up, besides "Where the **** am I?" is going to be "Where is my ship and is he/she all right?" He or she is not going to give a flying fig about dragons and the noble late Lord Jaxom or be willing to toddle off to Fort Weyr until s/he knows where the brain is and that they're all right. Being trapped at the bottom of the lake and unable to get out sounds like a great way of causing sensory deprivation for the brain, who could very well go insane from it. Any halfway decent brawn, never mind a good one, would be moving heaven and earth to get their ship out of that kind of situation as their number-one priority, even over the other passengers.
Well I know the if the dragons can find it, perhaps wtih the help of the dolphineer, fresh water and dolpins don't go together, unless it a mix of the two, the dragons could use own able like in SoP to pick up the ship/shell that way.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote