A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Aug 23 2014, 12:46 PM   #1
Aleedra
Inactive

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: Dragonsdawn
Snowflake Frozen (Zombie?) Thread

Please forgive me if this has been discussed already-- but I'm developing a game set at Telgar Weyr and this topic has been on my mind:

We all know that cold temps "freeze" Thread. But does it immediately die, or is there a temp range where it goes dormant and can "thaw" if the temperature rises above a certain point?

I've been considering the climate in the upper Northern Barrier Range where Telgar is located. My conclusion is that it would be very similar to a boreal climate on Earth (I'm thinking the NW Territories in Canada, but I'll take other suggestions!)-- meaning only a few months of the year have daytime temps significantly above freezing, but the majority of the time temps hover around or below 32*F.

In my game, Telgar and Igen Weyrs have combined their population and protectorate. This would put them in charge of fighting Thread over a huge chunk of the Northern Continent. My theory of how this is possible: a large section of Telgar's original protectorate consists of cold mountain range and for most of the year the low temps should kill Thread and free the riders up to worry about the warmer, lower altitude portions of their protectorate.

The scary part of this being-- what if the Thread isn't dead but dormant, and comes back to life when it thaws? ZOMBIE Thread!

Whew. Talk about a huge first post! Feel free to tear apart any of it that is patently erroneous. And hello everyone!

TL;DR version- is frozen Thread dead? Or can it come back to life and start eating things once it thaws?
Aleedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24 2014, 03:51 AM   #2
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly
Default Re: Frozen (Zombie?) Thread

It SHOULD be able to revive: otherwise it would never attack anything. Afterall, it has spent a very long period frozen in space and it is only the friction of entry that has activated it.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24 2014, 05:56 PM   #3
skywaterblue
Heavyworlder

Fan of: Moreta
Now Reading: Never Let Me Go

The hard shell that protects Thread from 0 degree temperature burns off in the atmosphere, leaving the innards to fall to Pern. Therefore the innards should always freeze to crackdust in the right conditions, because they no longer have protection.

Sorry. It's a fun idea, however.
skywaterblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24 2014, 10:11 PM   #4
Aleedra
Inactive

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: Dragonsdawn

That's what I was thinking, but I wanted some other opinions on the matter. Because how terrible would it be for a high-altitude Fall to happen in the morning and once the sun comes up about midday, the Thread thaws out and starts eating everything?

I just finished Dragonsdawn this afternoon, and toward the end of the book some of the characters mention a Fall taking place over the mountains and they essentially decide they don't need to meet it because it's over the mountains and who cares anyway? I think this implies that maybe even if Thread falls on a mountainous region, it will have very little vegetation to eat and won't be able to burrow because of the stony ground.

I'm feeling more comfortable about my theory now. I think it's safe to say that any Thread that isn't frozen to death by the cold temperatures will starve.
Aleedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25 2014, 05:50 AM   #5
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Somebody has done a study of Thread written as a scientific paper. I can't find my copy of it.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25 2014, 07:46 AM   #6
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

They don't fight thread much in the colder regions during winter.

In Dragon's Dawn they did not have the man power or equipment to fight every fall, so if it was unlikely to spread they did not bother. In latter passes I think they fought more falls to prevent spreading, even if it was not over a populated area.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13 2015, 07:50 AM   #7
Gilluin
Welladay Whale

Actually I am not sure how thread survives at all in the upper atmosphere after the shell burns off. The Atmosphere on earth is as low as -30f at 30000 feet also the thread shells hit the atmosphere at over 20000 mph and after the shell breaks anything in the shell would still continue at that speed continuing to burn. So even if it survives entry into the troposphere the low temps would freeze it to dust.
Gilluin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14 2015, 10:41 PM   #8
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilluin View Post
Actually I am not sure how thread survives at all in the upper atmosphere after the shell burns off. The Atmosphere on earth is as low as -30f at 30000 feet also the thread shells hit the atmosphere at over 20000 mph and after the shell breaks anything in the shell would still continue at that speed continuing to burn. So even if it survives entry into the troposphere the low temps would freeze it to dust.
The was shown in the book Dragonseye/Red Star Rising The weather wasn't right at Fort and High Reach but it changed to a warmer front at Benden.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote