A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Aug 23 2014, 07:06 PM   #1
Biotrooper
Curlycorn

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: Re-reading Pern novels
Default Metal Weyr Jackets

Hi All,

I was thinking the other day while listening to Dragongirl...why did they not think of adding thin metal sheets into their fighting gear to help reduce scoring. I'm thinking of our version of steel toed boots. I'm sure they could have worked thin sheets of metal into layers of the jacket to provide some extra measure of protection. I'm not talking about wearing a suit of armor like knights. Was aluminum a metal on Pern?

Thanks
Biotrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23 2014, 07:07 PM   #2
Kugai
Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan

Fan of: Tower and Hive Series
Now Reading: Whatever takes my fancy at the moment
Default Re: Metal Weyr Jackets

Full Metal Jacket?

Homepage
FreeBabylon5
FreeBabylon5 Website
Kugai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23 2014, 10:57 PM   #3
Eriflor

They'd need an awful lot of metal to protect 3000 riders --- even if they just covered the vital parts. Something like fencing armor might protect without impairing mobility. Some kind of armored car for the flamethrower crews might have been useful, too.

Aluminum --- I think there was a mention of newly-discovered ore that produced a very light metal in Skies of Pern, not sure where.
Eriflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24 2014, 12:04 AM   #4
Brenda

They wear such heavy hide riding gear to begin with, it seems to protect pretty well for the second it takes to get between. If a really big clump hits you straight on, you're probably dead either way.

What they could use is some type of full face mask. The goggles protect the eyes, but I seem to recall a lot of face injuries, even just from thread char.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24 2014, 01:53 AM   #5
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biotrooper View Post
Hi All,

I was thinking the other day while listening to Dragongirl...why did they not think of adding thin metal sheets into their fighting gear to help reduce scoring. I'm thinking of our version of steel toed boots. I'm sure they could have worked thin sheets of metal into layers of the jacket to provide some extra measure of protection. I'm not talking about wearing a suit of armor like knights. Was aluminum a metal on Pern?

Thanks
Three things: Falling thread can damage thin wire, so a layer of foil won't cut it. Extruding metal into mass-produced sheets is technologically challenging and really needs an industrial culture. And the easiest ways of extracting/refining aluminium are very, very bad for the environment. There are good reasons why we didn't start using it earlier than we did.

In the dragongirl era, you'd be looking at hammered copper, probably. The weight would probably have some impact on the dragon's manoeuvrability unless the rider wore it all the time - obvious changes in body mass will affect flight and manoeuvres on an instinctive level - and the small gains in protection to the rider are a tiny percentage of the target offered by his dragon's body. Do we want riders to feel safer in Fall when nine times out of ten it's their partner that suffers?
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24 2014, 03:46 AM   #6
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

And, the positioning of dragons' eyes gives them an excellent field of vision to spot clumps and swerve away when necessary.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24 2014, 05:52 PM   #7
skywaterblue
Heavyworlder

Fan of: Moreta
Now Reading: Never Let Me Go

The shock cold of between means it would stress fracture a lot, but I've always thought the cost-benefit analysis on this doesn't make sense unless a LOT of deaths in Fall are unknown injuries. If you don't know why Greenth and S'dude failed to return - was it bad visuals or were they hit badly - then maybe you don't investigate preventative measure further.
skywaterblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25 2014, 07:52 AM   #8
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

I think the dragons would need it more than the riders. Their wings are especially venerable. I don't think they would be able to fly with metal on their wings. I can just imagine the chaos of trying to put armor on 3000 dragons at one time.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote