A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Beyond Anne McCaffrey

Beyond Anne McCaffrey We know Anne's not the only author you read and enjoy. Come here to discuss and discover authors beyond Anne!

Old Feb 8 2005, 05:39 PM   #1
sassie
Inactive

Location: Bristol U.K. but normally in which book i'm reading at the time
Default Has anyone read Elizabeth A Lynn books?

I've just pick up a book by Elizabeth A Lynn called 'Dragons Treasure' very cheap, but it's a sequel to 'Dragons Winter' and I was hoping that if anybody has read anything by her and is she any good, before I go out and buy the first one at full price, got to look after the pennies! so any comments would be very welcome
folks!
sassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9 2005, 01:06 AM   #2
Pam
Heptite Guildmaster

Fan of: Lars Dahl
Default Re: Has anyone read Elizabeth A Lynn books?

I read something by her, can't remember what its called. It was pretty good, but not good enough that I ripped the sequel off the shelf and started reading it. In fact, its been 2 years and I still haven't read it. So, I really don't know much of anything

The Crystal Singer Continuum

Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9 2005, 03:19 AM   #3
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

I love Elizabeth A Lynn's Chronicles of Tornor series. I have Watchtower and The Dancers of Arun, and when I visited Hans two years ago I read his copy of The Northern Girl. These books are more or less independent stories set in the same world, a medieval-tech world dark with war and bright with dance.

The books, especially Arun, may not be for everyone, though. It features two brothers raised apart who after various events, and through witch-gifts they both have (like Talent) meet up again, and fall in love. However, it's written in such a way that the homosexual relationship between them reads as something very beautiful rather than perverted.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9 2005, 07:27 AM   #4
sassie
Inactive

Thanks for the comments. I think I will keep my eye out for the first book and I'll let you know what it's like,
Ghyle Thanks for the titles of her series and stand alone books, I will look out for those as well, sounds very interesting, I like books with a mixture of fantasy with technology included as a part of every day life
just because there are elements of magic/fantasy it doesn't mean the have to be set in a rural/simple life type world. I really enjoyed the 'Darkover' books for that
Old Feb 13 2005, 07:34 PM   #5
Shalyn

Location: Loo-a-vull / Luhvuhl / Loo-ih-ville / Loo-a-ville / Looeyville / Lewisville Oh, Heck. Kentuckiana.
Fan of: Dragonflight

You know, reading the second book, or coming into the middle of a series isn't that bad. I did that with Sharon Green's "The Blending" series, reading book three before getting one and two. (And four and five.) Come to think of it, I began Zelazny's Amber series with "Sign of the Unicorn". 'Course I was young then, and picked it up because it had 'unicorn' in the title. Best mistake I ever made...

As a matter of fact (back to the topic), I believe that if a writer is good, you can begin reading anywhere in the series and understand what's going on.

(Unlike Jannie Wurtz' "Mistwraith" series - I accidentally started on the second book, and couldn't get past chapter one. Then, when I picked up "Curse of the Mistwraith", I found that the series just wasn't for me.)

So read the second one first. This way you'll know if you like it or not.
Shalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14 2005, 05:59 AM   #6
sassie
Inactive

Shalyn, it's very strange but I just could'nt get into the 'Mistwraith' series either and yet I've enjoyed a few of her other books but she still isn't an author that I'd look for!

Last edited by sassie; Feb 14 2005 at 06:18 AM.