A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Beyond Anne McCaffrey

Beyond Anne McCaffrey We know Anne's not the only author you read and enjoy. Come here to discuss and discover authors beyond Anne!

Old Nov 27 2004, 05:51 PM   #1
Sandi

Default Super Sleuths

Do you like Archie Goodwin? How about Lord Peter Wimsey? Have you ever thought tea with Miss Marple would be a lot of fun? There are a lot of mystery series out there. There's a pair of Siamese cats that could hold their own against anyone! I love a good mystery story, what about y'all?
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27 2004, 09:01 PM   #2
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose
Default Re: Super Sleuths

Marjory Allingham's "Campion"! I can't think of who wrote "Brother Cadfael" (spelling?), but I like those, too!
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27 2004, 09:05 PM   #3
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

Fan of: the Dragonriders of Pern!
Now Reading: The Elder Gods - Eddings

mysterries are great fun! (and very rewarding if you can guess the criminal before the main character! )

"When a harper is silenced, all men should listen harder." AtWoP
c_ris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28 2004, 06:43 AM   #4
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

So, is this a thread for the criminally inclined?

Sorry, I'm Dutch, my English is not that good....

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28 2004, 11:56 AM   #5
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

I've always found Commander Dalgliesh by P. D. James a singularly attractive detective. Ah, well, it's probably my weakness for poets showing through. :o
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28 2004, 01:07 PM   #6
Sandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
So, is this a thread for the criminally inclined?

Sorry, I'm Dutch, my English is not that good....

I guess you could call it that, Hans. It's those of us who enjoy reading the process of uncovering the criminal mind.

One of my all-time TV favorites was Columbo. On that show you were told who did the crime and watched the detective figure it out. Sometimes I would deliberately not watch the first 15 minutes of the show so I could enjoy figuring it out with him.
Old Nov 29 2004, 03:36 AM   #7
Faren

Loo Cow

Fan of: Talent and Freedom Series
Now Reading: Invisible Prey, John Sandford

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnMarie
Marjory Allingham's "Campion"! I can't think of who wrote "Brother Cadfael" (spelling?), but I like those, too!
Brother Cadfael novels are by Ellis Peters.
Faren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29 2004, 03:41 AM   #8
Faren

Loo Cow

Fan of: Talent and Freedom Series
Now Reading: Invisible Prey, John Sandford

I loved all the Peter Wimsey novels. It's been a long time since I've read them though. What was the one that ended with Peter and Harriet speaking in Latin? I was so ticked off because I had no idea what it meant and it took me a long time to figure out the translation.

Anyone read Ngaio Marsh? I enjoyed her books a lot...maybe it's time to do some mystery re-reads.
Faren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29 2004, 02:29 PM   #9
kitsch
Inactive

I really like the Lindsey Davis Falco novels. They're set in Rome and around the Empire in the first century AD and concern a private investigator (Falco) and his various cases.
kitsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29 2004, 06:17 PM   #10
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnMarie
Yay! another Albert Campion fan! I love those books-my mum's got most of them-right up until the posthumous one. Isn't it Mystery mile that has the quote

Quote:
Here lie I poor Albert Campion, death was bad but life was champion!
Lord Peter Wimsey too but not Agatha Christie-her characters can be a bit lifeless. I've also read Ngaio Marsh and vfarious others such as Michael Innes, Simon Brett and (I cant remember the name-but he wrote most of them under pseudonymns and they were v formulaic) the man who wrote, Gideon, Inspector West, the Toff, the Baron etc, etc, etc!
Oh! and Edgar Wallace!

OK I admit it I spent ALOT of my teen AND preteen years reading this stuff. I know I had progressed from Christie to Allingham before I was 12 and i never looked back!

as you can tell I read alot-any detective worth his salt could by spotting the avalanche where the stored books were at home!
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30 2004, 04:57 AM   #11
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

I like Christie, although some of her plots can be a bit thin. They hang on a flimsy assumption about a certain kind of person doing a certain thing, and she does tend to be a bit moralistic at times. What bugs me most, though, is that Poirot was an old man in The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, written in the 1920s, yet still going strong in the 1970s where some of the final stories were obviously set. Same thing is true for Miss Marple, for that matter.
Old Nov 30 2004, 08:29 AM   #12
Rho
Renegade

Fan of: Dragonsdawn
Now Reading: The Land of Painted Caves

The Falco novels (as recommended by kitsch) are really great. I love Lindsey Davis' style of writing.

Last edited by Rho; Nov 30 2004 at 09:24 AM. Reason: spelling
Rho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30 2004, 09:05 AM   #13
ndine
Inactive

I'm currently rereading the Kate Shugak series by Dana Stabenow.I love her characters, and the scenery is fantastic!
ndine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30 2004, 11:41 AM   #14
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

I do like Falco, but I also enjoy Steven Saylor's Roma Sub Rosa series, featuring Gordianus the Finder. (It's got a more academic tone than the Falco series, which isn't surprising considering Saylor is an academic and an expert in ancient Rome.)

Cadfael! I do like Cadfael. (By Elis Peters, aka Edith Pargeter, or however she spelled her real last name.) I even had the interesting experience of meeting a real Benedictine, and yes, he liked Cadfael! It's also where I picked up my first real interest in herbal medicines, as Cadfael runs the Abbey infirmary and keeps the herb garden.

This summer I really got hooked on Anne Perry's Thomas and Charlotte Pitt series (starts with "The Cater Street Hangman.") At times, the "Victorian Social Commentary" atmosphere does get a bit thick, but I do like the characters and the mysteries are generally tricky.

I like Lord Peter, in limited doses. And I love the television versions with Ian Carmichael. He just was Lord Peter.
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30 2004, 12:30 PM   #15
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

I'm from round Cadfael country!
There used to be an Attraction in Shrewsbury called Shrewsbury Quest-but it folded.
You can see all the placenames in my area.

Its quite fun really.
I went to school in Shropshire too.
Old Nov 30 2004, 01:52 PM   #16
kitsch
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anareth
I do like Falco, but I also enjoy Steven Saylor's Roma Sub Rosa series, featuring Gordianus the Finder. (It's got a more academic tone than the Falco series, which isn't surprising considering Saylor is an academic and an expert in ancient Rome.)
I keep picking up the first in the series (Last Seen in Massilia) and thinking about getting it but then not doing so. I did like a short story he contributed to a Historical Crime Fiction Omnibues so it might be worth a try. I'm planning a visit to Foyles bookshop when we're in London next weekend so maybe I will get it then.

Has anyone read any of the China Bayles mysteries? I've only read one so far (they're quite tricky to get hold of) but I did enjoy it.
kitsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30 2004, 04:31 PM   #17
ndine
Inactive

China Bayles is one of my standby's. I have them all. I really like the tidbits of information on herbs she uses to head the chapters.
ndine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1 2004, 08:34 PM   #18
Pat
Inactive

Smile Re: Super Sleuths

I enjoy mysteries, particularly the "cozy" type. Susan Wittig Albert's China Bayles series is a good one. I sometimes think the murder is secondary to the "background" information, as in SWA's case, the herbal lore.

One favorite is the Sister Fidelma mysteries by Peter Tremayne. Tremayne is a pseudonym for an authority on the ancient Celts. Sister Fidelma is a 7th century Irish nun, who is also an advocate of the ancient law courts of Ireland (dalaigh). Good reading for historical/celtic fans.

For just "laughing out loud" reading, I love Joan Hess' Maggody series. Small southern town with really "eccentric" characters.
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2 2004, 09:53 AM   #19
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

I forgot sister Fidelma-I liked those. Got bit annoyed when I spotted a historical error in one-because the others were so good. i think i read a short first of those.
Old Dec 2 2004, 10:29 AM   #20
Kater
Menetteth's Rider
Weyrling

Fan of: Pern, Tower, and Pegasus
Now Reading: Watchers by Dean Koontz

I'm not a big mystery reader but there was one book (can't remember title or athor sorry :sad: )

It was about a man who had broken his leg and loved to solve ancient mysteries. This time he was delving into the mystery of the prince who was kept in London Tower and presumed to have been killed there or just left to die. In the end I think he had solved the mystery. Does this sound familiar to anyone??

Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore
Kater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2 2004, 08:10 PM   #21
Pat
Inactive

Thumbs up Re: Super Sleuths

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kater
I'm not a big mystery reader but there was one book (can't remember title or athor sorry :sad: )

It was about a man who had broken his leg and loved to solve ancient mysteries. This time he was delving into the mystery of the prince who was kept in London Tower and presumed to have been killed there or just left to die. In the end I think he had solved the mystery. Does this sound familiar to anyone??
Kater, can't remember the book title, but the author was Josephine Tey. Read that a couple of years ago....its very good.
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3 2004, 12:08 AM   #22
ghyle
Resident Poet
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Fan of: Pern & Freedom
Now Reading: The Umbrella Club / David Brooks

I've always loved Ross Macdonald's fiction, chiefly the Lew Archer books, but his other stuff as well. I came to him via Raymond Chandler, and the works Jan Willem van der weetering, and Maj Sjowall and Per Wahloo. So, in one sense, I've had a yearning for police procedurals as well, but something more and other than your standard Ed McBain.
ghyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4 2004, 08:32 PM   #23
Dux
Renegade

I've recently have been devouring "The Cat Who..." series. I've also been watching Monk on tv - it's hilarious!
Dux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14 2005, 05:25 PM   #24
kendal
Inactive

I enjoy Ellis Peters - not just the cadfael novels but her 'Felse' detective novels which I can't put down once I start reading them.

For a little twist, I adore Randall Garrett's 'Lord Darcy' - A detective who has to deal with magic in an everyday world in which King Richard didn't die. Read Murder & Magic, Too Many Magicians & Lord Darcy Investigates - I think you'll like them.

but not to forget Peter F Hamilton. Mindstar Rising & a Quantum Murder are great!

And I have the Sherlock Holmes omnibus on my shelf as well - always worth going back to.
kendal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1 2005, 05:36 AM   #25
Flinx
Linyaari

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendal
<snip>And I have the Sherlock Holmes omnibus on my shelf as well - always worth going back to.
When reading through this thread I was rather surprised that it took so long before Sherlock Holmes was mentioned.

Besides a 2 volume omnibus set of Doyle's stories I've also got a number of pastiches written by other authors.

Carole Nelson DOUGLAS
Irene Adler
1 - Good Night, Mr. Holmes
2 - Good Morning, Irene aka The Adventuress
3 - Irene At Large
4 - Irene's Last Waltz aka Another Scandal In Bohemia
5 - Chapel Noir
6 - Castle Rouge

Philip José FARMER
The Adventure Of The Peerless Peer

Larry MILLETT
From The Chronicles Of John H. Watson, M.D.
1 - Sherlock Holmes And The Red Demon
2 - Sherlock Holmes And The Ice Palace Murders
3 - Sherlock Holmes And The Rune Stone Mystery
4 - Sherlock Holmes And The Secret Alliance

David PIRIE
The Dark Beginnings Of Sherlock Holmes
1 - The Patient's Eyes

Mike RESNICK & Martin H. GREENBERG, editors
Sherlock Holmes In Orbit

Fred SABERHAGEN
The Holmes-Dracula Files

Ralph VAUGHN
Sherlock Holmes In The Adventure Of The Ancient Gods

Gary LOVISI
Sherlock Holmes: The Great Detective In Paperback

One author of crime fiction I particularly like is Kinky FRIEDMAN.
The Kinky Friedman Crime Club (collects A Case Of Lone Star, Greenwich Killing Time & When The Cat's Away)
More Kinky Friedman (collects Frequent Flyer, Musical Chairs & Elvis, Jesus And Coca-Cola)
Armadillos & Old Lace
God Bless John Wayne
The Love Song Of J. Edgar Hoover
Roadkill
Blast From The Past
Spanking Watson
The Mile High Club
Steppin' On A Rainbow
Meanwhile Back At The Ranch

He & his friends are the main characters. Besides being a writer, he is also a singer/song writer having released a number of albums.

I read Death Of A Gossip, the first Hamish MacBeth novel by M. C. Beaton because I liked the TV series. A big mistake as they were completely different.

Another one that I read because I liked the TV series is Diagnosis Murder. The first two novels are The Silent Partner and The Death Merchant by Lee GOLDBERG. I enjoyed them just as much as the TV series.

I'm currently reading Agatha Christie's Miss Marple Omnibus 1 (collects The Body In The Library, The Moving Finger, A Murder Is Announced & 4.50 From Paddington). i also have Hercule Poirot: The Complete Short Stories and Miss Marple: The Complete Short Stories.
Quote:
Originally Posted by granath
I like Christie, although some of her plots can be a bit thin. They hang on a flimsy assumption about a certain kind of person doing a certain thing, and she does tend to be a bit moralistic at times. What bugs me most, though, is that Poirot was an old man in The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, written in the 1920s, yet still going strong in the 1970s where some of the final stories were obviously set. Same thing is true for Miss Marple, for that matter.
In the Hercule Poirot: The Complete Short Stories, Christie makes mention of this problem stating that she made a mistake by making Poirot so old to start with.

Flinx
Flinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1 2005, 08:42 PM   #26
Shalyn

Location: Loo-a-vull / Luhvuhl / Loo-ih-ville / Loo-a-ville / Looeyville / Lewisville Oh, Heck. Kentuckiana.
Fan of: Dragonflight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi
One of my all-time TV favorites was Columbo. On that show you were told who did the crime and watched the detective figure it out. Sometimes I would deliberately not watch the first 15 minutes of the show so I could enjoy figuring it out with him.
Does anyone here watch Law & Order: Criminal Intent? Has anyone noticed that Vincent DeNofrio is channeling/emulating Columbo? I love that man, and he's getting the mannerisms down so right! But then again, I was a long-time Columbo fan, too.

I've been getting into the animal mysteries. Shirley Rousseau Murphy's Joe Grey series especially, and Carole Nelson Douglas Midnight Louie (though her Irene mysteries are quite good also). Oh, and good old Mrs. Murphy (Rita Mae Brown).

At two different thrift stores I bought a couple of "Jane Austen" mysteries by Stephanie Barron - basically mysteries with Jane Austen as the heroine. Haven't read them yet, though.
Shalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2 2005, 10:06 AM   #27
Sandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghyle
I've always loved Ross Macdonald's fiction, chiefly the Lew Archer books, but his other stuff as well. I came to him via Raymond Chandler, and the works Jan Willem van der weetering, and Maj Sjowall and Per Wahloo. So, in one sense, I've had a yearning for police procedurals as well, but something more and other than your standard Ed McBain.

Don't know if they're available any more but Dell Shannon wrote a string of Police books featuring a California police detective named Mendoza. Not exactly fine literature but very entertaining with some truly strange characters here and there.
Old Mar 3 2005, 06:58 AM   #28
sassie
Inactive

Location: Bristol U.K. but normally in which book i'm reading at the time

I really like the USA series such as CSI (all of them) Criminal Intent and all the series along those lines but its more to do with my fascination in Forensic science!
I don’t want to make anyone jealous but guess who picked up 8 Falco books for £5 and no, I hadn’t read any of them before, but took a chance as it is set in ancient Rome! Not at all bad but not one I’ll be collecting.
sassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7 2005, 04:01 AM   #29
Saphirdrache
Inactive

Fan of: Pern, Lunzie, Freedom etc
Now Reading: Uller Uprising

Oh, Poirot got my attention a long time ago. I used to elder-sit, and my client would fall asleep easily. Wouldn't you know it? She slept thru all of Poirot that eveining, (and it was a real chair-edge episode too!), then just as he began to unfold everything in the last 5 mintes, she woke and and needed help getting up! lol ACK! And i never got to finish that one, dadgummitall!

Tony Hillerman is wonderful! Those are often mysteries to make my skin crawl (pardon the pun!). I havent gotten to see the tv versions yet, but i am very anxious to get to!

Other than that, Larry Niven wrote about Gil Hamilton. I need to reread those books to grasp better how it was done. But at the time i was reading those, about 10 years back, i remember i did like the premise.
Saphirdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31 2005, 01:39 AM   #30
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

I'm not much of a mystery reader, mostly because I'm afraid I'll feel dumb for not figureing it out before the author reveals the killer/solution/whatever (and trust me, I wouldn't figure it out). I should just get over it, though, because I'd probably enjoy them anyhow.

There is one mystery author I read and really like, Aaron Elkins. He's got a series that features an anthropologist, and another with an art curator, and then some one-offs, and they're all wonderfully intelligently written. The anthropologist ones have somewhat of a proto-CSI feel to them, as they piece together each mystery with forensic evidence (mostly bones, of course, but not exclusively).
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31 2005, 06:44 AM   #31
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

I really like Alexander McCall Smith's detective series set in Botswana, starting with The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency. The characters are very real and paint a very interesting picture of modern Africa. It certainly scrapped some of my unconscious stereotypes, I can tell you that.
Old Mar 31 2005, 11:24 AM   #32
geishagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl
I'm not much of a mystery reader, mostly because I'm afraid I'll feel dumb for not figureing it out before the author reveals the killer/solution/whatever (and trust me, I wouldn't figure it out). I should just get over it, though, because I'd probably enjoy them anyhow.
I beleive that when it comes to mystery novels ignorance is bliss. It is much more fun to be surprised when the mystery unravels itself. I am reading "Listen for the Whisperer" by Phyllis A. Whitney. I'm almost done with it and I still don't know who the "Whisperer" is.
geishagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31 2005, 01:32 PM   #33
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

I agree with you, Geishagirl. Mostly I don't even try to figure out who did it in advance.
Old May 21 2005, 03:52 AM   #34
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dux
I've recently have been devouring "The Cat Who..." series.
Me too. I adore Jim Qwilleran, and the cats are hilarious. For anyone who's ever spent any time with cats, their antics are very believable.
Old May 23 2005, 04:48 AM   #35
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl
Why don't you try Dorothy L Sayers. They're written so that NO ONE guesses who it is until the end- and its not always murder- theres at least 1 suicide that you don't find out about until the end. And it doesn't always end with the detective dispearing off into the sunset after the event. They're more personal. More novels than crime fiction, especially in the last 2 books, and you get glimpses into what his life is like in-between, the shell-shock etc.

then you can read them again and see how everything fits together!
Old May 29 2005, 03:37 PM   #36
Brenda

I recently got hooked to a series by Sue Grafton. The titles don't have much to do with the stories, but it makes it easy to keep track - A is for Alibi, B is for Burglar, C is for Corpse.

The books are in first person, in the character of Kinsey Milhone. She is a private investigator (not just someone who happens to be there when a crime occurs!) who often gets in over her head as the book draws to a climax. A lot of the time she's on a simple case and then an old one comes up again, or something unexpected about the new case comes up. The stories have some continuity but it's not a big deal to read out of order, except that you won't understand why it's a big deal that her apartment's been rebuilt if you haven't read the previous book where a bomb went off in it. And she's in the dark just as much as you are until the last possible moment, when she acts on a sudden flash of insight that is soon explained.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3 2005, 06:10 PM   #37
Chertl
Glow

Fan of: Pern series
Now Reading: lots of books to baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphirdrache
Tony Hillerman is wonderful! Those are often mysteries to make my skin crawl (pardon the pun!). I havent gotten to see the tv versions yet, but i am very anxious to get to!
My brother turned me onto Tony Hillerman. I like listening to him read his books on taped. I was working 250 miles away from home and I listened to a LOT of books I probably never would've "read" otherwise. Didn't know there were tv versions of his books. Hmmmmm......I'll have to be on the lookout!
Chertl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24 2005, 09:38 PM   #38
Myt
Stowaway
Senior Apprentice

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: Something, always something...

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_ris
mysterries are great fun! (and very rewarding if you can guess the criminal before the main character! )
I usually do. Especially on tv shows like CSI and Numb3rs(i love that show!)
I know this has nothing to do with TV
Myt is offline   Reply With Quote