A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Aug 18 2014, 09:41 PM   #1
Brenda

Wink Did F'lar discover Timing first?

...Because it's the only explanation!

Actually, I'm referring to another inconsistency in Dragonflight - we all know about Larth being a green, and T'ton/T'ron, but I never noticed this one before.

I was working on my current story about Kylara being Searched, and for the trip from east Telgar to Benden Weyr I was going on my memory of Menolly's trip west from Benden to the Fort Harper Hall, at the beginning of Dragonsinger. Menolly leaves the Weyr when it is deep night, but arrives at the Hall when it is just dusk. So I had Kylara, leaving Telgar just at dusk, arrive at Benden Weyr when it is deep night.

Then I started reading through the first section of DF to get the details of the Hatching straight, and noticed that F'lar and Lessa leave Ruatha just at dusk, and arrive at the Weyr in bright daylight! There's no way that works - unless he instinctively timed it to get there before the Hatching! Which would be an interesting alternate storyline, I suppose...

Anyone ever notice this little "Anne-consistency" before?
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19 2014, 12:34 PM   #2
Eriflor

Default Re: Did F'lar discover Timing first?

Computer just ate my reply.

If they left Ruatha at dusk at Midsummer, they'd reach Benden early next morning, though possibly not in daylight. But I think the season is spring, and the time difference doesn't seem enough.

Maybe if the rider specifies the place but only a vague NOW for the time, the dragon will sometimes choose to arrive in daylight rather than darkness. Lessa and F'lar were both thinking of a particular date and time when they first went between times.

Eriflor.
Eriflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19 2014, 12:42 PM   #3
skywaterblue
Heavyworlder

Fan of: Moreta
Now Reading: Never Let Me Go

Why wouldn't it work? Think of Benden as the California to Fort/Ruatha's New York. Benden is three hours behind Fort, so that if you go to fight Thread in the Southern Continent and it's early dawn for Fort, it will still be deep night for Benden. (As discussed in RSR/DE.)

If you jump from Benden (California) to Fort (NY) you lose daylight hours. When you go the opposite way, you gain, because you're following the path of the sun. So it's not the Lessa and F'lar trip that is wrong. It's the Menolly trip which is inconsistent with Pern's timezones and that happens well after they discover timing it, which they may have done for her convenience.

Also, Telgar should be the rough equivalent of Chicago, a couple of hours behind Fort and one or two ahead of Benden.
skywaterblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19 2014, 03:24 PM   #4
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywaterblue View Post

Also, Telgar should be the rough equivalent of Chicago, a couple of hours behind Fort and one or two ahead of Benden.
You've got that backwards. East=ahead, West=behind.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19 2014, 09:36 PM   #5
Brenda

Fort, Ruatha and Telgar aren't that far apart as far as longitude, so it would be relatively close time differences between them and the east coast.
Old Aug 21 2014, 01:02 AM   #6
skywaterblue
Heavyworlder

Now Reading: Never Let Me Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
You've got that backwards. East=ahead, West=behind.
http://youtu.be/-J1NHzQ1sgc

Well, I'm going to need to walk this off.
skywaterblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21 2014, 04:01 AM   #7
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

HA! That was funny.
Old Aug 21 2014, 10:33 AM   #8
Brenda

Oh, that one was good! I really have got to watch all of The West Wing someday - I watched some of it when it was on, when my parents were watching, but I missed most of it.

Here's another good one, by the Animaniacs.
Old Aug 21 2014, 03:38 PM   #9
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywaterblue View Post
Why wouldn't it work? Think of Benden as the California to Fort/Ruatha's New York. Benden is three hours behind Fort, so that if you go to fight Thread in the Southern Continent and it's early dawn for Fort, it will still be deep night for Benden. (As discussed in RSR/DE.)

If you jump from Benden (California) to Fort (NY) you lose daylight hours. When you go the opposite way, you gain, because you're following the path of the sun. So it's not the Lessa and F'lar trip that is wrong. It's the Menolly trip which is inconsistent with Pern's timezones and that happens well after they discover timing it, which they may have done for her convenience.

isn't there a six hour different between Benden and Fort? I just found it, in Dragonquest, F'nor back at Benden Weyr after being in Southern Boll, searching, six hours different.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties

Last edited by GinnyStar; Sep 27 2014 at 06:54 PM.
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21 2014, 06:03 PM   #10
Brenda

Benden is on the EAST COAST. Fort is pretty near the center of the continent. Therefore, Benden HAS to be later than Fort.

Six hours would work... assuming they leave the Weyr at well past midnight in Dragonsinger to arrive at Fort (the Harper Hall) as it's just turning dusk. Which fits, considering all that was going on at the Weyr that night!
Old Aug 22 2014, 02:08 AM   #11
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

There are timezones in the atlas and dlg, you know...
Old Aug 22 2014, 09:21 PM   #12
Brenda

I don't have mine with me, so I was just guessing based on what I remembered. Are Telgar, Fort, and Ruatha in different time zones?
Old Aug 23 2014, 06:08 AM   #13
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fort and Ruatha share a time zone.

Tillek is 2.5 hours behind.
Crom is one hour ahead.
Telgar and Ista share a time zone and are two hours ahead
Igen Weyr and Lemos are three hours ahead, Igen hold 3.5
Keroon and Bitra are five hours ahead
Benden: 5.5
Nerat: 6 hours ahead.
Old Aug 24 2014, 03:29 AM   #14
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Back to DF: F'lar arrives late morning at the Pass, but it takes awhile for Fax to ride down to the Hold itself, and I don't think they sit down to dinner until sunset - F'lar uses sunset as an excuse for Mnementh's roar, and a little later, when Less a is fetching the midwife, the dragon's eyes are said to be sparkling in the gathering darkness, so it's well into twilight by then. Gemma's birth is unlikely to be quick - there's flexibility for timelag in several spots in the prose, between the women doing the midwife's bidding and Lessa's reflections, for instance. Then, after the fight, F'lar carries Lessa to his room and she doesn't rouse instantly, nor does Mnementh catch her after her escape until she's had time to reach the upper windows on the heights. When they're all outside again, it's properly dark except for moonlight, so it could easily be past midnight in Ruatha by the time they get the Wing organised and depart. It's *tight*, getting to Benden at a bright, local 8am-ish time of the morning, but I don't think we can rule it out as a possibility.

Put it down to firstnovelitis and Anne not knowing the scale of the continent/world yet.
Old Aug 24 2014, 09:05 PM   #15
Brenda

I thought it was dusk when the watch-wher died. I guess there were just a lot of lights in the courtyard?
Old Aug 25 2014, 04:17 AM   #16
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda View Post
I thought it was dusk when the watch-wher died. I guess there were just a lot of lights in the courtyard?
Moonlight. F'lar muses that Lessa's face is much more appealingly lit.
Old Aug 25 2014, 05:43 AM   #17
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

That's not a nice sentiment from F'lar: his future mistress/wife looks better in a dim light.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25 2014, 07:58 AM   #18
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

Lessa probably did not look that good then. She had been living as s dirty druge for a long time. She probably did look better in the dim light.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25 2014, 09:08 AM   #19
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

She probably still smelt the same however.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25 2014, 08:51 PM   #20
Brenda

Ah, thanks Kath! I guess I skipped that scene when I was rereading bits the other day.

Something else I noticed - F'lar assigns F'nor to get Lytol and arrange for some of the other riders to stay at Ruatha to back Lytol's authority. Then, F'lar drops Lessa off in his weyr, goes to feed Mnementh, and there's F'nor, already feeding Canth, and already having gotten the latest gossip about the other candidates! Of course, we know F'nor's an expert at getting things done quickly and quietly...